Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Ashlesha SankheYour feedback matters!
The vagina is a muscular, tubular structure of the female genital tract extending from the vulva to the cervix (the opening of the urethra). Sexual activity affects vaginal health in a number of different ways during intercourse and in the long term.
A few of the varying effects and the factors responsible for these effects are listed below:
- Changing size of the vagina: The vagina is designed to be elastic and adjustable. So, no permanent change in size is possible but it does undergo temporary changes in sizes as effects of sex. The inner walls of the vagina enlarge during sexual intercourse and during childbirth. Tissues in the clitoris puff out and harden, this also causes an expansion in size. It takes a while to get back to its normal size.
- Vaginal secretion: When you are aroused during sex, the blood vessels supplying the vagina expand immediately. The blood flow increases to lubricate the vaginal walls (rugae). The rugae unfold and the space increases. These secretions are important because, women who are sexually inactive for a long time at a stretch, experience dryness that leads to urinating difficulties and rashes.
- Unusual discharge: Apart from natural lubricants, vagina secretes some fluids, the process being termed as 'female ejaculation'. A tiny amount of white fluid made of prostate plasma cells, is produced just before you climax and discharged with some quantity of urine. Sometimes, prostatic specific antigen (PSA) and prostatic acid phosphatase (usually found in semen) are also found in the secretion.
- Infections in the urinary tract: The friction caused by sexual intercourse may cause small cuts which enable bacteria to pass from the vagina to the urinary bladder through the urethra. This causes infection in the bladder, the urinary tract and the vagina. These can be avoided by using a condom or by urinating before and after having sex.
- Vaginal pain: A lot of women report the experience of pain and discomfort inside or around the vagina during and immediately after sex. The pain can result from repeated sex within a short period of time or reduced secretion of natural lubricants. If the pain is too severe, you should see a doctor because yeast infections or chronic vulvodynia can also be responsible for the pain sensation.
I am 24 year old and I am suffering from PCOS for last 8 years .I used to have krimson35 earlier. But currently I am under homeopathic treatment for the last 2 months and haven't had my period since 2 months (intake of krimson35 is stopped since last 2 months). Is if safe for me to use emergency contraceptive pill (unwanted 72) after having unprotected sex?
Me and girlfriend were messing around today. We used condom all the while. It wS just a one point where we didn't use it. But there was no insertion in the vagina. She's a virgin also. I do not know if it was inserted a little or not. If it all it was inserted also. Just the tip of my penis would've been inserted. And I was stretching her legs also to some extent every time. Later after an hour or so, she told me there was a little bleeding. Just two three drops. Then after an hour or so more she told me there was more bleeding, but along with a mucus kind of thing. I didn't ejaculate. Maybe I was just leaking of precum. We're afraid of what it could be. Could she be pregnant and lost her virginity as well? All this happened today itself. please respond quickly.
Hi doctor. I'm n my 23rd day of my menstrual cycle I had experienced headache. Cramping n my abdomen. Fluid sticky. Am I pregnant. please answer me.
I'm 29/years old. My last period was on March 30 th and till date I on may 9th I haven't received my periods. I have made pregnant test after 4 days of missed period it was negative. When can I take the test again.
Hey, my girlfriend shorts used to get wet after n hour nd she told that like water type used to wet his shorts nd this comes out from her vagina or wt we don't understand plss tell wts that prob nd wt is the soln for that.
I did sex mith my gf in this mont on 7th her due date is 1-2 after over her periods we did sex the she took I pill I want to know after having I pill is it neccesry peeiods have to come agin widin 8 days
I am 45 years old,last period was on 5/1/2015.Usually it's around 23to 30 days.Both boys are ciserian of24,16 years old.Always heavy clotting periods only in nights and periods will be there for 5to7 days till four months back.Last three months the periods was very heavy and day time also it was severe,but was there for3days only.A polyph was removed from uterus 1.5years back,it was not dangerous.Under treatment for sugar and cholesterol for last 13years and under control.Pl let me know the reason for my delay in periods
I am female 24, married since last 9 months. I had medicine for irregular periods and now I m having hair growth on my upper lips and chin. Now I am also having medicines for getting pregnancy. Pls guide what should do. Pls help with proper guidance.
It is a common misbelief that eating home cooked food is the healthiest option. Whenever, we plan to eat out, there is always a question lingering about the cleanliness of the hotel’s kitchen. We need to realize that it is not just the hotel, but our own kitchen should also be taken care of.
Listed below are some commonly overlooked things that could be contributing to your health in a bad way. With kitchen shopping continuing through the years, there are unused and/or overused things, both of which are harmful. Read on to know more.
- Overused utensils: In most homes, the cooking vessels turn brown over a period of time. This happens, especially in metallic ones like aluminium. It is due to leftover food and is a breeding ground for germs. Leaving the vessels for a later wash can lead to these stains getting tougher and the vessel taking on a permanent brownish color. A good way to manage this is to clean the vessels as soon as possible.
- Stained mugs and cups: It is a common belief that tea cups will stain over a period of use, which is not true. In some cases, the hard water has high concentration of calcium carbonate, which mixes with the tea and lead to altered bowel movement and improper digestion. The best way to manage this is to mix vinegar and baking soda and remove the stains.
- Chopping board: First things first. Never use the same chopping board for your meat and your veggies. The germs from the uncooked meat affect the vegetables also. As the bacteria continues to grow, in about 10 minutes, there will be double the number of bacteria that will affect the vegetables.
- Chipped melamine dishware: While the melamine kitchenware is unbreakable, do not use them at high temperatures. This can cause it to chip and melamine leaks into the food, causing kidney stones and renal failure. A good way to avoid this risk is not to heat food in the melamine dishes.
- Non-stick cookware: While nonstick ware helps reduce the amount of oil used, constant use erodes the coating and slowly the chemical is leaked, which can add carcinogenic elements into your dosa or roti. This can cause liver and stomach problems with continued use.
- Coffee makers: The reservoir in the coffee makers hoards a whole lot of bacteria and can cause various diseases. Thorough cleaning with hot water can help you keep it clean.
These are some of the common ways your kitchen can affect your health, there are definitely more. So, keep your kitchen clean for a healthier life. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.