Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Neurologists in India. You will find Neurologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Surgery Of The Facial Nerve
Radiofrequency Neurotomy Procedure
Spine Surgery Treatment
Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi) Treatment
Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi)
Assistive Walking Device Training
Vagus Nerve Stimulation ( Epilepsy )
Submit a review for Dr. Anaita Udwadia HegdeYour feedback matters!
Hi, My hands tremble sometimes. Is it because of weakness or is it because of some disease? Please help.
My mother 82 years, has been diagnosed with Parkinsynosis after trial and error from several physicians and surgeons who first treated her for NPH for around 3 years, and also for bi-polar disease for about a decade. She seems to be on the path of recovery as far as the Parkinson's disease is concerned. But she has movement problems is not able to stand on her feet/legs and needs to be lifted. She also has problems with her back. We have been advised to give her Neuro-physiotherapist support. Kindly advise.
Nerve pain or peripheral neuropathy, as it is medically known, is characterized by pain, numbness and weakness that arise out of nerve damage. This pain is usually restricted to the feet and the hands.
What are the common causes?
Diabetes is the most common cause for this condition. However, other causes, such as injuries, infections and prolonged exposure to certain toxins can also trigger nerve pain.
How can you control nerve pain?
Nerve pain can be managed and taken care of at home taking into consideration the points that have been mentioned below:
- Topical Painkillers: Certain over the counter ointments and creams can help relieve nerve pain. These medications act as local anesthetics; that is they numb the area of the pain. Capsaicin, a derivative of chili peppers, is one of the major ingredients used in these medicines. Others use botanical oils as the major ingredients.
- Painkillers: There are painkillers available OTC which can curb nerve pain. However, painkillers such as ibuprofen, aspirin and acetaminophen do not really work well for severe pain of the nerves.
- Supplements: The lack of Vitamin B12 is considered to be a very important cause, and at times, a catalyst for nerve pain. In a case such as this, Vitamin B12 supplements or injections might be administered. Although more research needs to go into this, but certain supplements, especially gamma-linolenic and alpha-lipoic acid can help soothe nerve pain caused by diabetes.
- Acupuncture: This time honored Chinese approach is a proven alleviator of nerve pain. Acupuncture releases chemicals which numb the pain, or prevent the pain signals from travelling to the brain.
- Physical Therapy and Massages: Physical Therapy can especially heal and strengthen weak muscles that can stem from acute nerve damage and pain. Though more evidence is needed, according to a few sufferers of this condition, massages can be helpful with the tremendously painful muscle spasms that can so often result from nerve pain.
- Relaxation Techniques: In combination with the above mentioned approaches, relaxation techniques can go a long way in relieving debilitating neural pain. Besides being helpful with dealing and reducing a few stress phases of life which can cause nerve pain, these techniques might actually root out the actual pain itself.
- Lifestyle Modifications: This one’s always a winner! Eating a well-balanced diet that guarantees all nutrients in uniform amounts can never go wrong. Regular exercises for about 30-45 minutes can remedy different types of pain; nerve pain being one of them. Try and limit alcohol intake (a peg once a week won’t harm one, but binge drinking can play the ultimate spoilsport and make all health plans go topsy-turvy!). Abstain from smoking or chewing tobacco as this is usually the primary contributor towards any medical condition or disorder.
- Interventional pain therapy: It is newer mode of pain therapy for many neuropathic pain conditions, where regular pain therapies don't work. It is done in operation theater under fleuroscopy guidance as per MRI or other investigation report with clinical examination.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult the doctor and ask a free question.
I want an advise for my hand when I drive a cycle or scooty my hand fingers become numb after 5 to 10 minutes drive. Why it happens what is a remedy for getting out of it.
Dear sir, my father is 80 yrs old and he has numbness (burning sensation) in his feet can you suggest best medicine
My wife frequently suffering with migraine headache before marriage she using specticules now not using because that reason or else any problem kindly suggest me how can she overcome the problem ?
My father has tremors in hands since last three months. Consulted general physician he told it may be early stage of parkinson. Also suggested to take mri scan. But I have few doubts over these that all tremors r linked to parkinson else what r the other causes for tremors thank you.
My aunt aged 36 years got her ct scan report and doc says she hasbrain tumour. Would like to know if brain tumor is curable or at which stage. How can sure. About this?
I am surfing from epilepsy from 15 year. Taking two pills of Valprol CR 300 MG and levipil 500 MG twice in the day form 5 year. From 3 year I have not suffered form any stroke or any conscious but form these tablet I have severed some side effect like memory impairment, headache, dizziness, stupor, somnolence, convulsion, disorder, abdominal pain, anemia thrombocytopenia, weight increased, extrapyramidal disorder, deafness, tremor Please suggest can I stop to take this table or change the tablet.
Parkinson's disease is a disorder of the brain that leads to tremors and difficulty with walking, movement and coordination. It most often develops in people age 50 or older and is one of the most common nervous system disorders of the elderly, according to the National Institutes of Health. There is no known cure.
The major 12-year study in Taiwan found that while diabetes increases the risk of Parkinson's 2.2 fold, including metformin in the therapy negates that risk.
“An exciting aspect of the finding is that metformin seems to be working to protect the brain against neurodegeneration which contributes to Parkinsonism. This means it may also be considered a relevant therapy for the prevention of dementia as well,” said Mark Wahlqvist, professor at the National Health Research Institutes in Taiwan and lead author of the study.
Metformin is the first-line medication for patients with type 2 diabetes. This affordable and commonly prescribed oral drug lowers blood glucose levels by decreasing the amount of glucose produced by the liver and enhancing insulin action. It's a type of biguanide drug used since the 1950s with a relatively safe record.
Researchers also found that use of sulfonylurea drugs, a common treatment for diabetes, further increases the risk by about 57 percent.
Sylfonylureas are a category of oral medications that stimulate the beta cells of the pancreas to release more insulin, according to the American Diabetes Association. Sylfonylurea drugs have been in use since the 1950s and include glipizide, glyburide, glimepiride and chlorpropamide.
Researchers theorize that metformin may re-set the regulation of energy metabolism in the brain cells. They suspect that exercise and diet may have the same energy regulating effect.
The study does not examine the mechanism behind metformin's protective effect on the brain. Researchers say that additional research is needed in this area.
Past research has shown that metformin reduces cardiovascular mortality and several cancers, including those of the large bowel, liver and pancreas.