Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Anahita Chauhan
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Anahita ChauhanYour feedback matters!
The branch of medicine dealing with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer is called oncology. The subdivisions of oncology include medical oncology, radiation oncology and surgical oncology. Cancer is an umbrella term for a group of diseases which involves abnormal cell growth causing potential invasion to other parts of the body and the branch of science dealing with the treatment of cancer is oncology.
Radiotherapy is a kind of cancer treatment which involves the usage of high energy rays, such as X-rays or rays of electrons to treat the disease. In this therapy, the cancer cells are destroyed using these rays. Normal cells along with the cancerous cells also get destroyed due to exposure to the strong rays. However, normal cells can restore themselves but cancerous cells cannot.
Radiotherapy is planned very carefully to avoid the damage to as many healthy tissues as possible. However, damage to some healthy tissues is inevitable, which is the major side effect of this treatment.
Usage of Radiotherapy
A lot of patients with cancer have radiotherapy as a part of their cancer treatment. The reasons behind using radiotherapy could be-
- Curative reason- radiotherapy is suggested with the aim of destroying a certain tumour and thus curing cancer with it. This is also known as a radical treatment.
- Palliative reason- radiotherapy is recommended to the patients when there is no possible way to cure cancer, but with this treatment. The further growth of the tumor can be controlled or the various symptoms such as pain or coughing can be relieved.
Ways of Radiotherapy Treatment
There are two ways in which radiotherapy is commonly given-
- The radiotherapy which is given from outside the body is known as external beam radiotherapy.
- The radiotherapy given using a material that is placed inside the body is called internal radiotherapy.
The type of radiotherapy to be given to the patient depends on the type of cancer the patient has and the body part which is affected by it. Some cancers require both external and internal radiotherapy.
In certain situations, chemotherapy is required to be given to the patients along with radiotherapy. This is called chemo radiotherapy or chemo radiation. Chemotherapy basically uses anti-cancer drugs which make the cancerous cells more sensitive to radiotherapy, thereby enhancing the treatment process. However, both these therapies are very powerful, each with their own side effects. Hence, chemo radiation can sometimes have worse side effects.
- IMRT: Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) is a new technology in radiation oncology that delivers radiation more precisely to the tumor while relatively sparing the surrounding normal tissues. IMRT is being used most extensively to treat cancers of the prostate, head and neck, and central nervous system. IMRT has also been used in limited situations to treat breast, thyroid, lung, as well as in gastrointestinal, gynecologic malignancies and certain types of sarcomas. IMRT may also be beneficial for treating pediatric malignancies.
- IGRT: Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) is the use of imaging during radiation therapy to improve the precision and accuracy of treatment delivery. IGRT is used to treat tumors in areas of the body that move, such as the lungs. Radiation therapy machines are equipped with imaging technology to allow your doctor to image the tumor before and during treatment. By comparing these images to the reference images taken during simulation, the patient’s position and/or the radiation beams may be adjusted to more precisely target the radiation dose to the tumor.
- Stereotactic radiation therapy is mainly used to treat small brain tumours that are either malignant or benign. It is used to treat:
- Tumours deep within the brain: Tumours that are hard to reach or that cannot be removed by surgery because doing so would damage too much normal brain tissue
- A recurrence or metastasis in the brain
- Stereotactic radiation may also be used to give an additional dose of radiation (boost) to the brain after conventional external beam radiation therapy to kill any remaining cancer cells.
This is just the basic overview of radiotherapy. One important thing that should be kept in mind is that radiotherapy treatments are planned depending on the condition of the patient. So even if two individuals suffer from the same type of cancer, the radiotherapy treatments might be different.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Build your bonesSpinach,radicchio and watercress may not immediately come to mind as foodsfor keeping bones strong, but all contain lots of vitamin K. A study at TuftsUniversityin Boston found that low dietary intake of vitamin K in women was associated with low bone mineral density. (Thestudy didn’t find a link in men.) Just one cup (250 mL) of chopped watercresshas 100 percent of your daily vitamin K; radicchio, 120 percent; and spinach,170 percent.Sharpen your eyesightTosstogether a salad of spinach,romaine and red leaf lettuce: They all contain loads of the carotenoids vitaminA, lutein and zeaxanthin’key to seeing better. Vitamin A helps eyes adapt from brightlight to darkness. Lutein and zeaxanthin can help filterout high-energy light that may cause eye damage from free radicals.Rev up your musclesRecentSwedish research found that inorganic nitrate ‘abundant in spinach‘resultedin muscles using less oxygen. Thestudy, which had healthy participants ride an exercise bike before and aftertaking a dose of nitrate, found it improved the performanceof the mitochondria’which power our cells’in muscles.Protect your heartWhipup a Caesar salad to benefit from romaine’s high levels of two heart-healthynutrients: Two cups (500 mL) of shredded romaine contain 40 percent of yourdaily needs of folate and 10 percent of fibre. A study done at TulaneUniversity in New Orleans showed that the higher the level of folate in aperson’s diet, the lower the risk of stroke and cardiovascular disease. Soluble fibre hasbeen shown to reduce the level of LDL (low-density lipoprotein) or ‘bad’cholesterol.Reduce risk of diabetesChronic magnesiumdeficiency has been linked to an increased risk of type 2 diabetes andthe development of insulin resistance. Twocups (500 mL) of spinach contain 16 percent of your daily magnesium needs;arugula has six percent.
I am suffering by fibro adenoma. I had an operation to remove. But now two more tumors are present. What is the cause?
After intrauterine death at 32 weeks delivered by cesarean. We will plan to conceive within 6 month after cesarean? is it okay?
I have tested VDRL, URINE R/E and urine culture as prescribed by urologist. There are no symptoms on physical examination. VDRL is non reactive, URINE R/E normal and Urine culture report says NO URINARY PATHOGEN IS ISOLATED IN CULTURE AFTER 48 HRS OF INCUBATION does this mean I do not have any infection? Do I am safe from STDS or HIV .please advice.
My girlfriend missed her periods may I know the reason! her last period was at 24/12/17. She skipped her periods on 24/1/18 wat is the reason.
Respected mam. My age is 26 married 2 years ago planning for kids since 8 months. Periods are irregular since 4 months. I went for tvs bt intolerable it did not go inside. Tight introitus. My husbands semen count is 12 million. We lost all d hopes and we are in severe depression what should we do now? Please do needful for us. thanks all fr giving wonderful advices.
For most couples, having a child is their dream come true. For those who are not able to see this dream come true, the reasons could be due to issues in either the male or the female (impotence or infertility respectively). There could be multiple underlying causes of impotency and infertility including physiologic reasons and strained relationships.
As with all other conditions, homoeopathy looks at both impotence and infertility as a whole and tries to provide a remedy not just to the issue at hand, but to the problem as a whole.
Impotence: Common causes for impotence include hormonal issues, neurologic disturbances, psychological issues, and pathological causes like infections, inflammation, etc. The first step in treatment depends on identifying the underlying cause, and then giving a remedy. Some of the common homoeopathy medicines are listed below, but self-medication is not advisable.
- In cases where emotional desire and physical ability are lacking, Agnus Castus is used effectively. In these patients, the genital organs are usually cold, flaccid, and relaxed.
- In people who have mental depression, Caladium is the treatment of choice. The desire is strong but the erections are very weak in these people.
- In men with rapid, involuntary semen discharge, Selenium is indicated
- In men with low sperm count, x-Ray helps to improve both quantity and quality of sperms.
- In men with small testes and/or prostate enlargement, Sabal Serrulata is used effectively.
Infertility: This is caused by a multitude of factors including structural abnormalities in the pelvic organs, endometriosis, ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids, hormonal imbalances, pelvic inflammatory disease, infections like Chlamydia and gonorrhoea), blocked fallopian tubes, or thyroid disorders. The underlying reason should first be identified before treating infertility. Some of the commonly used homoeopathy medicines are listed below.
- In females with infertility due to acid vaginal discharges, Borax and Natrum Phos are used. Borax is used where the discharge is copious, warm, and resembles egg white. Natrum Phos is used in cases where the discharge is creamy and honey coloured and sour smelling.
- In women with menorrhagia or dysfunctional bleeding, Calcarea Carb is used. The periods are usually ahead of time, are too heavy, and last very long. Aletris farinose is used when the periods are heavy and early along with a history of frequent abortions.
- In women with irregular, scanty periods, Pulsatilla and Sepia are indicated. Pulsatilla is used when there are multiple ovarian cysts. Sepia is used in women who have a bearing down sensation of the uterus.
Of note, in both impotence and infertility, self-medication is not advised. The doctor will have a detailed discussion to find out what is right for you. For best results, involve the partner as well.