Doctor in Dr.Shyam Mithiya's Psychiatry & Sex Clinic
Submit a review for Dr.Shyam Mithiya's Psychiatry & Sex ClinicYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I was panicked, because I never thought I will suffer from erectile dysfunction like this. He is so nice that they even at odd hours one can call him in case of emergency. My boss referred me this Shyam Mithiya. I had lost hope, but the erectile dysfunction given by Shyam Mithiya has helped me regain my confidence. The lab in the drShyam Mithiya's Psychiatry & Sex Clinic was very clean and well managed. I feel so great after the completion of treatment. He definitely is aware about the latest and advanced ways to treat serious cases.
Hie, I am 32 years of age and wedded, I was experiencing erectile brokenness, which was likewise a noteworthy issue for my wedded life as my better half and I used to battle a great deal because of this. I likewise went to a great deal of different choices too and I abandoned specialists yet in conclusion a companion of mine educated me regarding Dr. shyam mithiya , so I went by him and I was so glad after the treatment he gave me. And furthermore his recommendation was extremely useful moreover.
Genuenly saying that shyam mithiya is a kind specialist with a decent staff and offices. I might want to express his ability in his specialities as I went by him for my sexual issue. My age is 37 years and was goiong through some sexual issues because of which I used to get aggravated and after that chose to go and get some assistance from specialist. After a considerable measure of pursuit I discovered Dr. shyam. I am presently an happy patient. God favor you sir.
I went to dr. shyam for my erection issue as he is a champion among the most famous pro for sexology in India. I live in delhi so it ended up being significantly more easy to guide him as he sits in delhi in a manner of speaking. I was content with Dr. shyams caring aura and illumination of the medicinal issue. The solution given by him and the treatment was adequate. I would state it is an impetus for money. Staff are amazingly pleasing, there charm great.
I was somewhat suspicious about my STD so I went to him for my STD check up and Treatment. I am Happy with Doctor. Dr. shyam is managing the circumstance of a champion among the most really and reasonably went up against issue of the overall population with yet no cure, so coolly just as he had as of late analyzed the entire story that I expected to inform inside a couple regarding minutes to judge my affliction and treatment for a comparative any tests.
I was suffering from hiv aids for which I consulted Dr Shyam.Thanks to the expert care and guidance, I feel much better than before. Even in case of long queues, the staff was managing people in a very positive manner. No matter how critical be the situation, he is always very calm. My problem was such that it required a number of sessions, and I must say after all the sessions, I am feeling much better now. Thanks to him for the treatment.
Our family physician personally recommended Dr Shyam Mithiya. He is so pleasant to talk to and always ready to answer your doubts. Shyam Mithiya is well aware about innovative techniques to treat problems. I was having very bad thoughts regarding my nightfall. Even though there was a long queue, still the staff was very pleasant. It was amazing, the DrShyam Mithiya's Clinic was so nicely made. Overall nightfall treatment was very effective.
I was in so much stress due to my problem of low sperm count. The DrShyam Clinic is decorated very nicely and doesn't look like a hospital. even after consulting a number of doctors, I was not getting any relief. I am so happy with the results of my treatment, that I will surely recommend Shyam Mithiya to anyone gladly. The staff was very attentive to my needs.
I am so much benefitted with his treatment for premature ejacuation, that I am perfectly fine now. Whatever tests Dr Shyam Mithiya prescribed, were very correct and the gave they gave us an exact idea about my condition. Hygiene is very important, and I must DrShyam's Clinic was extremely clean. No matter how critical be the situation, he is always very calm.
I was shocked to experience the masturbation addiction.My boss referred me Dr Shyam. He ensures that he gives enough time to each patient. I have consulted so many doctors , but no one was able to solve my masturbation addiction. Both Shyam Mithiya and staff were very helpful. I'am almost on the path to recovery, Thanks to Dr Shyam for the perfect advice.
I was shocked to experience the symptoms of male sexual problems . But I am so happy that I chose Dr Shyam for my treatment as now I am perfectly fine. My problem was such that it required a number of sessions, and I must say after all the sessions, I am feeling much better now. He is not just friendly, but also is very motivating.
i was facing a lot of problems while having intercouse, all of it was happening for the first time to me. Even the ED was a major issue and also it started recently. I got scared and went to doctor shyam . He is a nice doctior and listemned to my problem nicely. I am completely fine now. Thnk u docotr.
Doctor shyam is a well disciplined and an amzing doctor, i visited him for my problem as i am 33 now. There are a great deal of good things I saw about him which I might want to say here : Dr. shyam mithiya is a decent audience and a tutor too. His solution is exceptionally useful and up to the check.
Hello i am 26 male, and went by specialist for my wedded couple issue. I was extremely content with his illumination of the therapeutic issue. Each something were fine anyway the treatment that they recommended me was not sensible for me and I think for a few, different people
I was in search of a well experienced sexologist, as somene referred Dr Shyam. The tight foreskin treatment given by him was very effective. I owe him a big thank for the best suitable treatment he gave.
I went to dr. shyam for my elder siblings disease which he was experiencing from past 5-7 months. Dr. shyam mithiya gave the correct guidance remembering my siblings wellbeing and age. God favor him.
Dr Shyam is a sexology specialist. I consulted him for my small penis treatment. His guidance and prescription has helped me immensly. I owe him abig thank for the treatment he offered.
Visited him for my wifes problem which she was suffering from a 10-15 days. Dr. shyam mithiya gave the right advice keeping my mothers age in mind. May he do really good in life.
Erectile dysfuntion was my problem due to which i visited him. he is a good dctor. Thank u sir. U saved my life qand also solved my issues and doubt. God bless you doc
Have had a very pleasant experience...one of the most talented docs...would recommend anyone n evryone to visit him. One word to decribe the doc is Problem solver
Low or reduced libido has been a point of concern for many years and if left neglected it can negatively impact your love life. Read on to know how you can boost your libido with these ornamental tips.
- Have a positive mental attitude and keep your stress level low: If you feel good and self confident you may feel more sexual and attractive to your partner.
- Consider, but do not overly rely on supplements that claim to increase your libido.Take a bite out of a forbidden fruit: Figs, bananas and avocados, for example, are considered libido-boosting foods, known as aphrodisiacs. And they are provide certain vitamins smooths the blood flow..
- Be a poser: Yoga does more than just get you limber, it may boost your libido, too. Yoga may also improve your orgasms by increasing blood flow down there.
- Indulge in all things chocolate: Throughout history, chocolate has been a symbol of desire. Not just because of its delicious taste, but because of its power to improve sexual pleasure.
- Find out which scenarios spark magic for you and your partner: You do not need to recreate every detail from those scenes. With a little imagination, improvisational role-playing, you can incorporate one or two key elements from the scene, such as a costume or a prop - and create a scenario that is likely to liven the mood.
- Take your daily herbs: Ginkgo biloba, an extract derived from the leaf of the Chinese ginkgo tree, is another herb found to treat antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction.
- Seek the help of a sex therapist, if necessary: If you are experiencing sexual problems that prevent you from desiring, initiating, or enjoying sex, consider whether these issues may be psychological in origin.
- Be patient: If you have a partner who is being treated for lost interest in and enjoyment in sex, or for issues relating to sexual performance, be patient and realize that treatment can take several months or more to be effective.
- Take a whiff: Whiffing can also work for you. But the scent of your man postworkout might do just that. Sniffing his sweat can increase your level of the stress hormone cortisol, which may boost arousal.
Sex is meant to be a pleasurable activity, but sometimes it can be painful for the man involved. Pain can be a symptom of a number of health conditions like an illness or infection or a physical or psychological problem.
Some of these conditions are:
- Peyronie's Disease: This is commonly known as erectile dysfunction and is characterized by the inability to achieve and maintain an erection. It can be a genetic problem or triggered by a traumatic accident. This makes the scar tissue in the penis bend thus making any sort of sexual activity painful and difficult.
- Prostatitis: This condition is characterized by the inflammation of the prostate gland. This causes pain, swelling and painful ejaculation. Prostatitis can affect men at any age and can also contribute towards erectile dysfunction and a lowered libido.
- Urinary Tract Infections: Urinary tract infections affect both men and women. When it comes to men, it can cause pain during ejaculation and a burning sensation while urinating. It can also make the penis emit a foul smell. A yeast infection can also lead to an itching or burning sensation around the tip of the penis.
- Dermatitis: The skin around the penis is thinner than skin in other parts of the body. Sometimes, the skin in a man's genital area can be allergic to soaps, creams, fragrances etc. This can trigger inflammation and itchiness making sex uncomfortable. Such allergies are noted more commonly in men who have been circumcised.
- Herpes: Genital herpes can cause painful sores to erupt on the penis. This may be accompanied by an itching or tingling sensation. Herpes is also a sexually communicable disease and sex should be abstained from if you suffer from herpes.
- Psoriasis: Genital psoriasis can make the skin on the penis and scrotum dry and scaly. This can affect men of all ages. With friction, these scales can fall off leaving raw skin that is prone to bleeding. While non scaly plaque is more common in uncircumcised men, circumcised men are prone to scaly plaque. This condition can also be very itchy.
- Phimosis or Paraphimosis: Phimosis is a congenital condition where the foreskin of the penis is too tight to completely retract over the head of the penis. Paraphimosis is a condition where the foreskin cannot be pulled over the head as it is stuck behind it. In both cases, it can make having an erection very painful and can make intercourse uncomfortable.
So, it is always recommended to consult a sexologist regarding any of the condition of pain and uneasiness in sex before it gets worse as penis is a very delicate organ of a man. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The birth control pill is one of the best inventions in the medical field. At the same time, it has been misused and abused also. Whether it is to avoid pregnancy or to fight other hormonal issues like ovarian cysts or even severe acne, birth control pills are used extensively for purposes beyond what they were originally meant for. There are a lot of hidden facts about the oral contraceptive pills (OCP) or the birth control pills (BCP). Read on to know more!
- Plays with your mood: So, if you have experienced PMS, this is not new to you. Remember that chemically speaking, the BCP or OCP is just a dose of hormones. Therefore, it is very natural for a woman to have mood changes when taking the pills. You may experience anxiety and the irritability which sometimes can be hard to deal with.
- Affects sex life: It affects your sex life in multiple ways – reduces libido, shrinks the clitoris, and causes vaginal dryness due to the excessive hormones. All this, in effects, spells less sex, at least less enjoyable sex.
- Intestinal damage: The pill alters the normal bacteria present in the stomach. These bacteria are essential for the proper digestion and absorption of foods including vitamin B12, B6, B2, and C. Minerals like selenium, zinc, magnesium are also not properly absorbed. Therefore, the woman taking these over a long term can have these nutritional deficiencies. They are also more prone to develop stomach infections.
- Increased blood pressure: The pill causes increased blood pressure by constriction of the blood vessels. This in turn can lead to various other conditions like migraines, visual disturbances, increased risk of stroke, etc. Studies have suggested that the risk of BP increase is higher when the woman is also a smoker.
- Cancer connection: The OCP when regularly used can also cause cancer of the lungs, liver, ovaries, uterus, and endometrium. The estrogen level is constantly on the higher side, which in some cases can lead to cervical cancer. A woman taking OCP for 5 years or more should get evaluated for cervical cancer regularly.
- Beneficial too: For women in their early 40s who are not yet into menopause, taking the BCP under supervision can help in controlling symptoms like hot flashes and irregular bleeding.
- Other medicines interactions: If you are taking other medications, then talk to your doctor before popping that pill repeatedly. Antibiotics, antidepressants, and medical supplements should be discussed with your doctor before taking the pill.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
It might be surprising for many to know that sex, along with pleasure, can offer several benefits as well. Sleeplessness, stress, weight gain, and heart problems are a few of the many conditions that find relief with regular sex.
Yes, making love can do wonders for your health, in various ways. Sex is a part of life that people usually relate to pleasure and intimacy, both physical and emotional. Here is an account of the health benefits sex can offer you-
1. Boosts the immune system
Studies have shown sex to be extremely effective in increasing the production of immunity-boosting IgA or antibody immunoglobulin A. Increased levels of IgA results in boosting the immunity power of the body as it makes the body stronger against infections and illnesses.
2. Improves the heart health
Regular sex can not only boost the health of your heart but can also prevent risks of heart attacks. In both men and women, engaging in sex can be a great form of cardiovascular exercise that can reduce the risks of hypertension, stroke, and heart-related diseases. Sex is considered to be an effective way of burning calories which is certainly beneficial to not only your heart but to your overall health.
3. Lowers blood pressure and manages stress
From lowering the blood pressure to relieving one from stress and anxiety, sex can be healthy in various different ways. Sex is responsible for increasing certain hormone levels in the body, such as endorphin which helps in creating a good mood and relieving stress. Even when under stress, sex has a significant role to play in preventing the blood pressure from rising up.
4. Ensure better sleep
Sound sleep leads to sound health. And various studies have shown that once orgasm is achieved, certain hormones are released that can make one feel relaxed and sleepy. Therefore, having a satisfying session of sex can help you achieve uninterrupted sleep. And when the sleep you have is an undisturbed and profound one, waking up next will naturally be a refreshing experience with energetic feelings.
5. Improves bladder control
In women, regular sex helps in strengthening the pelvic floor. And a strong pelvic floor is necessary for reducing the risks of incontinence, contractions, etc. So, in a way, sex helps in improving women's control over the bladder. Plus, a strong pelvic floor can also be beneficial in reducing the chance of vaginal prolapse and making the penetration less painful during sex.
In case you experience any sexual issues that prevent you from enjoying the experience with your partner, it is advised to opt for immediate medical attention. Consult with a sexologist if need be, as sex is an integral part of not only the reproduction process but also the overall health.
A good sex life is essential for overall emotional and physical well-being. No matter how big or small the problem is, there are various ways that a couple can improve their sex life. However, to be able to do that you must understand that the sexual well-being is extremely important for your mental, emotional and physical health. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, proper diet and most importantly communicating with your partner can go a long way in helping you get through the tough times.
Read on to know some tips that can help bring back the lost spark and boost your sex life:
1. Talk to your partner
You may often find it difficult to discuss the sex-related problem with your partner. This could be due to various reasons such as a feeling of shame, hurt, guilt or resentment. Few things that can help have a frank conversation with your partner are: find a right time, do not criticize, be completely honest and confide in your partner.
Tip: It is important to understand that sexual performance does not equate with love. Having sexual difficulties does not mean that the love between the two of you is lost.
2. Strategize and focus on self-help
Dealing with a sexual problem is much easier now. There are various medications that can enhance the sexual experience. Taking help from professional sex therapists can also be an excellent way to deal with major sexual difficulties. Making changes in your style in bed can also spice up your sex life, here are few things that can help: Getting ready for the act, maintaining physical affection, engaging in foreplay, taking control during the sexual act and trying different positions.
Tip: Experimenting with sex toys or engaging in roleplay can add spice to your sex life and help get rid of sexual problems.
3. Maintaining a good health
Sexual well-being is directly connected with your overall health. Therefore, maintain a healthy lifestyle and keeping good health can do wonders for your sex life. Taking care of few factors such as: eating right, exercising, managing your weight, quitting smoking and drinking can definitely improve sexual health.
Tip: Seeking help can be a great option when above-mentioned tips don’t work. Proper counselling can help in identifying the problem and finding a solution for the same.
4. Reduce stress
Stress can be one of the major causes of many health issues, one of them being the loss of libido. Excessive stress can also increase blood pressure. Both stress and blood pressure can damage sexual health and performance. Exercise can go a long way in reducing stress, thus improving sexual health. Stress can result in irritation, mood swings and engaging in habits like alcohol consumption and smoking which can hamper sexual performance.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The coitus was great, but after everything is over, why do you feel so sad and depressed? If you feel like fleeing or if you need some reassuring physical contact after intercourse, you might be suffering from a psychological condition called 'post-coital tristesse' (PTC)
What does it mean?
Post-coital is a Latin phrase while tristesse is a French word which literally translates to “sadness”. If you suffer from PCT, you might experience intense feelings of uneasiness, anxiety or sorrow immediately after coitus, or even two hours later.
Why does it happen?
- There are specific hormonal changes during sex and immediately after it. Two main hormones involved are ‘dopamine’ and ‘prolactin’. Dopamine is a neuro-hormone that precedes the release of adrenaline and is linked with feelings of pleasure and sexual arousal; while prolactin is the hormone responsible for producing milk in women (men secrete it as well). Dopamine is released in copious amounts during sex, so to counter this, prolactin is released. Prolactin drastically reduces dopamine levels, and this can make you sad.
- The other cause is psychological. Under the influence of dopamine, you might end up saying things you regret later. This too can result in sadness and depression.
Is it different for men and women?
Yes, men and women handle PCT very differently. Men feel like leaving so that they feel less sad. On the other hand, some men choose to stay, which only worsens their condition. It makes them associate sex with melancholic feelings. Women, on the other hand, crave for reassurance and physical touch from their partners. Nice words or cuddling can ease their discomfort. Suffering from this might result in disaster for them. When the man flees and the woman needs reassurance, it will lead to negative feelings about sex and development of resentment for each other.
Can abstinence and avoidance help?
Abstinence can help if you do not have an active sex life. Time away from sex can actually help you understand your problems better. However, abstinence can trigger depression, low self-esteem and extreme emotions of loneliness.
Are there any other solutions?
Communication and therapy are traditionally the best treatments for PCT. Talking to a therapist, alone or together with your partner, can help you with a solution.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Can sex really lead to weight gain or loss? Well, there are a lot of differences of opinion about the impact of sex on a body. However, there are many researches that suggest that having too much sex leads to weight gain among women. On the other hand, there are also views, which say that sex helps to burn calories. So let us discuss the two aspects separately.
Sex and Weight Gain
There are reports where women say they gain weight on their hips and breasts after making love. The reason behind this weight gain can be the hormone “prolactin”. It stimulates fatherly love and milk production. The level of hormone in the blood levels increases especially when orgasm is reached after sex.
However, it is a common belief that people after marriage often tend to gain weight. Not only women, but men also gain a lot of weight after their marriage. But scientists believe it has nothing to do with sex as there are no physiological reasons to establish that.
After marriage, people get a sense of security and they start living happily with their life partners. This reason is considered to be more predominant behind weight gain in people.
Researches show that when compared to people in relationships, single people eat less. After getting married, couples have meals together and calorie intake goes high naturally. Researchers also say that a happy and secure relationship can actually increase the appetite. Nonetheless, men and women may not be aware that they are eating more than usual because of their happy relationship.
Hence, to make sure you are not putting on excess weight after marriage, keep your diet in check. A healthy diet and a little bit of regular exercise go a long way in helping you remain in good shape.
Sex and Weight Loss
The fact is you actually burn some calories after you exhaust yourself in bed. Figures suggest that on an average, 100 calories get burned in 30 minutes of passionate sex. So the more active you are in bed, the more you lose weight.
According to another study, the amount of stress on the heart of young married men during sex is tantamount to walking up to two flights of stairs. During sex, the heart rate goes as high as 130, which is considered similar to moderate physical activity.
Sex also does curb your fat and carbohydrate cravings because of cortisol, the high-anxiety hormone that can be kept in check by having regular sex.
So for that slimmer midsection, stay active in bed. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Sex is enjoyable is the common norm. However, of late, if the sex episodes are not offering you the excitement it ought to give you, it is time you work on spicing up your sex life. Irrespective of the kind of person you are who seeks romantic or passionate or a thrilling lovemaking experience with your partner, it is never too late to make your otherwise boring sex life an interesting one.
Here are the five super-easy and effective tips that can help you boost your sex life and make your intimate moments unforgettable.
1. Take care of your health
Staying healthy is crucial to ensure an interesting sex life. When you suffer from medical conditions, your health problems may end up having a serious impact on your sex life. By taking good care of your health, you get a step closer to a healthy and interesting sex life.
2. Try different new positions
Trying new positions can be a fun way of spicing up your sex life. However, while experimenting with new positions, take care not to indulge in such positions in which you or your partner may end up being injured. With so many easy and satisfying sex positions being out there, finding a few safe ones for your sex life won’t be that difficult at all!
3. Lose the extra calories to stay in shape
Libido has a crucial role to play in making the entire lovemaking experience an exciting one. And the best way to boost your libido is by losing the extra calories and getting your body in shape through regular exercise. Whether it's yoga or any other strenuous physical activities, it will boost the flexibility of your body as well as the mood, which are essential for a spiced-up sex experience.
4. Make love at different timings
If, so far, your sex life is active during nights, try indulging in early morning sex. Spending intimate times with your loved one in the morning, right after waking up from sleep or in the evening when you get back home from work might make your sex life more thrilling.
5. Introduce something exciting and new
To prevent boredom from creeping in your sex life, you can try new exciting ideas, such as having a great talk or spending some fun time together before moving to having sex. Even trying exciting clothing ideas or having dirty little talks with your partner can also help in bringing back the lost charm of your sex life.
A loss of sexual intimacy eventually may lead to relationship issues. Sex is an important aspect of a relationship, and it is best not to ignore your sex life lacking excitement.
In my last article, I talked about statistics of premature ejaculation (P.E), its types, diagnosis and reasons. Now I will discuss about the non-medical methods of managing / treating P.E. Due to PE both partners often end up experiencing highly unsatisfactory sex. In fact, it can increase anxiety, reduce self-confidence and escalate relationship issues. Remember, there is no magical drug or medicine which can solve your problem overnight especially if you have chronic PE.
So, before seeking any medical treatment for PE, it is appropriate to consider the varied options available for solving this issue. These include counselling with a sexual therapist, medical treatment including both modern & alternative medicine, and non-medical methods like exercises/techniques of controlling early ejaculation as discussed below:
- Counselling by an expert sexual therapist or sexologist: It is commonly understood that sex is in the mind. Mind controls your sexual behaviour. However, repeated premature ejaculation episodes can lead to lot of stress and disappointment. Anxiety due to inability to satisfy your partner itself is a big issue and can lead to reoccurrence of PE. So, the stress /anxiety that is linked to your problem needs foremost attention. Many a times, if your family physician is not able to help you overcome the stress that you are facing with your problem of premature ejaculation, then you must seek advice from an expert. Reassurance, from a sexual therapist/counsellor, that PE is not a disease and can be easily treated is very soothing and relaxing for the men who are facing this problem. So, you may please share your detailed history and sexual habits with the expert that will help him to guide you well.
- Behavioural changes: Some basic behavioural changes may also help you to deal with the problem of early ejaculation. For example, some men attempt to treat themselves for premature ejaculation by distracting themselves by thinking nonsexual thoughts (such as naming cricket players and records!) to avoid getting excited too fast and reaching climax too soon while making love to their partners. This helps them to focus their attention away from the sexual stimulation. Another technique suggested to men is that they should relieve themselves of the sexual tension by ejaculating with self-masturbation 1-2 hours before attempting sexual intercourse with their partner. Condom decreases sensation. So, using condoms is also useful in preventing ejaculation for some time. For some, “women-on-top” position also helps in delaying orgasm in men.
- Exercises & techniques: There are several Exercise and techniques that one can try sitting in his home. Let’s have a look at some of them.
- The "stop and start" method: In this technique, the person sexually stimulates himself till the point he feels like he is about to reach orgasm. Then he needs to stop the stimulation for about 20-30 seconds and then start the stimulation again, repeating this pattern until the man finally wants to ejaculate. This can be continued for 10-15 minutes. At the end of, say 10th or 15th minute, one can continue stimulation until he reaches orgasm and ejaculates.
- The "squeeze" method: This technique requires the man to sexually stimulate himself or be stimulated by his partner until the point he is about to ejaculate. At that point, the man or his partner gently squeezes the end of the penis (where the glans penis meets the shaft) for at least 15 seconds. Stop sexual stimulation for about 60 seconds, and then start it again. The person or couple may repeat this pattern for at least 10-15 minutes. At the end of, say 10th or 15th minute, both can continue stimulation until the man finally reaches orgasm and ejaculates.
- Deep breathing method: Deep breathing can greatly help in controlling the arousal and tension that cause early ejaculation. Men must avoid taking shallow breaths as it can trigger premature ejaculation. Instead, what one should do is spend 5 seconds inhaling a long deep breath; then hold it for three seconds and then exhale for the next 5 seconds. If you can do this for 5 minutes in the bedroom, without pause, then you can control premature ejaculation.
In my previous health tip, featured here last time, I talked about what actually is Premature Ejaculation (PE) or early ejaculation, what is its actual condition and how is it defined. Today I will share some statistics, diagnosis, variants and causes of PE.
Statistics of PE:
- You are not alone! PE is a common sexual complaint.
- Estimates vary, but as many as 30-40% men across the world experience PE at some point in their lives.
- In US alone, about 60%-70% of people experience premature ejaculation. The National Health and Social Life Survey (NHSLS) indicate a prevalence of 30%, which is fairly spread across all adult age groups.
Diagnosis of PE:
As per DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition), the specific criteria for PE are as follows:
- In almost 75-100% sexual activities, the experience of ejaculation occurs within one minute of vaginal penetration.
- The problem of PE has persisted for at least six months
- The symptoms cause significant mental stress to the person
- It occurred due to a nonsexual mental disorder, a medical disease, effects of a drug or medication, etc.
Severity of PE:
The severity of PE or early ejaculation is broadly defined as follows:
- Mild: Occurring within 30 seconds to one minute
- Moderate: Occurring within 15-30 seconds
- Severe: Occurring even before sexual activity, at the start of it, or within 15 seconds of vaginal penetration
Even the severe form is not uncommon. Many times men approach the doctors with complaint that they are not able to penetrate the vagina. They ejaculate on minor physical stimulation and it occurs again and again. In such case, pregnancy will not be possible unless artificial insemination is used.
Types and characteristics of P.E.
PE can be Chronic or Acquired
Chronic (lifelong) PE is when the person has been experiencing it since he became sexually active (i.e., post puberty). Usually it is seen that PE starts occurring from the beginning of sexual activity, probably the first sexual intercourse or even on masturbation, when the discharge occurs early.
Acquired (recent) PE means that the condition began in an individual who previously experienced an acceptable level of ejaculatory control and had successful sexual escapades but only recently (couple of weeks to months) has developed the tendency to ejaculate early.
What causes P.E?
Not a particular cause is responsible for causing PE. However, the causes of PE can be divided into two broad sub-heads, which are psychological and biological cause:
PE is believed to be a psychological problem and does not represent any known defect in the brain or nervous system. Psychological causes behind PE may include a certain pattern that is hard to change as result
of your previous sexual experiences. They may arise from following:
- Atmosphere at Work or school
- Relationships with peer groups
- General attitude toward sex
- Any bad feelings about sex that relates to one or more bad experiences encountered
- Erectile dysfunction
- Performance anxiety, where men want to show a good performance of sexual act with the female partner.
Type of the relationship/sexual engagement (e.g., married/unmarried/live in relationship)
Sexual attitude or interest of the female partner
Early sexual experiences, like development of habit of reaching climax soon for pleasure or ejaculating quickly because of fear of being discovered by others when masturbating as teenagers or during early sexual experiences with female partner. This pattern of rapid attainment of sexual release is difficult to change in later stage of life during marriage or long-term relationships.
Last but not least, a situation in which you may have hurried climax/ejaculation in order to hide your problem from your female partner; or feelings of guilt that make you rush through sexual encounters.
Biological causes of PE:
Many scientists have questioned whether PE is purely psychological. A number of investigators have found differences in nervous stimulations and hormonal differences in men who experience PE as compared
to individuals who do not. Some believe that some men have hyper-excitability or oversensitivity in their genitalia, which is again not proven. So, among the biological causes of PE, the most common are:
- Abnormal functioning of the ejaculatory system
- Thyroid problems
- Infection or inflammation of the urethra or prostate
- Nerve damage occurring due to trauma or surgery (a very rare cause)
- Abnormal levels of hormones and/or neurotransmitters (which are chemicals present in the brain)
- Higher, free and total testosterone levels have been demonstrated in men with PE than in men without premature ejaculation. Recent article in a Chinese andrology journal showed that semen from men with PE contained significantly less acid phosphatase and alpha-glucosidase than the counterparts
- Another study found that many men with PE have low serum prolactin levels.
Somehow these biochemical markers play only a partial role in contributing to PE. Further research is needed. Abnormal functioning of the ejaculatory system.