Doctor in Dr Shailesh A Mehta's Clinic
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr Shailesh A Mehta's ClinicYour feedback matters!
Heartburn can be a very discomforting condition and affects almost everyone at some point in his or her life. This is a condition wherein the stomach acids back up through the esophagus resulting in a burning sensation, especially near the chest area. Quick-relief medications can help you deal with them for a particular episode. However, recurring deposits might warrant changes in diet and lifestyle. Some of the long and short term remedies are mentioned below:
Short term remedies to deal with heartburn
- Eat a banana or an apple: A few slices of banana and apples can introduce acids into your stomach which will counteract the stomach acids and thus help reduce heart burn.
- Use baking soda and water as a home remedy: This is another quick fix if you don’t have anything at home when suffering from heartburn. If you mix half to a full spoon of baking soda with water and then drink slowly, it will immediately help relieve symptoms. However, don’t make this a regular remedy as it may cause side effects such as nausea and swelling.
- Ginger root tea: Making tea with ginger is another great home remedy which can easily relieve heart burn.
- Chew gum when you have heartburn: This is helpful as the constant stimulation within the mouth due to chewing gum helps with saliva production. The excess production of saliva helps wash away the acids that have built up in the stomach. Once the acid recedes, it helps in relieving or eliminating heartburn.
- Aloe Vera Juice: Drinking aloe vera juice helps in relieving heart burn very easily. It helps control inflammation in both the esophagus and the stomach and relieves pain from heartburn. However, regular use isn’t recommended as it can act like a laxative.
- Change your Sleeping habits: Try to sleep on the left side of your body and ensure that your upper body is in a slightly raised position as this will stop the stomach acids form coming up into the esophagus.
- Watch what you eat, when you eat and how quickly you eat: It is advisable to not only maintain a fixed time of eating but also try to eat slowly as it give the stomach more time to adjust in digesting the food, thereby ensuring controlled secretion of the acids.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol: These are common triggers for heartburn and avoiding them will show results in a relatively short period of time. It is advisable to stop smoking and reduce alcohol consumption to once a week or even lesser.
- Wear loose fitting clothes: Wear clothes which are loose as this would free up your stomach. Tight clothing can push stomach acids up the esophagus and it is advisable to loosen up clothing to relieve symptoms.
Exercise is one of the best things one can do for themselves to stay fit and healthy. Regular exercise will always be a great idea for the normal functioning of the body.
Exercises play a vital role in controlling or minimizing heart issues. They greatly help in maintaining good blood circulation. They are also helpful in maintaining blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, and increasing energy levels.
Exercises do help to prevent heart disease, but it is important to do right exercises in right amount.
How Often and How Long Should One Exercise?
If the person is not active, 20 to 30 minutes of Aerobic session for at least four times a week is good enough. However, the more the person can do, the better the result will be.
If a person is already physically active, more exercise time is recommended, to really tone the body.
The amount of exercise also depends upon stamina of the particular person.
What type of Exercise is Beneficial for Heart Disease?
For heart disease, one can always go for exercises that make fasten the heartbeat.
Exercises like Cardio, Weight Lifting and Aerobics are one of the best exercises for heart diseases. For those, who are looking for exercises for joint problems as well, swimming and walking are good options.
Some of the Best Exercises for Heart Diseases:
1. Cardio Exercises
The Cardio exercises fasten the heartbeat and also lower down the blood pressure level. Depending upon the prescription of the cardiologist, one can perform Cardio exercises like Walk, Jog, Jump rope, Bicycle, Skipping, Skate, Row, Dance, etc.
Aerobic exercise like biking, swimming, playing soccer and hiking uphill, can help in increasing heart rate, decreasing blood pressure and improving blood circulation. These may also be effective in lowering blood sugar.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, every adult should get at least two hours and 30 minutes of moderate-intensity Aerobic exercises per week.
3. Strength training
Resistance training or Strength training is another way to lower the risk of heart diseases. Performing strength training twice a week will help in decreasing the bad cholesterol and raising good cholesterol.
Ideally, strength training is combined with Aerobics in sets with 8-12 repetitions.
Some of the strength training exercises are lifting free weights, exercise with resistance bands, pushups, sit-ups, squats, lunges, crunches, etc.
Why Yoga? A promising way to prevent Heart Disease
- According to Cunningham, who has taught Yoga for 40 years, it can be used as a preventive measure for heart diseases.
- Yoga can help improve respiratory function, increase heart rate, boost circulation, lower blood pressure, increase lung capacity, and muscle tone.
- Yoga can also be beneficial for those who have faced Heart attack or Cardiac arrest. Most patients go through depression after Bypass surgery; Yoga also helps to get rid of depression and anxiety. It also helps in reducing emotional stress.
- Some of the effective Yoga Postures are Boat Pose (Paripurna Navasana), Extended Triangle Pose (utthita trikona), Feathered Peacock Pose (pinca mayura), Handstand (adho mukha vrksasana), Hero Pose (veer-AHS-anna), Low Lunge, Supported Headstand (salamba alamba sirsa), and many more.
- Yoga and other exercises help in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. However, one should always consult a trainer or doctor before doing these exercises. Also, these exercises should always be accompanied by a healthy diet, to really make these exercises effective. Eating a burger after a Yoga session is never going to be a good idea.
Forging positive peer relationships is essential for all children. Sadly, children with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) find making friends and being accepted by their peers difficult. The hyperactivity, inattention, and impulsiveness associated with the disorder can impede the child’s attempts of socializing with others in several ways.
Non-acceptance, isolation, loneliness- these are perhaps some of the most painful aspects of ADHD-related ailments. These experiences usually leave behind long-lasting effects on the minds of the child. The good news is, you can help your child develop social skills and competencies. Here are 4 ways you can do this-
- Make your child socially aware: Studies show that children with ADHD fail to monitor their own behavior. Often they are unable to have a clear awareness and understanding of social situations or the reactions they provoke in others. ADHD-related impairments can result in weaknesses of your child’s ability to read or assess a situation, self-monitor, self-evaluate, and adjust accordingly to the same.
- Role-play to teach your child: Children with ADHD have tough time learning from past experiences. They tend to react without thinking about the consequences. As parents, you must provide them frequent and immediate feedback on inappropriate behavior. One way you can do this is by adopting the ‘role-play’ method. Role-playing can help you teach your child how to practice social skills, and respond to challenging situations.
- Provide opportunities to forge friendships: Arrange for a specific ‘play time’ for the child. Provide opportunities for developing friendly bonds with peer groups. Children who are of school-going age should be encouraged more to interact with others. Setting a fixed time for playful activities can be helpful. You can have your child’s friends (one or two at a time) over to take part in some activity, and watch him socialize with them. As the child grows older, friendships and relationships often become complicated. Therefore, it is important that the parents be involved and continue to facilitate positive peer interaction.
- Improve your child’s peer status: Once the child is tagged by his/her peer group in a negative way for lacking social skills, it becomes hard to drop the tag. Having a negative reputation is in fact one of the greatest obstacles the child may have to overcome socially. Parents are advised to work with the child’s teacher/coach to address such negative reputational effects, and improve their peer status.
ADHD can thus be managed by improving one’s social skills. Parents of a child who suffer from this hyperactive disorder can also seek help from a professional to get some input on the condition of their child.
Before applying the tips suggested here, it is highly recommended that an Energy Assessment be done for your child by an expert in ADHD. This will help establish the correct diagnosis in the first place and you can then explore unconventional or alternative healing methods such as Intent Healing that are helping parents who have children with ADHD see their child thrive with their talents and gifts by curing the limiting symptoms in the child.
Irregular ovulation or anovulation (a condition where a woman does not ovulate at all) can be quite agonizing, triggering a host of health problems, including difficulty in conceiving. The irregular ovulation could be an amalgamation of many factors including obesity, thyroid disorders, PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids, uncontrolled intake of caffeinated and alcoholic drinks, to name a few. With the advancement of medical science, the problem is no longer a big deal. In this article, we will discuss the role of ovulation induction and follicular monitoring in dealing with irregular ovulation cycles and the related complications.
What is Ovulation Induction?
Ovulation induction comes as a blessing for women who don't ovulate regularly (there is a deviation from the usual pattern of ovulation that takes place before every menstrual cycle). The procedure aims at regularizing the ovulation process. The medications (often hormones are used in the treatment) play a pivotal role in stimulating the follicular development of the ovaries so that healthy eggs are produced, developed, matured and finally released during ovulation. The procedure also benefits women get their menstrual cycles sans the ovulation (Anovulatory Menstrual Cycles). The problem mainly surfaces due to a drop in the progesterone level (a hormone responsible for the uterine lining thickening).
- The ovulation induction is an important process that requires a thorough examination and evaluation of the patient to understand their ovulation process, hormonal balance (or imbalance) and all the factors that could be a possible trigger resulting in the ovulation problem.
- In the next step, the physician carries out the stimulation of the ovulation process. For this purpose, selected hormones are given to the affected individual either orally or in the form of injections.
- The hormones work towards restoring the balance along with follicular development. This stimulation contributes significantly towards maturing an egg and ensuring its release for ovulation to take place.
- Through a series of regular pelvic ultrasounds, doctors are able to carefully monitor the development of the follicles along with how well the lining of the uterus thickens, following the ovulation induction.
- For those planning to conceive, ovulation induction, with proper monitoring, goes a long way to ensure at least one healthy egg will be available for the fertilization to take place.
Some women can also opt for Intrauterine Insemination, a pathbreaking procedure whereby, the sperm (collected and stored earlier) is injected into the vagina to facilitate the fertilization process.
Downside of the Ovulation Induction
The ovulation induction requires precision and accuracy and should be performed by experienced professionals who know their skill well.
- Even a small mistake in the ovulation induction can trigger many complications including Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome. The condition can swell up the ovaries with abdominal pain, vomiting, breathing problems (shortness of breath), sudden and rapid weight gain. The ovaries also appear tender with some pain.
- Ovulation induction increases the risk of gestational diabetes, hypertension, nausea, to name a few.
Piles are a common ailment, albeit distressing, which can be treated with proper operative measures. Piles refer to hemorrhoids which have become swollen or inflamed. Comprised of vital tissues, blood vessels, elastic and muscle fibers, Hemorrhoids are masses and clumps of tissue cushioning and lining the anal canal. The inflammation occurs when there is a rise in the pressure in the small arteries that make up hemorrhoid causing them to enlarge and swell with blood.
Besides the fact that piles, also called as pathological hemorrhoids, can be extremely painful, not operating can give rise to severe health issues. There are different types of piles surgery procedures conducted according to individual needs as prescribed by individual doctors.
Surgery For Piles - What To Expect?
Piles are a common ailment, albeit distressing, which can be treated with proper operative measures. Piles refer to hemorrhoids which have become swollen or inflamed.
Comprised of vital tissues, blood vessels, elastic and muscle fibers, hemorrhoids are masses and clumps of tissue cushioning and lining the anal canal. The inflammation occurs when there is a rise in the pressure in the small veins that make up hemorrhoid causing them to enlarge and swell with blood. Besides the fact that piles, also called as pathological hemorrhoids, can be extremely painful, not operating can give rise to severe health issues other than severe anemia and weakness. There are different types of piles surgery procedures conducted according to individual needs as prescribed by individual doctors.
This procedure involves injecting a chemical into hemorrhoids. The chemical causes the hemorrhoids to contract and stop bleeding. Most individuals encounter little or no pain with the shot. In the case of small internal hemorrhoids, Sclerotherapy is shown to have the best benefit rates.
Stapled Hemorrhoidopexy, also commonly known as MIPH, is a form of surgery which requires 12 hours of hospitalization. This process necessitates general, regional, or local anesthesia. This kind of surgery is used to handle hemorrhoids that have already prolapsed. A surgical staple fixes the prolapsed hemorrhoid inside your rectum and cuts off the blood supply so that the tissue can contract. Recovery from hemorrhoidopexy is less painful and takes lesser time than the recuperation period of a hemorrhoidectomy.
Excision used to be prescribed for hemorrhoid sufferers. This therapy involves the surgical removal of the hemorrhoids with a cautery, laser or knife. Although these methods are slightly different, the outcomes are identical. Excision results in discomfort and pain in the perianal area that lasts from two weeks to two months. The pain during bowel elimination also lasts for approximately the same time.
Management of the hemorrhoids with proper medication, diet and workout is by far the safest way to go. Only in the case of lifestyle changes failing to solve the condition, surgical interference should be considered.
Hi I am suffering from hormonal imbalance so that can you please write what are the tests done for hormonal imbalance?
Please can you tell me the symptoms of diabetes. I have doubt because even when in night l went to washroom again I have to go to washroom. Sometimes there has also pain in my legs.
I have thyroid my report is normal but throat looking big I check my throat infection report also normal I am taking medicine of 62.5 mcg thyronorm.
When we talk about infertility attention usually falls on treatment for women. However, infertility can affect men as well. The condition of infertility, can be described as the inability to become pregnant for a period of 1 year despite having unprotected, well-timed sexual intercourse. A low sperm count is one of the primary reasons for infertility in men.
Typically there should be fifteen million sperm per milliliter of semen. Low sperm count refers to the ejaculation of less than a normal amount of sperm in semen. This can also be termed as oligospermia. A complete absence of sperm in semen is known as azoospermia. Low sperm count does not mean that you cannot impregnate your partner but it reduces the chance of a successful conception. Thus, one of the most common ways to treat infertility caused by low sperm count is IVF.
- IVF involves harvesting eggs from the woman’s uterus and sperm from the male partner and combining them in a laboratory to form a zygote. When IVF is used to treat male infertility, a semen analysis is the first step. This helps determine the patient’s sperm count, sperm motility, volume, pH levels, white blood cell levels etc.
- The ejaculated semen is then processed so as to separate the sperm cells from the plasma. In this process sperm cells with higher motility are identified and segregated. These cells have a higher chance of fertilizing the egg.
- Sperm cells are then injected into the harvested egg. Some techniques may require the injection of 50,000 or more sperm cells while others such as intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) can be effective with a single sperm cell. Once the egg is fertilized, it is allowed to develop for a few days in the laboratory.
- Two or three embryos are then selected to be reintroduced into the woman’s uterus with the help of a catheter. The remaining fertilized embryos are preserved in an embryo bank in case the pregnancy is not successful. If these need to be used later, the woman does not have to go through the initial stages of IVF treatment to stimulate the follicles and harvest eggs from the ovaries.
When it comes to IVF, the success rates are very high. However, one of the most common side effects is the birth of twins or triplets. This is because multiple embryos are inserted into the uterus. The number of babies born then depends on the number of embryos that are implanted successfully.