Doctor in Dr. R. U. Sonawane's Clinic
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Submit a review for Dr. R. U. Sonawane's ClinicYour feedback matters!
A nosebleed also called epistaxis medically is normally not dangerous, but if you are old nosebleeds come with a number of risks. Treating a bloody nose incorrectly can only make it more dangerous, because of prolonged bleeding. Before we explain the ways to stop nosebleeds, let’s take a look at its causes:
Nosebleeds usually start from just inside the entrance of the nostril. But, why? Because the blood vessels here are quite fragile and are also prone to rupture easily. This is the reason why children suffer from nosebleeds so easily. Other common reasons are
- A blocked nose due to colds
- Picking one's nose roughly
- Blowing one's nose
- Use of cocaine
A nosebleed usually lasts for about 10-20 minutes and is usually easy to treat. But in some conditions, this bleeding can be profuse and last longer like in cases of
Bleeding can sometimes also happen in areas further back in the nose due mostly to injuries and disorders of the nose.
Usually, nosebleeds can be stopped using simple first aid.
- Sitting up straight helps, especially along with tipping your head forward. It is vital that you don’t tip your head backwards as this can allow the blood to go down your throat and cause vomiting. And this can make your nosebleed worse. So, take care to spit out the blood in your mouth and not to swallow it.
- To stop a nosebleed, pinch the soft, cartilaginous part of your nose using your thumb and forefinger. Spraying your nose with a medicated nasal spray before pinching it can help the bleeding to stop faster. Apply pressure for 10 minutes to get results. Check if your nosebleed has stopped after 10 minutes if it’s not; apply pressure for another 10 minutes. Nosebleeds usually stop after 10 to 20 minutes of pressure.
- Use an ice pack to your nose and cheeks. This will constrict the blood vessels in the nose and stop the nosebleed.
- Use a saline- or water-based nasal gel inside your nose to stop bleeding.
- Remember not to blow your nose or insert anything into your nose for at least 12 hours after your nosebleed is over.
- If the bleeding doesn’t stop even after 20 minutes of applying direct pressure, it’s prudent to rush to a doctor. He will treat your nose to stop the bleeding.
- In a few rare cases, the bleeding is so severe that a blood transfusion is needed, and surgery may be needed to stop it.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Person suffering from depersonalization disorder often feels detached from their thoughts and also have a strange feeling that you are being separated from your emotions and your body. Feeling disconnected from his or her surrounding environment is one of the main symptoms of depersonalization disorder. An affected person might feel like an alien, live in a world of fantasy and fear of getting crazy or depressed, anxious and panicky. A patient with depersonalization disorder does not lose his contact with reality and realizes that his perceptions are unreal. This health condition is a form of dissociative disorder, where the brain gets affected.
Treatment: People seeking treatment for depersonalization disorder are primarily concerned with the associated symptoms such as anxiety and disorder. Treatment is required when the disorder is recurring or long lasting, and when the symptoms cause severe distress. The aim of the treatment is to eliminate all causes of stress when the symptoms show up. The method of treatment depends on the nature of the triggers and on the severity of the symptoms. Here is a list of the most effective treatment methods:
- Psychotherapy: Psychotherapy is an effective treatment procedure for depersonalization disorder. Psychological techniques are used to help an affected person recognize his feelings and for communicating his thoughts to a therapist. Thoughts which may lead to depersonalization experience are expressed by a person in this process. Cognitive therapy is utilized for changing dysfunction thought patterns in an affected person.
- Medication: There are no medicines for the general treatment of depersonalization disorder. Several medicines are used to treat the symptoms. In patients who experience depression and severe anxiety, antidepressant and antianxiety medicines may be prescribed. Antipsychotic medicines are also used to cure disordered thinking and improper perception of reality.
- Family therapy: Family therapy educates the affected person's family about the disorder, its causes and the family members learn how to recognize the symptoms.
- Creative therapy: Creative therapies, such as art therapy or music therapy, enable a patient to recognize and express his feelings better in a creative and safe way.
- Clinical hypnosis: This process involves intense relaxation, concentration and focus of attention in order to achieve an altered state of consciousness. This makes a patient more aware, and he can explore his thoughts and feelings, which have been absent from his conscious mind.
Complete recovery from depersonalization disorder is possible for most of the patients. The symptoms go away by themselves after treatment. Treatment makes a person more effective in dealing with stress or trauma, which might act as triggers for further recurrence of this disorder. Treatment is necessary and avoiding treatment might cause severe complications later. It is recommended to consult a doctor for the best treatment measures. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The quote 'Good day starts with coffee' suits a lot of people who love nothing more than a cup of coffee every morning. However, your morning tryst with a cup of coffee might not be a very healthy habit. Believe it or not, addiction to caffeine (in the form of coffee) is as harmful as addiction to any other drug. In fact, caffeine is a legal drug that slowly and gradually damages your gastrointestinal tract. Here are the negative effects of coffee on your digestive system:
- Increases Acidity: Coffee is known to contain different kinds of oils, acids and caffeine. These compounds have adverse impact on the digestive system. The stomach and intestinal linings get damaged due to the over-consumption of these compounds in the form of coffee. Moreover, as you take coffee, your stomach produces more hydrochloric acid for digestion. This causes acidity and hampers the HCL levels all together. When we take coffee regularly for years in empty stomach, our body's capacity of producing proper amounts of HCL gets hampered. Often, HCL production gets reduced as well. This leads to indigestion of other food items and effects flatulence and produces unwanted gases due to improper breaking of proteins and fats by the body.
- Ulcers and Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Doctors believe that coffee acts as an irritant for patients of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), gastritis, Crohn's disease, colitis and ulcers. Coffee is responsible for the irritation of the lining of stomach and intestine. It is also noticed that certain enzymes present in the coffee beans are also harmful for the gastrointestinal tract.
- Heartburn: Coffee is responsible for relaxing the esophageal sphincter muscle. The relaxation of this muscle hinders the process of digestion and causes acid-reflux, resulting in heartburn. It is known to have compounds that have diuretic, laxative and mineral blocking effects on the body.
- Laxative Effects: Coffee stimulates the process of peristalsis or movement of food through the gastrointestinal tract. The peristalsis starts immediately after food is swallowed by the individual. The intake of coffee catalyzes peristalsis and consequently leads to emptying of the stomach even before the food is digested properly. The semi-digested food is sent to the intestine too early, causing injury to the intestine and hampering the absorption of nutrients.
- Affects absorption of minerals: Caffeine reduces the ability of the stomach to absorb iron and also hinders the absorption of minerals like calcium, zinc and magnesium by the kidney. All these minerals help in digestion at different points and regulate the bowel movement.
Coffee is known to have benefits like reduction of constipation and sugar absorption. But, it also interferes with the smooth functioning of the digestive system. It has a tendency to increase stomach aches, disturb the fluid balance and the overall process of digestion. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
We have often noticed these outgrowths around the neck in a lot of people. The neck lumps are of varying size. While some may be unduly large in size, others range from being moderate to miniscule. Usually, neck lumps do not bode any cancerous development and are benign in most cases. However, certain specific types of neck lumps can often bode serious health impairments.
A lot of the neck lumps are painless and do not cause any discomfort to the patient. However, these lumps must not go unattended in either case. Especially if they are cancerous, a speedy detection is expedient to arrest any further damage. The neck lumps stem from a lot reasons. Some of the most common causes may be enlisted as the following.
- Swollen Lymph nodes: Lymph nodes are spread all over your body. They are often susceptible to infections caused by germ attacks. Infection causing bacteria or viruses often result in the enlargement or swelling in the lymph nodes. This manifests itself as neck lumps, albeit sometimes. This could also arise out of allergic reactions to certain foreign substances.
- Cancers: While a neck lump may not necessarily mean a sign of cancer, some lumps could occur due to tumor formations which unfortunately indicate a malignant growth. Radioscopy and biopsy are the usual techniques through which the malignancy of the tumors can be detected.
- Thyroid Disease: Some neck lumps occur due to an inflammation in the thyroid glands. On account of certain hormonal imbalances, the thyroid glands may swell up leading to neck lumps.
- Mumps: Mumps is a contagious disease that is caused by a viral infection in the respiratory tract. As a consequence, the salivary glands may swell up causing neck lumps. Mumps are very common in children.
- Tumour in the salivary glands: Another common cause of neck lumps are tumours in the salivary glands. On account of a variety of external as well as internal reasons, there may be an abnormal growth in our salivary glands. This leads to lumps in the neck.
The earliest signs of neck lumps should goad you to consult a doctor. While it may not be of any alarming nature, to avert any major ailment, it is worthwhile to be cautious beforehand. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
“An apple a day keeps the doctor away” however, while one may commend you on an excellent diet schedule, keeping the doctor away might not always seem to be too favourable an option, especially in recent times when unforeseen circumstances and complications pertaining to lifestyle irregularities always keep creeping up.
While proper diet and regular workouts may keep you remarkably fit, genetic constraints might easily overrule such efforts to maintaining good health. Frequent checkups are especially recommended for those who share a family history of a number of diseases, infections, any type of cancer, hypertension, or sleep disorders, since problems might grow quietly and steadily when left unchecked for a longer span of time.
Most people usually visit their doctor or physician when they face an emergency. This should not be the scenario, as is advised by most health experts. It has been widely accepted that the average visit to the clinic must be at the least, four times a year. However, uniformity isn’t to be maintained by everyone in this regard. Infants see a doctor for at least eight times a year while six to eight year olds visit their physician twice a year.
It is important to have a number of crucial matters looked into and tested periodically in order to keep track of any unfavourable developments:
- Dental check-up every six months
- Annual pap smears
- Semi-annual HIV tests
- Eye examinations once every two years, once a year for those patients with current vision problems
- Biennial skin cancer screening
- Full physical examination once a year
- Breast examination once a month
- Pelvic examination every few months
- Thyroid tests every five years
- Check blood pressure level every month
It is imperative to understand that not one particular check-up schedule is capable of fitting in the necessities of all individuals. This makes it all the more clear that, while the requirement of physical attention isn’t the same for everyone, once a year physical check-up is a must for any individual. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
There is no denying the fact that everyone wants to enjoy a healthy and younger looking skin sans the wrinkles and blemishes. Unfortunately, skin aging is a natural process that will catch up sooner or later. But that does not mean you should not take care of the skin. In fact, a proper skin care can go a long way to slow down the skin aging. In this context, it is important to mention about the chemical peels. Packed with chemicals, the chemical peels when applied will exfoliate the skin, leaving it fresh, rejuvenated and younger looking.
A chemical peel often used as part of a skin care routine is the Glycolic Acid Peel. As the name indicates, the main chemical used in the peel is glycolic acid. Derived from sugar beets, sugar cane, or pineapple and a part of the Alpha Hydroxy family, glycolic acid are known to be extremely beneficial for the skin. Glycolic acid leaves your skin deeply exfoliated. The signs of skin aging, as well as skin pigmentation, can be taken care of by the glycolic acid. In fact, dermatological conditions such as Psoriasis, Seborrheic keratosis, to name a few, can also be successfully treated using glycolic acid.
Steps to apply the glycolic peel?
- Before the application of the glycolic peel, it is important that a person cleanses his/her face thoroughly.
- Apply a thin layer of the peel evenly all over the face and the neck (avoid the area under the eyes). The glycolic peel comes with a neutralizer (used to neutralize or terminate the action of the acid).
- After the stipulated time (as mentioned in the guidelines), apply the neutralizer solution using a cotton ball at the areas where the peel was applied.
- Wash your face thoroughly with water to get rid of any traces of the acid and the neutralizer.
- Pat dry the face with a soft towel followed by the use of a good moisturizer.
Advantages of the Glycolic peel
- The glycolic peel enhances the production of collagen, thereby reducing fine lines and wrinkles to a great extent.
- As stated earlier, the glycolic peels act as a great exfoliator getting rid of the dead skin. As a result, the skin appears smooth and radiant.
- The glycolic peels can be a great relief for people with acne problems (provided your doctor recommends the same).
The glycolic peel may come with many advantages. However, one should be careful before using the peel.
- Read the instructions thoroughly before you use the glycolic peel.
- The peel may cause skin irritation, flaking or even redness. It is best to go for a patch test before applying the glycolic peel.
- The glycolic peel can make your skin sensitive to sunlight. Thus, always use a sunscreen after using the glycolic peel.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Brain tumours vary in shape and size and the same is the case with their symptoms. The location of the tumour affects the symptoms greatly. Just like in any other type of a malignant tumour, brain tumour has a rapid growth and proliferation of abnormal cells that may have its origin in affected site or areas adjacent to it. As per studies, every 2 in 1,00,000 people are said to be affected by brain tumour in India. However, it may come as a relief to some as not all brain tumors are cancerous or life threatening. Some are benign tumors and seldom pose any threat to the affected individual.
Types of Brain Tumor
Brain tumors may be primary or secondary.
- Primary brain tumor: Here the abnormal mass of cells that originated in the brain do not metastasize to the other organs. Based on their location in the brain, the primary brain tumors may be of the following types.
- Gliomas: One of the most common types of primary brain tumors, gliomas can have their origin in the spinal cord or the brain. Some of the common types of gliomas include Astrocytomas (originates in the cerebrum of the brain), Glioblastomas (these tumors form from the Astrocytes which form the supportive tissues of the brain), Ependymoma (these develop from the ependymal cells which are present within the CNS), Oligodendrogliomas (these tumors are found to arise from the oligodendrocytes).
- Schwannomas: Also called as Acoustic neuromas, these primary brain tumors form on the nerves that play an important role in regulating the balance and hearing from the inner ear to the brain.
- Meningiomas: These type of tumors are usually benign and have their origin in the meninges (membranes surrounding the spinal cord and the brain).
- Primitive neuroectodermal tumors (PNETs): Primitive neuroectodermal tumors (PNETs) are rare malignant tumors that originate from the fetal (embryonic) cells in the brain.
- Pituitary adenomas: As the name suggests, these tumors arise from the pituitary gland located at the base of the brain.
- Medulloblastomas: Common among the children, these malignant primary tumors develop in the brain (lower back) and gradually spread via the spinal fluid.
- Other types of primary brain tumors include Craniopharyngiomas and the Germ cell tumors.
- Secondary brain tumors: Unlike the primary brain tumors, these tumors have their origin in the other body parts and organs (mostly in the lungs, skin, colon, breast, and kidney) and then gradually metastasize to the brain. The secondary brain tumors are found to be more common.
Symptoms or warning signs associated with brain tumors:
Some of the signs and symptoms that may be indicative of a brain tumor include
- People with brain tumors often get seizures (due to the irritation caused by the tumors in the brain).
- A headache (mild to severe depending on the part of the brain affected by the tumor).
- A person experiences numbness or a tingling sensation in the legs and arms.
- There may be difficulties in walking or balancing.
- A person finds it difficult to concentrate.
- There may be some problems with hearing, speech or even vision.
- A person may experience weakness restricted to only one part of the body.
The symptoms may not necessarily indicate a brain tumor but it is always wise not to neglect the symptoms either. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
You may have noticed that the elders in your home often talked about how their grandparents kept water overnight in copper jars believing that by drinking that water in the morning would cleanse both mind and body.
It is true because copper is an essential mineral for the body. Even Ayurveda advises to store water in copper vessels and drink it for the maintenance of good health. The copper is said to possess an electromagnetic energy that aids in solving the issues arising from the imbalances in the body.
Here are the top health benefits of consuming copper water:
It is antimicrobial: Storing water in copper vessels for 16 hours at room temperature can kill all the microbes, which would otherwise cause water borne diseases. The University of South Carolina reports that copper has intense purifying power. The report also suggests that copper surface can put an end to 97 percent of bacteria and microbes that may lead to hospital acquired infections.
It acts as a brain stimulant: The human brain functions by transmitting impulse from neurons to neurons through the regions called synapses. Copper aids in the generation of phospholipids which are needful for the formation of the myelin sheaths that act as a kind of conductive agent.
It helps in healthy weight loss: When diet regulation is of no help to you, then you can opt for drinking water stored in copper jugs regularly. It helps in tuning the digestive system for better performance as well as breaking down of fat and eliminates it out of the body efficiently.
It aids in slowing down ageing: Copper is a natural remedy for your wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of ageing that have started occurring on your face. It has very strong antioxidants and cell forming properties and is also effective in fighting free radicals, which actually lead to the formation of fine lines. By drinking water from copper vessels regularly, you will be able to keep your skin renewed by replacing the old and dying ones.
It has anti-inflammatory properties: This helps in the reduction of anti-inflammatory pains including arthritis and if you are suffering from aches and pains in different parts of the body, you can drink water from the copper vessels every morning for soothing inflamed joints.
Apart from copper, silver and gold are used by Ayurveda for drinking water.These metals have different indications based on your disease. So, kindly consult and know what is best for you. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Masturbation is a wonderful way to explore your physicality which is healthy as well as beneficial. Here are some of the most common misconceptions and the truths behind masturbation.
Myth: Masturbation doesn't provide any long-term health benefits.
Fact: Many experts believe that masturbation can be good for your health. Some of the health benefits that it provides include improved concentration levels and better sleep. It also helps in relieving stress and headaches as your body releases endorphins (brain chemicals), which give you a sense of well-being. Apart from that, masturbating regularly ensures better fitness levels and a youthful appearance in men. For women, it offers certain sexual health benefits such as less pain during sexual intercourse. This happens due to the interaction between brain receptors and the endorphins, which help in reducing your perception of pain. Furthermore, it can even reduce vaginal dryness.
Myth: There's no limit to how much you can masturbate.
Fact: According to the American Psychological Association, you should stop masturbating if it affects your daily life; causes emotional problems or physical soreness; disrupts your relationship with your partner or makes you unable to have orgasms from the stimulation that you experience with your partner. Otherwise, the frequency of masturbating can vary from individual to individual. If you masturbate a number of times in a day and still lead a healthy and satisfying life, you have nothing to worry about.
Myth: Masturbation makes you go blind.
Fact: Masturbation cannot make you blind. Studies conducted on this point of contention haven't been able to find a link between masturbation and blindness. On the contrary, these researches have gone on to reveal that individuals who masturbate 4 times daily or more for years haven't been found to suffer from any diseases attributed to masturbation, including blindness.
Myth: People in relationships do not masturbate.
Fact: Whether you're single or in a relationship, masturbation is a healthy sexual activity that you can engage in to fulfil your sexual desires. Studies show that masturbation is a very common behaviour; about 92% of men and 62% of women masturbate. Sometimes, couples also engage in masturbation together as part of their sexual activity. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
If there is one thing that men and women dread the most, it is hair loss and hair fall problems. In the last decade or so, the number of young men and women suffering from severe hair loss is quite alarming. The hair fall, which may be an outcome of stress, anxiety, hormonal imbalance, genetics, medical conditions, unhealthy habits, poor diet or lack of a proper hair care routine, can make life miserable and embarrassing. People try out every possible treatment to deal with the problem. In this regard, the PRP or the Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy comes as a revelation.
The Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy is a path-breaking, nonsurgical and natural option that treats the conditions of severe hair loss through hair, scalp, and skin simulations, as per the requirements. The procedure for PRP are as follows:
- The plasma contains the platelets. The platelets are important as they not only heal but also helps in regeneration
- of the damaged tissues.
- The first step involves extracting the blood of the person undergoing the PRP Therapy.
- Next step is the centrifugation step. Centrifugation helps to obtain the platelet rich plasma (which gets separated from the blood during the centrifugation process).
- The patients are given anesthesia at the scalp (mainly the nerves) to ease the pain.
- The platelet rich plasma is then carefully injected into the scalp of the patient to initiate the hair restoration.
The PRP therapy channelizes on the fact that the growth factors present in the platelet rich plasma will act as a catalyst, triggering the stimulation and growth of the hair follicles
Some of the growth factors that help in the hair restoration are as follows
- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (responsible for the formation of blood vessels).
- Platelet-Derived Growth Factor (triggers the growth of blood vessels along with cell replication as well as the formation of the skin).
- Epidermal Growth Factor (involved in the formation of blood vessels and collagen along with the growth and differentiation of the cell).
- Insulin Like Growth Factor (this growth factor is mainly involved in the regulation of the normal cell physiology).
For better and effective results, the therapy is repeated at every 3 - 4 months interval.
- As impressive and fruitful as it may sound, the PRP Therapy is a big no for people dealing with certain medical conditions such as cancer, platelet dysfunction syndromes, hypofibrinogenemia, severe and chronic skin problems, severe liver disorders, sepsis, hemodynamic instability, or acute and prolonged infections.
- People who are into drinking, smoking or drug abuse should also avoid the PRP Therapy.
- PRP fails to provide the desired results in the case of complete baldness.
- The PRP therapy that has benefitted many people worldwide comes with the following advantages
- PRP Therapy is non-invasive and natural with a faster recovery.
- The Therapy is less time consuming and is quite safe.