Doctor in Dr. Aparna M. Phadke
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Aparna M. PhadkeYour feedback matters!
My wife is 1 and half month pregnant but we are not ready for a baby now so wanted to do abortion. Please let me know till what month we can do the same by medication. Which medication to take. Thanks.
My new born baby girl is just 4 days old and I spotted some vaginal bleeding, kindly consider the request, is there anything to worry about?
My father has blood in urine, so I have done urine test and the findings are as mentioned below: Unrin Analysis Physical Examination 1. Color: P. Yellow 2. Transparency: Hazy Chemical Examination 1. Blood: Trace 2. Urobilinogen: Normal 3. Ketone: Negative 4. Albumin: Negative 5. Nitrite: Positive 6. Sugar: Negative 7. leukocytes: Present 8. PH: 06 Microscopic Examination 1. Epithelial Cells: 3-4/hpf 2. Pus Cells: 12-15/hpf 3. RBC's: 4-5/hpf 4. Cast: Nill 5. Crystals: Nill 6. Fungus: Nill 7. Others: Few motile bacilli Kindly suggest your valuable suggestions. I will be thankful to you. Please help.
Sleep is the most essential part of our lives because it is the time when our body gets rejuvenated and recharged. However, due to numerous reasons, quite a few individuals fail to achieve proper sleep or any sleep at all. This condition in which a person is unable to sleep at night can be termed as insomnia.
Causes of insomnia
There can be varied reasons for different people that can cause insomnia.
- Unhealthy lifestyle i.e. improper sleep cycle, improper food habits, untimely naps, substance abuse etc.
- Medical conditions like sinus allergies, gastrointestinal problems, endocrine problems, arthritis, asthma, neurological condition like Parkinson’s disease, chronic back pain etc.
- Psychological conditions like depression and anxiety
- Certain medications aimed to cure other health problems
In case of the treatable medical reasons, insomnia is gone once the problem is treated. However, for people who have no idea as to why they suffer from insomnia, here are certain tips that can help in fighting it.
Lifestyle changes to cure insomnia
Starting with a significant lifestyle change can be a great way to change one’s sleep cycles and get a good night’s sleep.
- Maintain a proper and healthy diet, with more fruits and vegetables and less carbs and fat.
- Try to sleep and wake up at the same time everyday (despite the fact that you may not feel sleepy). This will train the body and regulate the body clock.
- Avoid afternoon naps or any short naps during the day.
- Exercise daily for at least 30 minutes.
- Avoid caffeine as it has contains properties that keeps a person up for long hours.
- Avoid intake of alcohol and nicotine. Although alcohol is associated with fun and partying, it is actually a depressant and causes improper sleep.
- Avoid any meal right before bed time.
Tips that can help
- Take a good, warm shower right before sleep.
- Ask your partner to give you a nice massage before bedtime.
- Restrict bed activities to sleep and sex only, nothing more.
- Make a really comfortable and inviting sleep environment.
- Try and get rid of all your worries before going to bed.
- Reduce stress using a number of stress reduction therapies like meditation, deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation techniques, etc.
Apart from the lifestyle changes and the tips that will help you gain a better sleep, there is another therapy, which may be useful. It is called the cognitive behavioural therapy. This therapy can give essential knowledge about sleep and help achieve normal sleep routines.
It is a common notion that fats are the major culprits that lead to all the weight problems and that cutting them off entirely from the diet can be a helpful solution. There’s no need to freak out with this information because there is more explanation to it. The truth is we actually cannot live without fats. This is because fats play an important role in a healthy diet. Fatty acids from fats are essential for a healthy skin. Fats also deliver fat-soluble vitamins and are great sources of energy. This is where the part about good fats and bad fats is important, and it is essential to know which fats should be avoided and which are the ones that should be included as a part of your diet. It is also important to know the amount of fat consumption and ways to avoid trans-fats (bad fats) that cause artery clogging. Let’s make a clear classification of the good and the bad fats.
The unsaturated fats are basically the good guys and these include polyunsaturated fatty acids and monounsaturated fatty acids. Both, when eaten in moderation, can help in lowering the risk of heart diseases as the cholesterol levels are reduced.
Polyunsaturated fats can be found mostly in vegetable oils and when substituted for saturated fats, these help in lowering the triglycerides and cholesterol levels in the blood. One such type of polyunsaturated fat with potential heart benefits is omega-3 fatty acid. Omega-3 is present in fish like trout, salmon, catfish etc. They are also found in walnuts and flaxseeds.
Monounsaturated fats also help in reducing heart diseases and a lot of these are consumed by Mediterranean people. These are found in olives, almonds, cashews, avocados, hazelnuts, peanut oil, canola, sesame seeds etc.
There are essentially two kinds of bad fats, saturated fats and trans fatty acids. Both can cause artery clogs and heart risks because they increase cholesterol content in the blood.
Saturated fats can be found in animal products like high-fat dairy, eggs, meat, poultry skin, vegetable fats like coconut and palm oils etc. There are a number of evidences, which suggest that saturated fats increase the risk of colon and prostate cancer. It is better to consume these in limited quantities to keep your cholesterol levels under check.
Trans fatty acids or trans fats may be naturally occurring fats, which are found in dairy and meat or the artificial ones, which are found in liquid oils that have been hardened into partially hydrogenated fats. The actual worry here are the artificial trans fats. These are used extensively in all sorts of junk food.
This is just the basic understanding about the fats, the ones which are unhealthy and the ones that are healthy for the body.
Irregular ovulation or anovulation (a condition where a woman does not ovulate at all) can be quite agonizing, triggering a host of health problems, including difficulty in conceiving. The irregular ovulation could be an amalgamation of many factors including obesity, thyroid disorders, PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids, uncontrolled intake of caffeinated and alcoholic drinks, to name a few. With the advancement of medical science, the problem is no longer a big deal. In this article, we will discuss the role of ovulation induction and follicular monitoring in dealing with irregular ovulation cycles and the related complications.
What is Ovulation Induction?
Ovulation induction comes as a blessing for women who don't ovulate regularly (there is a deviation from the usual pattern of ovulation that takes place before every menstrual cycle). The procedure aims at regularizing the ovulation process. The medications (often hormones are used in the treatment) play a pivotal role in stimulating the follicular development of the ovaries so that healthy eggs are produced, developed, matured and finally released during ovulation. The procedure also benefits women get their menstrual cycles sans the ovulation (Anovulatory Menstrual Cycles). The problem mainly surfaces due to a drop in the progesterone level (a hormone responsible for the uterine lining thickening).
- The ovulation induction is an important process that requires a thorough examination and evaluation of the patient to understand their ovulation process, hormonal balance (or imbalance) and all the factors that could be a possible trigger resulting in the ovulation problem.
- In the next step, the physician carries out the stimulation of the ovulation process. For this purpose, selected hormones are given to the affected individual either orally or in the form of injections.
- The hormones work towards restoring the balance along with follicular development. This stimulation contributes significantly towards maturing an egg and ensuring its release for ovulation to take place.
- Through a series of regular pelvic ultrasounds, doctors are able to carefully monitor the development of the follicles along with how well the lining of the uterus thickens, following the ovulation induction.
- For those planning to conceive, ovulation induction, with proper monitoring, goes a long way to ensure at least one healthy egg will be available for the fertilization to take place.
Some women can also opt for Intrauterine Insemination, a pathbreaking procedure whereby, the sperm (collected and stored earlier) is injected into the vagina to facilitate the fertilization process.
Downside of the Ovulation Induction
The ovulation induction requires precision and accuracy and should be performed by experienced professionals who know their skill well.
- Even a small mistake in the ovulation induction can trigger many complications including Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome. The condition can swell up the ovaries with abdominal pain, vomiting, breathing problems (shortness of breath), sudden and rapid weight gain. The ovaries also appear tender with some pain.
- Ovulation induction increases the risk of gestational diabetes, hypertension, nausea, to name a few.
It is no hidden fact that miscarriages hurt you deeply. The trauma that comes with it is unbearable, but you will have to get through it. Don’t blame yourself for the situation, you may not know it but miscarriages are quite common. Doctors have said that one out of four pregnancies ends up in a miscarriage. If you have experienced more than two consecutive miscarriages then you are suffering from a recurrent miscarriage. If you are going through recurrent miscarriages then there are some medical conditions to blame.
Is miscarriage the end?
A recurrent miscarriage may sometimes complicate things a little, but don’t think that it is the end. As the medical research has progressed, there are several ways for you to get pregnant or have a child. There is in vitro fertilization or IVF which is one of the best ways to cope with a miscarriage. Even if you are having some problem with your fallopian tube IVF can solve your problems and fertilization will be done in the lab and the embryo will be implanted.
How to cope with the emotional stress?
Miscarriages are hard in itself, and you need to deal with the post-miscarriage situation with the utmost maturity to keep your psychological and physical state under complete care. Emotionally good health will go a long way and let you think clearly about your options. If the stress and sadness of the miscarriage have brought you down, then seek the counseling of psychiatrist. Don’t feel ashamed to share your feeling and never suppress them. Talk about them and if needed join a support group that will help you to get through the tough situation.
Remember one thing that if you are emotionally aggrieved and suppress your feelings then that will take a toll on your relationship with your partner. With IVF becoming so developed, there is no need to lament about miscarriage.
How can I improve my fertility?
You may be suffering from recurrent miscarriages, but you should not lose your hope. Keep on trying and you may succeed. You never know. Visit the specialists and let them know your medical history. With special care, IVF can solve all your problems.
But only IVF would never work. Opt for a healthy lifestyle by doing exercises, eating healthy foods, quit smoking, and reduce your alcohol and caffeine intake. You should take a multivitamin rich in folic acid every day. You should also restrict your exposure to environmental chemicals and toxins. It is advisable that you leave behind any kind of heavy lifting, strenuous physical exercises, and any dangerous contact sports. Try not to take stress by taking up yoga or tai chi. And most importantly, try to maintain a healthy sexual relationship with your partner and contact your doctor to know when can you get pregnant again.
Seeing someone who used to do all their activities on their own turn to someone who needs help even with small things like going to the bathroom can be very difficult.
The lungs are vital organs in that they are essential to supply oxygen to the entire body. If the various organs do not receive adequate oxygen, their function can be impaired. Therefore, lung function needs to be maintained. Lung function can be impaired by chronic conditions like COPD and bronchiectasis. In both these, the overall ability of the lungs to take in adequate oxygen is reduced. Therefore, the lungs need to be rehabilitated so that they can improve their ability to function better. These exercises are aimed at the following:
- Improve ability to breathe effectively
- Reduce episodes of breathlessness
- Reduce the number of hospitalizations required to clear sputum and infections
- Improve ability to perform small, routine chores on their own
- Improve exercise tolerance over a period of time
- Improve overall quality of life
- Reduce morbidity and mortality rates
It has been proven beyond doubt that in addition to medications, physiotherapy plays a vital role in improving lung function over a period of time. Depending on the actual condition of the patient, a physiotherapy program is drawn up. Initially, the therapist will guide the patient and/or the caretaker with the various exercises. Over a period of time, the caretaker and the patient can do these on their own. The intent of these common exercises is to improve breathing efficiency, clear mucus, and improve overall lung function.
- Active breathing techniques (ABT) – We all know that breathing is involuntary; however, making an effort to consciously breathe can improve the efficiency. More oxygen is taken in and sent to the various organs, thereby rejuvenating the entire body.
- Postural drainage: With any chronic lung condition, sputum or mucus tends to accumulate in various parts of the lungs. If not drained, it can attract more bacteria and cause infection. The patient is made to lie in various positions so that different parts of the lungs are drained, aided by gravity. This is highly effective in clearing secretions.
- Pursed lip breathing: Inhaling through the nose and letting the air out through the mouth like how a candle is blown helps improve lung function.
- Forced coughing: A person is taught to induce coughing so that secretions are cleared out, thereby reducing chances of infection. Inhale as usual to the full capacity and exhale in coughing spurts.
It has been proven beyond doubt that with no side effects (unlike medications), physiotherapy improves the overall quality of life in people with COPD.
Piles are a common ailment, albeit distressing, which can be treated with proper operative measures. Piles refer to hemorrhoids which have become swollen or inflamed. Comprised of vital tissues, blood vessels, elastic and muscle fibers, Hemorrhoids are masses and clumps of tissue cushioning and lining the anal canal. The inflammation occurs when there is a rise in the pressure in the small arteries that make up hemorrhoid causing them to enlarge and swell with blood.
Besides the fact that piles, also called as pathological hemorrhoids, can be extremely painful, not operating can give rise to severe health issues. There are different types of piles surgery procedures conducted according to individual needs as prescribed by individual doctors.
Surgery For Piles - What To Expect?
Piles are a common ailment, albeit distressing, which can be treated with proper operative measures. Piles refer to hemorrhoids which have become swollen or inflamed.
Comprised of vital tissues, blood vessels, elastic and muscle fibers, hemorrhoids are masses and clumps of tissue cushioning and lining the anal canal. The inflammation occurs when there is a rise in the pressure in the small veins that make up hemorrhoid causing them to enlarge and swell with blood. Besides the fact that piles, also called as pathological hemorrhoids, can be extremely painful, not operating can give rise to severe health issues other than severe anemia and weakness. There are different types of piles surgery procedures conducted according to individual needs as prescribed by individual doctors.
This procedure involves injecting a chemical into hemorrhoids. The chemical causes the hemorrhoids to contract and stop bleeding. Most individuals encounter little or no pain with the shot. In the case of small internal hemorrhoids, Sclerotherapy is shown to have the best benefit rates.
Stapled Hemorrhoidopexy, also commonly known as MIPH, is a form of surgery which requires 12 hours of hospitalization. This process necessitates general, regional, or local anesthesia. This kind of surgery is used to handle hemorrhoids that have already prolapsed. A surgical staple fixes the prolapsed hemorrhoid inside your rectum and cuts off the blood supply so that the tissue can contract. Recovery from hemorrhoidopexy is less painful and takes lesser time than the recuperation period of a hemorrhoidectomy.
Excision used to be prescribed for hemorrhoid sufferers. This therapy involves the surgical removal of the hemorrhoids with a cautery, laser or knife. Although these methods are slightly different, the outcomes are identical. Excision results in discomfort and pain in the perianal area that lasts from two weeks to two months. The pain during bowel elimination also lasts for approximately the same time.
Management of the hemorrhoids with proper medication, diet and workout is by far the safest way to go. Only in the case of lifestyle changes failing to solve the condition, surgical interference should be considered.
During the menstrual days, it is necessary to use some kind of padding or easily absorbent material to remain clean and hygienic throughout the day. This material is available in form of tampons or sanitary napkins.
What is the difference between tampons and sanitary napkin
- The tampon is a mass of retentive material shaped in a cylinder, which needs to be inserted into the vagina. Most tampons have a cord or string to aid manual removal. Tampons are used especially when you have to wear tight fitting clothes.
- The sanitary napkins are disposable flat pads that are worn externally to collect menstrual blood and prevent staining. These are mostly made of rayon or cotton. They are available in a variety of sizes, with added benefits of extra absorption and fragrance in some cases. They are easier to carry.
Benefits of using a tampon
- Tampons are easy to use provided you are very well informed and well practiced about its usage and methods of insertion
- Tampons can absorb menstrual blood, depending on your flow, for up to six hours.
- Tampons are more hygienic as the entire material does not get soaked. This helps in preventing the menstrual blood from coming in contact with underwear, skin and staining other clothing.
Disadvantages of using a tampoon
- Tampons, if not changed within 4-6 hours, may cause leakage and staining.
- The insertion of a tampon is extremely inconvenient and uncomfortable if not used by practiced hands.
- Incorrect insertion can be painful and lead to injuries and infection
- Leaving a tampon on for too long can cause a Toxic Shock Syndrome. It is a fatal disease caused by toxins and bacterial infection.
- Tampons may increase menstrual cramps in some cases.
Benefits of using sanitaary napkins
- Sanitary napkins are easy to use. They come in flat, rectangular shapes of absorbent material that are stuck on the underwear and absorb menstrual blood externally.
- Can be worn overnight.
- Easier to use and convenient to carry around.
- Helps to monitor the flow of blood
- Lessens the risk of infections, and there are fewer health risks
Disadvantages of sanitary napkins
- Cannot prevent menstrual odours
- The absorption rate is lower than tampons
- They show through clothing and tight fitted clothes cannot be worn
It is difficult to say which one is a better or healthier option. Both kinds have their own advantages and disadvantages and are a matter of individual preference. No matter what you use, it is important for you to keep in mind that it is necessary to change it after a few hours, and regular washing helps keeping the menstrual odour in check. It also keeps the pubic region clean and free from the risks of bacterial infections. It is necessary to remain active and maintain a healthy diet to have a regular smooth flow without blood clots. In case of uncontrolled bleeding, you must seek medical attention without delay.