Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Brahman Sabha Nursing HomeYour feedback matters!
Swimming or running? Having to prioritize between the two can be quite a daunting task. While swimming has its loyal followers, one cannot ignore the health benefits of running either. In fact, swimming and running are like two faces of the same coin. What is suitable for one may not be an ideal choice for another. While swimming may be helpful for some, others might benefit from running. Following the mad rush does not make any sense. Know what are your requirements, strengths, and weaknesses and then choose between the two.
This article is an attempt to clear your confusion and thus, help you choose between the two.
- Injury: Running and swimming can both result in an injury. However, running is more intense. Thus, chances and frequency of an injury (muscle cramps, ligament tear, sprain or fracture) are slightly more in the case of running. In comparison, swimming is less strenuous. There is less probability of a sprain or a fracture in swimming.
- Body workout: If you are looking for a complete body workout, swimming is what the doctors have just advised. The different strokes in swimming ensure maximum muscular movements. Every part of your body, from head toe, are involved in swimming. Running, however, is not a complete body workout.
- Joint problems: For people with joint problems or associated conditions such as arthritis (especially Rheumatoid Arthritis), running might be highly uncomfortable and risky, aggravating the problems further. Under such circumstances, swimming comes as a much-needed breather. Not only is it safe, but also comfortable (people with severe arthritis should, however, consult the doctor before swimming). Swimming is an excellent exercise for improving the motor skills and also building on the core strength.
- Calories burned: Finally some good news for the runners. If you are looking for a high-calorie burnout (where you have to sweat it out literally), running is what you just need. Swimming also helps to burn the calories, but running has a slightly higher impact. As per a survey, you burn close to 700 calories by running for seven miles per hour. Surprising, you burn only 550 calories (per hour) by swimming 50 yards per minute.
- Bone health: If swimming is good for the joints, running is important for your bones. Running plays a pivotal role in improving and increasing the bone density in a person.
- Hormonal affect: Swimming is believed to improve your cognitive abilities. Endorphins, also known as the "Feel Good" hormone is known to lift your spirits. It enhances your mood like never before. Swimming releases this important hormone in your body. No wonder you feel so good and relaxed after swimming.
Both swimming and running come with their own sets of merits and demerits. Choosing between the two can be an uphill task. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Physiotherapist.
In today’s stressful environment, many couples who are not able to conceive naturally are considering alternate solutions such as in vitro fertilisation (IVF) treatment. Trying to get pregnant through IVF treatment is a lengthy and complex process. Other techniques such as endometrial scratching or endometrial biopsy are worth learning about when it comes to such processes which can be radically life changing.
What is endometrial scratching?
As explained in high school biology textbooks, an embryo eventually gets transferred to the womb where it is embedded. Endometrial scratching is an attempt to improve the rate at which the embryos get transferred to the womb of a woman.
This is done by making a small scratch on the uterus which serves to hasten the growth of the new tissue, which is essentially the body’s reaction to the scratch. Proponents of this process believe that this growth of new tissue goes a long way in improving the degree of responsiveness of the womb to the embryo when it comes to accepting it.
How it can help?
While detractors do exist, it is to be kept in mind that there are some great potential benefits of undergoing this procedure and that is, it can possibly improve the efficacy of the IVF treatment. Taking into account the amount of effort and expense that goes into a course of treatment, it does appeal to a lot of women to go for endometrial scratching, and it can be said that it does make sense. When it comes to choosing the ideal time to undergo this procedure, a woman can schedule a slot, a week after ovulation, as this is also likely to be a week before the IVF treatment begins, if a woman plans on having it.
If a woman is interested in the prospect of endometrial scratching, she should talk to a doctor who is a specialist in the field of gynaecology and has a proven track record. The doctor would list out the benefits and risks of the same and be a good judge of whether she is a good candidate for endometrial scratching. For those women who have tried IVF a couple of times previously, but have not been able to conceive may find endometrial scratching beneficial. So, most women who are giving IVF a go for the first time do not have much of a need to sign up for endometrial scratching.
Endometriosis is a condition where the endometrial tissue lining the womb, grows outside the urethral lining. This can cause severe pelvic pain and a host of other complications, if it is not treated on time.
Here is everything you need to know about this ailment.
Owing to the location of this tissue and its painful protrusion through the lining or walls of the womb, one of the earliest and most painful symptoms experienced may include severe cramps and pain during the menstrual cycle. Also, the patient will experience pain in the lower abdomen region about a week before the onset of the cycle. Heavy bleeding as well as infertility may be experienced in such cases too. Sexual intercourse will also give rise to pain in the region, while discomfort will be felt during the bowel movements. Pain in the lower back will also be experienced throughout the menstruation period.
Stages: There are several stages of this disease and its progression, each of which will require a different form of treatment. These four stages usually depend on the location, size, depth and number of the endometrial implants within the body of the patient.
- Minimal Stages: In this stage, usually there will be small wounds and lesions as well as shallow implants on the ovaries. Inflammation in the pelvic cavity can also be felt in this stage.
- Mild Stage: In this stage, there will also be light lesions and shallow implants which will spread over the ovaries as well as the pelvic lining.
- Moderate Stage: In this stage, the implants will dig deeper into the ovaries and the pelvic lining, which will result in the growth of even more lesions.
- Severe Stage: As the name suggests, in this stage the patient will experience deep implants along with lesions in the bowels and the fallopian tubes.
- Eliminate nonorganic dairy products, beef, and chicken – because organic foods contain no added growth hormones. Increase nutrient-rich foods, especially cruciferous vegetables (broccoli cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage, and bok choy), soy, cold-water fish (small fish when possible) and fiber.
- Limit alcohol intake. Remember to eat protein at each meal and at each snack to keep the hormones more stable.
- Maintain healthy levels of body fat to limit endogenous estrogen production.
- Supplement with vitamins and minerals (especially calcium and magnesium) to make up for what is lacking in your daily food intake – pharmaceutical grade is the best.
- Supplement with omega–3 essential fatty acids as a natural anti-inflammatory.
There are varied forms of this treatment including pain relief medication for minimal to mild stage patients. Also, hormonal therapy with the help of supplements may be prescribed. Hormonal contraceptives may also be used. In such cases, medication like Danazol, Medroxyprogesterone,
Gonadotripin releasing hormone agonists, and other such elements may be prescribed. Conservative surgery and radical surgery may follow, depending on the severity of the condition. Laparoscopy is the preferred form of treatment in such cases. A hysterectomy can be conducted as a final resort where the surgeon will remove the cervix as well as the uterus of the patient. This will make pregnancy impossible for the patient, thereafter. To stem estrogen production, the ovaries will also be removed.
One must discuss all risks and complications before going in for a certain form of treatment for this ailment
I have problem about pre ejaculate and not proper erection last three month .When I tried to conceive not perform well. My age 27 not any major problem .my marriage time is 3 year. I trying for pregnancy last three month but not success. My sperm count report indicate 51mil count. Doctor give Productive m for it.
I am 4th month pregnant. My Dr. Gave me calcium tablets Milical OD3 of 1450 mg daily to eat. But I cannot tolerate calcium tablets. After eating this tablet I feel restlessness for the whole day. Is there any other option or any ayurvedic calcium supplement. Please suggest.
Hello. Doctor I am 20 years old its been 7 days milk is discharging from my breast if I am pressing my nipples. Sometimes milk is coming and sometime water is coming so please help I am really worried and please do recommend any medicine.
Infertility is a condition when a woman fails to conceive even after a year of unprotected regular sexual intercourse. If she is unable to carry the baby to term, it’s called infertility too. Mankind has made giant leaps in curing this condition. But something’s still lacking. This is where the ancient healing system of medicine Ayurveda comes in.
There are a number of reasons for infertility we know women can’t get pregnant if their partner’s sperm count is low or if they have obstructions in their reproductive system like blocked fallopian tubes or fibroids etc. But Ayurveda goes beyond all these. According to it, infertility arises when “shukra dhatu” which produces eggs in women and sperms in me, is weak due to lack of proper nutrition which may happen as a result of poor digestion, lack of balanced diet or due to a presence of ‘ama’ or toxins in the body.
Ayurveda also prescribes that sexual indulgence and promiscuity can cause infertility due to the decrease in shukra dhatu. Ayurvedic fertility enhancers
- Kapikacchu: A potent antioxidant, this medicine reduces oxidative damage to sperm. It is also an aphrodisiac and helps increase sperm count.
- Gokshura: Contains a precursor to testosterone, and thus improves sexual desire and sperm production.
- Ashoka: It stimulates the endometrium in uterus and ovaries and aids ovulation.
- Lodhra: Cures female disorders which stop conception and increase levels of reproductive hormones like FSH and LH essential for conception.
- Shatavari: Nourishes ovum and increases fertility because it contain estrogen –like compounds.
- Gokshura: This herb is helpful for both men and women. It helps cure erectile dysfunction and is very effective in improving sperm count and motility. Whereas in women it works as a fertility tonic that stimulates the ovaries and thus cures PCOS, a leading cause of infertility in women.
What Ayurveda recommends is eating a diet rich in foods like ‘ghee’, milk, almonds, walnuts, sesame and pumpkin seeds to improve health and thus shukra that. Since ‘vata’ dosha is closely connected to the reproductive system in women, it should be regulated for proper ovulation. And so should be extra stress and worry in both men and women.
Other ways to cure infertility, especially in men, is to wear loose underwear, so that ‘pitta’ is controlled and the sperm production is good. This also ensures good quality of sperm. Ayurveda should never be practised by self. Always consult an expert who will prescribe the right medicines for infertility. Doing everything in balance is crucial too. So be mindful of what you eat, think, watch, read and eat right and develop a healthy body for getting rid of infertility.
Do the frequent changes in the season really affect your body and food habits?
A big YES!
Selection of appropriate food according to seasonal change is very important for staying healthy. In modern times, most fresh fruits and veggies are available round the year, however, the nutritional content is much less in the non-seasonal fruits and vegetables. An update of your eating habits consistently is a must to stimulate energy level of your body.
Here are some key dietary behaviors that must be considered while choosing the perfect diet plan for different seasons-
- Cherish the novelty of Spring
In spring, the green leafy vegetables with their fresh, tender leaves represent the arrival of the new season. These must be added to your menu that must include such lettuce, parsley, spinach, basil and fruits like strawberries, apricot, blueberries, peaches, and cherries etc. Try to consume less amount of salt in this season.
- Take Delight in the cool squash of Summer
Due to excessive heat in the summers, it is recommended to adhere to the watery, cool and light diet. Include seasonal fruits like watermelon, plums, melons, cherries, vegetables such as tomatoes, cucumber, mint etc in your regular diet. Restore your energy with cool, refreshing drinks such as fresh juices, coconut water, milk shakes etc. Drink lots and lots of water during the summers.
- Relish the freshness of Raindrops
The Monsoon season comes with lots of lip smacking food items. In this season, many people face dyspepsia problems so pick up foods that are easily digestible. Avoid consumption of watery foods, heavy meals, meat and fish. Eat gram flour, brown rice, barley, corn, oats, garlic, ginger, turmeric, yogurt and fruits like pomegranate and apple.
- Savor the crisp sunshine of Autumn
Consumption of warm harvest food products is appropriate for this season. Veggies like onion, fenugreek, garlic, pumpkin and fruits such as banana, pears, apple, cranberries work well in this season. Spices, nuts and seasonings like cinnamon, mustard seeds, walnuts, and peppercorns are a must in the autumn months.
- Enjoy the warmness of Winter season
As soon as the cold winter seeps in, you must eat warm nutritional foods. In the winter months, the guiding principle is that the foods that are slow to grow are more warming than the ones that grow rather quickly. This means you can take foods like lamb, fish and chicken and root vegetables like onion, garlic, potato and carrots. You can also take sesame, corn, fenugreek and milk products that are good sources of nutrition.
In short just 'Eat by the season' to stay healthy!
The most common ear infections happen because of bacterial or viral growth in the middle ear, the part which lies just behind the ear drum. Middle-ear infections can be very painful and children are most commonly affected. Most of these infections are caused transmission through the Eustachian tube, which connects the ear and the throat, causing the build-up of fluids and swelling. Here is a guide to the most common forms of ear infections and their symptoms, ranging from the acute to the chronic.
Acute infections have intense symptoms but can be cured with time and treatment. They generally last for shorter durations.
In Chronic cases of infections, the patient complains of recurrent symptoms multiple times. Chronic ear infections have the potential of causing permanent damage to the ear.
Symptoms reported by most patients with Ear infections:
- Pain in the ear (Mild to severe): This is caused due to increased pressure owing to the blockage of the Eustachian tube. The collection of fluid inside the ear would increase the intensity of pain in most cases. Children will keep tugging at their ear and most likely be cranky.
- Redness and swelling of the eardrum: Both of these are inevitable accompanying symptoms in case of any infection in the body.
- Oozing of the fluids: The blockage leads to the fluid being released from the ear by a perforation that develops ear drum, which can be watery, thick yellow or mixed with blood depending on the severity and type of infection.
- Difficulty in sleeping.
- In some cases when the infection spreads, difficulty in balancing the body is experienced as body balance is maintained by ears.
- The patient might also experience increased irritability.
- Ear infections can also cause a hearing problem if the condition continues to go untreated.
Ear infections should be promptly dealt with to prevent long-term damages. So here is what should be done when you have ear pain symptoms.
- Consult an ENT who will prescribe pain medication as the first line of treatment.
- After the necessary tests are done, antibiotics are prescribed in most cases by the doctor. Other medications for palliative treatment (to ease the symptoms) are administered. However, in a few rare cases, the infection might be because of non-bacterial causes in which antibiotics might not cure the state.
- In case the problem keeps recurring, one must visit the doctor again and get further tests and treatment done. Treating nasal infections plays a very important part in preventing ear infections
As prevention is always better than cure, care should be taken to avoid all chances of carrying the infection to your ear. Maintain cleanliness in and around, especially in the case of children.
The brain is not a stagnant realm fed with a granted quota of intelligence and memory at birth. It is always in a state of flux. Exercising your brain in various ways accelerates its ability to perform better. It is in your hands to have a sharper take on situations and occurrences. Playing games that require brainstorming, solving quizzes, crosswords or playing chess makes you feel rejuvenated and tired at the same time; the reason being activated brain cells. A healthy brain will affect your life decisions positively and you probably will think rightly before you leap.
Tips to exercise those brain cells:
- Meditate and calm your mind: Ten minutes of meditation each day can help you get over anxiety. When your mind is at peace you think out pros and cons with enhanced insight. This composure reflects in each of your actions. Meditation demands your brain to be quiet when it is accustomed to work; you therefore have greater control over it.
- Music can improve your brain abilities: Music is the best antidote for a sloppy brain. Music excites the neurons healing a bruised memory. It gifts you with clarity of thought. Apart from listening to music one must try to play a musical instrument. Teaching yourself things puts your mind through a strict regimen of constructive activities.
- Take out time to learn a new language: We are paralyzed the minute our brain gives up. Due to several external and internal reasons each one of us is likely to suffer from cognitive disorders on being subjected to extreme pressure or shock. Trying to learn a new language motivate your brain cells to have a wider vocabulary, which further restricts your chances of brain damage.
- Mental mathematics could better your intelligence: Calculators, computers and phones are ridding us of our ability to compute individual data. Computation and consolidation of data helps your mind to work faster with precision. So, you now know those lessons on mental mathematics in childhood were actually the key to a well rounded brain.
- Think of something novel: The more the number of neurons the merrier is your brain. Take pains to direct your mind on a novel track. Thinking beyond what is given and expected helps your brain grow new neurons. It builds up your creativity letting you discover more of your capabilities. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a neurosurgeon.
Black walnuts are one of the best foods to have. They have tonnes of health benefits owing to their multi-utility nutrient source. Not only it can keep a person away from various diseases, it can ensure steady health in an individual. The best part is the fact that black walnut can be used to make multiple yummy dishes.
Here are some of the no-so-known benefits of black walnuts:
- Parasites: Green harvested black walnuts are known to be very useful vermifuge. They serve as a very good treatment for ailment concerning pinworms, hookworms, tapeworms and such other parasites.
- Candida: Overgrowth of Candida is hard to diagnose and can pose a serious threat to health. When Canida overgrowth attacks the intestine, the intestinal wall becomes weak and toxins are being released in the process. The immune system becomes weak and it takes a lot of antibiotics to set things right. A good alternative to the powerful antibiotic is a 3 serving black walnuts. They contain compounds such as the zinc undecylenate, selenium sulfide, astringent tannins, naphthoquinone juglone etc. can make the walls of the intestine favorable and arrest the growth of Candida.
- Antifungal: Black walnut is known to have antifungal properties and is, therefore, used to treat fungal infections leading to conditions such as the ringworm, jock itch and athlete’s foot etc. Black walnut when pasted and applied to the site of the infection can fetch dramatic results within a short time interval.
- Skin conditions: Black walnut is a good fix for many skin conditions. It can successfully address skin conditions such as psoriasis, acne, and eczema. Depending on the seriousness of the skin condition, the tincture can be applied externally or consumed internally.
- Excessive sweat: For people who sweat way too much, black walnut can be their best friend. The presence of high level of astringent tannins in black walnuts can address the sweat gland to ensure that excessive sweat is not produced. Studies have also revealed that black walnut can also help to reduce body odor.
- Diabetes and cardiovascular benefits: A study conducted by the Harvard School of Nutritional Sciences revealed that black walnuts can reduce the LDL cholesterol by a good 4 percent. What’s more, no weight gain is associated with the over-consumption of black walnut. Similarly, their nutritional value can help an individual lower blood pressure, reduce blood sugar level and refrain from cardiovascular diseases.
- Anti-cancer properties: There have been many studies conducted on the effect of black walnut on cancer. Most studies have found that juglone, a compound present in black walnut is capable of kill cancer cells by the process of necrosis and apoptosis. 3 serving daily can fetch rich dividends to cancer patients. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.
ADHD, which stands for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, is a chronic brain condition that leads to difficulty in prolonging attention on to a single thing, impulsiveness and hyperactivity. Though it mostly affects children and teenagers, it often continues into adult life as well, and can pose serious issues in adult lives - specially in maintaining jobs and relationships.
Effects of ADHD on your sex life:
- Impulsivity: If you are suffering from ADHD, it is highly probable that you are often very impulsive in nature - and are susceptible to taking a number of risky decisions, such as unprotected sex.
- Attention-deficit problems: Since your thoughts are often jumping from one thought to the other, you will find it very difficult to actually concentrate on any single job at hand. Since sex requires attention and use of judgment, distractions can prove to be detrimental to a healthy sex life.
- Hyper-sexuality: This refers to the condition of an unnaturally high sex drive. It is basically caused by the stimulation of the brain by the release of endorphins during sexual arousal, which often leads to calmness and relaxes the restlessness that is otherwise so common to ADHD patients.
- Hypo-sexuality: This is exact opposite of hypersexuality. This condition refers to an unnaturally low sex drive, where you may often lose all interest in sexual activity completely. Often, this is a product of ADHD itself, but it can also be attributed to being a side effect of a certain type of medication, especially anti-depressants.
- Other disorders: Women suffering from ADHD have been known to have difficulties in achieving orgasm, often in spite of prolonged sexual stimulation. Also, if you are suffering from ADHD, you may also tend to be hypersensitive - which implies, something that feels pleasurable to your partner, may be painful or irritating for you.
Certain suggested treatments for improving the sex lives of people suffering from ADHD are:
- Including variety in sexual activity, such as different locations, positions etc.
- Communication, which proves very beneficial in combating intimacy issues
- Prioritize, and try to stay in the moment and not zone out, if you are suffering from ADHD disorders
If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist.
When a woman's vaginal muscles squeeze tightly, or slams shut making it impossible or extremely painful when penetration with the penis or any other object is attempted, we describe that situation as 'vaginismus'. It's an involuntary contraction of muscles surrounding the vaginal opening. It is different from voluntarily squeezing the vaginal muscles out of fear. Vaginismus happens out of the person's control. In other words, the opening shuts automatically, when intercourse or insertion of a medical instrument is attempted. Penetration would not happen; the attempt would end up in pain for the woman. In the case of intercourse, she might describe the experience as a feeling that the man is 'hitting a wall'. Usually, women having vaginismus would fear genital examination and disallow it, especially inserting any object -even a finger, leave alone the speculum. There are cases where women kicked the staff, jumped off the examination table and ran out. Ridiculous as it might appear, it's a genuine morbid fear for the woman.
Why does it happen?
No physical cause is identified with vaginismus. It's considered mostly psychogenic. In some women, it can be traced to a previous painful intercourse, or a rough and injurious attempt at intercourse, and severe anxiety. Some are severely apprehensive and anticipate pain and injury during first intercourse. I have known a woman who was terrified watching her sister deliver a baby, and decided to never conceive. The subconscious association of intercourse with pregnancy used to trigger anxiety in her whenever intercourse is attempted and resulted in vaginismus.
How can it be resolved?
It can be resolved, though it's a little time-consuming therapeutic process. It is not cured with medicines. And, there is no need for surgery. A sex therapist skilled in treating vaginismus, can help the couple resolve their problem through therapeutic suggestions and counseling, without touching the client (I mention this because several clients keep asking us anxiously "do you have to examine me?", and feeling so much relieved on hearing a "no!").
How does the therapist go about it?
- Educating the couple: The couple – especially the woman needs awareness about her basic anatomy and function of the sex organs. what each is meant for, how one should touch, explore and handle them.
- Exercises: During sex therapy, she will be given various homework exercises that include:
- exploring genitals to increase her level of comfort with the genital area.
- using graded vaginal trainers to be inserted into the vagina gently and gradually in a non-threatening way at her own pace, and
- controlling and relaxing vaginal muscles, and stretching the vagina.
- Relaxation: Getting yourself to relax progressively is a matter of exploration and touching, which can help you understand the kind of touch and the exact areas that make you tense. During sex therapy, you may be taught a technique known as progressive relaxation. The purpose is to get gradually comfortable with insertion.
- Sensate focus: This is a part of sex therapy and involves your partner. In this method, you will be asked to abstain from sex and touch each other without going to the genitals and other private parts. This will help in better arousal and sexual stimulation, especially for those women who, for fear of intercourse, also experience arousal problems.
Surgery: Surgery is rarely indicated in vaginismus, unless a physical problem is contributing to it or when there is a need to enlarge the vagina. This may be necessary if a previous surgery has left scar tissue making vaginal entry painful, such as an episiotomy during childbirth. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist.