Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet
Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet, a macrolide antibiotic is useful for the treatment of a number of bacterial infections. This includes skin infections, respiratory tract infections, chlamydia infections, syphilis and pelvic inflammatory disease. It is also used in conjunction with neomycin for decontaminating the bowel.
Streptococcal infection in newborns can be prevented by taking this medicine during pregnancy. Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet may also be used to improve delayed stomach emptying. It can be given intravenously and orally. This medicine is not supposed to be given to a child without a doctor's advice. It is also used in the treatment of gastroparesis.
Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet also has a few side effects. Common side effects include diarrhoea, vomiting and abdominal cramps. More serious side effects may include liver problems, allergic reactions and prolonged QT. To make sure Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet is safe for you, tell your physician if you have the following:
- Kidney or liver disease;
- Myasthenia gravis;
- Electrolytic imbalance (such as low potassium or magnesium levels in your blood);
- A history of Long QT syndrome;
- Breastfeeding a baby or;
- Taking medicines for heart rhythm disorder.
Your doctor may have to change your treatment plan if you use drugs such as cisapride, pimozide, ergotamine or dihyfroergotamine as these drugs interfere with the proper functioning of Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet.
Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet usually is taken every 6 hours (four times a day), every 8 hours (three times a day), or every 12 hours (twice a day). Skipping doses should be avoided as it may increase your risk of further infection which is resistant to antibiotics.
Severe Liver Impairment
How long is the duration of effect?The effect of this medicine lasts for an average duration of 4 to 6 hours.
What is the onset of action?The peak effect of this medicine can be observed within 3 hours of oral administration.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?Clear data is not available regarding the use of this medicine in pregnant women. Use only if the benefits outweigh the risks and if no other safer alternative is available.
Is it habit forming?No habit forming tendency has been reported.
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?A small amount of this medicine is excreted in human breast milk. Use only if benefits outweigh the risks and if no other safer alternative is available. Monitoring of diarrhea, thrush and diaper rash is necessary.
Is It safe with alcohol?This medicine is found to be unsafe if consumed along with Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?This medicine does not usually affects patients ability to drive or his consciousness.
Does this affect kidney function?This medicine is found to be safe to use in patients with renal disease. Adjustment of dose is not required. Consult your doctor for further details.
Does this affect liver function?Caution must be taken in patients with liver disease. Adjustment of dose is needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet , and hence can be used as its substitute.
Missed Dose instructionsThe missed dose can be taken as soon as you remember. However, the missed dose should be skipped if it is almost time for your next dose.
Overdose instructionsSeek emergency medical treatment or contact the doctor in case of an overdose.
It works by passively diffusing through cell membranes and reversibly binding to the 50S subunit of the bacterial ribosome. This prevents protein synthesis in the bacterial cells which can either stop their growth or cause death.
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Alcohol
Interaction with Lab Test
Interaction with Medicine
- Protease inhibitor like amprenavir and ritonavir may increase erythromycin's serum concentration.
- Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet decreases clearance of carbamazepine, cyclosporine, and triazolam, alfentanil, bromocriptine, digoxin (~10% of patients), disopyramide, ergot alkaloids, methylprednisolone; may decrease clearance of protease inhibitors.
- Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet may decrease theophylline clearance and increase theophylline's half-life by up to 60% (patients on high-dose theophylline and erythromycin or who have received erythromycin for >5 days may be at higher risk).
- Decreases metabolism of terfenadine, cisapride, and astemizole resulting in an increase in Q-T interval and potential heart failure.
- Inhibits felodipine (and other dihydropyridine calcium antagonist) metabolism in the liver resulting in a twofold increase in levels and consequent toxicity.
- Death has been reported by the potentiation of pimozide's cardiotoxicity when given concurrently with erythromycin. Use contraindicated.
- May potentiate the anticoagulant effect of warfarin and decrease the metabolism of vinblastine.
- Concurrent use of erythromycin and lovastatin and simvastatin may result in significantly increased levels and rhabdomyolysis.
Interaction with Disease
Impaired Liver FunctionStanmycin 250 MG Tablet should be used with caution in the patients with a history of liver disease. Frequent monitoring of liver function tests is necessary. Dose adjustments are to be made based on the severity of liver injury.
Qt ProlongationInform your doctor if you have arrhythmia, any heart disease or drugs that prolong QT interval such as psychiatric drugs and anti-arrhythmic drugs.
Interaction with Food
Ques: What is Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the uses of Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the side effects of Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet?
Ques: Are there any storage instructions for Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet?
Ques: Can the use of Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet cause diarrhea?
Ques: How long does Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet take to work?
Ques: What if I don't get better after using an Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet?
Ques: Can I stop taking Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet when my symptoms are relieved?
Ques: Can the use of Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet cause infertility?
Ques: Are there any changes required in the dietary regime during the course of treatment with Stanmycin 250 MG Tablet?
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.