Find numerous Psychologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Psychologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Psychologists online in Kolkata. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Depression
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Anxiety
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Anxiety and Depression
Treatment Of Anxiety Attacks
Sex Addiction Counselling
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Stress
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Abnormal Behavior
Treatment of Trichotillomania
Submit a review for Dr. Ms. Paromita Mitra BhaumikYour feedback matters!
Genophobia or coitophobia is the irrational psychological fear of intercourse. It is a type of a phobia and people suffering from it fill all or most of the criteria of specific phobia according to the ICD (The International Statistical Classification of Diseases). Genophobic people may be terrified of sexual intercourse or all acts involving sex. It is different from erotophobia in the sense erotophobia is the irrational fear of sexuality and not the act in itself.
- The causes of genophobia may be attributed to different experiences and origins according to different psychological perspectives. According to the psychoanalytic perspective, genophobia may be caused by the rigid or extremely religious upbringing, which affected the development of ego, making the individual fear all acts that are sexual because it causes moral anxiety and a severe clash of the superego (ethical portion of one's personality)and i'd (primitive component of one's personality).
- According to the learning perspective, genophobia may develop due to an unpleasant sexual experience such as rape or molestation. Rape Trauma Syndrome leads the survivor to relive the trauma several times and develop apprehension. They may begin to fear sex eventually by relating it to the unpleasant experience, eventually leading to genophobia. It may also be caused if the individual observes sexual acts that are traumatizing in nature, in media or otherwise.
- It may also result from severe performance anxiety, especially for those who lack sexual experience and have abstained from sex for a prolonged period of time. There is also a chance that other phobias, such as the fear of diseases, especially STDs, may lead to a fear of sexual acts. Some people might relate sexual intercourse with acquiring diseases, thus leading to the development of genophobia.
Symptoms: Symptoms of genophobia include the fear of sexual intercourse and all acts within, breathlessness, nausea, dizziness, feeling sick and fear of losing control. All these symptoms take place in the context of sexual acts.
Treatment: Genophobia is treated like all other phobias. Therapeutic technique such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (a conversation centric therapy that focuses on how thoughts and beliefs can affect one's actions) is widely used in the treatment of genophobia along with medications. The therapeutic technique varies from patient to patient. For instance, the therapeutic technique used for a rape survivor would be completely different from that which is used for an individual with a fear of STDs. With proper treatment, genophobia is curable, eventually allowing the individual to have a particularly healthy sex life. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Sexologist.
A student. Sometimes I used to smoke & now I am feeling very low. So smoking is the issue for this weakness.Please tell.
I am suffering from stress and depration for a long time even hidden fear and thoughts of uneven thinking and feel that life is meenigful I have taken psychic treatment from last 10 years but not regular because I am suffering from so many hardship and difficulties and monatory problems. My birthe date is 3-6-1955 at present I am taking 1 taxina1 or taxina 2 when iam feel nervous and at the time of uneven thinking about my self and life as a humanbeing pls help me to outcome from my psychic and mental disorder illness for the help to save my life god bless you by all means and all way pls consider my request to help me for my mentaldisorder health. I dont want mony but want sombodys sympathy to save some one life who is at the last leg of his life.
actually I have take a alcohol and cigrate socially not a daily habit but some time both a continue for some time. Eating habit is simple no any non veg and other things.
My 15 year old daughter otherwise an intelligent girl gets v depressed in the evenings. Shes going to appear for her 10th board exams in March. She says she can't define what she feels but she feels like crying as evenings make her sad. How can I help her?
I am a boy. But usually when ever I get chance I use to dress up as a girl with full makeover. And just feel lyk a girl. Now it became habitually for me. To be a girl. For this reason my health also becoming very thin. Many times I have tried to stop this but I desire to do again n again. How to solve it out with this problem.
I'm a 26 years old male. I've always resisted to get a professional help. But now I guess I must. I feel sleepy, dull, weak, uninterested the whole day and it's affecting my life. I think I'm going through depression. I need help to get my life on track while there's still time.
How can I increase my sex time. I got quick spam fall and all journey was stop there. I'm in very depression. please help.
I lost somebody last last year and since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to myself all the time please help me.
I am in a great depression and I am thinking that I am not able to complete the education and also feeling some headache. I am 18 years of old.
I've had a very bad relationship with a guy and I feel lost and very depressed now. I do not feel like eating anything and I cannot focus on my studies.becozof this I'm losing weight and and I do not even have friends here for an emotional support. I'm only 17 years old. I know I was way too young for all this but I've been fooled and lied on. And I cannot even share all this stuff with my parents neither can go to a doctor so my friend suggested me to try this app. Please can someone suggest me how to get out of all this? I'm so messed up mentally and I really need some suggestions and tips.
I smoke since 9 years which I am trying to quit badly from past one year. I am failing to control my cravings for it. Could you please assist me in quitting completely. Is there any measures to be taken?
What are the real symptoms of having stress and high blood pressure and how to get rid from pain in head?
Hello doctor. My father age 54 has a habit of taking tabacco I advised not to take and he did it also. But after 2 weeks he started again taking it when I asked my dad he said its a difficult to leave without tobacco its just hypnotising my dad. Kindly advice me what to do.
Dear Dr, I am 73 years young but getting older due to depression caused by my son 30 yrs but drug addict since 7 years and till now i have spent most of my savings in his rehab expenditure , Now i think i should expell him from my responsibility , but am afraid once he is out of rehab he may become a criminal , THis is the cause of my constant worry and my family( Wife ) depression. Please help me with practical solution
I have problem related to the brain because some time I forget what was I doing and I consulted many neurologists they told that it's a type of epilepsy so please tell me what should I do now.
Feeling tired all the time? Do you feel that you can’t focus on things anymore? Have you lost interest in things and people you once loved spending time with? Does your temper fly off the hook at the drop of a hat? If it is a ‘yes’ to the questions above, then you might be slowly but steadily succumbing to depression. Depression is a psychological disorder that is characterized by symptoms of extreme sadness, worthlessness and hopelessness over a prolonged period of time.
- Lack of Interest: This is probably the starkest of all the symptoms. Hobbies or activities that you used to enjoy once no longer catch your fancy. You do not find little or no pleasure in social activities or any other hobby of yours anymore.
- A constant Feeling of Hopelessness: You tend to develop a negative outlook towards life in general, as you feel that the current situation will never get better and will only worsen.
- Loss of Appetite: Loss of appetite is a common feature of depression; it can also lead to rapid weight loss. If engulfed by depression, one generally tends to ignore food completely, remain hungry, both of which contribute to the vicious cycle that depression is.
- Changes in Sleep Patterns: Insomnia is a condition that is marked by a sheer inability to sleep, no matter how physically exhausted one is. Depression tends to exhibit this particular symptom in maximum cases. However, oversleeping, or sleeping more than the sufficient hours is also common.
- Reckless Behavior: Depression makes one more prone to reckless behavior; one generally develops an angry and irritated persona; this in turn, may make one to exhibit reckless and rash behavior.
- Lack of Energy and Focus: Depression causes one to feel fatigued and sluggish the entire day. Factors such as a total loss of appetite contribute to this particular symptom. Stemming from these symptoms are two other major occurrences; an inability to focus on anything and an inability to decide on anything.
Self-help, Coping tips and Treatment-
- Connect with different people: Being isolated from the rest can and usually aggravates symptoms of depression. So, reach out to other people and your loved ones; talk to your loved ones and try to empty your mind when you are having a one-to-one with them. Interacting and talking to others will make you feel better and should go a long way in taking that huge rock off your chest.
- Try to ditch that sedentary lifestyle; go out in the open: An early morning jog can feel daunting at first but the benefits are immense. Exercising regularly has been proven to be as effective as anti-depressants in combatting depression. Even a 20 minutes jog early in the morning releases ‘endorphins’ in the body, also known as the ‘feel good hormones’. These hormones induce a feeling of happiness and relaxation, thus taking your mind off any particular event or circumstance that has been ruining your sanctity of late.
- Avoid Alcohol and Drugs: Avoid alcohol and drugs to come out of your sadness; they have never helped and will never help. Taking these substances provides a temporary solution to depression, as it will again show up once the effects of the intoxicants wear off. It will also interfere with other medications that you may be taking to combat depression, thus reducing their potency.
- It’s high time you bought the meditating mat: Sleep has a beneficial effect on your mental health as it has been proven to improve memory and other cognitive and brain functions. Another way to improve brain function and be more relaxed is to meditate regularly. Meditation induces a state of relaxation, and if done on a regular basis, can be an effective treatment for depression. Meditation also helps with an improved focus and reduced anxiety.
- Medications can always help: Medications such as anti-depressants are administered to treat depression. Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs), including citalopram, fluoxetine and sertraline are the most commonly administered medications to cure this condition. However, it is advised to try the abovementioned methods first so that you do not have to depend on medications alone; the reason being that these medications do have their fair share of side effects.