Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Audiologists in India. You will find Audiologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Audiologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Mr. Sandeep N
Submit a review for Mr. Sandeep NYour feedback matters!
I have a problem of pain in ear it is due to over hearing of music through headset with high sound or some type of allergies. How to over come the problem. Suggest me a answer.
One of the small 6 year old child is deaf n dumb and is unable to bear the surgery amount as they no financial setup. Please do the needful for the same.
Loss of hearing cannot be reversed or cured. However, it can be treated. Even people who have lost all hearing can hear sounds again with the help of modern medicine. Treatment for hearing loss depends on a number of factors. This includes the type of hearing loss, the severity of hearing loss, budget etc. The most common treatment options for a loss of hearing are:
Removal of Wax Blockage: Ear wax that accumulates in the inner ear canal is a common cause for temporary loss of hearing. In such cases, cleaning the ear wax can help restore hearing. This should not be attempted at home as damaging the ear canal can result in a permanent hearing loss. To remove the ear wax, a doctor will need to loosen it with oil and then suction out the softened wax.
Surgery: Loss of hearing caused due to a traumatic ear injury can be treated with surgery. This usually involves the insertion of small tubes to help fluid drain out of the ear. This surgery may also be beneficial in the case of temporary loss of hearing caused by recurrent infections.
Hearing Aids: Permanent loss of hearing is usually caused by damage to the inner ear. In such cases, a hearing aid can help. There are many different types of hearing aids available. These hearing aids work by amplifying the sound received and thus making it easier for a person to hear. Hearing aids are removable and can be taken off whenever needed. The most common types of hearing aids are:
- Behind the ear hearing aids – These are large, powerful hearing aids that are used to treat severe loss of hearing.
- In the ear hearing aids – These are small hearing aids that fit within the outer ear and can be used to treat mild to severe loss of hearing.
- In canal hearing aids – These are very small hearing aids that fit inside the ear canal and are thus not visible from outside. They are used to treat mild to moderate loss of hearing.
Cochlear Implants: Severe hearing loss caused by irreparable damage to the inner ear canal can be treated with a cochlear implant. This works by amplifying sounds and transmitting them to the auditory nerves while bypassing the damaged ear canal. A cochlear implant needs to be surgically inserted behind the ear and can be used by children and adults. Cochlear implants have been successfully used to treat people who were born with a loss of hearing. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
You should consider undertaking a cochlear implant in case you are experiencing hearing loss or are turning deaf. This is a small device that gets planted in your ear through a surgical procedure. It sends impulses to your auditory nerves directly, as a result of which sound signals get carried to your brain. Cochlear implants may not make you hear normally again, but help you with different sounds, and in the recognition of the different sounds around you like alarms, telephones, and door bells.
How it works?
- A cochlear implant is fit for children and adults who suffer from the sensorineural hearing loss. This condition damages the tiny hair cells in your inner ear, which is called the cochlea. Hearing becomes impaired when these get damaged.
- The device consists of two specific parts. The first part or the receiver-stimulator is placed under your skin via a surgical procedure. The other part of the device is the speech processor. It has to be worn around your neck in the form of a hearing aid.
- The external device is, however, larger in size than a usual hearing aid. The receiver gets placed under your skin, behind the ear via a small incision. It is connected to electrodes.
- This is inserted into the cochlea of your inner ear. The surgery requires a few hours to be undertaken successfully.
- The speech processor has to be placed two weeks after the surgery is undertaken. The processor can be connected to the microphone, and this can be worn around the ear.
- You can wear it on any other part of your body, based on your lifestyle and age.
Benefits of cochlear implant
The major benefits of a cochlear implant are as follows:
- You might be able to hear speech almost normally.
- You will be able to understand speech better, and will not have to depend on lip reading.
- It will be much easier and simpler for you to listen to the television and talk over the phone.
- You will be able to listen to music better.
- You may also be able to pick up various sounds around you that include soft, medium, and loud sounds.
- You will be able to control your own voice better. This makes other people understand you better.
If you are suffering from severe hearing loss, a cochlear implant may be able to change your life for the better. However, the results are not the same for all, and vary among people. It is possible for some people to benefit more from such an implant than others.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Your hearing is one of the most important function your body carries out and sometimes you realize that you are losing your sense of hearing, when it is too late to get it back. There are two main reasons for this. One of the reasons is age and the other is when the inner ear's hair cells break down and do not pick up sound well.
Here are 7 ways to safeguard your hearing:
- Try to avoid loud places: It is not advisable to go to places where you have to shout to be heard, such as in a street, a concert or a construction site.
- Buy low noise rating equipment: The equipments in your house will make sound that you hear the most. Try to avoid these equipments by buying appliances with a low noise rating.
- Wear hearing protection at loud places: However, it is true that it is not always possible to avoid loud noises. This is when you need to get hearing protection. Earplugs and earmuffs are two of the best ways to make sure that even when you are in a loud place, your hearing does not get affected. Earplugs and earmuffs generally reduce sound by 15 to 30 decibels, which may be crucial to make sure that later in your life, you do not lose your hearing.
- Avoid smoke: Smoking raises your chance of hearing loss. Second hand smoke does the same thing. Therefore, try to avoid, both smoking and secondhand smoking.
- Remove earwax properly: Earwax cannot be removed properly using a cotton swab. Instead, you should use an irrigation kit. Remember this as otherwise; the earwax could muffle your hearing.
- Avoid medications which reduce hearing: Certain medications increase hearing loss. Therefore, double check with your doctor to make sure your medicines will not make you lose your hearing.
- Get your hearing tested: Finally, get your hearing tested as identifying the problem early on can help stop worsen the situation. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I have partial hearing loss or humming noise in my left ear. This is sometimes during the common cold I have. This stays on for few days 15-30 and then heals on its own. But since it is irritating, can I get rid of this through some medication?
My father is 60 year old, and from last 15 days he is feeling like detour while waking up in morning. Checked hemoglobin and BP too, both are normal. What is the reason? He is having hearing problem form last some months. Had consult with doctor also, and in that audiometry test they found 40% problem is there.
I want to know hearing song in headphone in low volume for 2 to 3 hr. continually is effective for hearing very much.
My son is hearing impaired and cannot hear upto 120 decibels, further he is having Lipoma glands all over his body, is there any remedy for his cure, he can speak but cannot listen.
Cotton swabs or cotton buds, are commonly used in our daily lifestyle. Many people use it for various purposes, such as make-up, bacterial culture, and most commonly for extracting wax and debris from the ear. Even though they are sometimes handy in our busy schedule, they usually cause much more harm than benefits.
How are they misused?
Cotton buds are toothpick like pieces made of wood, plastic, or rolled paper, which have cotton stuck at both ends with a roundish edge. It came into existence during the 1920s for a safe purpose of ear cleaning by Leo Gerstenzang, when he saw his wife cleaning their baby’s ear with a toothpick. They are until now used by the general population for ear cleaning, but these hardly remove the outer debris which are stuck near the outer edges. Impressing it inside the ear canal only does further damage, by forcing the inner wax further inside Sometimes extensive force also causes damage to the ear drums.
How does it cause the damage?
Applying a tool like the cotton bud inside the ear with hands usually creates a force that impresses upon the eardrum, also accumulating the surrounding earwax to that area, resulting in impaction of the wax. The force applied most often, if not always, causes a damage to the ear drums, which might cause severe pain, also leading to leakage, causing improper balance, deafness, and certain similar abnormalities.
Although we are worried about cleaning our ears, it doesn’t really require our notice, since our usual showers allow an adequate quantity of water to enter the ears and clean the accumulated debris automatically. The structure, in which our ear canal is designed, is usually naturally assisting in cleaning up the unusual wax around the ear.
If there is an uncontrollable build up of earwax that is not cleaned off normally, you can always consult an ENT or any general physician and get it cleaned under medical surveillance, which is best advised.
Doctors and medical practitioners all around the world have been trying to spread the message of preventing the use of cotton buds for ear cleaning. It is important that the message reach the greater part of the population. Spread it to your family, your closest friends, their friends, and as further, you can reach!
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!