Lybrate.com has top trusted Rheumatologists from across India. You will find Rheumatologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Rheumatologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Muneer Ul HaqYour feedback matters!
I am 18 years old I had knee pain for one month and then I use some ointments and medicines and then it has been cured so who have knee pains or bone pains they eat the calcium vegetables.
Most of us may not be aware, but the knee is the largest joint in the human body and contributes the maximum to a person’s physical movement from one place to another. The knees play a significant role in a variety of movements including squatting, supporting the weight, running, kneeling, sitting, etc.
Whether it is a severe accident, osteoarthritis that set in with age, or other reasons, the result could be stiff, painful knees. The first line of treatment would be exercise, physiotherapy, and medications. However, if these do not work, then surgical treatment is the choice. Though usually it is reserved for people over the age of 50, there could be exceptions.
Given the number of functions it is involved in, when a serious procedure like knee replacement is being considered, the pain that the person would go through and the recovery time are two important parameters to address. It is best that the patient has a detailed discussion with the doctor and gets all doubts clarified. This will help both the patient and the doctor have realistic and practical expectations about what to expect after the surgery.
So, when pain and stiffness make knee replacement inevitable, prepare for it. The following sequence outlines what happens right from surgery to recovery.
Under general anesthesia, the damaged portion of the knee is removed, and a prosthesis (metal or plastic) is used to replace the removed portion.
Hospital stay can range from 3 to 5 days.
In about a month, the patient will have remarkable recovery, with almost no pain.
Though not advisable, most patients would be able to stand and do basic movement on the day of surgery.
Begin walking with the support of parallel bars and continue using cane/walker/crutches for the first few days to avoid overload on the knees.
With proper support, walking is possible in 3 to 5 days. Continue using a cane for the next few weeks to strengthen the knee.
Schedule a postoperative visit in the 4th to 6th week after surgery.
Draw up an exercise routine with your physiotherapist.
Ice pack can be applied to control swelling.
Driving should be possible, once you are off pain medications, as these can make you drowsy.
Blood clot in the surgical site causing a bruise will disappear in a couple of weeks.
Knee replacement is almost magical as in the long run (10 years postoperatively), there is a good 98% chances of success.
Having said this, it is important to remember each person responds differently to the procedure and therefore treatment/rehabilitation is completely personalized. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an orthopedist.
My left knee is paining last night ant this is not damaged. How can I remove the pain and feel relief. So please help to do this.
I am 54 years old and suffering from gb cancer and taking xeloda. There is severe stomach pain. Pet-ct did not revel any thing. Advice medicine for pain relief.
I am suffering from Rheumatoid Factor (RF) from several years. I have constantly consulting doctors like a specialist in command hospital and many more doctors but my disease is not resolved yet. So please advise me something.
I have a lot of knee pain. How could I get relief from it .I can't lift heavy things or cannot do many work because of the knee pain and arm pain. How I get relief from thyroid easily at home?
I have Knee Osteoarthritis and have been doing physiotherapy exercises and am also on pain relief medication when I get pain. I walk daily about a kilometer in about 16- 18 minutes in both morning and evening. I have been advised to undergo for total knee replacement surgery which I am prolonging by physiotherapy and pain relief medication since last two years. I was, diagnosed of OA about six years earlier. I would like to know if there is a cure for OA without operation. My age is 73, male with 70 kg weight and 5 ft 8" height. As per my frame I should weigh about 65- 70 kg. Apart form OA I do not have any disease like High BP or Diabetes etc. I am assuming that the advice is free and non binding to me.
My mother has been suffering from knee pain for so many years. What precautions should she follow to get rid of pain?
Doctor I had gap of 4 to 5 years in exercise. From last 15 days I again started regular exercise n meditation. While doing sit ups there is noise from my knees n ankle. please let me know the reasons and what care shall I take so that it stops. Sometimes from bones while doing movement.
I am suffering from psoriatic ARTHRITIS and have swollen and painful left knee. I try to exercise but it's very difficult, so could you Doctors please suggest a medicine for preventing the pain at least and natural remedy too. Asap?
My wife is 57 years suffering from insomnia since quite long. Earlier she was taking Zolfresh - 5 mg and now taking Ativan 1 mg with doctor's advice. She takes it at 8.00 pm and get sleep at 10.30-11.00 pm. But she does not get sleep well. Pls. Advice.
Inflammation and resultant pain in the joints are usually the basic tenets of Arthritis. This joint disorder can be painful and often, a debilitating one. It can also make the joints stiff. There are many ways of dealing with this problem, but with Ayurveda, one can get to the root cause of the ailment and its presence. This helps in taking a well rounded holistic approach towards treating it with ancient know how that revolves around herbs and other natural substances which have great medicinal value, lifestyle changes, diet, exercise and Yoga, oil massages, and other methods. Arthritis is known as Sandhivata in Ayurvedic jargon.
Read on to find out how Ayurveda can help in dealing with Arthritis.
- Herbs: One can make use of various herbs that contain Linoleic Acid to help in providing lubrication to the joints so as to prevent pain and stiffness. These herbs include Borage seed oil which is extracted from Borage seed, Evening Primrose oil, Blackcurrant seed oil, Capsaicin, Curcumin, Feverfew, Flaxseed oil and a standard Ayurvedic concoction that combines Ashwagandha, Gugulla, ginger, cumin and haldi or turmeric. These substances can help in treating the joints that are suffering from the pain of Arthritis.
- Diet: In Ayurveda, to treat ailments like Arthritis, it is usually recommended that a patient should start by flushing out the body toxins from within. Diet is one of the ways in which this can be done. A detoxification diet to clean the colon would be one of the foremost ways of doing a cleanse. Further, in one's daily diet, there should be a good dose of vegetables, fruits and other juices. Also, one must have plenty of herbs and spices, which can be used to season the food. Curd should generally be avoided and garlic should be used liberally. The various properties that help in an inside out cleanse that will help the system function in a better manner so that the treatment of ailments is also effectively supported.
- Exercise: In Ayurveda, a certain amount of daily exercise, which spans at least 45 minutes to one hour, is a must. A pattern of healthy eating, restful sleep and exercise is what usually helps in treating ailments like Arthritis. For this ailment specifically, light exercise like walking is recommended. Various Yoga asanas that involve sitting, standing, balancing and lying down poses as well as restful poses will also help in treating knee, shoulder and lower back pain specifically. Also, mustard oil massages can help in reducing the pain.
These are the few ways in which Ayurveda can help Arthritis patients live a more normal life with minimal pain
I am 32 Years Old ,I met with an accident and during playing time again my ligament have some problem and I can't run with that. Is it necessary to go for surgery or it will automatically. I had done MRI and In MRI its show that following point -Complete mid substance rupture of ACL with laxity notd Mild joint effusion noted Posterior part of the lateral tibial condyle mild bone contusion and subchondral edema noted Kindly suggest for that, Is it necessary to surgery.
I am 63 years of age, I have developed pain in both my knees, the right knee has a kind of inflammation above knee towards the outer side-which appears as an accumulation of the muscles and hamper the walking; the radiological tests indicate this to be a case of osteo arthritis, I am keen to know about the treatment etc. To be pursued.
My mother needs a knee replacement asap.She's not able to walk more than 5 min we consulted from everywhere we could possilbe like aims,paras,and from many more seniors doctors.What is the charges for operation nd after dis serious operation it would be success for how many years? kindly let me know.Thanks.Regards!
I am 31 year old. I am having knee pain in both leg. When I sit on ground its very difficult to getup soon.
Hi I am 18yrs old female I have rheumatoid arthritis from past 4 months. I have lot of joint pains and inspite of taking my pain killers daily there is no sort of difference in me. Could you please suggest me some remedies ?
My wife is suffering from knee pain for last two days, her age is 43 years and last period date 31.12.14. Pl. Help me what is reason or is there any medicine for regular periods and Hemoglobin nearly 9.5
The knee is the largest joint of the body and is made up of upper and lower bones that are separated by two discs known as menisci. While minor knee pain may be experienced by many people, it should be handled with medical intervention when it becomes a serious and debilitating problem. Sudden injury or injury due to overuse as well as myriad conditions that affect the joints and muscles can bring about knee pain. Underlying conditions like osteoporosis or arthritis, which affect the bones and joints, can also cause knee pain. The symptoms include painful swelling and stiffness as well as severe discomfort.
Let us learn more about the causes of knee pain and the ways in which it can be managed:
- Injury: Exercise and sports injuries are one of the most common causes that can be the start of acute knee pain, as well as chronic condition. These kinds of injuries can affect the ligaments and cartilage which leads to severe pain. The pain can even affect the way one functions in one's daily life. Knee ligament injuries can also cause this kind of pain. These ligaments are bands of tissues that connect the thigh bone with the lower leg bones. Sprains and tears in the ACL or PCL are common in sports injuries, and may even require surgery in many cases. Knee Cartilage Tears can also take place in the hard yet flexible cartilage of the knee which can affect the meniscus around the knee. This condition may also require surgery.
- Arthritis: This condition can affect the knees specifically and is one of the most common types of arthritis. This is a chronic condition which gets progressively worse over time and may even require surgery. Stiffness and inflammation are common symptoms. Rheumatoid arthritis is also a degenerative auto-immune disease that can affect the knees and cause knee pain. Furthermore, post traumatic arthritis can also be experienced after an injury. Osteoarthritis is another common condition that leads to knee pain. It basically occurs due to wear and tear of the knees over a prolonged period and is usually experienced by patients over the age of 50.
- Managing Knee Pain: While pain medication and anti-inflammatory drugs may be prescribed for most cases, along with the surgery in long run, it is also possible to manage knee pain with the help of better lifestyle choices like regular knee and muscle strengthening exercises as well as REST - rest, ice, compression and elevation. These methods can help in relieving inflammation and pain. But very severe cases will require medical intervention, so it is imperative to get in touch with your doctor if the condition does not improve. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.