Lybrate.com has top trusted Oncologists from across India. You will find Oncologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Monica Malik IrukullaYour feedback matters!
Is lungs cancer and blood cancer communicable? Are they transform when food and water is shared with cancerous patient.
Diagnosed with stomach cancer , need to know whether it is treatable or not , how can we know & what are the examinations we should perform.
I have three fully impacted wisdom teeth. But they are not infected. From last 6 months I have jaw, throat, ear, tongue & tooth pains. Meanwhile I suffered from throat infection which was due to Enterobacter clocae. I have also reactive lymphnodes in neck. Can impacted wisdom teeth cause all such symptoms?
1. Prevents cancer: as a magnificent source of vitamin c and different cell reinforcements, tomatoes can battle the development of abnormal cells that causes cancer. Lycopene has been connected with prostate tumour prevention. Epidemiologists recommend the consumption of tomato as it helps lower the possibility of prostate cancer. High fibre content of beta-carotene in fruits and vegetables has been proven to bring down the risk of colorectal cancer to a great extent.
2. Blood pressure: low sodium consumption keeps circulatory strain solid. Tomatoes are rich in potassium that helps in the same.
3. Heart's well-being: the fibre, potassium, vitamin c and choline content in tomatoes all bolster the heart's well-being. An expansion in potassium as well as a reduction in sodium is the most essential dietary change that an individual can make to lessen their danger of cardiovascular diseases. Tomatoes additionally contain folic corrosive, which keeps the homocysteine levels under control. It reduces the risk of heart diseases.
4. Diabetes: tomatoes help bring down the blood sugar level in people with type1 diabetes. Whereas, people with type 2 diabetes may have enhanced glucose, lipids and insulin levels. One measure of cherry tomatoes gives around 2 grams of fibre and helps them keep their levels neutralized.
5. Constipation: eating foods that are high in water substance and fibre like tomatoes can help with hydration and advance normal solid discharges. Fibre adds mass to stool and is important for bowel movement.
6. Eye health: tomatoes are a rich sources of lycopene, lutein and beta-carotene, which are intense cancer prevention agents. They have been helpful in protecting the eyes against harm related to the advancement of age-related macular degeneration.
7. Skin: collagen, a fundamental part of the skin, hair, nails and connective tissue, is dependent on vitamin c. An inadequacy of vitamin c leads to certain skin problems. As vitamin c is a capable cancer prevention agent, a low intake can affect the skin and cause harm from uv rays, infections and smoke. This usually results in wrinkles, hanging skin, blemishes and other antagonistic skin diseases.
8. Pregnancy: a good amount of folic acid needs to be present before and during pregnancy to ensure the infants good health inside the mother's womb. This can be found in tomatoes.
I am suffering from Hodgkin lymphoma from last 1year. I want to ask what are the causes of this and how can we leave from this and what types of food I need to eat and in how much time take to healthy me?
Sir I have a tumour on my right breast. It does not pain and tumour is medium size since 5 months. Does it leads to cancer?
I have a question about my Prostate problem, as per Doctor's reply the PSA is high but our surgeons say that PSA keeps going high/low, up and down, the urine flow stream is normal but at times, it is dribling, please advice the cause and what is the remedy, I am now 73 years old person. Thanks.
Radiation therapy is used for destroying the brain tumor cells, and relieves the symptoms of discomfort and pain caused by the tumor. Radiation is usually used after biopsy or resection of the tumor. This is done to destroy the microscopic cells of the tumor which have been left behind. Sometimes this is also an option for unresectable brain tumors or the metastatic tumors which spread to the brain from other parts of the body.
The radiation therapy is planned on several factors like the size and type of the tumor and the extent to which it has spread. Usually external beam radiation is used for the brain cancer and the area radiated involves the tumor and the surrounding area. In case of a metastatic brain cancer the radiation is given to the entire brain. People who have lung cancer receive radiation in the brain as a preventive therapy in order to stop the metastatic cancer from developing.
Side effects of brain cancer radiation
Depending on the site, dose, and other factors the radiation therapy when given to the brain might cause side effects. Hair loss, fatigue, edema, skin irritations are a few common side effects of brain tumor radiation. In some cases some people might develop swelling of the ankle, foot, calf and blood clots in the leg.
What is radiation therapy?
Radiation therapy is basically the use of targeted energy like X-ray and radioactive substances to kill the cancer cells, or shrink them or change the symptoms related to cancer. This therapy might be used as:
- Primary treatment for the destruction of the cancer cells
- In combination with other ongoing treatments to inhibit the growth of the cancer cells
- Prior to another treatment to shrink the cancer cells
- Post some treatment to stop the growth of any cancer cells that have been left behind
- To relieve cancer symptoms
Types of radiation
Some of the radiation methods commonly used are:
- External beam radiation therapy: In this the radiation is directed from outside the body on the cancerous cells in the body. Some examples of this are IMRT, TomoTherapy, stereotactic radiosurgery, 3D conformal radiation therapy and IGRT.
- Internal radiation therapy: In this the radioactive substance is placed close to the tumor with the help of a catheter or some carrier. Examples of this are high-dose rate brachytherapy.
- Systemic radiation therapy: In this a radioactive substance is injected or swallowed, which further locates and destroys the cancerous cells. Example of this is radioactive iodine therapy.
- Managing radiation side effects: Radiation therapy in some cases can cause unpleasant side effects like fatigue and nausea. Thus it should be kept in mind that maximum radiation doses should be given with less or little impact on the healthy tissues. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Oncologist.