Submit a review for 2ND Life Wellness ClinicsYour feedback matters!
Knee replacement is a procedure where the weight-carrying surfaces of knee joint are replaced surgically to ease the pain or any disability. People suffering from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or psoriatic arthritis undergo knee replacement. All these conditions revolve around stiffness and painful knee. This surgery is usually performed on people aged over 50.
Knee replacement is mainly of two main types:
- Total knee replacement where both the sides of knee joints are replaced
- Partial knee replacement where only single side of the joint is replaced
In case of partial knee replacement with minimal invasion, a smaller incision, which is 3 to 5 inches, is required. This leads to minimal tissue damage, and the surgeon can work between the fibres of the quadriceps muscles. Here, an incision through the tendon is not required. This may result in less pain, recovery time is reduced, and motion is better as scar tissue formation is less.
In total knee replacement, four steps are performed:
- Removal of damaged cartilage surfaces, which is at the ends of the femur and tibia, with a small quantity of underlying bone.
- Replacement with metal components, which help as a recreated surface of the joint
- Incision of knee cap with a resurface made of a plastic button, which is optional based on the case
- Insertion of a medical-grade plastic spacer amid the metal components. This creates an effortless gliding surface.
After general or spinal anaesthesia, an incision of 8-12inches is made in the front part of the knee. Joint part which is damaged is removed from the surface of the bones. The surfaces are then formed in a way to hold a metal or plastic artificial joint. The thigh bone shin as well as knee cap is attached to the artificial joint with either cement or a special material.
After Effects of the Procedure-
After the surgery, patients may stay in a hospital for three to five days. Post surgery, notable improvement can be seen after a month or later. The patient is gradually relieved from pain with the construction of new gliding surface during surgery.
There will be slow progress in the movement. In the beginning, one may walk with a support of parallel bars and then with the help of crutches, walker, or cane. After full recovery in about six weeks, people can enjoy normal activities except running or jumping.
Presently, over 90% of total knee replacements function well even after 15 years of surgery. Hence, knee problem is no problem at all!
When you say weight loss, the first thing that comes to mind is the need to starve oneself and skip eating. This thought is very scary for people who are used to 4 regular meals a day. But, now you can feel good, because it is not just scary, it is false too. The idea is to eat healthy and low-calorie foods and not to stop eating completely.
You should also learn to trick your body, eat something filling that will control and delay your hunger pangs. Your stomach is busy, but not digesting anything that adds a lot of calories into your system. Sounds great, isn't it? Try these low-fat, filling foods and see how different your body reacts.
- Eggs: They are not just filled with protein, but provide all the essential amino acids for your system. These amino acids have the ability to suppress hunger, and it will be quite some time before you start feeling hungry. Scrambled or hard-boiled or in any form you like, pick an egg if you have a choice and see the difference.
- Oatmeal: Breakfast is considered as the most important meal of the day and try to make it as wholesome as possible. Oats, loaded with fiber, fills your stomach and prolongs your hunger pangs. They are not just low on calories, but help control your body mass index (BMI) as well. Oats can be cooked in different ways, and by adding fruit or vegetables you can make it more wholesome. Oats helps in controlling cravings and oats in form of salads is a very healthy option.
- Apples: With about 75 calories in each average-sized fruit, apple is packed with nutrients and accelerates weight loss. The ursolic acid present in apples improves fat burning and promotes leaner muscle mass. Best eaten raw, you can also add it to oats or have a smoothie.
- Beans: Packed with water, fiber, and protein, beans in any form will keep you full and is a great addition to your diet. Either as a soup, baked, or cooked in your preferred way, beans will help you eat less and lose more weight.
- Nuts: While nuts are usually considered off radar for people who are watching their weight, it is not true. Whether almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, or pistachios, nuts contain unsaturated fats and are packed with fibers. They are packed with calories, but you will feel full for a long time before you are hungry again, and that helps. A glass of water along with the nuts will prolong the digestion and keep your hunger pangs away for more hours.
If you are planning to lose some weight, eating these types of foods will definitely help you.
Sir, mere dono knee me dard aur sujan rahta hai. Maine ra factor, uric acid and vitamin d test liye ye sare normal aa rahe hai. Sir main kya karu please help me.
Mere body thik hai lekin face itne patla hai sabhi log Bolte Tu khata nehi hai Kiya itne patala kyui hai. Sir what's my problems. Mujhe phulka sa cheeks Chahiye please help me.
Recently I have noticed I feel pain in my knees while sleeping as well as sitting at work place also I feel I am suffering from tennis elbow some people have suggested me also (jawas) will be very helpful pls advise whom I can visit.
I am having lumbar & cervical spondylosis L4_L5 & C5_C6 disk budge. Gabapentin 100 mg, rivotril .5 mg, Neurobiology forte are prescribed by doctor. When we can go for lumbar operation?
I am 22 year I want to increase my height and weight. Now I am 45 weight and l55 cm height any chances to increase.
I want to increase muscles and strength. I'm too underweight right now. 19 year, 5'6" height old and weight is around 40 kgs. So I decided to take whey protein. Shall I take it? Is it safe?
I eat food daily in time but I can not gain weight. I tried so many videos on YouTube but it is simply waste of time. I hope yours suggestions will be the best.
I am suffering from RA. I have pain in my right knee. My current CRP level is 20.93. What should I eat and what should I not. Which activities I can do and what I cannot.
I was born prematurely for 7 months and also hadn't been put in an incubator. I am not able to increase my weight. Being lean is very disgusting. I need to know whether I can increase my muscle mass. According to the health chart I should be around 70-75 in weight. But now I am just 55. in addition I have both smoking n drinking habits since 4 years. I am 21 now. If you could please help me I would be very thankful.
I am 17 year old boy I do gym daily. Will ashwagandha and shilajit capsule help me in muscle building or body building? If they will be helpful then what should be the dosage of them? Should I take both of them at once?
I have very low stamina. Next week I have sports day. I get tired even after covering very less distance. Please give me some tips to increase my stamina.
I am 22 year old. I faint if I stand for long time, especially early morning. Can I eat more salt per day or should I have more sugar? Which one should I eat more?
Hello doctor I wanna know some suggestions to increase my strength .I have bought a bike bt I can't handle it .to do back to go uparside Nd move here and there without a start I can not do dat .not even I can do full stand .my weight is 43 I know it's very less bt there r some girls and boy who have lesser weight than mine bt they do all things .even my legs r also weak it's core strength is nil typ so please suggest to increase strength please it's highly needed.
Which whey protien is better And I have stone so can I use Whey protien Any side effect of Whey protien Suggest me.
Is water fasting beneficial for sex? How long one should fast and what foods should be eaten for breaking the fast?
Festive season is a time of fun, beauty and indulgence. There is always an excitement when Diwali is around the corner. It is all about fun, mingling with your family and friends, and eating sweets and snacks. But during this mood of elation and celebration, one forgets that what goes inside also shows up externally. There are the endless parties for which you would dress up and style. So there will be the blow drying, ironing, styling, make-up, late nights, and to top it all, the alcohol and cigarettes. This, coupled with the excess smoke and pollution affects the skin and hair to a large extent.
Here are few tips on how can you keep your skin glowing and hair healthy during the festive season. To start with, let me explain what damages your skin and hair and how.
- Sugar – Sugar suppresses the activity of our white blood cells and thus makes us more susceptible to infections. It also worsens allergies and causes damage because of the breaking down of good proteins, leading to the formation of Advanced Glycation End-products (AGE). AGE makes the proteins in the collagen and hair stiff and hard; thus speeding up the process of skin ageing and making the hair brittle. One of the main reasons for wrinkles, deep lines, and sagging skin is AGE. So gorging high sugar foods during festivals can lead to fine lines and excessive dryness. So please be mindful of what you are eating during this time.
- Smoke – Smoke and pollution damage hair and skin. It makes the skin dry and scalp irritated or even itchy. Too much exposure can lead to boils/ folliculitis, skin rash, and acne exacerbation. To prevent this, you should wash your hair and body thoroughly the day after the festival to counteract the damage caused by smoke and ash.
- Excessive make-up and styling – You need to dress up and look pretty on festival days. This means excessive make-up and hair styling products, blow drying, and ironing. Not all this is harmful, but what worsens the situation is when you ignore or forget to remove them all off after the party is over. Always remember to follow your night-time skincare regime and cleanse your hair of all the styling products.
- Alcohol and cigarettes – These worsen the condition of your hair and skin. Alcohol makes the skin flushed and dehydrated with broken capillaries. And cigarettes compromise the blood supply to your skin. So cut down on cigarettes and alcohol as much as possible.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Be on a healthy diet always, especially a month before the festivals start.
- Avoid too many sweets.
- Drink plenty of fluids like water, coconut water, and buttermilk.
- Try to cut down on your alcohol intake and cigarettes.
- Apply an anti-oxidant cream which contains vitamin A, C, E or Q10 during the day, underneath your sunscreen.
- Remove every trace of make-up and apply a good nourishing night cream.
- Start oiling your hair with light oils like the ones which are coconut-based.
- Do not use mousse on hair. If you do, then wash it off at night or the next morning.
- Blow drying with low heat is better than ironing. Ironing can lead to hair breakage.
- Avoid harsh surface chemical treatments during the Diwali month – be it for skin or hair.
- Include some cardio exercises in your daily routine.
So, follow these simple steps to look gorgeous and feel gorgeous during this festive season!