Doctors in Rockland Hospital
Knee Pain Treatment
Treatment of Hypertension
Treatment of Heart Attack
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Syncope
Treatment of Heart Diseases
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Balloon Angioplasty Procedure
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Irregular Heartbeat
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Hole in the Heart
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Treatment of Heart Specialist
Treatment of Paralysis
Treatment of Angina
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Submit a review for Rockland HospitalYour feedback matters!
Open heart surgery is a complicated heart procedure. Howeevr, it is still an important surgical procedure to fix critical heart ailments.
- The Coronary Artery Bypass Graft or CABG is one of the frequently performed procedures in the open-heart surgery space. This is a procedure that is related to fixing the blocked arteries of the heart. A study conducted by the National Institutes of Health revealed that most patients who had undergone CABG become angina-free within a span of five years.
- Many hospitals refuse to share any data related to the surgery. It makes sense to run a background check on the surgeon who is scheduled to perform the procedure. Society of Thoracic Surgery lists all doctors and the number of procedures they have performed in this space.
- This is one of the few surgeries where a doctor needs to make a deep incision close to 2-2.5 inch through the breastbone to separate muscle and get access to the heart.
- The recent trend is that the doctor can achieve the same result with beating heart CABG where heart does not need to be stopped just to avoid the complications of heart lung machine Once the procedure is over, the doctor closes the incision made through the breastbone with sternal wires. Subsequently, the patient is taken off from the heart-lung machine.
- The patient might find himself tangled with many tubes as he wakes for the first time after the surgery. These wires take the fluid out of the body. They serve as a temporary pacemaker for the patient.
- It is important to get a clarification from the surgeon as to from which location of the body would the veins be taken from to perform CABG. Most doctors prefer the vein from the leg.
- The patient is kept in an ICU for a couple of days before he is shifted to the general ward where he spends close to a couple of weeks before he is released. After the patient gets home, the typical recovery time for the patient is approximately 6-8 weeks.
- One has to usually deal with heightened emotions after an open-heart surgery.
Lower back pain is a very common issue and can take place due to numerous reasons. However, one of its main causes is a ligament strain or back muscle strain. Microscopic tear or excessive stretching of ligaments can take place due to lifting very heavy objects, doing enormously strenuous task or due to a sudden twisted movement.
These conditions are most likely to be experienced by individuals ranging between the ages of 30 and 60. Other causes of lower back pain include back injury, arthritis of back bone joints, infections in the lower back area, and in very rare cases, tumours.
In case of acute back pain, these are a few important things that should be definitely kept in mind.
- It is absolutely essential to take rest for a couple of days and avoid any sort of stressful activity. Although back pain is self-limiting, if you take proper care, it can be cured in a few days. However, if proper rest is not taken, the situation may become worse.
- Using the black belt, also known as lumbo sacral corset, is a good idea. This can actually be of enormous help to individuals who have been suffering from lower back pain for a long period of time.
- As already mentioned, one of the main causes of these kinds of mishaps are sudden jerky movements, twisted movements, heavy weight lifting etc. So, it is necessary to avoid such circumstances, or else, a more acute back pain situation may arise due to slipping of one of the discs from the spinal cord.
- As much as you like long drives and bike rides, these are a strict no. Any prolonged sitting or standing activity needs to be avoided. It is important that the tear caused in the muscles due to what-so-ever reason heals properly and prolonged stay in a tensed muscle position would definitely not help the cause.
- Although these back pains can be handled at home by following the discussed steps, using simple analgesics or muscle relaxants prescribed by the doctor can be a way to speed up the process of recovering the strained ligament.
Apart from these important steps, regular exercise to strengthen the core body muscles is a great way to avoid such ligament strains in the future. However, if you feel that even after following the precautionary measures, you problem doesn’t subside, consult an experienced doctor for his advice.
Gout is a disease of the joints. It is a kind of arthritis, which is caused by the deposition of uric acid in the joints. The deposited uric acid causes inflammation of the joints. The disease occurs when our body fails to eliminate the excess uric acid in blood by excretion or the production of the acid is increased.
The level of uric acid in our bodies goes up when the amount of purines in our meals is increased. Purines are responsible for the production of uric acid. They are found in meats, alcohol, sea food and other food items. When digestion of these foods takes place inside the body, purine is released into the blood stream. Uric acid level is also increased by a sedentary lifestyle. Sometimes other factors like intake of insufficient water, consumption of medicines and obesity can also affect the uric acid level in the blood.
Symptoms of Gout
One will notice a redness and swelling around the affected joint. Gout commonly affects the big toe, ankles, hands and wrists. The patient has to deal with intense shooting pain in the joint. The patient also feels some itching in the affected region. Some patients develop nodules called tophi in the joints.
Homeopathy Treatment for Gout
In most cases, patients seeking allopathic treatment for gout take frequent pain killers to get rid of the pain. The pain killers will provide temporary relief. But the main problem persists. However, homeopathy treats the root cause of the problem and aims at eradicating the disease completely. In this article, three commonly used homeopathic medicines used for treating gout have been listed. However, these medicines may not suit all individuals with gout. The effectiveness of the medicines largely depends on the patient’s lifestyle. These medicines are listed below:
Colchicum: It is the primary medicine given to patients suffering from gout. It is good for the treatment of the chronic cases. It is given to patients who suffer from pain in the big toe. The pain is unbearable, when the affected area is touched. The region turns hot, red and swollen. In these patients, the pain starts from the left side usually. The patient feels feverish. Their problem will intensify in warm weather. Their joints get stiffer.
Ledum Pal: It is for patients who suffer from gout pain travelling upwards. The pain is likely to start from the patient’s feet and travel towards the knees. The patient will not be able to bear external warmth. The patient feels better with cold application.
Benzoic Acid: This medicine is for patients who suffer from gout along with offensive urine. The odour of the urine is intolerable. The colour of the urine is unusual—brown in colour sometimes. There is a cracking sound in the joints.
Homoeopathic medicines can be a big boon for all those who suffer from high uric acid. These medicines work by reducing the uric acids overproduction by the body and accelerating the removal of this waste product from through the kidneys.
Homoeopathy is known to control the uric acid diathesis and is also useful in acute attacks. Homeopathy helps in controlling the pain during the acute attack of gout as well as helps in preventing the recurrence of such episodes. It helps in reducing stiffness and improves the mobility of the joints.
One big advantage that homoeopathy offers in the treatment of high uric acid is that once treated the chances of relapse are very less, this is also subjected to the condition that diet and Alcohol and weight are well controlled.
With continued treatment from a specialised homeopath, the patient notices reduction in the frequency of attacks and intensity of pains with gradually leading to complete cure.
Osteoarthritis is a common disorder that affects the joints in the body. It is characterized by wear and tear of the cartilage present in the bones which lead to pain and mobility issues. The disorder mostly affects the joints in the hips, spine, knees and the hands. This disorder can’t be cured; the symptoms, however, can be managed.
The symptoms of osteoarthritis are progressive in nature and tend to worsen with time. You will experience pain in the affected joint, leading to limited mobility. Joint stiffness occurs when you wake up in the morning or when you have been inactive for a long period. You will also experience a grating-like sensation when the respective joint is being used.
This condition occurs when the protective cartilage around the bones tend to deteriorate. The function of the cartilage is to allow the joints to move without friction. In this disorder, the surface of the affected cartilage turns rough, ultimately resulting in complete damage. This leads to loss of the protective cushion of the bone, making the bone rub on other bones. There are certain factors that make you prone to osteoarthritis, some of them are:
Aging increases the risks of this disorder.
Women are more prone to this disorder as compared to men.
It might be hereditary as well.
Ayurveda is a holistic system of medicine that balances the different energies in the body to keep you healthy. Ayurveda believes in the fact that a disorder in the body occurs when there is an imbalance in the respective doshas – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. The idea is to get the doshas in order in order to get relief from the symptoms of this disorder. Osteoarthritis, or for that matter any disorder occurs due to the imbalance of the ‘Vata dosha’. The Ayurvedic treatments for this condition is Pachkarma therapy.
Panchakarma is the elimination of doshas from the body. It is one of the peculiarities of Ayurveda. Since according to Ayurveda, disease is the result of imbalance of doshas, when the increase of dosha is in a large quantity the best way to get cured faster is expelling the doshas out. These procedures (Karmas) are five (Pancha) and hence they are described as Panchakarma i.e. five procedures. These are to be performed not only by the patient for getting them cured but even by healthy persons for maintaining the health.
- Vamana: This is the elimination of doshas by the process of emesis. This is particularly useful for diseases arising from kapha and also from pitta. Diseases like chr. bronchitis, asthma, skin diseases, allergies, herpes, diabetes, sinusitis, osteoarthritis, hyperacidity are best dealt with this procedure. The best season for doing this procedure is ‘ Spring’ or even ‘Autumn’.
- Virechana: In this procedure, loose motions are produced to eliminate the doshas. This is very useful in diseases caused by pitta dosha e.g. Hyperacidity, herpes, gulma (Type of tumor) jaundice, osteoarthritis, anemia, skin diseases etc. The best season for this procedure is ‘autumn’.
- Basti: The procedure is important for the Vata dosha mainly, but can be used for Kapha and pitta and for all sorts of diseases also. In this procedure enema with herbal decoction, oil, honey and salt is given. Since it has a direct action over the large intestine, which is the main site of Vata dosha, it acts instantaneously. The procedure is especially useful for all kinds of diseases caused by Vata Dosha e.g. back ache, arthritis, osteoarthritis, dystrophies, multiple scherosis, muscle waisting etc. The best season for this procedure is the rainy season.
Are you experiencing a swollen and painful joint and are looking for an effective way to treat it? You can choose homeopathic treatment, which is considered to be ideal for joint pain and inflammation, as it does not have any side effects. When a joint swells up, gets inflamed, or damaged due to an injury, joint pain is experienced. Aging and several medical conditions such as gout, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, general injuries, and sprains are common causes of joint inflammation and pain. A wide range of homeopathic medicines is used for the management of joint pain and inflammation.
Rhus Tox- This homeopathic medicine is very effective in treating joint pain. Both acute and chronic joint pains are cured by this medicine. It is used when a patient experiences marked stiffness in the joints along with intense pain. The medicine treats all kinds of joint pains, starting from rheumatic reasons to injuries caused due to overexertion. Usually, the joint pain gets better with movement and worsens if you are immobile.
Sanguinaria Can and Ferrum Met- Sanguinaria Can is used for treating joint pains which occur in the shoulder. It is most effective in the case of right-sided shoulder joint pains. The right-sided shoulder of the patient may feel stiff and the pain worsens with any kind of motion. The right shoulder joint pain increases during the night. On the other hand, Ferrum Met is used in the case of left-sided shoulder pain. The patient experiences stiffness and cracking in the left shoulder joint along with great pain. The pain increases if you raise your arm and with any kind of movement.
Bryonia and Ruta- These homeopathic medicines are used for the management of joint pain in the elbows. Bryonia is used when the elbow joint pain increases even without movement. It provides sustained relief. The pain is also accompanied by stiffness and swelling in the elbow joint. Ruta, is an effective homeopathic medicine which is used for elbow joint pain treatment, especially when the pain is located near the condyles. Stretching and raising your arms trigger the pain. This medicine is also used in case of inflamed and sore tendons near the elbow joint, which cause pain.
Other homeopathic medicines such as Actaea Spicata and Rhododendron are used in the case of treating joint pains in the wrist. You should consult a qualified homeopathic practitioner before taking medicines for joint pain.
The results of a study conducted by the Department of Medicine, University of Ulsan, Korea, show that multivessel coronary stenting can be performed with a high success rate along with an acceptable clinical outcome. Coronary stenting has proven itself to be an accepted means for treating of obstructed coronary arteries. The need for multivessel coronary stenting has been inflated because of the larger number of patients with unfavourable cardiac profiles. Conventionally, bypass surgery is regarded as a standard means for relieving angina in cardiac patients with multivessel coronary disease as it could lead to a downright revascularization. Further, it also allows a prolongation of lifespan in a specified subgroup of patients.
How are they performed?
Despite the coming of modern generation of stents, patients with multiple stringent arteries in the heart receiving coronary after bypass have recovered better than those whose arteries were grafted with balloon angioplasty or stenting. This report is presented in the 64th Annual Scientific Session in the American College of Cardiology. This report echoes past studies which shows that patients afflicted with multiple narrowed arteries receive better results with coronary artery bypass grafting, which is also known as CABG or bypass heart surgery. In case of multivessel stenting, which is known as angioplasty or percutaneous coronary intervention or PCI, a stent is put within the arteries to hold it wide open and facilitate the flow of blood.
Which one is better?
In a new study, it is reported that patients with new stents are susceptible to 47% higher risk of any of the outcomes like death or cardiac arrest as compared to patients who undergo bypass surgery. In CABG, a vein or artery from other parts of the body is grafted on the constricted coronary artery for allowing easy blood flow to and from heart. This study reinforces present regulations that recommend CABG to treat patients with substantial constrictions in various arteries, a condition often termed as multivessel coronary artery ailment.
Renowned cardiologist Seung Jung Park from Asan Medical Centre in Seoul, South Korea opines that CABG is still a much preferred option on the basis of their medical data. Another study known as Bypass Surgery Versus Everolimus - Eluting Stent Implantation for Multivessel Coronary Artery Disease or BEST trial deserves mention. It is one of the two randomly controlled trials for comparing bypass to angioplasty since the introduction of modernised stents that emits medication, which would prevent blood clot.
This study was implemented on 880 patients at 27 healthcare centres in four countries. Each patient had multivessel coronary artery disease and were determined to be equally eligible to go through either of the methods. Half of these patients were randomly chosen to be given angioplasty with everolimus-eluting stents, and the other half received bypass surgery.
All the patients were tracked for about five years and during this prolonged follow up, angioplasty was related to a considerable upsurge in the incidence of myocardial infarction, target vessel revascularization and often death. Because, it is a more invasive process, bypass surgery is normally recommended only for patients afflicted with higher-risk constrictions in more than one artery.
If you are one of these patients and this concern plagues you, it is recommended to talk to your cardiologist without much delay.
What is Parkinson’s disease?
Parkinson’s disease is a progressive and degenerative disorder of the Central Nervous System that mostly affects older people. It is a chronic disease and the symptoms develop over a period of time. The characteristic symptoms of Parkinson’s are rigidity, shaking, bradykinesia (slowness in movement) and shuffled gait. Anxiety and depression also seem to be common in advanced stages of Parkinson’s disease. In addition to the motor symptoms, the cognitive function of the brain is also compromised.
Degeneration of the nerve cells in the substantia nigra of the brain results in the reduction in production of dopamine which is a neurotransmitter in the brain. Neurotransmitters relay impulses from one nerve to the other. This is what is mainly responsible for the motor symptoms in Parkinson’s. Although, Parkinson’s is not a curable disease, it can be controlled and the progress of the disease can be kept in check with certain medications.
What causes Parkinson’s disease?
The cause of Parkinson’s is mostly idiopathic, i.e. the cause is unknown and is not specific. However, there have been cases which show that it can be attributed to factors such as genetic and environmental factors.
What are the symptoms of Parkinson’s?
The symptoms of Parkinson’s can be classified as Motor symptoms and Non-motor symptoms:
- Bradykinesia: Slow movement
- Tremor of limbs
- Rigidity or stiffness of trunk and limbs
- Impaired balance and difficulty in coordination or postural instability
- Anxiety and fear
- Loss of energy and fatigue
- Excessive salivation
- Weight gain or weight loss
- Cognitive problems such as difficulty in remembering, confusion, dementia
Parkinson’s disease is not curable, but when detected early, medicines are prescribed to give symptomatic relief. Dopamine substitutes are prescribed to the patient to relieve the motor symptoms.
Headache is the discomfort or pain beneath the scalp, forehead, or behind the eyes, or arising from the head or upper neck of the body. There are several distinct types of headache. A primary headache is caused by pain or a disorder that originates from the head itself. For example, a migraine or tension headache. A secondary headache originates outside the head, such as a headache related to nausea from the flu, or as a side-effect of hormonal fluctuations in the body. Other types of headache include cranial neuralgias, facial pain, and other headaches.
One needs to know the symptoms of Migraine in order to identify between Migraine and other headaches. A unique aspect of Migraine headaches is that such headaches usually occur on one side of the head. Other kinds of headaches mostly occur on both the sides. The other major difference between Migraine and other types of headaches is the presence of associated symptoms in Migraine. In Migraine, the sufferer is likely to have a moderate to severe throbbing pain. One may suffer from:
Pain behind either one eye or one ear
Pain in the temples of head
Experiencing spots or flashes of light
Sensitivity to sound, sound or both
Temporary vision loss
More About Migraine
Doctors divide Migraine headaches in two categories: Migraine with Aura and Migraine without Aura.
The feeling that a person develops before experiencing migraines is known as Aura. The feeling may prevail anywhere between 10 minutes to 30 minutes before the attack.
Such feelings may include:
If not Migraine headache, one may have Sinus headache, Cluster Headache, Thunderclap headache or a Chiari defect. If a person is suffering from Cluster headache, he / she may have a very painful headache which is confined to on one side of the head. Such pains come in clusters and hence the name.
Homeopathy for Migraine and Headache
Modern medicine does not always seem to have a fitting answer for Migraine or any other type of headache. However, Homeopathy can help a lot. For Migraine treatment as well as for treatment of other types of headaches, Homeopathic medicines can be good idea.
Homeopathic Doctors see through the history of Migraine and Headache of the patient, the lifestyle, and other general aspects of life. This helps them make a perfect homeopathic medical course for the patient to treat their constant Migraine or headaches.
Consulting a general Homeopathic Doctor with good experience will help patients to get rid of their Migraine and Headache from its root.
The knee is the largest joint of the body and is made up of upper and lower bones that are separated by two discs known as menisci. While minor knee pain may be experienced by many people, it should be handled with medical intervention when it becomes a serious and debilitating problem.
Sudden injury or injury due to overuse as well as myriad conditions that affect the joints and muscles can bring about knee pain. Underlying conditions like osteoporosis or arthritis, which affect the bones and joints, can also cause knee pain. The symptoms include painful swelling and stiffness as well as severe discomfort.
Let us learn more about the causes of knee pain and the ways in which it can be managed:
- Injury: Exercise and sports injuries are one of the most common causes that can be the start of acute knee pain, as well as chronic condition. These kinds of injuries can affect the ligaments and cartilage which leads to severe pain. The pain can even affect the way one functions in one's daily life. Knee ligament injuries can also cause this kind of pain. These ligaments are bands of tissues that connect the thigh bone with the lower leg bones. Sprains and tears in the ACL or PCL are common in sports injuries, and may even require surgery in many cases. Knee Cartilage Tears can also take place in the hard yet flexible cartilage of the knee which can affect the meniscus around the knee. This condition may also require surgery.
- Arthritis: This condition can affect the knees specifically and is one of the most common types of arthritis. This is a chronic condition which gets progressively worse over time and may even require surgery. Stiffness and inflammation are common symptoms. Rheumatoid arthritis is also a degenerative auto-immune disease that can affect the knees and cause knee pain. Furthermore, post traumatic arthritis can also be experienced after an injury. Osteoarthritis is another common condition that leads to knee pain. It basically occurs due to wear and tear of the knees over a prolonged period and is usually experienced by patients over the age of 50.
- Managing Knee Pain: While pain medication and anti-inflammatory drugs may be prescribed for most cases, along with the surgery in long run, it is also possible to manage knee pain with the help of better lifestyle choices like regular knee and muscle strengthening exercises as well as REST - rest, ice, compression and elevation. These methods can help in relieving inflammation and pain. But very severe cases will require medical intervention, so it is imperative to get in touch with your doctor if the condition does not improve.