Lybrate.com has top trusted Psychologists from across India. You will find Psychologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Gurgaon and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shweta Sharma
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Sex Addiction Counselling
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Submit a review for Dr. Shweta SharmaYour feedback matters!
I am a single. I just had a break-up with my loved one. My girlfriend. We were in deep relationship. We had immense love. But not she got married. I am missing her every fraction of second. I am hungry for love. Just love. I need that care, love. What do I do ? All negative thoughts are coming to my mind. Since I am cultured I cannot afford to do any stupid mistakes. Please help me, and tell me how to get out of it.
When I saw movies or incidents then when I am free or sleeping those scenes came in to my mind I am not able to concentrate on any work.
I am 30 years old mother. Due to some matrimonial problem I am mentally harassed touch. Now mind sometimes goes out of control.
I think I have a weak nervous system .I get excited and depressed easily. For example if someone has done said or done something wrong to me .I start thinking over it to the point my mind gets really heavy and then I am not able to think. When I was young I used to pee in the bed unlike my peers. For which I took shilajit on a local doctor recommendation. Please help me with medicines or anything to come over it.
I have a problem in sex. I am dose not full feel satisfied my wife that she want. I am lost my confidence before the time, so fast. Now a days ill suffer in a have mental disturb.
Teenage is a critical period in a person's life when the body goes through a sea of changes, both physically as well as mentally. For most teenagers, it is a period to explore new terrains. But the teenage period can also be associated with what people dread the most. Teenage depression, stress, and anxiety are on a mercurial rise. The World Health Organization shares a disturbing statistics whereby 1 in every 4 Indian teenagers (between 13-15 years of age) suffers from depression and the associated complications. Heart-wrenching is the fact that in many cases, the depression ends in suicides. Efforts should be made to nip the problem at the earliest.
What causes depression among teenagers?
The teenage depression can stem from the factors below mentioned:
- As you step into adolescence, your body goes through hormonal changes. The mood swings, stress, and depression can be an outcome of the hormonal changes.
- Teenagers subjected to bullying and harassment (schools, society, friends) can also suffer from depression.
- A failed relationship can also act as a trigger driving the person into depression.
- Increased and repeated pressure to excel both academically as well as in extra curricular activities can also take a toll, resulting in depression.
- Depression can be a hereditary trait. Thus, teenagers who have a family history of depression (immediate relatives) are more susceptible to suffer from the condition.
- At times, teenagers under peer pressure can go astray, taking to smoking, drinking or substance abuse. All these unhealthy lifestyle habits can play a pivotal role triggering depression among teenagers.
Signs and symptoms indicating depression among teenagers
Teenagers suffering from depression may exhibit one or more of the following visible signs and symptoms.
- A sudden change in behavior. The teenager may get agitated and short tempered at small instances.
- Their self-confidence goes for a toss.
- Many teenagers with depression cut themselves off from the outside world. They start avoiding interacting with people as much as they can.
- They get overcome with extreme emotions (cries even at small instances).
- There may be changes in eating as well as sleeping habits.
- Lack of concentration.
- In extreme cases, the person may even exhibit suicidal tendencies.
How to deal with teenage depression:
Do not neglect the situation if the teenager is suddenly exhibiting a changed behavior. Talk to them. Try to find out the cause of discomfort and anguish.
- Parents should not pressurise their children. Appreciate their achievements, no matter how small. Never demoralize or compare your kids with others.
- If your child is avoiding people, try to find out the reason behind their behavior.
- If the child shows suicidal tendencies or is into unhealthy lifestyle habits, seek an expert help immediately. Your timely intervention can save your child from taking any drastic step.
- Meditation and exercise can go a long way to lift up the mood and spirits of your child.
- Treat your child with love and affection. This is what they need the most.