Lybrate.com has top trusted Psychologists from across India. You will find Psychologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Gurgaon and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Sex Addiction Counselling
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Submit a review for Dr. Satyam JainYour feedback matters!
I am 47 year old male, always underconfident, can not project myself and feel all are better than me, scared to speak in crowd or meeting. Kindly solve my problem.
I am also a person who have much addiction of phone. So what I have to do for that to not much addicted to phone. Please suggest me doctor. What I have to do.
I am a class 12th student. I am going to appear for the aipmt exam this year. But the chapters which I had remembered throughout the year now I had forgotten all those things. Now I am thinking that I am not able to write any thing in my exam if this situation exists. And because of the depression I want to suicide. please doctor help me.
Schizophrenia is a psychiatric disorder in which a person’s mood, knowledge, thought and several other characteristics gets disturbed. We can notice most of the adults and old people with few symptoms of schizophrenia, which are most commonly left unidentified. The exact cause of schizophrenia is not yet known. The person feels that they are being constantly watched, they feel the presence of someone or something, which is not actually there. They are always suspicious and think that other people are gossiping and thinking about them.
Possible causes of Schizophrenia
Though the exact cause of schizophrenia is not known there are few factors, which contribute to the cause of schizophrenia.
- Genetic factors: People with a family history of schizophrenia are at higher risk of getting schizophrenia.
- Environmental factors: Environmental factors include excessive stress during pregnancy or later stages of life. Several other factors during pregnancy and childhood are responsible for causing schizophrenia. These factors are:
- Decreased oxygen level during delivery due to premature birth or prolonged labour
- Parental loss or separation in early stages of life
- Parental exposure to virus or during infancy
- Childhood physical or sexual abuse
- Abnormal brain structures and brain chemistry
Sings and symptoms of schizophrenia
- Hallucination: To see, feel or hear anything that really does not exist is known as hallucination.
- Delusion: A thought or belief of a person, which is either false or impossible in reality is known as delusion.
- Thought and speech disturbances: The thought process and speech of a schizophrenic will be disorganized, due to which he or she will fumble or is distracted as they are unable to align their thoughts.
- Difficulty in concentrating: It is difficult for people suffering from schizophrenia to concentrate on the task at hand.
- Erratic behaviour: People suffering from schizophrenia tend to behave erratically, either they will be too jumpy or will be perfectly still for hours at a stretch. Most people belief that those who are suffering from schizophrenia are often violent in nature, which actually is not the case.
Treatment for schizophrenia
Schizophrenia can be treated, if identified at an early stage. It is best advised to consult a psychiatrist the moment you spot the symptoms. Anti psychotic drugs, self help behaviour change, counselling and rehabilitation are few treatment modalities available for schizophrenia.
As much as we would like to ignore it, domestic abuse is a very common problem. Not every woman has the strength to fight against it and confide in someone. As a friend, it is your duty to look out for them. You don’t have to be an expert in psychology to know the warning signs of domestic violence. Here are 8 such warning signs.
- She is quiet when he is around: If your friend is normally jovial and suddenly becomes quiet the moment her partner is around, don’t overlook the change. She may be scared of saying something that might upset him and start a fight.
- She allows herself to be put down: In almost all cases of domestic violence, the woman is made to feel guilty about everything. This becomes habit and she loses her will to fight back. If you notice you’re friend allowing her partner to walk over her and put her down, she may be facing abuse at home.
- She withdraws from friends and family: Social withdrawal is another major sign of domestic violence. There may be a number of reasons for this; he is too possessive of her, she is injured and scared of letting people see her injuries etc.
- Unexplained injuries: Making an excuse that walking into a door caused a black eye isn’t only a scene from the movies. If your friend suddenly starts wearing inappropriate clothes such as long sleeved tops in summer, she may be a victim of domestic abuse. Look out for such excuses and injuries.
- Plans that are frequently cancelled at the last moment: Victims of domestic abuse often make plans, but never keep them. This could be because their partner does not like them going out without them or because she is injured and doesn’t want you to see her injuries.
- She has casually mentioned violent behavior, but dismissed it lightly: Casually mentioning violent behavior at home could be your friend’s way of trying to tell you that something is wrong. We fear being judged and hence it is sometimes very difficult to speak openly about facing domestic abuse. If you feel a friend is being domestically abused, encourage her to share her problems with you.
- Her finances and personal choices are not controlled by her: Domestic abuse victims usually have most of their lives controlled by their partners. This includes finances, choice of clothing, social attendance etc.
- The children seem nervous and frequently upset: Children may not say much, but notice a lot. Even if they are not abused, seeing their mother hurt can affect a child and make them moody, withdrawn and upset. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist.
I am 33 yrs. I want to pursue MBA. But I often feel that my memory is getting weak. Can I still go ahead for studies.
I sometimes feel acute pain in my head at the sides and at back. My eyesight is not weak. I am not able to study properly. What can be the reason?
As you know, several scientific studies have proven that smoking is one of the main causes of several serious ailments like cancer, lung diseases, asthma and so on. Pregnant women who smoke not only spoil their own health, but also the health of the lovely kid in their womb. Yet many women wonder whether smoking really affects pregnancy and the answer is quite in the affirmative.
- Cigarette chokes the baby in the womb: It is known that cigarette smoke contains more than 4000 chemicals including lead and cyanide. In fact, it is one of the few products that contain more than 60 different types of cancer causing chemicals and compounds. It would be interesting to note that none among these 4000 chemicals is beneficial to the expectant mother and to the baby in the womb. In fact, cigarette smoke chokes not only the expectant mother, but also the baby inside. As a result, frequent chocking causes serious effects on the health of the fetus.
- Grouped into three categories: Smoking directly affects the health of the fetus. Premature babies, still born babies and underweight babies are some of the results of smoking prior to pregnancy. As a matter of fact, smoking by women could be grouped into three namely smoking before, during and after pregnancy. This issue is further discussed here:
- It is strongly suggested that women planning on pregnancy should stop smoking at least few months before they conceive. In the first place, smoking may affect the fertility of both men and women. Therefore, the couple should stop smoking, if they are planning to have a baby. Further, if the couple does not quit smoking and the woman becomes pregnant, then it can seriously affect the health of the baby.
- Whether you smoke during the first three months or during the last phase of the pregnancy, tobacco can severely harm the health of the fetus. The increase of monoxide in the blood stream caused by smoking tobacco will enter the bloodstream of the mother and also of the child in the womb. Naturally, this will affect the growth of the child. It can cause visual and/or hearing impairment, behavioural problems and also mental disability of the baby.
- Post pregnancy, the mother should breastfeed the baby. Smoking can retard the secretion of milk in the breast. Further, the dangerous chemicals present in the smoke of tobacco will make its presence in the breast milk. Naturally, this will affect the health of the baby.
Keeping in view the best interests of the mother and baby, it is strongly suggested that the couple should stop smoking, if they want to have a baby. After all, the health of the baby and of the couple is a matter of primary importance. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.