Lybrate.com has top trusted Psychologists from across India. You will find Psychologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Gurgaon and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Sex Addiction Counselling
Submit a review for Dr. Priya AgrawalYour feedback matters!
We all have mood swings but not all mood swings have the same intensity. People who have extreme mood swings ranging from depression to manic highs are said to be suffering from bipolar disorder. These extreme moods are known as episodes and usually, last for a few days or even a few weeks. A person suffering from bipolar disorder could have an episode several times a year. This is a very common psychological problem and can affect both children and adults. Though it cannot be cured, this disease can be managed with medication.
There are no known causes for bipolar disorder but genetics may play an important role in triggering Bipolar Disorder. Hence, if a parent or sibling suffers from this condition, you have a risk of developing it as well. An imbalance in the neurotransmitters in the brain may also play a part in the development of this condition. Stress or traumatic events like the loss of a loved one can also increase your risk of suffering from this condition. Given that mood swings affect almost each one of us, bipolar disorder can be difficult to diagnose. Some of the things to look out for are:
- Change in self-esteem
- Unusual talkativeness or quietness
- Being increasingly prone to distractions
- Decreased need for sleep
- Recklessness in terms of spending decisions, relationships etc
It must be kept in mind that a person must display at least 4 of the above symptoms simultaneously to be diagnosed as bipolar. Also, none of these symptoms should be a result or side effect of any kind of medication, drugs, alcohol or other intoxicants.
There are four main types of bipolar disorder:
- Bipolar I: In such cases, the person has at least one episode of elevated moods and associated abnormal behaviour in his or her life. This may be preceded or followed by depressive episodes.
- Bipolar II: In these cases, the person must have suffered from at least one depressive episode. It is very similar to bipolar I except that in bipolar II the highs never reach the manic stage.
- Rapid Cycling: Some people can have 4 or more manic and depressive episodes a year. In such cases, they are said to be rapid cycling. This condition affects 10-20% of bipolar cases.
- Mixed Bipolar: Usually, bipolar patients show mood swings that alternate between manic and depressive moods. However, sometimes a person may experience both elation and depression simultaneously or in rapid succession of each other. These cases are known as mixed bipolar.
Once diagnosed, bipolar disorder can be managed with a combination of medication and psychotherapy. In some cases, electroconvulsive therapy may also be needed. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a psychiatrist and ask a free question.
Hello doctor, my aunt is suffering from a mental illness. She blabbers loudly throughout the day, she feels she is superior to all and everyone is trying to get her down. She is highly superstitious. She also gets hallucination and trust only people who praise her. She has immense amount of energy compared to a women of age of 55. What kind of syndrome is this? What can be possible treatment as it is very difficult to take her to a doctor whole day she keeps on screaming loudly in house please help.
Hi! My name is Vishal and I am addicted of smoking, It is necessary to stop this for good health in future.
I feel very tensed in any situation or can say worry regarding any situation. So what I should do feel relaxed?
I was in relationship with someone since last 9 month bt in january I got breakup frm tht tym I got depressed. Always pain in head. Do not concentrate ourself on career.
I've been smoking bong since 3 months Lots of couch has been formed in my lungs I keep spitting in near by dustbin what should I do?
Is it fine to smoke two cigarettes per day after 6 weeks of hernia open surgery? Will it affect wound?
When I getting sex it is completed very soon with in 5 mint . Is it any problem in my mind or it is any disease . Please help me . IT did held many time .
If anyone suffering from night falling and he got great depression due to this. His health fitness is not good. What should he do?
How to Increase Concentration Power. I often used Stick to The Mobile Phone. From past 20 days I'm avoiding mobile as much as possible. But I'm unable to Concentrate more than 30 to 40 minutes.=_=
I have started developing sexual feelings for my mother. Since im single for a very long tym now. Nowadays I have started taking care of her, helping her with everything, staying and spending more tym with her besides sleeping with her in the night. I have alot of sexual urges. I even fantasize me n her making love. Please help.
My memory is temprary when I learn somthing then after some time I forgot everything so I need your help how could I increase my memory power?
Dear doctor, I am aged 29 years male. I am facing stress and strain for the past one year and could not able to concentrate on any work involvemently. Many times I get depressed when I think about my future and lose my confidence and become dull. I know pretty well what I am doing is wrong and inspite of that, all efforts I make to overcome this problem ends in vain. As I am in a confused situation, I need your advise doctor. Please help me. Thanks.
I take more than 6 hours sleep daily still feel sleepy all time?? And because of this I can not do my studies as well. What is the reason?
Hi I am 25 year old working professional who is also preparing for upsc. I am feeling very sad and depressed lately. And its not going away. Affecting my work and studies and life as such. Not able to overcome it. Sometimes feel nauseated and suffocating. Nothing brings me up. Please help. Sometimes I even feel suicidal.
How to forget my gf because I love much more then any other in my life. So please tell me how I can forget her because she don't love me.
Concentration depends upon the ability to focus. Concentration is basically concerned with disciplining your mind to improve focus. However, your mind will tend to resist your efforts as it loves its own freedom. By practicing 10 to 15 minutes of exercises to improve concentration on a daily basis, you will be able to train and discipline your mind, and hence improve your concentration.
Before proceeding to do these exercises, there is a need to set the mood for it. First of all, you will have to find a place where you can be alone without any disturbance. You can sit cross legged on the floor or on a chair with your spine erect. Take a few deep breaths and then relax your body to direct your attention to it. To start off, you can practice these exercises for 10 minutes and then lengthen the time to 15 minutes after a few weeks of training.
- Exercise 1: Take a book or a magazine and count the number of words in a single paragraph. Count them again to ensure that you have counted correctly. You can start off with one paragraph and as you get used to it, move on to counting words in two paragraphs. Then move on to counting words on the whole page. Make sure that you perform the counting mentally and only with your eyes without pointing your finger at each word. This is one of the simplest brain exercises to improve concentration.
- Exercise 2: Another exercise to increase concentration is count backwards in your mind from hundred to one. Once you have mastered this, move on to counting backwards from hundred to one but this time skipping three numbers such as 100, 97, 94, 91, 88 etc.
- Exercise 3: Select an inspiring word or just a simple sound and think about it in your mind, repeating it in your mind for 5 minutes. Once your mind has begun to concentrate on it easily, move on to 10 minutes of uninterrupted concentration.
Care to share.