Acne scars are the marks left behind after an episode of acne. Symptoms of acne scars are marks left behind after a bout of acne.
HOW IS ACNE SCARS DIAGNOSED?
In most cases, the acne scars can be self diagnosed.
HOW IS ACNE SCARS TREATED?
Treatments include, cortisone, fading creams, laser and filler treatments, and soft tissue filling through collagen injections, to name a few. Other treatments include medicines and creams based on Ayurveda, dermabrasion, chemical peeling, needling, rolling, botox injections and surgery.
DID YOU KNOW?
Successful treatment of acne scars may sometimes take up to a year and thus needs patience and regular follow ups. Picking and squeezing at the scars will only elongate the healing period while avoiding sun will quicken the pace of treatment.
Acne is a long-term skin disease that occurs when the hair follicles in the skin become clogged with dead skin cells and excess oil. Its symptoms include the appearance of whiteheads, blackheads, pimples and greasy skin and may often cause scarring.
The scars develop when the pores swell thus rupturing the wall of the follicle. If the lesion is shallow, it heals quickly. If the break in the wall is deep, the lesions created as a result of the spillage of infected material are also deeper.
Acne scars are mainly of two kinds:
• Atrophic or depressed: These scars are formed when tissue is lost. The small scars resembling holes on the skin surface are called ice pick scars, while the circular or oval shaped depressions resembling chicken pox scars are boxcar scars.
• Hypertrophic or keloid: These scars are produced when the body produces excessive collagen to heal the wound leading to the formation of raised tissue on the surface of the skin.
Acne is usually caused by the following factors:
• Hormonal activity: A change in hormone secretion as that occurring during puberty or menstrual cycles may cause acne formation. The increased concentration of androgens in the female body increases both the sebum levels and the size of follicles.
• Medical conditions: High-androgen state can be a result of conditions like polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), congenital adrenal hyperplasia and androgen secreting tumours. This causes acne outbreaks in the affected person. It can also be a side effect of anabolic steroid use as body-building supplements and testosterone replacement therapy.
• Genetic: Genetic transmission predisposes a few people to acne formation.
• Infections: Bacterial infections or parasitic mites may also result in acne.
• Psychological conditions: Stress factors have been observed to increase the severity of acne.
• Diet- Consumption of oily food is considered to be contributive to acne.
Acne Rosacea is a condition characterized by redness, appearance of superficially dilated blood vessels, pustules and swelling on the face, across the cheeks, nose, or forehead. It may also affect the neck, ears, chest and scalp.
How to remove acne scars?
There are multiple treatments on how to remove pimple scars. To remove acne scars, you may follow these home remedies for acne scars:
• Lemon juice: Apply a few drops of lemon juice on your face and wash it off after a while. Alternatively, make a face pack with honey and lemon and apply it on the acne every day for 2-3 weeks.
• Honey: Mix two tablespoons of honey with 2-3 crushed aspirin tablets and a bit of water. Apply it on your acne scars and wash off after 15 minutes.
• Baking soda: Massage your face with a paste of baking soda and water. Wash off with warm water after 2 minutes.
• Aloe vera Gel: Apply aloe vera gel to your acne scar twice, regularly.
• Tea-tree oil or apple-cider vinegar: A few drops of either of these two ingredients diluted with a bit of water works wonders on acne scars. This along with honey are two of the best acne home remedies.
scar Treatment for acne also includes:
• Laser and filler treatments which are usually prescribed as a last resort to healing acne scars.
• Benzoyl peroxide which effectively reduces the severity and the number of acne scars.
People suffering from acne are also advised not to pick at the pimples or acne scars and to avoid exposure to the sun.
Receive trained medical advice at Lybrate.com. The best dermatologists and doctors will respond to your queries on how to treat pimples and acne scars. You can consult them about treatments about how to get rid of acne. Send your questions to the top dermatologists or book an appointment directly for free on our website. Search for the best doctors and dermatologists in Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Delhi, Faridabad, etc. Subscribe to Lybrate.com for more information on how to treat pimples scars, how to remove pimples, how to treat pimples etc.
Consult top doctors for Acne Scars online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in Adarsh Nagar, AIIMS, Alipur, Anand Parbat, Anand Vihar, Ashok Vihar and in any other locality in Delhi for Acne Scars.