Book Clinic Appointment with Dt. Nehha Ahuja
Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Healthy Heart Diet
Child Nutrition Management
Immunity Therapy Treatment
Nutrition Assessment Service
Treatment Of Foot Infection
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Submit a review for Dt. Nehha AhujaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
The greatest wealth is health. Physical health and mental health are just the two sides of the same coin. One wouldn't be functional without the other. For a person to achieve a complete sense of well-being, he or she needs to have a functional mental and physical health. Although there are hundreds of methods such as yoga, meditation, exercise and annual checkups to maintain good health, people are not aware of them due to many factors such as lack of awareness. Yet the following are some of the habits one can adhere to in their daily lives for a healthy living.
- Eat to stay fit: 'Every time you eat or drink, you are either feeding disease or fighting it.' Eating healthy is crucial as it facilitates and improves the metabolic functions of the body. One should always aim for a balanced diet consisting of adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals. Fresh fruits and vegetables should be included and fried, fat-rich and fast foods should be avoided to the extent possible. The right foods help in fighting foreign substances while the unhealthy ones breed them.
- Rest to be at your best: Requisite rest and sufficient sleep is essential for proper functioning of the body. If perhaps, early to bed and early to rise is not your thing, then you might try going to bed at a regular time each day. A good night's sleep rejuvenates both the body and the mind after a day's work. It can be compared to the refreshing cold water that one craves after a long run. So for those who love sleep, you people are possibly on the right track.
- Follow an active lifestyle: A sedentary lifestyle is perhaps the cause of a diaspora of diseases in the long run. A daily dose of physical activity is quintessential for maintaining a sound physical and mental health. Physical workouts and exercises lead to an increased circulation of blood throughout the body and help both the body and mind to stay fit. If you do not get enough time for workouts, try running or walking for at least 30 minutes a day. It will help. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Most of us wake up to a cup of hot coffee every morning. Coffee is like an indispensable part of most of our lives. But, there has been a lot of debate regarding the effect of coffee on human health. While some believe that coffee is a performance booster and prevents against certain diseases, others express doubt on the goodness of caffeine in coffee. Rather, the presence of caffeine keeps a lot of us worried about the adverse effects of coffee.
But, one needs to keep in mind that coffee is a complex beverage. It has both its pros and cons. One needs to know all about coffee before ordering the second cup for himself or herself. Reasons for having that second cup of coffee:
- Coffee activates your system: It contains caffeine that increases the level of adrenaline hormone in your body. This hormone is responsible for getting you ready for fighting against odds or physical tasks.
- Coffee checks your body weight: It contains minerals like magnesium and potassium. These minerals maintain the insulin level in your body. Therefore, by drinking coffee, your appetite for quick snacks gets killed. However, the sugar levels stay intact. It also burns fat.
- Protection against cancer: A recent study claimed that coffee can provide protection against cancer. It is said to have the potential to reduce the chances of having prostate cancer in men and endometrial cancer in women.
- Guard against other serious diseases: Coffee is believed to provide prevention against some serious diseases Type II diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer disease and stroke. It contains antioxidants that boost body’s immune system. Caffeine can lower one’s sensitivity towards insulin and provides impairment to glucose tolerance, reducing chances of developing Type II diabetes.
Reasons for not having that second cup of coffee:
- Toxic: Coffee has the possibility of being toxic. It can be adulterate with a lot of harmful impurities. The cheaper and poor quality coffee can prove to be highly toxic sometimes.
- Don’t overdrink: Coffee can prove very harmful and even lethal, if taken in larger quantities. It has the potential to kill an individual, if 80-100 cups are consumed in a shorter session.
- It gives sleeplessness: Coffee can turn you into an insomniac, if consumed in larger amounts.
Nothing is good, if overdone or overused. The same goes for coffee as well. It is good for your health if taken in small amounts at measured intervals. You can definitely order the second cup of coffee for yourself, provided you keep a check on the number of cups you have consumed in the entire day. A sensible individual will drink less, but drink regularly to get blessed with the goodness of coffee beans. An irresponsible drinker will just get addicted to see the worst in future. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Do you want a flawless skin and a perfect figure to grab eyeballs? Are you a fitness freak? Do you believe that your daily dose of exercise can gift you a beautiful body? Well, it’s time you update your knowledge a bit on this issue. Running on the treadmill or spending hours on meditation or yoga is just not enough for a healthy body, skin and mind. You need to flush out the toxins from your body as well. You need to include food items in your regular diet, which have the ability to detox your body.
Believe it or not, there are a plenty of detoxifying natural food items. These food items promote the health of your organs like kidneys, intestines and liver, which help you to get rid of the toxins. Don’t go for any medications or artificial ways of detox. Here are some natural food items that can cleanse your body thoroughly:
- Artichokes: This food item is rich in prebiotic inulin, which helps the growth of probiotics in the gut. Probiotics are the essential and good bacteria. They promote the process of digestion. It improves the health of the gut and facilitates its smooth functioning.
- Brussels sprouts: Cruciferous vegetables like sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, etc are a must for your health. They improve the health of liver, kidneys and gut. They also facilitate bowel movement. Researchers claim that these foods are rich in phytochemical sulforaphane. This compound protects your body from the adverse effects of pre-carcinogenic cells.
- Oranges: As we all know, oranges have the goodness of vitamin C. Moreover, it is also rich in antioxidants. Vitamin C and other antioxidants keep the liver functioning proper and therefore detoxify the body. Intake of oranges boosts the production of a compound called glutathione. This compound is a must for detoxification of the liver.
- Eggs: If you are thinking that eggs can only help in body-building by giving you the right amount of protein. You are wrong. They do a lot more help to you. They contain an amino acid called cysteine. This is needed for breaking down acetaldehyde, it comes as a by-product of alcohol metabolism. Therefore, eggs are the best food items to get your body purified after an over-night booze party.
- Sweet potatoes: These are rich in Vitamin B. Vitamins B6, B12 and vitamin B folate help in overall digestion and metabolism.
- Lentils: They provide your body with zinc. This mineral is needed for boosting up the immune system of our body and promoting digestion and metabolism.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Post-pregnancy diet is one of the vital aspects that goes a long way in helping your body recover from childbirth. Understanding what to eat and what to avoid not only helps in regaining the energy levels, but also passes on the necessary nutrients to the baby. Just like during pregnancy, a new mother's diet should include vitamins, calcium, omega 3, proteins and minerals and this course of action must be sustained for twelve months to replenish the mother’s health. Some of the essential food items advised for new mothers include:
- Fruits and vegetables: Oranges, tomatoes, and other fruits rich in vitamin C can promote the healing process after a C-section delivery.
- Whole grains: Whole grains must be included in the diet as the nutrition offered by whole grains is essential for mothers. This enables them to face the daily task of caring for their newborn child and catering to its many requirements.
- Fish and soy food: Women who eat non-vegetarian diets should focus on fish as this one of the best sources of lean animal protein. For the ones who are vegetarian, soy food and pulses offer desired protein nutrition.
- Dairy: Dairy and dairy products add calcium and other nutrients, which help to strengthen the mother's body. The regular intake of milk makes children and their mothers strong!
- Leafy greens: Green vegetables are rich in iron, a nutrient that helps deal with postpartum problems. These leafy greens are also crucial in a new mother's diet.
- Greek yogurt with berries: Yoghurt is excellent for the digestive system and combining this dairy product with natural berries (instead of refined sugar) makes it healthier for one's body.
- Nuts: These represent a healthy substitute to harmful, artificially sweetened and processed snacks that one consumes on the go.
- Hard boiled egg with carrots: This snack option may not be as tasty as one expects, but it serves the purpose of nutrition very well. Starting one's day with eggs and carrots is indeed a good idea.
- Low-fat cheese: Cheese is an excellent source of protein and having low-fat cheese takes care of any weight issues that a new mother might face.
- Whole grain cereal and milk: Whether in the morning, afternoon, or evening, sudden pangs of hunger can be addressed with a bowl of cereal and milk. This is much better than munching on biscuits, cakes, or cookies!
New mothers, however, must avoid processed and artificially sweetened products and should instead opt for naturally healthy food items. Pave the way to good health with the right nutrition! In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The thyroid hormones, produced by the thyroid glands, play a crucial role in maintaining the metabolism rate and digestive funtions in the human body. Any abnormality in the production of such hormones makes the body suffer from some symptoms.
The daily diet and the intake of nutrients play a significant role in influencing the creation of the thyroid hormone. Recent trends in consumer behavior indicate a preference for eating processed foods and refined sugar-rich items. These actions trigger thyroid-related health issues.
Here is a quick look at some of the foods that you need to avoid or must include in your thyroid diet.
Foods to avoid
- Sugar: The excessive consumption of refined sugar products or artificially sweetened beverages often leads to stomach infections and the production of harmful pathogens inside the human body. This hampers the production of thyroid hormones. Therefore, excessive sugar in the thyroid diet must be strictly curtailed.
- Gluten: When the immune system starts producing antibodies that harm the thyroid hormones, thyroid malfunctioning becomes obvious. Gluten has been found to be a triggering factor in initiating autoimmune reactions. Therefore, such substances in food must be avoided by thyroid patients.
- Fried foods: Fried foods or processed food products are rich in trans-fats which are responsible for disrupting the production of thyroid hormones. Patients that consume thyroid medicine must make it a point to avoid fried and processed foods.
Foods to consider
- Yogurt: Dairy products are well-known for their nutrient-rich characteristics. Yogurt works magic for the thyroid diet. From supplying the body with probiotics to fight off stomach infections to fulfilling the body's requirement for vitamin D and iodine, yogurt has it all.
- Milk: For those who suffer from the underproduction of thyroid hormones, a daily intake of Vitamin D and iodine is of crucial importance. The regular consumption of milk fulfills the body's requirement of these two nutrients while helping the body to metabolize fat a lot faster.
- Chicken: Often, the reduced intake of zinc influences thyroid conditions such as hypothyroidism. Zinc is one of the micro-nutrients required for the healthy functioning of the thyroid glands. Therefore, people must include chicken in their daily diets. The intake of this form of the animal protein is essential, as it is rich in zinc and also dopamine and amino acids, which help in dealing with thyroid problems.
- Eggs: Being a good source of selenium and iodine, eggs work efficiently in taking care of one's thyroid health. Also, the fat-soluble vitamins in eggs help to eliminate fat deposits that result from malfunctioning thyroids.
Remember, just like the auto-immune conditions, or environmental toxins or stress, your diet can cause problems to the thyroid gland. Unlike other factors, when it comes to nutrition, you can control it and improve it by including healthy and nutritious foods while eliminating items that induce thyroid diseases. In case you are a severe thyroid patient, you must consult with a dietitian before making any changes in your daily diet.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
A condition that stems from the formation of small cysts on the outer portions of enlarged ovaries is PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). PCOS occurs due to hormonal disorders in women, and dealing with the symptoms of this condition of ‘hormones going out of balance’ can be truly frustrating.
From acne invasion to irregular menstrual cycles, from insulin resistance to no periods at all, uncontrolled polycystic ovary syndrome can trigger some complications to the health of women. However, being selective about what you eat can help to control the severity of PCOS symptoms.
Let's find out the best practices regarding diet that can help to combat polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Add more lean protein: Food items such as chicken, tofu, and fish represent excellent sources of lean animal protein. Though these sources lack fiber, they are rich in protein that helps in making one feel full for extended periods of time while stabilizing blood sugar levels. A lean protein-rich diet is essential to reduce the effects of high levels of the male sex hormone androgen, which is responsible for the unpleasant side-effects of PCOS.
- Opt for a fiber-rich diet: Patients with PCOS should opt for a diet rich in fiber. A high-fiber diet not only helps to eliminate the risks of a sudden increase in the blood sugar levels but also slows the digestion process. These factors often help the body to fight insulin resistance. Fresh vegetables and green vegetables help to lower the effect of sugar levels in the blood.
- Don’t forget anti-inflammatory foods: Opting for anti-inflammatory food is a must to drive the ideal PCOS diet. As inflammation is considered a part of the underlying mechanism of polycystic ovary syndrome, patients must consume foods that come with inflammation relieving properties. These foods include spinach, almonds, sardines, and turmeric. The regular consumption of these food items helps to restore the normal rhythms and processes inside the body.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates: Pastries, waffles, rich cakes, and white bread abound in refined sugars. Patients of PCOS must avoid sources of refined carbohydrates. These carbohydrates are chiefly responsible for influencing insulin resistance. They also cause inflammation. Thus, health-conscious citizens and patients of PCOS must stay away from muffins, pastries, and white bread.
- Exclude sugary drinks and foods: The excessive consumption of sugar is one of the causes of insulin resistance. This condition can influence and aggravate PCOS symptoms. Therefore, when planning your PCOS diet, make it a point to exclude sugary drinks and deep fried snacks at all costs.
There is no instant cure for polycystic ovary syndrome. However, by selecting the right nutrition or diet one might be able to manage the problems due to PCOS, and have a healthy and happy life.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Dieting vs Fad Dieting: How can you spot the Fad?
When it comes to health foods, the craze these days are the low-fat foods or the diet foods - This craze is more of a fad. A fad that unfortunately, most of us are following. However, it is important that we understand that if the goal is to lose weight or stay fit - 'fat-free' isn't a magic wand! The health food market is full of a variety of restricted fat versions of foods. There is a variety of 'fat-free', 'low-fat', 'light' and 'reduced-fat' products available.
Let's understand what these terms actually mean.
- 'Fat-free' foods have less than 0.5 grams of fat per serving.
- 'Low-fat' foods have 3 grams of fat or less per serving.
- 'Reduced-fat' foods have at least 25% less fat than regular versions of those foods.
- 'Light' foods have either 1/3 fewer calories or 50% less fat.
The real issue with the 'actual' fat-free foods is that they are tasteless. To make up for that, food industries pour ingredients which enhance the flavor - especially sugar, refined flour, thickeners, salt and other additives. That actually adds calories, chemicals, and stabilizers which make the food ironically much less healthy than its 'with fat' version!
If the foods are not very appealing, they are less satisfying. However, if it comes as a healthy version, you can eat it guilt free and maybe eat a lot more of it.
The right thought is to think good fat, not fat-free! Follow these rules for the right fat intake.
- When it comes to health, the type of fat you eat is more important than the amount of fat you eat. It is recommended to keep the amount of fat in your diet down to about 30% of the total calorie intake.
- Don't include saturated fats, which are found in animal products (beef, pork, butter, and other full-fat dairy products), or artificial trans fats, found in partially hydrogenated oils, Dalda or vanaspati.
- Choose lean cuts of meat and fish, and low-fat dairy products, and eliminate trans fats from your diet as much as possible.
- Chose pure ghee, nuts, dairy, fatty fish, fruits like avocado or jackfruit in your diet.
- Avoid packeted, convenience and processed foods.
Tips for buying fat free foods
You do not have to completely miss total miss the fat-free foods, but pick them with the right knowledge! Here are the guidelines for the same:
- Read the food labels: Before buying a fat-free food, make sure the product isn't loaded with sugar or additives, and that it's actually lower in calories than the regular version. Also, check the serving size.
- Watch your servings: Sometimes it's better to eat one serving of more satisfying whole-fat food and avoid the extra calories and sugar in the low-fat version. So, having a few pieces of regular fried chips is way better than indulging in a bag full of the so-called baked chips.
- Eat more vegetables, fruits, legumes, and whole grains: These give you nutrients and fiber to keep you feeling full for longer, and they typically have fewer calories. They're also naturally low in fat. Eg: A baked potato is a better choice than 'baked' potato chips. The whole potato has more nutrients, more fiber, and fewer calories. Wheat cracks or daliya, vegetables, and fruit also have soluble fiber, which helps the body lower blood cholesterol. Your diet should have variety and be based on whole foods. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
Peanuts are rich in monounsaturated fats, the sort of fat that is added to a healthy-heart diet. However, just as peanuts have loads of benefits, they come with certain disadvantages too. The advantages of peanuts are as follows:
- Peanuts are a source of antioxidants: Not only do peanuts contain oleic acid, but also the energizing fat found in olive oil and is a rich form of cell regeneration. The regeneration material is very helpful in avoiding many types of cancers. For example, as preventive agents, simmered peanuts do equal amount of recovery and regeneration as blackberries and strawberries. These are far more efficient than apples, carrots or beets.
- Peanuts are key to heart-health benefits: Just as peanuts are good cancer preventing agents, dangers of death from cardiovascular and coronary heart diseases can also be avoided with their help.
- Peanuts reduce risk of stroke based on preliminary animal studies: Resveratrol is a substance, which was initially found in red grapes and red wine. However, now it is also available in peanuts. This phytonutrient has been said to enhance the blood flow in the brain by as much as 30 percent. It enormously diminishes the danger of a stroke or a heart attack.
As mentioned earlier, just as peanuts have certain good qualities, they can be somewhat bad for the health as well. Following are some of the reasons:
- Peanuts can be an allergen: Peanuts are also considered as a standout amongst the most widely recognized food sensitivities for people. A lot of people have nut hypersensitivities so serious that even their breathing is disturbed with a little amount of a shelled nut. Their tongue starts getting numb and their skin starts swelling. Some people have an extremely increased allergy to peanuts and for them, it can even be fatal, if not treated immediately.
- Peanuts contain lectins: Peanuts, alongside different vegetables like soy, contain hostile substances called lectins. Lectins are sticky proteins found in numerous food items including vegetables. They serve as a bug. The stickiness and structure of lectins, however, makes them very difficult to process and digest.
- Peanuts contain inflammatory elements: The abnormal state of Omega-6 unsaturated fats that peanuts contain is quite dangerous. It is true that your body needs, both Omega-3 and Omega-6 unsaturated fats for a good health. The issue, in any case, is that the standard western eating routine is, to a great degree, high in Omega-6 unsaturated fats and low in Omega-3s. At the point when Omega-3 unsaturated fats are out of proportion with the Omega-6 fats (as frequently emerges in a standard Western eating routine) irritation, coronary illness, and other medical problems emerge. Therefore, a balanced diet is very important.
We all know about magnesium as a mineral, but what most individuals do not know is the fact that it is a very important mineral for our bodily health. Magnesium is involved with more or less 300 complex metabolic processes in our body, thus earning the title of ‘master mineral’.
Here is a list of reasons why magnesium holds an important place in our body.
It is responsible for transportation of calcium across cell membranes. As such, it helps calcium get into the bone matter. Like we all know, magnesium is anti-inflammatory. It helps in waiving conditions mentioned below:
So magnesium deficiency can definitely cause numerous problems in the human body. This element works in our body at a cellular level. It is important to have a check up done with the doctor to ensure the magnesium level, however, a simple a blood test cannot determine the presence or absence of it. Here are a few signs that might suggest that an individual is suffering from magnesium deficiency.
- A lot of calcium deficiency which means brittle bones
- Very poor heart health
- A lot of unnecessary weakness
- Very frequent muscle cramps at unusual situations
- Tremors, nausea and unnecessary anxiety
- High blood pressure and type 2 diabetes
- Difficulty in swallowing the food
- Poor memory
- Lots and lots of useless confusion
Although individuals with magnesium deficiency suffer from these symptoms, it is not necessary that any individual suffering from such symptoms might have magnesium deficiency. So, the only way to improve magnesium amount in the body is by changing your diet and including magnesium rich foods or my supplementing your food with magnesium-based food products.
Magnesium overdose is close to impossible and so many would not check their magnesium intake. However, consuming too much of anything can never be a good idea. Excessive magnesium intake might end up causing the following issues:
- Irregular heartbeats in individuals
- Slow breathing
This excess amount of magnesium in the body might be due to the fact that not all supplements can be easily absorbed by the body. So it is a better idea to eat inexpensive food to keep the magnesium levels at par with the bodily requirements.
Here is a list of items that can relieve the deficiency symptoms of low magnesium.