Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Healthy Heart Diet
Child Nutrition Management
Immunity Therapy Treatment
Nutrition Assessment Service
Treatment Of Foot Infection
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Submit a review for Diet CentreYour feedback matters!
Dieting vs Fad Dieting: How can you spot the Fad?
When it comes to health foods, the craze these days are the low-fat foods or the diet foods - This craze is more of a fad. A fad that unfortunately, most of us are following. However, it is important that we understand that if the goal is to lose weight or stay fit - 'fat-free' isn't a magic wand! The health food market is full of a variety of restricted fat versions of foods. There is a variety of 'fat-free', 'low-fat', 'light' and 'reduced-fat' products available.
Let's understand what these terms actually mean.
- 'Fat-free' foods have less than 0.5 grams of fat per serving.
- 'Low-fat' foods have 3 grams of fat or less per serving.
- 'Reduced-fat' foods have at least 25% less fat than regular versions of those foods.
- 'Light' foods have either 1/3 fewer calories or 50% less fat.
The real issue with the 'actual' fat-free foods is that they are tasteless. To make up for that, food industries pour ingredients which enhance the flavor - especially sugar, refined flour, thickeners, salt and other additives. That actually adds calories, chemicals, and stabilizers which make the food ironically much less healthy than its 'with fat' version!
If the foods are not very appealing, they are less satisfying. However, if it comes as a healthy version, you can eat it guilt free and maybe eat a lot more of it.
The right thought is to think good fat, not fat-free! Follow these rules for the right fat intake.
- When it comes to health, the type of fat you eat is more important than the amount of fat you eat. It is recommended to keep the amount of fat in your diet down to about 30% of the total calorie intake.
- Don't include saturated fats, which are found in animal products (beef, pork, butter, and other full-fat dairy products), or artificial trans fats, found in partially hydrogenated oils, Dalda or vanaspati.
- Choose lean cuts of meat and fish, and low-fat dairy products, and eliminate trans fats from your diet as much as possible.
- Chose pure ghee, nuts, dairy, fatty fish, fruits like avocado or jackfruit in your diet.
- Avoid packeted, convenience and processed foods.
Tips for buying fat free foods
You do not have to completely miss total miss the fat-free foods, but pick them with the right knowledge! Here are the guidelines for the same:
- Read the food labels: Before buying a fat-free food, make sure the product isn't loaded with sugar or additives, and that it's actually lower in calories than the regular version. Also, check the serving size.
- Watch your servings: Sometimes it's better to eat one serving of more satisfying whole-fat food and avoid the extra calories and sugar in the low-fat version. So, having a few pieces of regular fried chips is way better than indulging in a bag full of the so-called baked chips.
- Eat more vegetables, fruits, legumes, and whole grains: These give you nutrients and fiber to keep you feeling full for longer, and they typically have fewer calories. They're also naturally low in fat. Eg: A baked potato is a better choice than 'baked' potato chips. The whole potato has more nutrients, more fiber, and fewer calories. Wheat cracks or daliya, vegetables, and fruit also have soluble fiber, which helps the body lower blood cholesterol. Your diet should have variety and be based on whole foods. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
Peanuts are rich in monounsaturated fats, the sort of fat that is added to a healthy-heart diet. However, just as peanuts have loads of benefits, they come with certain disadvantages too. The advantages of peanuts are as follows:
- Peanuts are a source of antioxidants: Not only do peanuts contain oleic acid, but also the energizing fat found in olive oil and is a rich form of cell regeneration. The regeneration material is very helpful in avoiding many types of cancers. For example, as preventive agents, simmered peanuts do equal amount of recovery and regeneration as blackberries and strawberries. These are far more efficient than apples, carrots or beets.
- Peanuts are key to heart-health benefits: Just as peanuts are good cancer preventing agents, dangers of death from cardiovascular and coronary heart diseases can also be avoided with their help.
- Peanuts reduce risk of stroke based on preliminary animal studies: Resveratrol is a substance, which was initially found in red grapes and red wine. However, now it is also available in peanuts. This phytonutrient has been said to enhance the blood flow in the brain by as much as 30 percent. It enormously diminishes the danger of a stroke or a heart attack.
As mentioned earlier, just as peanuts have certain good qualities, they can be somewhat bad for the health as well. Following are some of the reasons:
- Peanuts can be an allergen: Peanuts are also considered as a standout amongst the most widely recognized food sensitivities for people. A lot of people have nut hypersensitivities so serious that even their breathing is disturbed with a little amount of a shelled nut. Their tongue starts getting numb and their skin starts swelling. Some people have an extremely increased allergy to peanuts and for them, it can even be fatal, if not treated immediately.
- Peanuts contain lectins: Peanuts, alongside different vegetables like soy, contain hostile substances called lectins. Lectins are sticky proteins found in numerous food items including vegetables. They serve as a bug. The stickiness and structure of lectins, however, makes them very difficult to process and digest.
- Peanuts contain inflammatory elements: The abnormal state of Omega-6 unsaturated fats that peanuts contain is quite dangerous. It is true that your body needs, both Omega-3 and Omega-6 unsaturated fats for a good health. The issue, in any case, is that the standard western eating routine is, to a great degree, high in Omega-6 unsaturated fats and low in Omega-3s. At the point when Omega-3 unsaturated fats are out of proportion with the Omega-6 fats (as frequently emerges in a standard Western eating routine) irritation, coronary illness, and other medical problems emerge. Therefore, a balanced diet is very important.
We all know about magnesium as a mineral, but what most individuals do not know is the fact that it is a very important mineral for our bodily health. Magnesium is involved with more or less 300 complex metabolic processes in our body, thus earning the title of ‘master mineral’.
Here is a list of reasons why magnesium holds an important place in our body.
It is responsible for transportation of calcium across cell membranes. As such, it helps calcium get into the bone matter. Like we all know, magnesium is anti-inflammatory. It helps in waiving conditions mentioned below:
So magnesium deficiency can definitely cause numerous problems in the human body. This element works in our body at a cellular level. It is important to have a check up done with the doctor to ensure the magnesium level, however, a simple a blood test cannot determine the presence or absence of it. Here are a few signs that might suggest that an individual is suffering from magnesium deficiency.
- A lot of calcium deficiency which means brittle bones
- Very poor heart health
- A lot of unnecessary weakness
- Very frequent muscle cramps at unusual situations
- Tremors, nausea and unnecessary anxiety
- High blood pressure and type 2 diabetes
- Difficulty in swallowing the food
- Poor memory
- Lots and lots of useless confusion
Although individuals with magnesium deficiency suffer from these symptoms, it is not necessary that any individual suffering from such symptoms might have magnesium deficiency. So, the only way to improve magnesium amount in the body is by changing your diet and including magnesium rich foods or my supplementing your food with magnesium-based food products.
Magnesium overdose is close to impossible and so many would not check their magnesium intake. However, consuming too much of anything can never be a good idea. Excessive magnesium intake might end up causing the following issues:
- Irregular heartbeats in individuals
- Slow breathing
This excess amount of magnesium in the body might be due to the fact that not all supplements can be easily absorbed by the body. So it is a better idea to eat inexpensive food to keep the magnesium levels at par with the bodily requirements.
Here is a list of items that can relieve the deficiency symptoms of low magnesium.
- Seeds of pumpkin
- Seeds of sun flower
- Soya bean
- Black beans
- Sesame seeds
- Spinach and many more
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Take small and frequent meals as per dietician suggestion, on appropriate timings of the day, to get effective results.
Diabetes is a condition that affects the pancreas to the extent that they do not release the required quantity of insulin, which can lead to a high blood sugar level as the body starts to absorb excess glucose from the food that it ingests. This can be of various types and have different implications for different patients. While many experts insist that keeping a low cholesterol level and low weight is a primary requirement for treatment of diabetes patients, there are a number of myths in this regard. Not eating fat is one such myth that we are out to prove wrong today.
So read on to find out why diabetic people need to eat fat:
- Saturated Fats and Trans Fats: There are studies that demonstrate how saturated fats can actually prove to be beneficial for diabetes patients. These can be found in various sources like fish and nuts. This releases heptadecanoic acids, which can normalise the blood sugar levels as well as the insulin and triglyceride levels in the body.
- Dairy Fat: The use of milk and yogurt as well as butter can actually be help in bringing the blood sugar levels down. It also shows up favourably on the lipoprotein markers. Butter in particular is known to have clarifying properties that can bring down the risk of diabetes as well. One must take care to use dairy products that are fat free.
- Animal Fat: Having meat which releases fat and having dairy products like cheese and milk which releases healthy saturated fats are two different things. One can replace carbs and meat with these kinds of products so that there is better absorption and creation of quality animal fats which can actually help the insulin levels.
- Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated Fats: Food items like fish and nuts that carry high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids as well as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats can help patients suffering from diabetes by clearing the bloodstream of cholesterol and high lipid levels. This also prevents the risk of heart disease and arterial blockages. These kinds of fats are also found in flax seeds, soya products and walnuts.
Going low on carbohydrates and avoiding sugar is usually recommended for patients suffering from diabetes. Yet, it is important to have your fill of essential fats as mentioned above with the help of dairy products, clarified better, omega three fatty acids, dry fruits, soya products and some amount of vegetable oils, as these actually have a number of benefits for these patients. These kinds of fats are not known to cause heart disease or high cholesterol.
Vitamin D is crucial for you because it is crucial for regulating the immune system as well as making sure that phosphorous and calcium get absorbed into the bloodstream. However, Vitamin D is crucial for a number of other reasons as well. Here they are:
- Multiple sclerosis: Vitamin D is crucial in lessening your chances of getting multiple sclerosis.
- Heart disease: It has also recently been agreed upon that Vitamin D reduces your chances of getting heart disease.
- Flu: The flu is yet another disease, which may not occur if you have an adequate amount of Vitamin D in your diet.
- Depression: Vitamin D also plays a crucial role in a person's mood. The more Vitamin D there is in your body and diet, the more stable your mood is. The risks of depression are also reduced when your body and diet has an adequate amount of Vitamin D.
- Weight loss: As mentioned earlier, Vitamin D has a number of benefits among which preventing heart disease is included. However, it is worth note that weight loss is also made easier with the more vitamin D you have. This is because Vitamin D has an appetite suppressing effect. However, it should be kept in mind that Vitamin D has to be taken alongside a lot of calcium for these appetite suppressing effects to occur.
- Cancer: Vitamin D is imperative for regulating cell growth. It is also crucial for cell-to-cell communication. 200 genes in the human body are affected adversely when there is an inadequate amount of Vitamin D in your body.
- Diabetes: In a recent study, it has been concluded that infants who received an adequate amount of vitamin D had their chances of suffering from Type 1 reduced by almost 88 percent by the time they turn 30.
- Rickets: The softening of the bones is termed as rickets. Rickets is yet another disease which is caused by an insufficient amount of Vitamin D. The reason for this is that calcium is not absorbed and therefore the bones soften.
Rickets is yet another disease which is caused by an insufficient amount of vitamin D. The reason for this is that calcium is not absorbed and therefore the bones soften. The softening of the bones is termed as rickets.
These are some of many other conditions associated with a Vitamin D deficiency.
Related Tip: "Are Vitamins Vital?"
Who doesn't want a flat stomach? Six-pack abs are the ultimate goal for fitness freaks and fashionistas alike. If only, they were easy to achieve! While most people focus only on exercises to build a six pack, it is impossible to achieve without complementing your exercise plan with a diet plan. Whether you eat three meals a day or six smaller meals a day, here are a few diet hacks to help you get those abs faster.
- If it comes out of a box, stay away: Cut back on all processed food. Bread, refined sugar, alcohol, processed meats should all be replaced with fresh healthy options. If you must have bread, look for multigrain loaves and if you can't drink unsweetened tea, try honey instead of sugar.
- Mix your carbs: Carbs are often misunderstood. Having a completely carb free diet is not good for the body, but you should control your carb intake. Plan your weekly diet in such a way that your carbohydrate intake is cycled by alternating between high, moderate and low carbohydrate diet days. It will also help to plan your carb intake around your workout so that the energy produced is used to fuel your exercise.
- Eat before going out: Parties are not ideal when you're trying to build abs. It is extremely difficult to refuse the bite sized portions of delicious looking yet unhealthy food that surrounds you. Eating a protein rich meal before heading out will make your stomach full and make it easier to control your indulgences.
- Eat slowly: Along with what you eat, the speed at which you eat is also important. Chewing your food not only burns calories but also gives the brain the illusion that you have been eating for long and your stomach is full. Thus the slower you eat, the less you will eat.
- Drink water before a meal: Drinking a minimum of 8-10 glasses of water is a must for every diet. Instead of drinking water after a meal, drink a full glass before eating. This fills up your stomach and makes you feel satiated faster.
- Pre plan: Carrying your lunch to office is a sure shot way of reducing your calorie intake as compared to eating fast food or grabbing something from the office canteen. Keeping a couple of nuts and protein bars handy can also prevent unhealthy snacking.
- Don't shop hungry: If you're in a supermarket and faced with a choice between protein bars and ice cream, it is easier to go for ice cream than protein bar. For this reason, never shop on an empty stomach.