Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dietitian/Nutritionists in India. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Healthy Heart Diet
Holistic Heart Wellness & Health Care - Ayurveda
Child Nutrition Management
Treatment of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart Att
Nutrition Assessment Service
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Angioplasty Stent Surgery
Submit a review for Dt. Anchal GuptaYour feedback matters!
Indian traditions are more like the first lessons which are taught by the elders of the house. These traditions are often followed without any doubts and questions. These traditions are not just followed for the sake of religious rituals but have deep rooted scientific reasons associated with the same.
Some of the interpretations of these rituals are as follows:
- Namaste: When we greet someone or meet someone for the first time we join both our hands in for Namaste. This is done out of sheer respect for the person. Doing Namaste activates the acupuncture points of the fingertips and helps us to remember the person.
- Ushapan: This is the practice of drinking water from a copper utensil. This helps in absorbing the extra heat of the body thereby maintaining the body temperature. The water should be kept overnight in the copper pot before drinking it. It is believed that drinking water from a copper pot helps in bowel movement, cleaning of the stomach and creating digestive juices.
- Sukhasan: When ones sits on the floor with crossed leg is referred to as sukhasan. When having food in this position then a person has to bend and eat as they might have to move up and down while eating. When this happens the stomach is pushed while bending and the back is straight before taking the next bite. This movement leads to muscular movements thereby helping to produce digestive juices and aids in swallowing as well.
- Vamakukshi and shatapawali: Vamakukshi is referred to as the afternoon nap post lunch. Sleeping on the left side helps in the digestion of the food. Though prolonged sleeps can make a person lazy, a quick 10 minutes nap is recommended as it allows a person to be fresh. Shatapwali means taking 100 steps, to be more appropriate it is the walk after dinner. This helps in the digestion of food as the gas created after consuming food is moved and the pressure in the chest is reduced. The above terms literally explain the famous praise, "After lunch sleep a while, after dinner walk a mile."
- Ear piercing: Though ear piercings are looked at as a fashion ornament, but as per the Hindu traditions these help in decision making, thinking abilities and intellectual development and also to some extent an acupressure point. It is ideal to get a baby's ear pierced by the 12th day of her birth, as it is believed that getting ears pierced early leads to acquiring the quality of minimal speech.
- Touching feet of elders: This is known as one of the best exercises as it aids in blood circulation, helps in stretching and pushing the organs, improves excretion and digestion and strengthens the physique. It is also believed to transfer an aura and positive energy from the person whose feet are being touched. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a general physician.
I have a well fit body. Never felt like going to gym. But I have a bit of fat on my cheeks which makes my face look fatty. I want to decrease that fat without any gym. Please Suggest me some home remedies.
I am 42years male. When I so tired time my sleeping is not fully satisfaction. I observe. My full body inside. Fully shaking like when I complete running. Not get good sleep. This is coming for tension r somebody elsePl give idea n remedies.
I get good sleep at night but I feel tired most of the day and can't concentrate on studies and other things. I don't have any medical conditions I'm 19 years old. What is the reason for my issue. Please suggest me a remedy.
Respected sir, I am shaurya, as 23 years age hgt 5.9" but my wt are so less is 52 kg. So give me sugest about that, how can gain my weight and develop my body personality. Please help me.
Ayurveda acharyas recommend this sweet liquid in diseases which arise due to vitiation of raktha (blood) and pitta.
* fresh pure sugarcane juice is rich in natural sugars and minerals. It is an instant energizer and provides strength to the body.
- its medicinal properties get enhanced when mixed with juices of lemon and ginger.
- the juice of sugarcane exhibits laxative properties.
- it normalizes bowel movement and relieves constipation.
- sugarcane juice is heavy to digest and boosts moisture level of tissues.
- regular consumption of this juice increases body bulk.
- cane juice increases kapha and acts as diuretic.
- it is aphrodisiac and helps in conditions like erectile dysfunction, low sperm count, and low sperm motility.
- fresh pure sugarcane juice is rich in natural sugars and minerals.
- it is an instant energizer and provides strength to the body. Its medicinal properties get enhanced when mixed with juices of lemon and ginger.
- it helps to clean the kidneys and eases urine flow in conditions like cystitis, benign prostatic hypertrophy (bph) and urinary tract infections.
- fresh and hygienically extracted sugar cane juice helps in liver detoxification.
- it rejuvenates liver and helps in speedy recovery from jaundice.
Pregnancy brings with it a new set of additional responsibilities. The mother has to be extra vigilant about monitoring and caring for her health. This ensures that sufficient nutrition is being provided to the growing infant, at the same time, ensuring no harm comes to you. Listed below are some simple ways to do the same.
1. Prenatal care: As soon as you realize you are pregnant, it is advisable to talk to a doctor or a midwife about proper prenatal care. This could include anything and everything from prenatal vitamins to food habits to exercise to sleeping habits to periodic scanning and a number of other things that your doctor will prescribe.
2. Diet: You need to ensure two things that is you are eating enough for two people and everything is healthy and not harmful for the little one that gets all its nutrition through you. The diet should be healthy, nutritious, wholesome and of course free of junk. Some pointers to a healthy diet include:
a. Include a good amount of fruits and vegetables every day; break it into five small portions.
b. Sufficient amount of carbohydrates should be the basis of each meal.
c. Whole grains are preferred to white grains, which also give good amount of fiber.
d. A good amount of proteins including fish, eggs, meat, nuts, pulses, milk, and other dairy products.
e. Ensure adequate amount of iron, calcium, and other minerals are included in the diet.
f. Avoid eating unpasteurized dairy products, uncooked or undercooked food and smoked seafood.
g. While most vitamin requirements should be met through the diet, in some people, prenatal vitamins which provide the increased demands for folic acid.
3. Weight gain: If your weight was normal for your age and height before pregnancy, expect to add about 12 to 15 kg during your pregnancy. Consult with your doctor on weight changes and nutritional aspects to monitor weight throughout pregnancy. This could change based on if it is twins, your weight before pregnancy, and body type.
4. Exercise: Exercising during pregnancy is being increasingly encouraged for the following reasons:
a. Improved energy levels
b. Controls back pain
c. Improved sleep pattern
d. Improves constipation
e. Improves muscles strength and endurance
There are specific exercises designed to benefit the pregnant women. Whether it is walking or swimming aimed at improving overall health or Kegel exercises aimed at improving vaginal and perineal muscles, your doctor should be able to draw up a routine.
5. Lifestyle changes: With pregnancy setting in, it is time to bid goodbye to smoking and drinking alcohol. Continued smoking after onset of pregnancy has many serious complications, including growth retardation, low birth weight. Alcohol can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth and premature delivery.
These are simple ways to monitor and care for your and of course, the baby's health throughout pregnancy.
You are sitting in an office meeting and it has been a couple of hours since you have had your breakfast. Lunch looks like a long time away and you are trying hard to concentrate. But all of a sudden your stomach starts distracting you and makes noises calling out to you. Does this sound familiar to you?
The rumbling of our stomach has been a constant subject of studies for several scientists. In fact, 2,000 years ago, the Greeks coined a special name for it called Borborygmi. So, what’s with all the growling and rumbling.
What causes stomach rumbling?
The rumbling that you hear is related to the movement of food, liquid, digestive juices and air through your intestines. When your intestine is processing the food, your stomach may grumble and growl. When it is hungry and your stomach is empty, the rumbling noise is more audible and can be heard clearly.
The stomach digests the food through a process called peristalsis. The walls of the gastrointestinal tract that are made of muscles contract and move the food down the intestines. Peristalsis is responsible for the rumbling sound that you tend to hear when you are hungry.
Here is the exact process that occurs in your stomach:
- During the digestion process, the food along with the digestive juices, gas and air bubbles are pushed down through the digestive system.
- If you have food in your system that needs to be broken down, then the muscle contractions aids its movement. The presence of food can muffle the sound of movement and rumbling.
- But when it is empty, all you have in there is air or gas. The movement of air bubbles and gas is not absorbed and your stomach grumbles clearly.
Five ways to deal with it
So now that we know why our stomach growls, is there a way to control it? Here are five effective tips to keep the rumbling of your stomach under check.
- Mute the rumbling noise by eating small meals at regular intervals instead of a few large meals. Your digestive system will then have a lesser opportunity to create those loud noises of rumbling.
- Eat slowly and swallow less air.
- Stay away from high-fructose or high-sugar foods that tend to cause a lot of intestinal noise when it gets broken down in the system.
- Eat food that produces less gas.
- Try to take a small walk after heavy meals in order to aid digestion and keep your bowels moving, without excessive build-up of gas in your digestive system.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!