Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Yc GuptaYour feedback matters!
My father have Glaucoma in both eyes Right eye have 20 % vision Left eye have 70 % vision Is it operated with laser technology? Please advice.
How to improve my eye power Some of d doctors said me I should were the glass till my life ends But I don't like to were my glass is there any way to cure my problem.
My name is Imran and I have facing eye dryness problem and headache on my head and can't observe sunlight Can you please diagnose?
I have black spots as well as pimples on my face. I used scar removal cream for 8 months but didn, t see any change. What should I do.
My eye sight is weak (-1.75) and I am using spectacles from 7 years. I want to know that how can I improve my eye sight. Please Suggest some good diet and exercise for eyes. And also best eye drops and medicines for weak eyes.
Good evening. Meri eyes m problem ho rahi h .jab bji m mobile use krta hu. To aankh m dard hone lagta h.or baar baar jhabkni padti h aankh fir relif milta h. Eyes test karayi to doctor ne sahi btaya h.
Im 23 years old male. Im suffering from right eye lower lid twitching from many days. It goes and comes. I also have pain on my temple and back of my head and the pain also spreads to the other eye and the whole face and also to the upper teeth. I have no vision problem. It feels like there is a tight band put around my head. I also feel dizzy due to this. But the headache is not continuous, it comes when I get this eye twitching, I also have a stiff neck. Im suffering from sinusitis. I was wondering if these symptoms are because of sinusitis. Please help.
Age-related macular degeneration, also known in brief as AMD or ARMD is one of the most common age-related causes for vision loss. It causes “blind spots” in vision, causing difficulty in activities requiring central vision like reading, sewing, driving, watching TV, computer usage, etc.
How it happens?
The centre portion of the eye is known as retina which has a screen in the posterior portion. For proper vision, light falls on this screen and is then processed to enable ‘vision.’ When this screen is not clear, blurred vision results. It may not cause total blindness but impairs vision including double vision and loss of central vision.
Types: There are two types of AMD, wet and dry.
- Dry: There are yellow deposits known as drusen which form in the macula, and as they grow in size, they impair vision, specifically the central vision. This is the common variant and can lead to the wet form.
- Wet: There are abnormal blood vessels which are formed in the retina. There is leaking of blood and fluid which makes it ‘wet.’ There could be scarring of these leaked substances, which again leads to loss of central vision. Further studies have shown that retina produces a protein knows as vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) which promotes the generation of new blood vessels, normally required for the production of new blood vessels. However, increased VEGF causes excessive proliferation of blood vessels, leading to macular degeneration.
Risk factors: Though age related, there are definitely some factors which put one at a higher risk for AMD
- Genetics: AMD is hereditary and runs in families
- Gender: Females are more prone to develop AMD than males
- Ageing: People above 60 are at greater risk
- Smoking: Direct and passive smoking contribute to AMD.
- Obesity: Accelerates the pace of AMD and severity of complications.
- Hypertension: Increases the chances of developing AMD
- Ethnicity: Caucasians are more prone to develop AMD as their lighter skin and eye color is more prone to sun damage
- Sun exposure: Increased sun exposure accelerates the onset of AMD
- No symptoms in the initial stages
- Gradually, there is impaired central vision, affecting activities like reading, driving, and computer usage
- Color perception is impaired
- A routine eye exam will reveal the yellow deposits which actually cause the condition.
- An angiography may be done after injecting a dye to detect blood vessel growth.
There is no cure, but progress can be delayed
- Anti-angiotensin agents reduce pressure in the eyes and stop development of newer blood vessels
- Vitamins help slow down loss of vision
- Vision aids to correct vision