Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dermatologists in India. You will find Dermatologists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dermatologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Laser Hair Removal
Mole Removal Procedure
Skin Care Treatment
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Skin Diseases Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Wart Removal Technique
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Stretch Marks Treatment
Tattoo Removal Procedure
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Urvashi ChandraYour feedback matters!
Common skin condition (acne)
Most people develop acne - the most common skin condition - to some degree, but it primarily affects teenagers undergoing hormonal changes.
Acne may be
1) Mild (few, occasional pimples)
2) Moderate (inflammatory papules)
3) Severe (nodules and cysts)
Treatment depends on the severity of the condition.
What causes acne?
Acne is primarily a hormonal condition driven by male or ‘androgenic’ hormones, which typically become active during the teenage years. Sensitivity to such hormones, combined with bacteria on the skin, and fatty acids within oil glands, cause acne. Common sites for acne are the face, chest, shoulders, and back -- the sites of oil glands.
Acne lesions include whiteheads, blackheads, small bumps, and nodules and cysts.
How can acne be prevented?
To prevent acne and reduce its damage to your skin, follow these tips:
- Choose a cleanser specially formulated for acne. These products often contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, which help to clear acne sores.
- Clean your face gently, as trauma to the acne breakouts may worsen the acne or cause scarring. When washing your face, use your hands or cotton pads, as any terrycloth or other scrubbing material may cause acne sores to rupture.
- If you need to use a moisturizer, use only light, noncomedogenic moisturizers, which do not aggravate acne.
- If you are a woman, use an oil-free foundation. Heavy makeup or other cosmetic products that block pores may cause a flare-up of acne.