Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Samir ParikhYour feedback matters!
I have been suffering from love failure and this has lead to losing all my interest in everything and has also caused sleeplessness. I have no peace of mind. I feel I have reached to the stages of depression. What should I do?
I have a problem of depression, like misunderstanding with friends, girl friend, family pressure etc. Suggest please to tackle with the situation.
I have a business person, so many tension in my mind, last 1 yers from I can not sleep at night, I have continue headache, please give me suggestions for my problem, even I can't take any alcohol, drugs, smoking regularly.
Hello, dere is a big problem in my life. I can't concentrate on my career fr last 5-6yrs. I always feel tired, lazy, irritated. Nd evrytym I always feel demotivated. I really want to do something big in my life. But I couldn't started anything in my cursed life. Pllllzzzz doctor help me, I really wnt to achieve everything. But I don't know where to I start. Nd im little bit weak in studies. Thank you.
Depression is more than just feeling low or down. It is a serious illness that is caused by various changes in the brain chemistry. There are a lot of factors that cause depression, which range from genetics to change in hormone level, stress, grief, medical conditions and other life circumstances. All these can lead to depression and that is something which does not go away on its own. However, there are a few efficient ways through which patients can deal with depression. These are as follows:
- Exercise: Taking a brisk walk for fifteen to twenty minutes every day can be very healthy, not only for your body, but also for your mental health as well. Dancing, jogging, cycling and yoga are alternatives as well. Although, people who are depressed might not feel like doing any of those things, but one should try to do them anyway. Once a person gets into the exercising routine, they will start noticing the change in their mood. Deep breathing, yoga exercises and meditation can also help people feel better and less depressed.
- Anti-depressants: Three brain chemicals that are responsible for handling your mood are norepinephrine, serotonin and dopamine. During depression, the brain circuits that make use of these chemicals stop working properly. In this case, antidepressants can be very useful. These tweak the chemicals that run through the brain and help improve your overall mood.
- Psychotherapy: It is a method through which therapists find out a person’s everyday stressors. This therapy is a powerful treatment for depression. Combining psychotherapy with medications can be even better and more effective. This also makes the symptoms easier to take. When a person talks about his feelings and problems with a stranger, it can help him or her release certain amount of stress.
- Social support: Talking to a friend or attending group therapies has proven to be beneficial. However, it is important that the person you talk to is someone who you will feel comfortable around. Therefore, it could be someone you know or someone who empathises with you. This is possible either with your close ones or group therapies where the people you talk with, have been going through the same problem you have.
- Meditation: Calmness and meditation can help you channelize your positive energy and thoughts over the negative ones. It can help a person see new perspective, develop forgiveness and compassion. Much like exercise, meditating briefly can help you gain immediate effects. It helps a person get over depression. This happens over time. One might not be successful in releasing their stress at once. It is a process that takes time.
The treatment that you get for your depression will depend on the kind of depression that you have. Some might get psychotherapy while others might get antidepressants or for some, exercise could be enough.
Dear Sir I have been smoking cigarette from 1990 but on 2000 onwards continuously 2 pkts on every day & also habit to take cough syrup from engg college ie 1995 onward but not frequently so I would like to know about any specific tests which would I know the actual conditions of my heart, lungs n liver.
My father has bad habit of chewing tobacco and it is not good for his health. How can I help him to stop chewing tobacco? Is there any medicine? His health is getting weak now days.
Body dysmorphic disorder is a type of psychiatric disorder. It is when you cannot think about one or more defects or flaws in your appearance. These flaws are usually very minor and sometimes even unnoticeable. This is actually a much more serious disorder than many other people may think. This is because people with body dysmorphic disease may avoid many situations and also suffer from severe anxiety or shame. Here is everything you need to know about body dysmorphic disease.
Just like other psychiatric disorders, there is no known cause of body dysmorphic disease. However, there are a lot of factors, which increases your risk of developing it which include:
1. Brain disorders: Many people with abnormal brain chemistry disorders suffer from body dysmorphic disease.
2. Genes: People whose blood relatives have this disease or have obsessive compulsive disorder are more likely to develop this disorder as well.
3. Environment: Cultural and social influences are a major cause of body dysmorphic disorder as well.
There are, however a lot of symptoms of body dysmorphic disorder, most of which are psychological in nature. They include:
1. Having a preoccupation with a flaw in the body, which is very minor or perhaps even unnoticeable.
2. Beliefs that people are mocking you in relation to your flaw.
3. Being a perfectionist
It is also worth noting that this obsession can affect any part of the body and can also include several parts of the body or different parts of the body at different times. Here are the possible treatments of body dysmorphic disorder.
There are a variety of treatments, which a patient can opt for and a variety of methods of curing the problem. Here are the most common.
1. Cognitive behavioral therapy: This is when a therapist tries to stop you from thinking about the flaw that you have been focusing on way too much.
2. SSRI: SSRI stands for Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. They are given in cases, where body dysmorphic disorder is caused by problems related to the brain chemical serotonin.
3. Hospitalization: This is a severe measure, but may need to be taken if you are in danger of harming somebody or you cannot perform daily activities.
I have difficulty while speaking. The words that I say becomes unclear for other. I feel more saliva comes from the glands and causes my speech difficult to understand. Does have anything to do with lack of drinking water or a lack confidence I don't go for the latter case because it happens during a casual talk.
I am suffering from panic attacks frm last 2 months. I have been taken lc tablets but they have no effect. What to do.?
You may face stress and anxiety in life because of innumerable reasons, starting from job-related stress to personal stress. Stress is capable of causing great distress, which may hamper your daily activities, your thinking and your entire life in general. It is essential for you to identify the cause of stress and anxiety and then adopt ways to cope with it.
Here are some important tips for busting stress and anxiety:
- Keep active: Exercise does not eliminate stress, but it helps in reducing its intensity. Your thoughts will be cleared and you will be able to deal with your problems better.
- Take control: Remember that every problem has a solution. If you are passive about it and think about the negative side, your stress is bound to shoot up. You cannot afford to lose control over your thoughts and actions. Instead, try to take control over the situation and be optimistic.
- Connect with people: Instead of isolating yourself during situations of great stress and anxiety, connecting with your friends, family and colleagues will ease your troubles. You may come across a new perspective or a new approach. If you do not connect with the people who matter, you will not have their support when you really need it. By talking about your problem, you may find solutions and get suggestions as well.
- Spend time with yourself: We all like to do certain things, but cannot make it possible because of work pressure and other demands in life. It is important for you to take some time off for yourself and do the things you enjoy. This will lighten you up, make you happy and is a good vent for stress and anxiety.
- Set challenges for yourself: In order to build confidence, you must set some goals and challenges for yourself to accomplish. This is ideal for coping with stress and anxiety.
- Abstain from unhealthy habits: Do not rely on alcohol, caffeine and cigarettes as a way of coping with stress. Although this is a common thing all around the world, these do not actually solve your troubles. They keep on creating more problems and hence try to keep away from them. You may get temporary relief, but in the long run, you have to solve the underlying cause of your stress.
- Help other people: It is evident that people who help others in need through volunteering, community work or any other way get resilient. If you help people who are in situations far worse than you, your problems will be put in the right perspective. Try to help people out in every little way.
You need to maintain a positive mindset instead of breaking down or losing it. Acceptance is a very important part of busting stress and anxiety.