Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Rheumatologists in India. You will find Rheumatologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Rheumatologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rajkumari Bhagati Dar
Submit a review for Dr. Rajkumari Bhagati DarYour feedback matters!
If you are suffering from arthritis, it is important for you to know about how it affects your knee and other joints. Arthritis is a chronic, systematic inflammatory disease which damages your joints and connective tissues. Your knee is commonly affected by arthritis and there are three primary types of arthritis that occur in the knees. They include osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and post-traumatic arthritis.
Types of arthritis
The different types of arthritis affecting the knees occur due to different reasons. Osteoarthritis is a progressive condition, which wears away the joint cartilage over time. Rheumatoid arthritis is an inflammatory condition, which may occur at any age. Post-traumatic arthritis occurs after an injury is inflicted to the knee and may occur several years after a ligament injury or knee fracture.
- Arthritis pain may occur all of a sudden but develops slowly. In the early stages, the pain is observed in the morning after you have been inactive over the night. Pain is likely when you want to move around. Pain may be experienced even when immobile.
- Periodic inflammation is a common symptom of arthritis of the knee. This happens because of the formation of bone spurs or excess fluids in your knee. The swelling gets pronounced after being inactive for a long period. The skin on your knee may look red and feel warm while you touch it. This may lead to chronic inflammation, which is very difficult to manage.
There are several ways of treating knee arthritis. The mode of treatment depends on the severity and cause of knee arthritis. NSAIDS or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are commonly prescribed for dealing with arthritis pain temporarily. Other medicines used for knee arthritis treatment are as follows:
- Analgesics, which help in pain reduction act as good alternatives to NSAIDS.
- Corticosteroids are used for reducing inflammation.
- Certain DMARDs or disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs are used.
Certain injections that are used for helping with knee arthritis. They include:
- Hyaluronic acid supplements, which ease the pain and inflammation by lubricating your knee joints.
- Corticosteroid injections also soothe inflammation and pain.
You may also require a surgery for dealing with knee arthritis when other modes of treatment fail. The most common surgeries are as follows:
- Total joint replacement, where your knee is replaced with a prosthetic made of metal, plastic or ceramic.
- Osteotomy, where the knee bones are modified for controlling pressure and damage in the knees.
- Arthroscopy, where an incision is made in the knee for removing damaged parts.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
My mother is 76 years old and having knee pain one Dr. Suggested replacement but we do not want replacement any other solution pls. Let me know. Thanks.
Sir mere Jo knee h wo inside thoda bend h or knee k niche (below) k Jo legs h wo outside h. How to solve this problem?
Every arthritis is not the same. While osteoarthritis, also called as green arthritis, may require only painkillers and rehabilitation exercises, the red inflammatory arthritis called rheumatoid arthritis may lead to serious deforming complications if not treated early and aggressively.
Any arthritis in young women of child-bearing age should not be ignored, especially if it is worse in the morning and improves by movement. Most of them will have high platelet count on blood examination. These patients require aggressive treatment with disease?modifying drugs within days of the onset of symptoms and diagnosis. Approximately 1?2% of population may have this type of disease.
Osteoarthritis, on the other hand, is a disease of 50+ age group and is due to wear and tear of various joints in the body and break down of the cartilage cushion in the joints. It mainly affects the weight?bearing joints like the knees, hips, neck and lower back joints. Inflammation is not a major feature of osteoarthritis. The experts said that another form of joint disorder is due to gout which is never seen in people below 40 years of age and is almost never seen in young women before the onset of menopause unless there is a known underlying kidney disease and never seen in children.
The progression of osteoarthritis can be arrested with appropriate exercises, weight reduction and preventing posture and movement that worsen the disease.
Typical wear and tear of osteoarthritis is caused by sitting cross legged, doing Padmasana, squatting, other non physiological postures, sitting on low level surface like floor and low chairs, doing push-ups, going up and down on stairs, etc.
Most yoga postures should be done under medical supervision and should follow with a counter yoga exercise.
Most patients of serious arthritis end up taking treatment in other systems of medicines or with quacks.
I am suffering from severe insomnia for the last 15 years. Please give me remedy and save my life. I am only 36 years old.
I am 26year guy, I am getting too much pain in my knees from last few days, suggest me reasons for this and it's treatment.
Movement of the human body is possible through various joints which work in coordination to allow for smooth painless movement. However, with age, these muscles and tendons undergo wear and tear which gradually leads to tender swollen joints and painful movement.
The knee is the largest human joint and most of the body movements (walking, running, squatting, sitting, etc.) are only possible because of the flexible knee cap. Whether with age or with injury or trauma, if the knee is affected, then total knee replacement (TKR) would be required.
Indications: With a success rate of almost 98%, knee replacement almost seems magical for arthritis patients.
Wear and tear of the knee leading to arthritis. This causes all knee movements to be painful, which can be especially distressing at night.
Injury or trauma where the knee joint is damaged beyond repair.
What to expect during surgery?
- Once it is decided that surgery is required, the doctor will brief you on what to expect before, during, and after the surgery.
- The operation is done under combined signal epidural anaesthesia, so 3 days admission is required in the hospital.
- The damaged portion of the knee is removed and this is replaced with an implant which is made up of titanium and cobalt chromium.
- Hospital stay can vary from 3 to 5 days depending on overall condition of the person.
- Most patients will be able to do basic movement on the very next day of the surgery.
- Ice pack and painkillers can be applied to control swelling.
- The pain will be completely gone within 15 days.
- In the beginning, walking with the support of parallel bars is advised (walker). This can be followed by the use of cane for the first few days to avoid overload and damage to the knees.
- Most people can walk the next day, though it is advisable to use a cane for the first few weeks so that knee can strengthen to support the load.
- Regular postoperative visits should be scheduled for up to 2 months after surgery.
- In addition, it is extremely important to draw up an exercise regimen and follow it to sustain and improve mobility.
- In the absence of regular exercise, there could be stiffness of the joint which can set in and further aggravate the situation
- Driving is permissible only after the doctor's advice.
Let your doctor know before going for any surgical procedure (including dental work) as people with TKR should have antibiotic coverage before any procedure.
Hi. I'm suffering from insomnia from 5 years. I have consulted many doctors but it became worse. I stopped medicine's from 6 months. I'm sleeping 3-4 hours. But from 1 week I'm not sleeping at all. Please suggest me some natural way.
Here are some problems related to joint and knee
Impact of Overweight on Joint and Knee
Hi! I’m Lokendra Tomar. I’m Weight loss and Wellness Coach.
I believe in sharing true knowledge so that you can take care of your own health and you become your own doctor.
If you are having a problem of joint pain, knee pain, back pain, and you are overweight then, this is a double trouble for you because you cannot exercise and without exercise when you are eating you’ll gain weight.
One of the most important reasons for this joint pain and the back pain is acidic environment in the body and what is this acidic environment – when you eat more of the acidic food.
If you divide food into two categories –
there are foods which are alkaline in nature and there are foods which are acidic in nature. Grains, sugar, processed food, non-veg, even a processed beverages, alcoholic nonalcoholic even those packed juices they are acidic in nature. Fruits, vegetables, dry fruits, nuts, fats and oil, they are all alkaline in nature. So, if you are eating more of the acidic food then, your body becomes acidic then, your bone loses calcium and magnesium, they loses their strength which leads to the acidic environment and which leads to the weaker bones which leads to the pain in the bone. So, if you are having pains in the joint and you are willing to lose weight you have to follow an alkaline diet that means you strictly avoid those grain based food, those animal based food and you go on more of a vegetable based food so, eat more of the vegetables, fruits, nuts, and fats and oil and one single alkaline drink which can help you a lot in losing 8 to 10 kgs in three months.Let me tell you a secret formula of alkaline drink is take a glass of water, squeeze a lemon, add a little amount of baking soda into it. Drink this twice a day and you’ll lose 8 to 10 kgs in just three months.