Lybrate.com has top trusted General Surgeons from across India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Surgeons online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Raj Kumar Jain
Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Raj Kumar JainYour feedback matters!
There are so many skin conditions one has to deal with in day to day lives, two of them being fungal skin infection and scalp infection. These could be a result of poor hygiene, weather change or result of an underlying illness. Given the fact that skin comes in contact with the external environment, it sometimes becomes impossible to prevent ourselves from them. The most commonly infected areas are the skin, scalp, and nails.
The possible causes of these infections include:
- Human contact: When you come in contact with another infected person
- Indirectly: The fungus reaches your system through infected objects or articles which could be shared or used by an infected person
- Shared areas like showers and bathrooms are also a cause
The most common fungal and scalp infections are described below.
- Scalp: Fungal infections of the scalp begin as a small bump and can cause itching, hair fall, and a patch of baldness. This condition is known as tinea capitis and produces ring-like patches on the scalp. The underlying skin could be exposed too, causing regrowth of hair difficult. This should be treated with a course of topical and/or systemic antifungal medications. In severe cases, hair transplant may be required to cover the bald patches. The follicles can also be affected, a condition known as folliculitis, which impairs hair growth. Dandruff which is extremely common is also caused by a fungus.
- Beard: A poorly maintained beard can also have tinea capitis and fungal infections. There could be bald patches on the beard and poor quality of hair. There could also be flaking of the skin. The patch on the skin could be red, scaly, and crusted.
- Toenails and fingernails: With the nails, two problems can occur. The nailbeds could be affected and also the space between the toes can be affected. This is very common in people who walk barefoot and also in people who are often in moist environments.
Diagnosis: Most of these conditions can be diagnosed by a clinician by examination. In some cases, pieces of the hair, nail, or scalp for microscopic examination and to find out the actual organism causing the infection. This can help in giving the right antifungal treatment.
Treatment: In most cases, antifungal treatment is effective. Topical and/or systemic therapy is used depending on the severity and the actual organism causing the infection.
In some people, for instance, immunocompromised, the person could be on chronic low-dose therapy.
- Do not allow children to play in unclean areas
- If someone is infected, take precautions like washing hands, not sharing towels, not sharing cosmetics, etc.
- Be cautious about who is involved in children’s care, be it at home or at school. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.