Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Reduced Vision Treatment
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Treatment of Squint
Visual Field Testing
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Diabetic Retinopathy Lasers
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Laser Refractive Surgery
Laser Cataract Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Nita GurhaYour feedback matters!
A red eye is one of the first and most common symptoms of conjunctivitis. Conjunctivitis is the inflammation of the tissue that lies over the white part of the eye and lines the inner side of the eyelid. It is usually the result of a viral infection and can easily spread from one person to another. Conjunctivitis can also be a symptom of STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) like Gonorrhea or Chlamydia. In newborns, conjunctivitis can be vision threatening, while in grownups it is not considered a serious health risk. The symptoms of conjunctivitis differ according to the cause of the infection.
Some common symptoms of conjunctivitis are:
- Green or white discharge from the eye
- Redness of the white part of the eye
- Inflammation of the eyelid
- Waking up to crusted yellow discharge
- Itchiness and burning in the eyes
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Blurred vision
An eye examination and testing a sample of the fluid secreted by the eye can be used to diagnose conjunctivitis. It can easily be treated at home and does not require hospitalization. Antibiotics are often given in the form of eye drops and ointments to treat conjunctivitis. These usually need to be applied 3 to 4 times a day for a period of 5 to 6 days. Wash your eyes before putting the eye drops. Once applied, close your eyes and roll the eyeball around to distribute the medicine and keep it from overflowing out of the eye. Wash your hands immediately after applying the eye drops.
Viral conjunctivitis is highly contagious. If you are suffering from it, you should take a few days off work and restrict your social interactions. Wash your hands frequently as you may unconsciously rub your eyes. This is especially important with regards to meals and finger foods. Also, avoid sharing towels, pillowcases, etc. to minimize the transmission of the disease from one person to another.
Avoid using makeup while being treated for conjunctivitis. With conjunctivitis, the eye is more sensitive to irritants and thus, a speck of makeup can worsen the situation. Also avoid contacts. If you wear contacts regularly, dispose the current set and start using a fresh set after your doctor gives you a clean chit.
Artificial tears or non prescription eye drops can also be used to relieve the itchiness and burning in the infected eye. If only one eye had been affected by conjunctivitis, do not use the same eye drop bottle for both eyes. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ophthalmologist.
My eyes got red and itching. But my pupils not stick to each other when I wake up in the morning. I consulted with the doctor 3 days before. She told me that it is eye allergy and prescribed me 'CROMAL' eye drops. Still it improved nothing. Please help what to do.
This is a condition which can be caused in the delicate folds of the skin over the eye called the eyelid. The eyelids usually protect us from extreme light, and the entrance of other debris as well as against injuries to the delicate interiors of the eyes. The eyelid may get irritated or experience varied sensations like prickling, burning or itching, with a dull ache or sharp pain due to many reasons. This discomfort and irritation is usually caused by inflammation. Let us learn more about this condition.
- Eyelid Inflammation: Blepharitis or eye inflammation is a condition that causes eyelid irritation because of allergic reactions as well as infections, dandruff in the eyelashes and eyebrows, pollutants and varied other causes. Also, poor hygiene can lead to the growth of eyelash lice which can also enter the eyes and lead to inflammation and irritation of the eyelids. A malfunctioning oil gland can also cause this kind of problem along with side effects of certain kinds of medication.
- Types of Inflammation: This condition can be of two types :- anterior and posterior. Anterior eye inflammation causes irritation in that part of the eyelids which are outside the eyes where the eyelashes are situated. Dandruff and allergic reactions can also cause this kind of irritation. Posterior eyelid inflammation is a condition that can be found in the inner rims and corners of the eyes where malfunctioning oil glands found in the follicles of the eyelashes can cause this problem leading to blurry or cloudy vision as well.
- Symptoms: Apart from irritation and not being able to close the eyes properly, there are many other symptoms of this condition. These symptoms include sensitivity to glares of light, oily eyelids, burning and itching sensation, and a feeling that some particles have entered your eyes and formed a crust on your eyelashes.
- Checking for an Infection: Many of these symptoms can point at the presence of an infection, especially when accompanied by fever and headaches. Yet, irritation can also just be a cause of simple inflammation or due to the entry of a foreign body into the eye. Still, it is always best to get the symptoms checked by an ophthalmologist who will conduct a detailed eye exam along with lab tests based on blood samples in order to ensure that there is no bacterium or virus infecting the body.
- Treatment: Steroids and antibiotics will be used only when there is an infection. As a home remedy for this condition, you can apply a warm wash cloth and clean your eyes frequently.
Talk to your doctor about potential complications of this irritation like eyelash loss.
Infection is generally understood as the invasion into the body tissues of an organism by certain foreign bodies such as bacteria, parasite, and virus. They are transmissible diseases like Viral fever, Cough, cold, Gastroenteritis, Dysentery, etc. and can be transmitted from one person to the other via sneezing, coughing or physical contact. They can be mild, moderate or severe.
- They can be acute, that is, can last for a short time, or chronic that lasts for a long time, or a latent infection that may not cause any symptoms at first but reactivates and resurfaces over a period of time.
- Although each infection has its own distinct symptom. Generally, these symptoms include fever, swelling, redness, inflammation, burning, cough, diarrhea, fatigue, muscular pain, nausea, vomiting, rapid pulse or rapid breathing.
- If the patient has a severe headache, difficulty in breathing, painful swelling and unexplained prolonged fever or cough, he or she should immediately consult a doctor.
Conventional drugs that are given to treat infections like antibiotics, antiviral, antihistamines and steroids have many side effects on the human body. They, on one hand, hamper the digestive power of the system and on the other hand lower the immunity power of the body. In the long run, these medicines can have adverse effects on the body. Though conventional drugs suppress the disease for some time, the disease tends to resurface in the future.
However, Homeopathy has been found to be of great success in treating both acute and chronic infections. The best part is that, there is no side effect. Homeopathy also boosts our immune system so that the body naturally develops the strength to fight against infections in future, when foreign bodies invade. Homeopathic medicines have also proved to be effective as preventive measures against infections.
Most of the Homeopathy medicines are prescribed on the basis of symptoms observed. So, Homeopathic medicines are prescribed, even before the definitive diagnosis is made. Thus, the time saved prevents the infection from spreading, and the patient is automatically cured rapidly.