Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pulmonologists in India. You will find Pulmonologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pulmonologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Management of Smoking Cessation
Asthma Management Program
Lower/Upper Respiratory Tract Infection Treatment
Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Asthma Treatment & Management
I am suffering from dry cough for the last two weeks and I have a chest pain whenever I cough hard. Can you suggest what should I done?
Hi I am undergoing mdr tuberculosis treatment for last 3 years and still have to take medicines for next 2 years. I do cough rarely but no felgum comes out. I feel n urge to have sex sometime. Is it safe to have sex with wife. And if she gets pregnant then will my baby have tb too. Pls guide and suggest if any reports needs to be taken. Pls explain in details. Thank you.
For the last 5 years I am having panting /breathing problem what is the remedy for that. Recently I had ecg and echo cardiogram and it is perfectly ok. I am 76 years old.
Sir I have been taking treatment for last six months of TB. I missed the tablet of R-cinex 600 in early morning before breakfast. But I took it very soon after break fast and then after half an hour take routine combutol 1200 mg. So there will be any problem?
What are the symptoms of lung cancer? How can I overcome the lung cancer? I was suffering from cough over a month!
I have cough from last 5days and have developed headache from yesterday. What could be the possible causes?
I have tonsillitis in my throat from 6 months. I have taken many medicine but like allopathy as well as homeopathy but no one was helpful for me. What should I do?
I have a sinus problem am struggling for lot of days and also I had surgery also after that also I didn't found any differences.
My father facing a breathing problem for past 3 years. He used to smoke from his child hood, hope for 20 years he is smoking. Now he stopped it. Since a chain smoker can't leave it he is taking half citrate per day. I need to know is there any diet regarding respiratory problem He is taking daily montelukast sodium and levocetirizine hydrochloride tablet. Company Montek Lc. Kindly suggest what could be done.
I can't sleep at night with lights off. Sometimes I feel very hard in breathing at night? please help me out.
I am a student and I have problem in throat. When I want to speak it gets coughed. Is there any way to get a clean throat.
I am 29 years old and I am smoker. I have asthma since last 3 years. Can you give me suggestion what can I do?
I am suffering from dry cough for 2 weeks back. I have chest pain when I cough hard. Can you suggest good treatment plz.
The lungs are made of tubes through, which air passes in and out for exchange of gases, taking in alveoli. It is a disease of alveoli to which finer air conducting tubes are attached. Over a period of time, with age and exposure to various agents, these tubules get obstructed. The amount of air that can pass through these is reduced, leading to reduced oxygen supply to the lungs and thereby the various body organs.
The symptoms of COPD can be easily understood if we realize how COPD is caused. The progressive blockage of the air tubes causes less oxygen to reach the tissues, which is the most essential agent for all tissues and organs to function. Reduced supply produces a generalized limitation in physical activity. There are two main components to COPD - chronic bronchitis and emphysema. The symptoms indicative of COPD are as follows:
- Chronic cough: Also referred to as smoker's cough, the cough is relentless and does not subside with regular cough treatment. This is one of the first indications of COPD.
- Mucus buildup: There is constant buildup of mucus which gets expelled during coughing. The person never feels completely clear of mucus, and the regular cough expectorants do not help relieve the symptoms.
- Fatigue associated with limited activity: As noted earlier, the reduced capacity of the organs limits their activities. Therefore, regular activities like walking short distances or climbing stairs can induce fatigue.
- Shortness of breath: The above fatigue is associated with shortness of breath, even with small physical exertion. A person with COPD will see marked tiredness and reduced ability to perform routine chores and feel a tightness in the chest.
- Wheezing: Passage of air through the obstructed air tubes produces a whistling sound or wheezing. It is more pronounced when there is mucus accumulation in the airways.
Rarely, Frequent respiratory infections, more frequent flu attacks, swelling of the feet and ankles, cardiovascular disease, weight loss, and morning headaches.
While there is no cure for COPD, once it sets, the following are some ways to slow its progression and reduce severity of the symptoms:
- Bronchodilators: Dilate the air tubes and ease flow of air
- Corticosteroids: Help reduce inflammation and thereby improve airflow through the tubes
- Flu vaccination: Helps curb the frequent flu attacks
- Antibiotics: To contain infections
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: A combination of breathing exercise and patient education to improve lung function.
- Oxygen therapy: In very severe cases, oxygen may be required.
- Lifestyle changes: Eating healthy foods, preventing exposure to dust and smoke, quitting smoking, breathing exercises, bi-annual medical check-ups to monitor lung functions are essential.
Knowing that you have COPD is the first step towards managing COPD, which can be managed effectively.