Doctor in Tiwari Eye Clinics
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Tiwari Eye ClinicsYour feedback matters!
While red bloodshot eyes may look worrisome at first sight, it is not a cause for concern all the time. There are benign, short-lasting bouts that will disappear on their own to serious medical reasons that could require intervention.
Listed below are some common causes and ways to manage red eyes :
The most common cause of red or pink eye is conjunctivitis- infection of the membrane covering the sclera. The blood vessels are irritated and give the eye a red hue. This is contagious and very common in children, needs to be treated with antibiotic drops based on the cause.
Be it pollen, dust, dander, or some chemicals, the eyes could be sensitive to it and get inflamed and take on a red colour. This can be treated with a combination of prevention by avoiding exposure to the allergen (which causes the allergy) and some antihistamine drops if required.
3) Contact lenses
Extended or improper use of contact lenses is the main reason for red eyes in contact lens users. There is reduced lubrication, increased accumulation of dust and microbes if the lens are not removed at frequent intervals. Removal of the lens and visit to the doctor are important for managing this.
4) Computer Vision Syndrome
With people spending a large amount of time staring at computer screens and tablets and phone screens, the dryness in the eyes increases, thereby leading to red eyes. The reduced blinking when working on computers also affects the condition. It is therefore very important to take conscious breaks to stare away from the monitors and use special glasses if required. In some cases, eye drops may also be required.
5) Occupational Hazard
For people working outdoors, conditions such as dust, heat, smoke, and dry air increase the chances of red eyes. Reducing exposure as much as possible and use of protective eyewear is extremely essential.
The tear glands produce a constant source of lubrication for the eyes and also cleanse the eyes from the minute dust particles and other irritants. For various reasons, the tears produced may not be sufficient and can lead to red eyes. Artificial tear substitute could be used for managing this.
If it persists for more than 2 days, is painful, associated with discharge or sensitivity to light, it is important to seek medical help, especially if associated with injury or trauma. If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult.'
--> A condition in which close objects appear clearly, but far ones don't.
--> People with myopia can have difficulty clearly seeing a movie or tv screen or the whiteboard in school.
Myopia symptoms and signs:-
If you are nearsighted, you typically will have difficulty reading road signs and seeing distant objects clearly, but will be able to see well for close-up tasks such as reading and computer use.
Other signs and symptoms of myopia include squinting, eye strain and headaches. Feeling fatigued when driving or playing sports also can be a symptom of uncorrected nearsightedness.
If you experience these signs or symptoms while wearing your glasses or contact lenses, schedule a comprehensive eye examination with your optometrist or ophthalmologist to see if you need a stronger prescription.
What causes myopia?
Myopia occurs when the eyeball is too long, relative to the focusing power of the cornea and lens of the eye. This causes light rays to focus at a point in front of the retina, rather than directly on its surface.
Nearsightedness also can be caused by the cornea and/or lens being too curved for the length of the eyeball. In some cases, myopia is due to a combination of these factors.
Myopia typically begins in childhood and you may have a higher risk if your parents are nearsighted. In most cases, nearsightedness stabilizes in early adulthood but sometimes it continues to progress with age.
Nearsightedness can be corrected with glasses, contact lenses or refractive surgery. Depending on the degree of your myopia, you may need to wear your glasses or contact lenses all the time or only when you need very clear distance vision, like when driving, seeing a chalkboard or watching a movie.
Good choices for eyeglass lenses for nearsightedness include high-index lenses (for thinner, lighter glasses) and anti-reflective coating. Also, consider photochromic lenses to protect your eyes from UV and high-energy blue light and to reduce your need for a separate pair of prescription sunglasses outdoors.
If you're nearsighted, the first number (" sphere") on your eyeglasses prescription or contact lens prescription will be preceded by a minus sign (–). The higher the number, the more nearsighted you are.
The advantage of homeopathic treatment:-
Homeopathy is a wonderful science of treatment with medicines made from natural substances. These medicines are safe from toxic side-effects and make a dynamic impact at the root level to heal the condition and restore good health. A major advantage of the homeopathic mode of treatment in myopia is that it stops further progression of the condition. Homeopathic medicines can thus provide supportive treatment in myopia. They are equally effective in persons of all age groups.
Homeopathic medicines for myopia:-
Top grade homeopathic medicines for myopia are pysostigma, Ruta, Viola odorata, oleum animale, and phosphorus.
- Pysostigma - Pysostigma is well indicated for nearsightedness which is progressing rapidly, accompanied by pain in the orbits. The person experiences photophobia along with blurred vision. Spasm of the ciliary muscle, irritability of the eyes and dim vision are treated best with pysostigma.
- Ruta - Ruta is one the most suitable homeopathic medicines for myopia with a severe headache. The person experiences pain while reading, sewing and performing other near-sighted activities. The weakness of the ciliary muscles and blurred vision are the signs to look out for prescription of Ruta. Ruta acts very well for eyestrain occurring from overuse of eyes.
- Viola Odorata - Another of the useful homeopathic medicines for myopia is viola odorata. Myopia, where it is accompanied by severe pain in the eyes, is treated most effectively with homeopathic medicine viola odorata. In such cases, the person complains of severe pain in the eyes which radiates to the top of the head (vertex). The heaviness of the eyelids, flames before the eyes and nearsightedness are other symptoms that merit use of Viola odorata
- Oleum Animale - Oleum animale is one of the most wonderful homeopathic medicines for myopia where the symptoms include blurred vision with smarting in the eyes. The person often sees glistening bodies before his eyes and complains of dim vision. Nearsightedness accompanied by twitching of the eyelids is also treated well with homeopathic medicine oleum animale.
- Phosphorus - Phosphorus is one of the most highly recommended homeopathic medicines for myopia. Fatigue of the eyes and head even when the eyes are not being overused is a key symptom for prescription of phosphorus. It is one of the best indicated homeopathic medicines for myopia with weak eyesight and an aversion to light. A feeling of having sand in the eyes which gets better by rubbing may also be present. Frequent itching in the eyes with profuse lachrymation is also present. Nearsightedness with atrophy of optic nerve is treated well with homeopathic medicine phosphorus as well.