Lumbar disc prolapse causes severe back pain and radiates down to one or both legs below the knee. MRI shows exact problem. After basic pain killers - rest for a week, do some physiotherapy if pain persists, a pain management specialist is needed. He will see the possibility of a root block at the nerve affected by disc prolapse. If severe degree of prolapse, endoscopic discectomy under local anesthesia is best as a day care and minimally invasive procedure.The patient usually is discharged in 12-24 hrs.
When you cant eat fresh, eat frozen. Depending on where you live and what time of year it is, you cant always get your hands on high-quality fresh produce. Keep this in mind: frozen is fine. Manufacturers freeze frozen fruits and veggies at peak ripeness, which means they will pack a similar nutritional value as their fresh counterparts. Just choose plain frozen foods rather than those with added sugars or sodium.
Keep healthy in winter by including plenty of these 5 foods in your diet. Although there are fewer foods that are in winter season than in summer. Here are 5 of the healthiest winter foods you should be eating.
1. Pomegranates - Chances are you have tasted pomegranates in their newly popular juice form. And from a heart-health perspective, thats probably a good thing. Pomegranate juice is rich in antioxidants (more so than other fruit juices), just a cup daily might help to keep free radicals from oxidizing ldl bad cholesterol, according to a preliminary study in the american journal of clinical nutrition. Oxidized ldl contributes to plaque buildup in the arteries. Another study showed that drinking pomegranate juice might improve blood flow in the heart in people with myocardial ischemia, a serious condition in which the hearts oxygen supply is compromised because the arteries leading to it are blocked.
2. Dark leafy greens - Dark leafy greens, such as kale, chard and collards, thrive in the chill of winter when the rest of the produce section looks bleak. In fact, a frost can take away the bitterness of kale. These greens are particularly rich in vitamins A, C and K. Collards, mustard greens and escarole are also excellent sources of folate, important for women in childbearing age.
3. Citrus - Citrus fruits, including lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruit, are at their juiciest in the wintertime and can add sunshine to the dreary winter. Citrus fruits are loaded with vitamin, one medium orange delivers more than 100 percent of your daily dose. Citrus fruits are also rich sources of flavonoids. The predominant flavonoid in these fruits hesperidin is credited with boosting good hdl cholesterol and lowering bad ldl cholesterol and triglycerides.
4. Potatoes - Potatoes sometimes get a bad rap for being a white starch, thrown into the same category as white rice or white bread. But unlike those other starches, which have indeed been stripped of healthful nutrients, potatoes are foods that contain several beneficial nutrients. They are an excellent source of two immunity boosters .vitamins C and B6, delivering 25% and 29% of your daily needs per medium potato, respectively. They are also a good source of folate, which is especially important for women in childbearing age, and they deliver fiber (4 grams in a medium potato, women need 25 grams daily and men need 38 grams). If you can find purple potatoes, you will get an added health boon as they are rich in anthocyanins antioxidants that are linked to a host of health benefits, from lowering cancer and heart disease risk to quelling inflammation.
5. Winter squash - There are many varieties of winter squash including butternut, acorn, delicata and spaghetti squash and they all are excellent choices in the winter. One cup of cooked winter squash has few calories (around 80) but is high in both vitamin a (214 percent of the recommended daily value) and vitamin c (33 percent), as well as being a good source of vitamins B6 and K, potassium and folate.
The human body, a product of millions of years of evolution was built for movement, for activity, speed and precision. However, over the last few centuries, civilization has made our requirements to move much less than it was necessary for our ancestors. Our body is the same as it was millions of years ago, but the modifications in our lifestyle devoid of any physical activity has taken their toll. This is leading to increased incidents of back pain because of abnormal stresses on our spine. Back pain is an affliction which affects about 80% of population at one point or another in their lifetime and sadly the indications are that the incidents keep rising.With advanced technology, fewer physical complaints were to be expected, but this is not so. In fact, even today primitive races like aborigines in Australia suffer far less from back pain then, the so - called civilized races. Therefore, greater mobility and physical fitness is the hall mark in preventing back problems. There are over 100 expected causes of low back pain and many more incidents where the cause cannot be found out. But the most common cause of back pain is the wear and tear of the structures constituting the spine and this is mostly due to abnormal use of back and poor posture.The information given below helps to prevent and reduce the incidents of back pain.
Good posture - The most important way to prevent back aches, good posture, can be defined as any position which allows good use of the body for a specific task and is comfortable for as long as the position is held. Even though bad posture may not cause any discomfort, continuous poor posture will result in long term cause .
Back Posture in standing - Stay slim so that abnormal forces are not put on the spine. If you stand or walk a lot, low heeled shoes are necessary to maintain the proper curve at the small of your back.
Sitting - Choose a chair of the correct height. Feet should be supported on the floor comfortably and should not be dangling. Sit in a chair with proper support for the normal curves of your back. Choose a chair with arm rests. The arm rests should not be too high or low. Reading stance or computer monitor should be at such a height that you do not have to bend to the front or sidevise to do your work.
Lying - The bed should be firm with good mattress and not swinging or slouching because that will spoil the normal curve of the back. Use a single good pillow. It does not matter whether you lie on your back while sleeping or on your side. Sometimes it is comfortable for the back to put a pillow below the knees while lying down.
Driving - Driving seat should support the back properly. If there is a gap in between two back and the seat, it should be filled with small cushion or one can use a back rest. Seated properly, your knee should be higher than your hips. If your job demands long hours of driving on a regular basis, then it is a good idea to break the journey after half an hour to one hour drive, take a little exercise to relieve the stress and restart driving. When getting out of the car, swivel your whole body towards the door rather than suddenly jerking it. Slide your feet on to the ground and then get out.
Lifting - One should follow the principles underlined below: As you approach, relax your knees. Lowering movement should start at the knees and not at the head. After bending your knee get close to the object to be lifted ; almost sit down on the floor keeping the feet apart. One foot should be a little ahead of the other .Lift the object gradually, smoothly and without jerking, keeping the object close to the body and keeping the back straight although not necessarily vertical. Gradually get up without twisting the back, if the load is too heavy get help Pulling or pushing -When pulling or pushing any object - keep the back straight, bend at the hips and knees using your legs rather than your arms or back. Pushing is easier on your back than pulling, so push it if you have a choice.
Fitness -If you are not fit then you are much more likely to damage your back as it will not be as flexible as it should be.
Mobility - Good posture is not possible without a mobile spine and muscle tone. Joints must be moved to keep them. Mobile and the muscles, both the abdominal and back must be used to keep them strong. Back exercises if done once a day, will maintain essential flexibility of the spine and the necessary muscle strength to help to prevent injury.
People consider Phobia as fear. In all the feelings, fear is playing the most place in our life from childhood to old age. The feeling of fear may disturb the entire life situations. Fear means at one or two situations only. When the situation is gone, then we get normal with the fear. Fear has reasons, but with Phobia there is no reason. Phobia means unknown and unexplainable and unable to convince others. But it suffers much more than normal fear. Phobias are like anthrophobia, thenatophobia, hydrophobia, nyctophobia,clustrophobia, pathophobia etc. Some body cannot recognize themselves as they have psychological disorder. Recently people have awareness on psychological aspects. Recently they come with the help of psychologist. It seems to be simple but sometimes it disturbs total life situations in a critical time moment. When we are not taking one decision in one movement of life. Sometimes, it may effect all the total life situations because of internal frustration and tension sometimes we loss some beautiful movements of our life. After realising some of the moments later in life, some times it cannot come back. So please come out of our internal unknown fears like phobia. There are some methods to come from this complex problem.
1. Psychological counselling
2. Relaxation method
4. Disensitization technique
.5. Family counselling
6. Life style management
7. Personality development
8. Music therapy