Doctor in Psyindia
Speech Therapy Treatment
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Treatment of Hearing Disorders
Treatment of Speech Impairment
Therapy Oral Language
Language Therapy Treatment
Language Stimulation Treatment
Treatment of Learning Dysfunction Disorders
Language Presa Treatment
Oral Motricity Surgery
Submit a review for PsyindiaYour feedback matters!
Stammering or stuttering is a type of speech impairment where sounds or syllables are repeated involuntarily or there are unintended gaps in between words when the person is unable to make the desired sound. People develop stutters due to genetic flaws, motor functioning defects, coordination problems or due to psychological stressors. The condition can result in anxiety, depression and withdrawal from verbal communication.
How does homeopathy help?
A stutter can be practiced away or corrected by speech therapy but there is no specific medicine that can be used to cure stammering. Homeopathic medicines can provide relief from the symptoms by fixing flawed nervous functions, improve motor coordination and modify the vocal apparatus. Different homeopathic treatments can be used depending on the nature of the condition.
1. Foods rich in vitamin B6 like nuts, fish, bananas and chicken should be consumed regularly by children who have a stutter to help with motor functions.
2. Adults should avoid caffeine, tobacco and other recreational drugs as they cause hyper-stimulation of the nervous system.
3. Stramonium(jimsonweed) can be used when the stammering is violent and the person distorts his facial muscles heavily in order to be able to speak.
4. Lychopodium (clubmoss) can be useful for stammering as well as depression, memory weakness and sleep problems. This is especially helpful if the patient struggles with the last few words of a sentence.
5. Spigelia is beneficial for a mild stutter at the beginning of a sentence, often followed by undisturbed speech.
6. Causticum is prescribed when emotional excitability causes stammering, twitching of the facial muscles or problems in the vocal chords.
7. Staphysagria can aid in reducing social anxiety which often causes stammering i.e. the stammer only appears while interacting with strangers or authority figures.
8. Nux vomica (strychnine) is the medicine to use when stammering is a result of extreme stress or over work.
9. Fright or shock often causes speechlessness or stammering. Aconite can provide immediate relief in such cases.
10. Lachesis is an effective homeopathic medicine when the patient stutters over specific letters or syllables.
11. Gelsemium is used to treat stuttering after severe viral infections when the patient complains of a heavy tongue and lack of general coordination.
From the past 5-6 years, I've stammering problem. Please give me some efficient instructions/treatment to get rid off this problem ASAP. My age is 22 now! Please suggest me.
I am suffering from stammering I can't able to interact with people I have to avoid people asking something. What can I do to reduce this problem? Please suggest me.
Hi, My brother has speech and language delay and he is 7 years old. He also has ID (intellectual disability) at its mild and also has echolalia. His treatment is under process as he is having his speech therapy twice in a week. Can you suggest something beneficial for him? Any activity or medicine for him. To make him better faster because his behavior issues are increasing with time.
Autism is a kind of developmental disability, which usually crops up before a child attains the age of 3. It is just part of a group of neurological disorders, which involve impaired communication along with impairment in social interaction and cognitive skills. It is better known as Autism spectrum disorder, it might well be linked with a wide variety of traits.
The traits include:
Activities done on a repetitive basis.
Extreme level of resistance to changes brought about in daily routines.
Very unusual reactions to things like touch.
Problem having interactions with the environment.
Children suffering from Autism Spectrum Disorder can have some of the major problems with regard to both speech and carry out communications in a non-verbal manner. Social interactions might also become very difficult propostions for them.
This is where, speech therapy comes to the rescue of these patients. It is the central part of treatment for autistic children. The speech therapy can help take care of a wide variety of communication problems occurring among people with autism.
Common Speech and Communication Problems Associated With Autism
Social communication, development of language and speech can get adversely affected by autism in more than one way.
A person with autism can have the speech problems, wherein they may:
Not communicate at all.
Tend to utter cries, grunts, shrieks, harsh or throaty sounds.
Talk or just hum in a musical manner.
Utter words, might can sound to be alien or robotic.
Often look to repeat whatever another person says.
Around 30% of people, suffering from autism has problem in producing speech sounds to ensure effective communication with others. The language, even if it is present, can be too difficult to be understood by others.
Communication problems can occur in various ways, for people who suffer from autism. The challenges faced by them while communicating are as follows:
Communication requires a person to make eye contact with another person or even make certain gestures. People with autism will have serious trouble in meeting up with the conversational skills.
They would have difficulty in understanding the meaning of words, which are out of context from what they have actually learned.
They would have very little understanding of the meaning of words and symbols.
Treatment through Speech Therapy
Speech therapy can help children get rid of the problems in speaking, as well as those related to communicating and interacting with others. This involves non-verbal skills such as making direct eye contact, taking initiative in conversations and understanding of different kinds of gestures.
This therapy can also teach children the art of expressing themselves by using picture symbols, computers or through sign language.
Five Principles of Speech Therapy
There are basically five principles used as a framework, to work upon in speech therapy with children, suffering from autism. They include:
Establishing Functional Communication In A Spontaneous Manner –
Providing Social Instruction in Different Settings throughout the Day
Target Peer Interactions
Even Provide Training and Support to Other Adults
Look to Fine Tune Communication Skills as Other Areas Improve.
I am 20 years old. Sir I am suffering from stammering. It becomes very difficult for me to talk with any person fluently. Sir is there any medical treatment to cure stammering.
Language disorder is commonly known as language impairment, it is a common childhood disorder, which makes it difficult for kids to understand what the people around them are saying to them and to face difficulty in following simple directions, it also includes difficulty in expressing the thoughts and feeling through speech.
Language disorder can be classified as:
- Receptive language disorder: This disorder makes it difficult to understand what the other person is saying to the one suffering from it.
- Expressive language disorder: Kids suffering from it are not able to express themselves and their thoughts.
- Mixed receptive expressive disorder: These kids have combined symptoms of receptive language disorder and expressive language disorder, making it difficult to understand and to make someone else understand.
Symptoms of language disorder:
- Difficulty in understanding: The ones suffering from language disorder, finds it difficult to understand what the people around them are saying.
- Limited vocabulary: It is one of the prominent symptoms, in which the vocabulary of the kids is very limited as compared to other kids of that age.
- Trouble learning new things: Learning new things is a difficult task for the kid suffering from language disorder
- Repeat usage of certain phrases: Kids tend to use the same phrase again and again, which is one of the basic symptoms.
- Frustration: As the kid is either not able to understand or to make other understand or both, kids with this disorder tend to remain more frustrated in comparison to other kids, as they are unable to do things.
- Sentences which do not make sense: Making incomplete or senseless sentences is a key indicator of language disorder.
- Speech therapist: The treatment may include speech therapy, in which the speech therapist will work towards building the vocabulary and improving the grammar of the kids suffering, making the kids more confident and feel good about themselves.
- Psychotherapy: If the kid is also suffering from emotional issues because of the language disorder, then one should also undergo Psychotherapy, as it not only improves the morale of the patient, but also provides the guidance on how to keep improving further from the language disorder.
- Positive Atmosphere: The kids suffering from such a disorder should be made comfortable enough to enjoy their being, giving plenty of time to your young ones is the best way to cure such disorder, so one should always communicate well with his kids and make them learn new things, sing to them, listen to various sounds, show different pictures, colours, shapes to make them learn.
- Parental Support: The parents should also understand the issue well, be patient, and should support the kid to work out on the disorder. Parents should also interact with other parents, who have been there, to learn more about the language disorders and how their kids overcome the disorder.
As language disorder is one of common issue in kids, this can be managed and cured well to improve after all the required knowledge and best practices to follow.