Doctor in Om Medical & Gyne Clinic
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Om Medical & Gyne ClinicYour feedback matters!
A million-dollar question for spouse and parents these days is to take a call on whether to induce labor or hold on till the normal labor begins. An induced labor is initiated with Syntocinon. Pregnant women and her families should be aware that initiating induced pregnancy for low-risk pregnancy brings with it a lot of complication that at times is uncalled for.
Here is a list of difference between how natural and induced pregnancy differs in their nature:
- Pregnancy hormone: Oxytocin that initiates contraction in a pregnant woman does so over many hours. In case of natural labor, the body gets around 10 hours of contraction with periodic rests in between. It helps the body get enough time to recover from a contraction before the next contraction begins. However, in case of an induced labor, Pitocin is used to initiate contraction. The biggest disadvantage of this method is the fact that the body gets no downtime. Contractions happen one after another with no breaks in between.
- Contraction pain: Natural contractions build gradually that are mild and short. Over time, the contraction might become more intense and close together. However, in the case of an induced labor, the Syntocinon or Pitocin used through intravenous infusion or IV does not communicate to the brain to release endorphins. As a result, a pregnant woman feels intense pain right from the start of the pregnancy. Doctors often inject pain medication to counter the sudden and intense pain.
- Movement during labor: During a normal labor, women can seek out places and positions in which they feel most comfortable. It is important to move during the contraction so that the baby finds enough room for the birth. In induced labor, it requires constant monitoring by the medical team to ensure that the fetus is not in distress. The mother gets no room to move during this process and the baby gets less room for the birth.
- Fetal ejection: It is a phenomenon that involves the body’s uncontrollable powerful urge to push. High level of oxytocin along with adrenaline is accumulated in the cervix region for the downward and outward movement of the baby. In case of an induced labor, the fetal ejection doesn’t occur. Women undergoing induced labor often requires medical intervention at different stages of the baby’s birth.
- Baby’s brain: During the process of normal labour, the oxytocin protects the brain of the baby from getting damaged due to lower volume of oxygen. This is not the case when it comes to induced labor. The synthetic oxytocin interferes with the ability of the body to produce the hormone. Thus, it exposes the baby to oxygen deprivation.
The field of medicine has evolved to a considerable extent that most health issues can be treated using drugs and minimally invasive procedures. Still, there are circumstances wherein surgical intervention is the best possible course of treatment where the pros outweigh the cons and prove to be highly beneficial to the patients.
One such situation is when a patient is suffering from colorectal disorders such abnormal cracks and tears in the anus to fecal incontinence, congenital disabilities in colon or anus, rectal or colon cancers or rectal or anal prolapse and does not respond to medication. This is when colorectal surgery, once known as proctology, becomes essential. It is a field of medicine that refers to the various surgical procedures that are performed to treat such disorders in the colon, anus, and rectum.
Here are few more compelling reasons why the surgery is the best possible solution in this scenario.
- Availability of various types: Colorectal surgery doesn't refer to one single surgical technique, but a collection of different surgical methods that can offer relief from various colorectal conditions. Some of the common colorectal surgical methods are colectomy, endoscopic surgery, colostomy, rectopexy, IBD surgery and hemorrhoidectomy which can effectively deal with the colorectal issues.
- Complete relief: In case of many colorectal conditions such as fissures, piles, and fistula, medications or lifestyle changes fail to offer a complete relief from the discomfort. They tend to come back again, making surgical removal the only option for complete relief. Similarly, in colon cancer also, it is through colorectal surgery that the disease can be cured.
- Lesser downtime: Depending on the type of colorectal surgery performed, there are different recovery time required. Though for traditional open colorectal surgeries, such as inflammatory bowel disease surgery, the recovery time may be weeks, for laparoscopic colorectal surgeries the downtime is considerably lesser as only ‘keyhole' like cuts are made. A laparoscopic colorectal surgery means lesser hospital stay as well as less pain, less scarring and quicker getting back to normal life.
- Various conditions can be treated: Whatever be the state of the colon, small bowel, anus, and rectum and be it malignant or benign, the problem can be addressed through either laparoscopic and open colorectal surgical techniques as applicable. From anorectal disorders like an abscess, cancer, fissure, fistula, haemorrhoids, polyps, stenosis to rectal, etc. and colon disorders like colorectal cancer, ulcerative colitis, diverticular disease, bowel obstruction, hereditary non-polyposis, etc. can be treated through colorectal surgery. So, as can be noted, because of the numerous benefits it offers, colorectal surgery is the preferred treatment option when it comes to the colorectal disorders especially when medications are not helpful. Your gastrointestinal surgeon would decide on the course of treatment plan depending on your condition and proceed accordingly.
So, as can be noted, because of the numerous benefits it offers, colorectal surgery is the preferred treatment option when it comes to the colorectal disorders especially when medications are not helpful. Your gastroenterologist would decide on the course of treatment plan depending on your condition and proceed accordingly.
In vitro fertilization or IVF is an advanced process of fertilisation, which involves the combining of an egg with a sperm in a laboratory dish. This is followed by the implantation of the embryo(s) [a developing unborn offspring formed by the combination] in your uterus. Being one of the most successful and widely opted methods of assisted reproductive technology, IVF is considered to be highly advantageous for couples who seek a child but have fertility issues.
1. IVF proves to be a boon for couples who are normally unable to conceive: Couples who have fertility issues generally opt for IVF to fulfil their wish of having a child. IVF works against fertility problems like blocked fallopian tubes, PCOS, endometriosis (a condition where a fraction of the womb lining grows outside it), premature ovarian failure or menopause among women and unusual sperm size, low sperm count, and inadequate sperm mobility among men.
2. It has been in use since long and is proven to be safe: IVF was first used in 1978 to give life to the baby Louise Brown, safely. Since then, the enhancements in technology and techniques have resulted in large numbers of successful cases, where IVF has proved to be a safe method for conceiving.
3. It has higher success rates in comparison to other types of technologies used for assisted reproduction: Though various types of assisted reproductive technologies like IUI (Intrauterine insemination) are available for couples seeking a child, the success rate and effectiveness of IVF is the highest. This is due to the fact that IVF has undergone significant levels of enhancement over the years in comparison to other such techniques.
4. It proves to be of great help to same-sex couples and single women: Same-sex couples and single women are hugely benefitted through IVF as it helps them in becoming parent(s) by using donor sperms.
5. It can help you to eliminate genetic disorders: IVF helps in preventing the conceived child from inheriting any general disorders present in the parents through the process of pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD – a reproductive technology that accompanies an IVF cycle to detect genetic diseases in the embryo before the implantation happens). Moreover, opting for pre-implantation genetic screening (PGS) increases the probability of success as it entails a screening of the embryos that helps in identifying chromosomal disorders like Down’s syndrome.
Not everyone can conceive a baby easily. The inability to conceive a baby despite having intercourse during the fertile window in a woman’s menstrual cycle for over a year is termed as infertility. Infertility does not affect only the physical health of a woman, but also her mental and emotional well-being as well as the couple’s social health.
In some cases, infertility can be treated with Ayurveda. According to Ayurveda, a couple needs to be both physically and mentally strong and healthy. Ayurveda believes that a lack of nutrition in the shukra dhatu or the person’s reproductive tissue is the cause of infertility. This can be triggered by indigestion, anxiety, depression, insomnia and the presence of toxins in the body. Some of the ways ayurveda can be used to treat infertility are as follows:
- Eat cool foods: Spicy food can affect the quality of shukra dhatu and lower the quality and quantity of both sperm and ovum. This is because shukra dhatu requires a cool environment to promote fertility. Hence, eat food that is easy to digest and which has a cooling effect on the body. Men can benefit from foods like asparagus, dates and almonds, while foods like quinoa and pineapples can help a woman conceive easily.
- Shirodhara therapy: Shirodhara involves the movement of liquid over the forehead in a rhythmic manner at specific points. This stimulates the hypothalamus, pituitary and pineal glands and aids in the secretion of hormones including follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH). When it comes to women, FSH stimulates the ovarian follicles into releasing an egg without which it would be impossible to conceive a child.
- Fight stress: One of the effects of stress is reduced libido. Prolonged exposure to stress is often a major factor that contributes to infertility. When it comes to women, stress makes a woman ovulate less regularly. In men, stress can affect the sperm production and affect testosterone levels. To fight stress, try deep breathing exercises like alom vilom or keep a little time aside each morning for a walk or light exercise.
- Lodhra: This herb is very beneficial in treating women with infertility. It stimulates FSH and luteinising hormones (LH) and lowers the risk of a miscarriage. It also increases chances of conception. Lodhra should be taken twice a day along with honey and milk.
- Lifestyle changes: Ayurveda is not only about herbal medicines but also following the right lifestyle. Bad habits like smoking, drug usage and alcohol not only affect a person’s overall health but also interfere with fertility. Hence, when trying to conceive a child, quit these bad habits and try following a healthier lifestyle that involves following a routine, eating right and exercising regularly.
Numerous ladies encounter some bleeding in early pregnancy. Around one in four perceived pregnancies end in an unnatural miscarriage. Most are brought about by irregularities in the genes. Continuously tell your specialist in case you have vaginal bleeding when you are pregnant. Bleeding with pain can likewise be an indication of an ectopic pregnancy. However, it is to be taken seriously and needs dire therapeutic care. Losing a pregnancy can be hard for both the partners. In any case, most couples that encounter this will go ahead to have an effective pregnancy next time. Here are a few reasons why bleeding takes place in early pregnancy:
- Numerous women may have a small amount of bleeding during their missed period. Sometimes, this may also be called an implantation bleed. It happens when the prepared egg inserts itself in the mass of your womb (uterus). In such cases, it is considered harmless.
- The most widely recognised reason for bleeding is an early premature delivery. Miscarriage is the loss of a pregnancy at any time until the twenty- fourth week. A miscarriage after this time is known as a stillbirth.
- A less normal reason for bleeding during pregnancy is an ectopic pregnancy. This is a pregnancy that happens outside the womb. It happens in about one in every hundred pregnancies.
- Smoking increases your chances of bleeding and miscarriage.
- Drinking a lot of liquor can also cause the same. Drinking four units of liquor a week (one unit is a large portion of a half quart) can increase the risk of a miscarriage to four times.
- Using recreational medications can lead to bleeding.
- Have had fertility issues in the past or having taken a long time to conceive may also create such a condition.
- Having any complications with womb (uterus) can cause bleeding.
- Have certain medical conditions (for instance, systemic lupus erythematosus, antiphospholipid disorder) may also cause the same.
- Have diabetes that is not controllable can lead to bleeding at this time.
- Have specific infections like listeria and German measles (rubella) may cause bleeding during pregnancy.
You need to report any bleeding in pregnancy to your specialist. It is essential to get the right conclusion, as unsuccessful labour is not by any means the only aim of vaginal bleeding. In case that you are bleeding intensely or have serious stomach pain when you are pregnant, call an ambulance immediately.
Women with bleeding in early pregnancy need to see an obstetrician. It is important to have an ultrasound check. This is normally done by inserting a little probe inside the vagina. This helps figure out if the bleeding is happening due to:
- A possible miscarriage
- A premature delivery (no pulse is seen).
- Some other reason for bleeding, (for example, an ectopic pregnancy)
- In case that it is unclear from your ultrasound check whether the pregnancy is sound or not, then you might need to go for a repeat scan in two weeks.
What is In- Vitro Fertilization?
In Vitro fertilization (IVF) is a process of fertilization where an egg is combined with sperm outside the body, in vitro ("in glass"). This process involves stimulating a woman's ovulatory process, removing an ovum or ova from the woman's ovaries and fertilizing them with sperms in a liquid in the laboratory. The fertilized egg (zygote) undergoes embryo culture for 2–6 days, and is then transferred to the same or another woman's uterus, to establish a successful pregnancy.The success rate depends on various factors such as maternal age.
Cause of infertility
- Embryo status
- Reproductive history
- Lifestyle factors
Ways to increase the success rate of In-Vitro Fertilization:
- Reduce alcohol and caffeine intake: As increased alcohol/caffeine intake decreases success rate of IVF.
- Number of embryos: Increasing the number of embryos transferred in the treatment cycle increases the success rate of conceiving.
- Getting treated for illnesses before IVF: Taking proper treatment for the underlying autoimmune disease before starting with IVF treatment is essential as it plays a role in decreasing IVF success rates by interfering with proper implantation of the embryo after transfer.
- Treating infectious disease: If the female undergoing IVF is suffering from any infectious disease like Rubella, Toxoplasmosis, etc needs to take treatment for the same as it may increase the failure rate of IVF by causing miscarriage/abortion or it may cause failure to hold the fetus.
- Mental state: The mental state of the female while undergoing IVF plays an important role. Females undergoing any kind of stress either physical or mental have higher chances of failure.
- Good clinic: Getting IVF treatment done from a good clinic and experienced doctor helps in achieving success.
Not being able to get pregnant can be an agonizing experience. The fertility of an individual can be affected by a host of physical and mental factors. The effectiveness of a fertility treatment is enhanced by several folds if there is an accurate diagnosis of the underlying cause of infertility. The In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) that first made its presence felt in 1978 (the first child born through IVF was on 25 July 1978) has been a revolution and is still continuing to change lives of millions of couples dealing with infertility issues.
When we talk about IVF, a question that often comes to our mind is whether IVF is the solution to all infertility problems? To answer this question, one needs to have a proper understanding of the IVF procedure. The
IVF procedure essentially comprises of following things:
- Stimulation of the ovary and development of the follicles involves a series of tests and ultrasounds to closely monitor the ovulation process, including the quality and quantity of eggs released along with the hormonal balance.
- In some instances, medications or hormones may be needed to ensure that the ovaries are stimulated enough to ensure proper development of the follicles (sacs filled with fluids where maturation of eggs take place) along with the release of two or more eggs during each cycle.
- Retrieval of the eggs: This step involves isolation of the eggs or the oocyte from the follicular fluid into a culture media and finally into an incubator.
- Fertilization: With the retrieval of the eggs, the sperm samples (from the partner or a donor) are also collected to facilitate the fertilization process (the chosen active sperm may be injected into the egg or mixed with it).
- Transfer of the embryo: From the embryos resulting from fertilization, a doctor selects the healthiest one and transfer it into the uterus of the recipient woman for implantation to take place.
- Following the implantation of the embryo, many women get pregnant within a few days or weeks. However, a pregnancy test can also result in disappointment for some.The failure of IVF treatment in some patients can be attributed to
- The embryo not being healthy enough to undergo the implantation
- Problems or severe damages to the uterine cavity.
- Abnormalities with the egg or the sperm (can be chromosomal or genetic aberrations).
Can IVF solve all infertility problems?
Having a clearer understanding of the IVF procedure, one can state that IVF does come as a ray of hope, especially for
- Males with a low sperm count
- Tubal damage in women. There may also be problems affecting the cervix and the vagina
- Women with ovulation problems (can be due to Hormonal Imbalance, PCOS, Endometriosis) or those who are above 35 years
In unfortunate cases, where IVF fails to produce the desired result, there are other fertility treatments available such as Intrauterine insemination, Gamete or Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer, Intracytoplasmic sperm injections, to put an end to the infertility problems.
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a process of fertilization in which eggs (ova) from a woman's ovary are removed. They are combined with sperm outside the body in a laboratory procedure, and then the fertilized egg (zygote) is transferred to the same or another woman’s uterus for a successful pregnancy.
IVF is one of the several assisted reproductive techniques (ART) used to help infertile couples to conceive a child.
Causes of Infertility
- Blocked fallopian tubes
- Hormonal imbalance
- Women with ovulation disorder
- Uterine fibroids
- In the man, low sperm count or poor quality sperm
- Genetic disorder
Two procedures are done to gain access to ovaries
- It involves inserting the needle through the vagina (transvaginally). With the help of an ultrasound machine, the physician guides the needle to the location of the ovaries
- In the other procedure, called laparoscopy, a small thin tube with a viewing lens is inserted through an incision in the navel. This lets physician to see inside the patient, and locate the ovaries.
Without additional techniques, the chances of pregnancy would be extremely small. The additional techniques used in IVF include-
- Final maturation induction- Induction of final oocyte maturation is performed, generally by an injection of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG), when the ovarian follicles have reached a certain degree of development. This is known as the "trigger shot”
- Egg and sperm preparation- Semen is prepared for fertilization by removing inactive cells and seminal fluid in a process called sperm washing. An oocyte selection may be performed prior to fertilization to select eggs with optimal chances of successful pregnancy.
- Co-incubation- Eggs are removed from the woman and placed in one of the fallopian tubes, along with the man's sperm. This allows fertilization to take place inside the woman's body. Therefore, this variation is actually an in vivo fertilization, not in vitro.
- Embryo culture- The main durations of embryo culture are until cleavage stage (day two to four after co-incubation) or the blastocyst stage (day five or six after co-incubation)
- Embryo transfer- The number to be transferred depends on the number available, the age of the woman and other health and diagnostic factors. Embryos are transferred to the patient's uterus through a thin, plastic catheter, which goes through her vagina and cervix.
After the IVF procedure is performed the woman can resume normal activities. A pregnancy test can be done approximately 12-14 days later to determine if the procedure was successful.
Having a baby is a life changing event. For every couple the process is different. For some getting pregnant happens naturally but for others the whole process of getting pregnant can become an ordeal. For couples experiencing difficulty in getting pregnant, there is IVF (in vitro fertilization) fertility. It should be stressed that IVF is one of the many ways in which a couple can have a child.
The women are generally the one undergoing the treatment. The husband’s male ego maybe hit owing to the fact that he is unable to produce a baby through natural process. The problem of infertility may be traced back to the husband or the wife or both. In an IVF treatment, the woman is generally injected with hormonal medications and the egg is extracted and then fertilized with a sperm and the resulting embryo is implanted in the womb. The whole process might be overwhelming for the woman. The husband basically plays a passive role but is pivotal in providing support and love to his better half.
What can husbands do during an IVF treatment?
- Providing Emotional and Physical support- Women are generally emotional by nature and the process of IVF can make them more emotional. A woman can experience fatigue and nausea during the process. The husband should be around to help his wife in doing household chores and any other activities she needs help in doing. Remember a simple hug or just holding hands can create a positive feeling in your partner. You should spend time together
- Research- The women bears the maximum burden, being the one to go through the IVF treatment, experiencing pain and giving birth and taking care of the baby post-delivery. A husband can relieve some stress by undertaking a thorough research on IVF fertility. It’s very important to discuss about the consequences as well, like what measures can be adopted if the treatment is unsuccessful.
The whole process IVF might seem difficult and expensive but with the support of the right doctors and your partner, you will soon get to experience parenthood and an overwhelming love for your baby.
Itchy Penis? Use Shea Butter and Vitamin E
The reasons a man might suffer an itchy penis are endless. Even with the best penis care regimen, every man is going to deal with an itchy penis from time to time. In many cases, that itching happens when he's in a place where he can't simply let it all hang out and scratch to his heart's content. But if he uses the right ingredients to eliminate that itchy penis problem, he won't have to worry about being embarrassed or caught in a situation where he can't get to that maddening itch. The answer lies in Shea butter and vitamin E.
What is Shea butter?
Though men might not be as familiar with Shea butter, many women across the world can attest to its wonders. It's a natural oil derived from the African Shea tree. It has been used for a very long time in lotions, moisturizing crèmes and more, and now it has made its way into top-notch penis health crèmes. It keeps the skin extremely smooth and supple, but besides that, it has strong anti-inflammatory properties that can help ensure the skin stays as healthy as possible. Shea butter has been known to stop the itching of dry skin and confront other skin problems as well.
What is vitamin E?
Vitamin E is taken as supplements, used in a variety of skin care products and even applied directly to the skin from tiny capsules of smooth, luxurious oil. Vitamin E is known for its ability to not only keep skin supple and soft, but to help heal minor irritations and smooth out redness. It's also a great antioxidant, meaning that it attacks free radicals that can lead to problems in the body. By applying it directly to the skin, a man can reap the benefits of softer skin, healthier skin, and of course, alleviate an itchy penis.
Putting them together for the best results
Each of these ingredients is stellar on their own. But when they are combined, they create a powerful one-two punch of softness that can heal even the driest skin. Since many itchy penis problems are caused by dry skin, this means a top-notch men's health crème can go a long way toward alleviating the itchiness almost immediately. By applying it every single day, a man can keep itchiness at bay most of the time.
What happens if a man is using a strong regimen of Shea butter and vitamin E, along with other vitamins and nutrients, but is suddenly assailed with a serious itchy problem? That's when he might want to consider recent events. Has he recently changed detergents, used harsh soaps or come into contact with something that irritated the skin? Was he with a new partner and didn't use any sort of protection during his romp? Has he been dealing with health issues that might have contributed to a change in his penis skin?
If this is the case, a man should make an appointment with his doctor to check out what might be behind the intense penis itch. In some cases, it might be a simple allergic reaction that can be remedied with an easy lifestyle change. In other cases, it might mean he needs to get a medical problem in check - and in the worst case scenario, it might mean he has contracted an STD from a partner.
To ensure an itchy penis doesn't happen at the most inopportune time, a man should make a daily habit of applying a good penis health creme (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which is clinically proven mild and safe for skin). In addition to Shea butter and vitamin E, the crème should contain other vital nutrients and vitamins, such as vitamin A for fighting odor and L arginine for healthy cellular function. A penis health crème is an undeniable asset to any man's daily penis care regimen.