Doctors in Medanta Mediclinic Defence Colony
Five Causes of Tingling in the Penis and How to Cope?
Tingling in the penis is not something a man should ignore. There are several different types of tingles, and while most are easy to remedy, some can be quite serious. Tingling, as it is referred to in this article, is more of the pins and needles variety and less of the burning sort. The sensation can feel like little pricks in the penis or have the intensity of lightning. The following are some of the things that men should look out for when tingling becomes more than just a momentary phenomenon.
1) Contact Dermatitis - Contact dermatitis is an allergic reaction or irritation of the skin from contact with a foreign substance. The most common culprits are soaps, detergents, body lotions, environmental allergens like poison ivy, and jewelry. There may be some tingling in addition to a rash. Usually, a cortisone cream can help clear it up quickly. If the contact dermatitis is the result of a penile piercing, the piercing will need to be removed.
2) Paresthesia - The tingling is a result of nerve damage and is most common in men who have diabetes or a chronic neurological condition like multiple sclerosis. In this case, other parts of the body will also suffer from tingling, not just the penis. See a doctor immediately for medical consultation.
3) Genital Herpes - A tingly penis is a sign of genital herpes. The sensation is often described as "electrical" tingly and is usually accompanied by breakouts on the penis. An incurable STD, genital herpes requires immediate care for outbreak treatment and then maintenance for the infected person's entire life. While incurable, it can be managed effectively. People with genital herpes need to contact a past partner once they have an outbreak and tell all new intimate partners prior to sexual contact even if they aren't having an outbreak.
4) Genital Warts - genital warts caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV) deserve special mention. Most times, the sensation just before a wart appears is a tingle, but once the wart is visible, the sensation morphs into more of an itch. The bumps can be painless, itchy while growing, and turn bloody during sex. Sadly, 70 percent of people who have sex with someone with HPV will develop warts within 90 days. However, maintaining a healthy level of vitamin A in the diet can greatly reduce the chance of catching and spreading the disease. Various vaccinations can protect men and women from HPV and there are also prescriptions that can help once an outbreak happens. See a doctor as soon as symptoms appear.
5) Kidney Stones - Kidney stones will generally start with pressure and tingling. However, the pain will intensify into more of a stabbing pain until the stone is passed (expect to see a little a blood in the urine) or is surgically removed. Men who think they have a kidney stone should consult their physician immediately.
Preventing and Relieving Tingling in the Penis
Depending on the cause, men who have a tingly penis should always consult a physician if they feel the issue is serious. Proper penis health begins at home though with a few words to the wise when keeping the penis healthy and in best form.
When in intimate situations, practice safe sex and talk about sex with a partner to ensure all pertinent medical information is known. Conditions such as HPV and genital herpes can be contracted while using protection, so it's important to understand the risk.
Also, keep the penis thoroughly cleaned and well moisturized. Use a mild cleanser like baby shampoo or a clearer with gentle, natural ingredients. After cleansing the skin, a specially formulated penis health creme (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which has been clinically proven safe and mild for skin) should be applied. Nutrient creams that are designed specifically for the penis should contain ingredients such as vitamins A, C, D, and E, which are renowned for their skin-soothing and curative properties. Men should look for a moisturizer containing a natural moisturizer such as Shea butter, which soothes itchy skin on contact and leaves it hydrated, supple and less prone to future drying and itching. For men with nerve damage, a crème that also includes L-Carnitine is ideal as it has been shown to protect against peripheral nerve damage common to diabetes and neurological diseases.
There are several Causes of abdominal Pain.It is a dangerous symptom and should never be neglected.Abdominal pain can be either Acute pain or it can be Chronic Pain.
Commonest Causes of Abdominal pain we see in day to day practice are:
1) Urinary tract stones
3) Acid peptic Disorders, Reflux Esophagitis
6) Systemic Causes: Sickle cell crisi,Metabolic Causes
7) Referred pain: Myocardial infarction, Pleurisy
8) Hernia: Ventral Hernia, Inguinal Hernia, Umbilical Hernia,
9) Malignancies (Cancer) and Tumours of GI Tract, Urinary tract,Retroperitoneum.
10) Infections: Tuberculous, Mesentric adenitis, Liver abscess,
11) Pelvic Causes ( Torsion Ovarian cyst, Ovarian tumours), torsion Testis,Rutured Ectopic Pregnancy.
12) Pancreatitis (Alcoholic, Gall stone)
13) Intestinal Obstruction
One should visit an Experienced General Surgeon who will first take detailed history, and then do a thorough Clinical Examination.You should properly give all history to the Surgeon including all past diseases( Take with you all old records, Investigation reports),Personal History, Family History, History of addictions if any,Appetite, Bowel, Bladder, Sleep,etc.
If required one may be subjected to any of the following Investigations:
Routine Laboratory tests
USG Abdomen ( Ultrasound)
Sometimes CT Scan or MRI
Endoscopy (Upper GI or Colonoscopy)
Other Specialised investigations
Either Medical or Surgical:After a definite diagnosis is reached, Many causes are managed by Medications alone. Some of them requires Surgical Intervention, which can be either Immediate / Emergency Surgery or planned (Elective).
Examples of Emergency Surgical interventions:
1) Acute Appendicitis
2) Strangulated Hernia
3) Peritonitis due to any Cause.
4) Severe Hydronephrosis with large obstructing Urinary tract Stone
5) Acute Cholecystitis
6) Ruptured Ectopic Pregnancy
7) Torsion of Ovarian Cyst.
Surgeries of the Abdomen can be Either an Open Surgery or more commonly nowadays by minimal Invasive technique called the Laparoscopic Surgery.
The Surgeon should be left to take a call regarding method of surgery as per his/her experience, expertise and equipment available at the centre and patient condition.Not all surgeries are possible laparoscopically in all patients.
Advantages of Laparoscopic Surgery:
1) Minimal Invasive: Small Key Holes only on the abdominal wall. No big incisions,or injury to the body.Therefore minimal local and systemic inflammtory response.MInimal collateral damage to the body
2) Small scar: Better Cosmesis
3) Faster Recovery and back to routine work and life.
4) Less Pain
Ever wish a stress superhero could save you from the tension of traffic jams, chaotic meetings, arguments with your spouse, or a toddler’s tantrums? Well, you can be your own stress-busting superhero. Using your senses, you can tap into the power to reduce the impact of stress as it’s happening and stay in control when the pressure builds. Like any skill, learning how to ease stress in the moment takes time, experimentation, and practice, but the payoff is huge. When you know how to quickly relieve stress, you can stay calm, productive, and focused—no matter what life throws at you.
When your thoughts start to spin out of control during a stressful moment, stop and reframe your thinking. By your choice of perspective, you direct how your body will respond—in fight or flight, or in creative choices and solution-based responses
Words could be great stress relievers. One technique to quell sudden stress is to repeat a phrase from which you draw power and strength. “Think positively about releasing what is bothering you by repeating a positive mantra that uplifts you such as, ‘I am at peace,
When stress attacks, it can feel like your whole world is crashing down. Remind yourself what’s good in your life with a quick gratitude round-up.
Escape from a stressful situation by remembering a favorite vacation spot or a place where you feel cozy and at home. Make sure to take note of every detail of your favorite spot—the more detailed your visualization, the more stress gets kicked to the curb.
Approximately 14% of children have been diagnosed with asthma, which roughly translates to 1 to 2 out of every 10 kids.The symptoms vary from one person to another, with some people experiencing more asthma attacks than others. Generally, males are more at risk for asthma than females, as are those who suffer from respiratory infections, have allergies, or have family members diagnosed with this condition.Allergens like dust or pollen can trigger asthma symptoms to pop up, as can pollution and cigarette smoke.Uncontrolled emotions like crying and yelling are also considered asthma triggers, as in cold weather.
What are mood swings?
There are days when you feel a sudden surge of excitement and days when you find yourself beating the blues and on those days you struggle. You will be surprised to know that even emotional problems have a cure that is natural and without any side effects.
What causes Mood Swings?
Most people know that our brain produces a “good mood” hormone called serotonin. If we do not produce enough of it or it gets broken down too quickly, then a low mood results. Various genetic factors and your surroundings also play a huge role in determining your mood, but the way you perceive things can change your attitude towards them.
- Physical Illness: A physical illness can be followed by depression, esp. those like cancer, AIDS, and heart diseases etc which carry serious implications..
- Result of diseases: Depression or mania could be the presenting feature of cerbrovascular disease, neurological disorders such as multiple sclerosis.
Symptoms of Depression
- Depression of mood is the primary symptom. There may be a diurnal variation of mood, depression being most distressing early in the morning or at the end of the day.
- Loss of pleasure in life (anhedonia)
- Loss of interest in oneself and others
- Low self esteem
- Self blame
- Suicidal thinking
- Feeling of guilt and worthlessness
- Sleep disturbance (initial insomnia, early morning wakening or hypersomnia)
- Poor concentration
How can you treat depression with Homeopathy?
Most treatments comprise of drugs and other anti depressants that take a toll of a person’s mental and physical health because of this various side effects. Therefore treatment like these may not always solve your issue completely, this is when homeopathy comes to your rescue.
Homeopathy offers very good treatment possibilities for depression with good results. There are a large number of medicines which can be used and the selection of medicine depends not just on the symptoms, but also on the cause. Like all psychological disorders, depressive illness also requires good case study and continuous monitoring by a competent homeopath. One should not try any form of self-medication
Some of the commonly indicated medicines are anacardium, arsenic-alb, aurum-met, ignatia, acid-phos, pulsatilla, natrum-mur, sepia, antim-crud, naja, nux-vom, stann, psorinum etc. The selection of medicine varies from case to case. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a homeopath and ask a free question.
Pain in back, joints or in muscle can be very troublesome. And if it continues, then it can cause a lot of discomfiture as you then find it difficult to perform even day-to-day activities. Homeopathy very effectively deals with any pain. Let us check the remedies:
Homeopathic remedies for back pain:
- Arnica: Injured back often leads to severe back pain and it can be well treated by this homeopathic medicine. Both recent and past back-injuries can be treated using this medicine. This medicine is absolutely safe and thus you will not face any side-effects at all. Unwanted back stiffness and soreness within back muscles can also be minimized to a great extent with the consistent application of this medicine. Back motions can be made much more flexible by curtailing restlessness.
- Bryonia: There are some prominent symptoms of back pain and they can be easily and efficiently alleviated by this medicine. If you have become pretty tired of applying homemade therapies, then you can try out this solution. This medicine can reduce your pain and inflammation within a few hours, and you can get back to your daily activities with great energy. Apart from taking this medicine, you have to take enough rest so that your back can get relaxed. Your back motion can be smoothened and made flexible by taking the concerned medicine.
Ways in which homeopathy can cure Joint and muscle pain:
- Moving and shifting joint or muscle pains: Many patients have this problem where they face joint or muscle pain but instead of it being constant in one area, it moves around the body. Pulsatilla is known to effectively reduce the symptoms in these cases.
- Arthritis: One of the most common problems that many people report is that of arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, which causes a lot of pain in many people. In many cases, the use of Natrum Muriaticum and Bryonia has been known to allay the pain.
- Tennis elbow or tendon related problems: This is a common ailment, which in many cases is caused by strenuous activities, such as sports. Rhus tox has been known to be effective in such cases.
Epilepsy is a disorder in the central nervous system characterized by recurrent seizures. An unexpected rush of electrical activity inside the brain leads to a seizure. Brain activity becomes abnormal and leads to periods of unusual behaviour with loss of awareness at times.
Seizures do not always include unusual muscle movements or convulsions. Untreated seizures can seriously affect the lives of children having them. Epilepsy affects both men and women regardless of their ethnic background and age.
Signs of Epilepsy:
- A staring spell
- Momentary bewilderment
- Loss of consciousness
- Jerking movements of arms and legs.
- Panic or anxiety
Kinds of Seizures:
Seizures are normally classified as focal or generalized depending on the commencement of abnormal brain activity.
- Focal (partial) seizures result from abnormal activity in a particular area of the person's brain. Simple partial seizures may change emotions or the way things smell, appear, feel, sound or taste. It is characterized by tingling and dizziness.
- Complex partial seizures or focal seizures with impaired awareness entail a modification of or loss of awareness and consciousness. Repetitive movements are performed during such seizures such as hand rubbing, walking in circles or swallowing.
Thorough testing is needed to differentiate epilepsy from other neurological disorders such as narcolepsy, migraine or mental illness.
Generalized seizures normally affect all areas of the brain and consist of:
- Tonic seizures lead to muscle stiffness and normally affects muscles in the person's back, legs and arms.
- Atonic seizures or drop seizures lead to a loss of muscle control which makes a person abruptly collapse or fall down.
- Myoclonic seizures are visible as short jerks or twitches of a person's arms and legs.
- Clonic seizures are characterized by repetitive or rhythmic jerking muscle movements.
- Tonic-clonic seizures cause sudden loss of consciousness, quivering and body stiffening.
- Absence seizures might take place in clusters and lead to momentary loss of awareness.
Symptoms of Epilepsy:
The main symptoms of epilepsy are seizures and it differs from one person to another.
Symptoms of Focal (partial) seizures include:
- Change or modification in the sense of smell, taste, hearing, sight or touch.
- Twitching and tingling of limbs.
Symptoms of Complex partial seizures include:
- Staring blankly
- Performing repetitive movements
- Loss of awareness or consciousness
Genetics may provide a person with a natural seizure threshold as a person who is susceptible to seizure triggers is said to have inherited a low seizure threshold. A higher threshold conversely makes a person less liable to have seizures.
Epilepsy is a comparatively common neurological disorder that affects innumerable people worldwide and treatments range from medication to surgery.