I have a problem of osteoarthritis and knee problem. Should I opt for knee replacement. Will I do normal work after operation .how long it will work after operation. Can I turn my leg more than 160 degree.
Knee pain is a common phenomenon that plagues most of the people irrespective of their age. It can be the outcome of a torn cartilage or a ruptured ligament. Medical complications, such as infections, gout or arthritis (painful inflammation and stiffness of the joints) can also give way to knee pain. Minor knee pain can be eased by self-care remedies such as physical therapy or by putting on knee braces. However, few complications might demand surgical repair. Pain can be managed by the pain management specialists.
Tips to manage knee pain
1. Medications such as naproxen, ibuprofen and acetaminophen can be administered to help remedy knee pain.
2. You can seek relief by massaging your knees with ointments constituting of a number of agents such as capsaicin or lidocaine.
3. Keep away from your usual chores to prevent repetitive strains on the knees, thus, allowing the injury to heal as well as to stay safe from further damage.
4. Applying an ice pack in a towel can ease the inflammation and pain. But do not extend its usage for more than 20 minutes because that might harm the skin and nerves.
5. Compression bandages can inhibit fluid accumulation in the damaged tissues aiding knee alignment stability. Ensure that it is tight enough to render support to your knees without actually obstructing blood circulation.
6. To pacify the swelling, try resting your sore leg on a pillow (the idea here is to keep the affected leg elevated to reduce further pain).
7. Shed off your extra pounds as being overweight increases chances of other disorders such as osteoarthritis.
8. Go for regular work outs to enhance and maintain the flexibility of your muscles as excessively weak or abnormally tight muscles can contribute to injuries. Be smart while choosing your method of exercise based on the condition you are suffering from.
Hey. My had a pettelar dislocation on 21st sep 2016 and my mri was done on 11 oct 2016 nd it said that I had a partial LCL ligament tear and meniscus grade 1 tear and moderate knee joint effusion. I am able to bend my leg but not completely .i am able to walk with a knee supporter but I am unable to walk properly. I walk like old aged people .i am doing cycling to restore my quadriceps strength. Can you tell me is my walking prblm is due to weak quadriceps or sumthn else .nd can you please tell my how much n for how long should I cycle in a day .and please suggest some more exercises if required. thanks so much.
In my knee pain and sound from knee when I drive cycle then pain when I fold my leg then sound comes from knee.
When I run regularly for preparation of army. Then there is some pain in my knee and under knee parts. When I stop running frw day it stops.
My age is 25 now. And I don't have previous knee injuries. And in Jan 2016 my weight is 49 and now it is 56. I have left knee pain since 2 weeks. Kindly tel me what is the cause for my knee pain n suggest the medication. Do vajrasana helps relieving knee pain.
Hi, this is haritha. My friend is suffering with severe knee pain, she has fallen down from bike one and half year back, when she has fallen the right leg twisted at knee there is no swelling seen outside. I want to know y there is pain still?
I am suffering from knocked knees, please suggest me some suggestions to correct it without surgery, I am following two things to correct it 1. Keeping pillow between legs and 2. Running and walking around 8 km a day. Will this methods will help me? Please reply as soon as possible thank you.
Arthritis is defined as a disease that causes painful inflammation and stiffness in joints. There are some food items, which you should avoid if you are suffering from arthritis since they can worsen your condition and lead to inflammation and joint pain. Stick to a smart, nutritious diet that doesn't make you gain weight.
The following food items should be struck off your daily meals:
- Red Meat: Red meat has high levels of saturated fat. Patients of arthritis must avoid consuming foods containing saturated fat because they contribute to obesity. They also contain Omega-6 fatty acids, which lead to inflammation if the intake is high. Red meat contributes to higher overall fat and calorie intake.
- Sugar and Refined Flour: Sugar and refined flour may cause an upsurge in blood sugar levels. When there is a spike in your blood sugar levels, the body produces a pro-inflammatory chemical called cytokines to break down the carbohydrates. This results in inflammation, worsening your arthritis symptoms. They also increase your weight, putting more and more pressure on the joints.
- Fried Foods: Eliminating fried foods from your diet helps in reducing the levels of inflammation. Fried foods increase oxidation in the body's cells due to toxins called advanced glycation endproducts or age. They are high in fat and lead to obesity. Moreover, most restaurants use hydrogenated oils which are rich in trans fats. Trans fats are even more harmful than saturated fats when it comes to inflammation, chronic heart diseases and other health problems.
- Alcohol and tobacco: High intake of alcohol causes a surge in the body levels of CRP or C - reactive protein which is a powerful agent of inflammation. The risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis is higher among smokers.
- Processed Foods: Foods that are ready to eat and require minimal cooking contain several ingredients that cause inflammation. They are loaded with saturated fats, refined flour and sugar and are extremely unhealthy and worsen arthritic pain.
- Corn Oil: Many foods, especially baked foods, are cooked in corn oil or other oils which are rich in omega 6 fatty acids and trigger inflammation. Corn oil can be replaced with olive oil that is rich in omega 3 fatty acids which is anti-inflammatory.
I have pain in my knee since a long time. I treat with family doc but it is temporarily relief in it. Please suggest any exercise to get relief from it. Thanks.
I am suffering from left knee pain last one an half month (muscles pain) I am not aware about cause of pain almost one an half month before I was sleeping in ac room, one day morning I felt left knee pain. Generally I am on routine fast -morning walk last one year.
Pain in knee during band of leg for small time. Why this Is done and how it solved? And how I cure this problem?
From past 2 weeks my left knee is paining. I can't able to walk normal. A bit difficult. Previously my weight is 48. Now it is 56 is that a cause. Since 1mnth I had my right knee pain but I took calcium tablets. It was ok now. But now my left knee is paining. Kindly tell me the reason. I'm suffering alot.
Sir my age is 22 Sir I am suffered with knee pain. It increase in cold time. And in left knee it is very painful please give me some suggestions.
I have insomnia. I dnt want to take sleeping pills always as prescribed to me by the doc. But when I stop taking it, I get awake at the mid night & can hardly sleep back. Is there any other way to deal with it?
I had knee pain from Last year. Doctor said to do blood test. And he said the disease is bone TB. IS it any disease?
Sir I hav done X-RAY n the report was reduction of MEDIAL TIBIA FIMOUR JOINT SPACE. What should I do? I am suffering from knee pain since 2 months? M totally tensed.
@stick to a regular sleep schedule. Support your biological clock by going to bed and getting up at the same time every day, including weekends.
@ avoid naps. Napping during the day can make it more difficult to sleep at night. If you feel like you have to take a nap, limit it to 30 minutes before 3 p. M.
@ limit caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine. Stop drinking caffeinated beverages at least eight hours before bed. While alcohol can make you feel sleepy, it interferes with the quality of your sleep, and nicotine is a stimulant.
@ avoid late meals. Try to avoid heavy, rich foods within two hours of bed. Fatty foods can take a lot of work for your stomach to digest and spicy or acidic foods can cause heartburn.
@ get regular exercise. Regular exercise can improve the symptoms of insomnia, but it's not a quick fix. It takes several months to feel the full effects. Aim for 30 minutes or more of activity on most days but not too close to bedtime.
@ develop a better bedtime routine
@ it's not just what you do during the day that affects the quality of your sleep, but also those things you do to prepare your mind and body for sleep.
@make sure your bedroom is quiet, dark, and cool. Noise, light, and heat can interfere with sleep. Try using a sound machine or earplugs to hide outside noise, an open window or fan to keep the room cool, and blackout curtains or a sleep mask to block out light.
@avoid stimulating activity and stressful situations before bedtime. This includes vigorous exercise, big discussions or arguments, or catching up on work. Instead, focus on quiet, soothing activities, such as reading, knitting, or listening to soft music, while keeping lights low.
@ turn off screens one hour before bedtime. The light emitted from tv, tablets, smartphones, and computers suppresses your body's production of melatonin and can severely disrupt your sleep. Instead of emailing, texting, watching tv, or playing video games, try listening to a book on tape, a podcast, or reading by a soft light.
If by following these measures, still if there is difficulty to get a sound sleep, homeopathic medicines can be taken for some time to relax the body and assist in getting sleep. These medicines do not have any side effects and are not habit forming. There are various medicines to help insomnia, viz. Passiflora, kali phos, piscidia, nux, coffea, etc, but there prescription depends on individual case.
Knee osteoarthritis is a common condition affecting the knee joints. This condition results from age related degeneration of joint cartilage and synovial fluid. This results in excessive stiffness, swelling, pain and decreased mobility due to loss of lubricant functions of joint cartilage.
Treatment for Knee Osteoarthritis:
Treatment for knee osteoarthritis consists of anti inflammatory drugs, lifestyle modifications and knee exercises. In advanced stages where pain is severe or conservative therapy fails, replacement of knee joint is required. In many cases, knee replacement is not feasible or desired due to various reasons. For such cases, other treatment option is available in form of Platelet rich Plasma (PRP) injection in knee joint.
How is PRP therapy done?
The procedure involves drawing a sample of blood from the patient and then placing it in a Centrifuge machine which extracts the Platelet rich plasma (PRP) constituent from blood.The sample constitutes of platelets (blood cells) which consist of numerous healing and inflammatory chemicals. This PRP sample is injected in the knee joint under sterile precautions. This decreases inflammation, and promotes healing.
Benefits of PRP therapy:
The body’s first response to soft tissue injury is to deliver platelets. Platelets carry cells, proteins, and other growth / healing factors that initiate repair and recruit stem cells. PRP therapy’s natural healing process intensifies the body’s efforts by delivering a higher concentration of platelets within the damaged joint. Research has shown PRP therapy to be very effective at relieving pain and returning patients to their normal activities. Both Ultrasound and MRI images have shown definitive tissue repair after PRP therapy, confirming the healing process.
The need for knee replacement can also be greatly reduced by promoting repair of cartilage before joint damage becomes extensive. In fact PRP therapy works best when done in early stages of Knee Osteoarthritis.
Relieves pain without the risks of surgery or general anesthesia.
No hospital stay is required. The procedure is performed safely and takes approximately two hour including preparation and recovery time. In fact, most people return to their jobs or usual activities right after the procedure.
Most patients require 2 to 3 sessions of knee PRP therapy.
Side effects of PRP Therapy:
The procedure is free of side effects when done by experienced pain specialists. Since the therapy involves injecting patient's own blood derivative, it is a safe procedure. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.