Doctor in Dr. S.k Puri Clinic
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Management of Surrogacy
Submit a review for Dr. S.k Puri ClinicYour feedback matters!
Constipation is referred to difficult or infrequent or dry bowel movements, the passage of hard and small amounts of stool. The common symptoms of constipation are feeling bloated, sluggish, and uncomfortable. It can be acute or chronic. Acute constipation can occur suddenly and is noticeable, whereas chronic constipation begins gradually and might persists for months and/or years. At one time or another, every individual might get constipated. The reason being poor diet and lack of exercise.
Constipation is caused due to the formation of hard and dry stools that occurs as the colon absorbs too much water from the diet or if the muscles of colon contracts slowly or very sluggishly, causing stools to move very slowly. The causes of constipation are listed below:
- Low fiber diet, the most common cause of constipation.
- Not drinking enough water and other fluids
- Lack of exercise
- Some medications can cause constipation, such as painkillers, antacids, blood pressure medicines, iron supplements, anticonvulsants, etc.
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Ignoring the urge to have a bowel movement
- Overuse of laxatives
- Several diseases might cause constipation, such as neurological disorders, metabolic and endocrine disorders, and systemic conditions affecting organ system.
- Problems with colon, rectum or with intestinal functions
- Warning signs of constipation include swollen abdomen, vomiting, weight loss, and blood in the stool. When one observes any or all of these, then they should immediately consult a doctor for medication.
- Constipation can be best treated with a combination of high fiber diet, exercise and adequate intake of liquids.
- Dietary changes that one should make to treat or prevent constipation is to consume fiber-rich diet. You should include fruits and vegetables in your diet plan. Eat whole cereals that contain bran. Start slowly and gradually increase the amount of fiber to avoid bloating and gas formation. Drink enough water and liquid.
- Apart from dietary changes, use of laxatives and enemas is also approached that are taken to treat constipation.
- Types of laxatives are bulking agents, stool softeners, osmotic agents, and stimulants.
- Bulking agents are bran, polycarbophil, psyllium, and methylcellulose. The side effects include bloating, flatulence, and poor iron and calcium absorption. The bulking agents, add bulk to the stools and absorbs water. Bulking agents acts slowly and thus are the safest way to promote regular bowel movements.
- Stool softeners act slowly to soften the stools and thus bowel movements is made easy. These slightly increase the bulk of stools and stimulate natural contractions of large intestines and thus makes evacuation of stools easy.
- Osmotic agents are those that pull a large amount of water into large intestines, and as a result, stools are softened and loose for easy evacuation. The excess fluid in large intestines stimulates contractions.
- Stimulant laxatives contain irritating substances that stimulate the walls of large intestines to contract and pass the stool.
- Enemas function is to mechanically flush the stool from the rectum and lower part of large intestine. Plain water (slightly warm) is considered as best fluid to be used as an enema.
Can constipation be serious or complicated?
Constipation can sometimes be serious and complicated. The complications are hemorrhoids or anal fissures. These conditions lead to rectal bleeding. Constipation may cause hard stools to pack the rectum and intestine tight enough that prevents normal pushing of the bowel. This condition is called fecal impaction. Diverticular disease is another complication.
People who are over concern with regular bowel movements may abuse their bowel movements with the use of laxatives, suppositories, and enemas. Thus, overuse of these can actually inhibit bowel’s natural and normal contractions and worsen constipation.
Thus, constipation is a serious issue to be looked upon.
With age it becomes difficult for many men to achieve an erection and maintain it. This is known as Erectile Dysfunction. This is not necessarily related to a lowered libido. In many cases, a man may desire sex but not be able to have an erection rigid enough for intercourse. Men with a history of obesity, hypertension, diabetesand smoking are at a higher risk of suffering from erectile dysfunction as they get older. However, this condition can be treated.
Ayurvedic Medicine for Erectile Dysfunction:
Gold Bhasma: Gold Bhasma also known as Swarna Bhasma is prepared from pure gold. Nowadays, the use of technology has mitigated many tedious steps, which one had to undergo during ancient time to prepare it. It is highly effective and is used for the treatment of infertility, sexual weakness, tuberculosis, cancer, asthma and many other fatal diseases.
Silver Bhasma: Silver Bhasma is also know as Rajat Bhasma or Raupya Bhasma is a calcified Ayurvedic medicine used not just for treating erectile dysfunction, but also for a number of diseases such as, jaundice, frequent urination, enlargment of spleen, etc.
Both Gold Silver Bhasma are mixed with other Ayurvedic medicines for effective treatment of erectile dysfunction.
Other Treatments for Erectile Dysfunction:
Erectile dysfunction can be treated in a number of ways. Some of these are:
Viagra: Viagra is usually the first form of treatment for erectile dysfunction. Viagra is a type of drug also known as phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors. These drugs increase the blood flow into the penis and thus enable an erection. Levitra and cialis are other forms of phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors. However, Viagra is a temporary treatment and has a side effect that it is a habbit forming drug.
Penile Injection: If a man cannot take oral medication, a penile injection is the best form of treatment. Here, medication is directed into the side of the penis. This dilates the arteries and allows blood to flow in. thus it instantly initiates an erection.
Intraurethral Suppositories: This involves placing a soluble medicated pellet into the urethra. This increases the blood flow into the penis and will create an erection in 10-15 minutes. This form of medication is rarely used.
Vacuum Pump: A vacuum pump is another common form of treatment for this condition. It consists of a plastic cylinder that is placed over the penis and a pump that removes the air within the cylinder thus forcing blood to flow into the penis. An elastic ring is then slid onto the base of the penis to hold the erection. The ring must be removed after a maximum of 30 minutes.
Surgical Implants: There are two types of surgical implants that can be beneficial to men who have not benefitted from medication. The first is an inflatable pump that can manually pump fluid into cylinders within the penis. The second is a malleable prosthesis.
Lifestyle Changes: Obesity, hypertension, high blood pressure, excessive alcohol, smoking and a sedentary lifestyle can also be the reason a man cannot hold an erection. Addressing these factors by making conscious lifestyle changes can improve a man's ability to initiate and maintain an erection. These changes include a healthy diet, regular exercise, lowered consumption of alcohol and losing excessive weight. Living a healthy lifestyle is the only way to lower the risk of suffering from erectile dysfunction in the later years.
The stomach is a hollow sac which is made up of muscles, and it is connected to the esophagus at its top, and the first section of the small intestine at its bottom. The stomach's main function is to break down solid food by using stomach acid (hydrochloric acid).
What Is Stomach Cancer?
Stomach cancer is cancer developing from the inner lining of the stomach. It is also known as gastric cancer.
Statistics: It is the fifth most common cancer in the world. Globally, stomach cancer is the third leading cause of death from cancer.
Etiology: It is more common in men than women. The exact cause of stomach cancer is still unknown. It is more likely to develop amongst individuals with:
- Age greater than 50 years
- A habit of excessive smoking
- Intake of low-fiber diet, and those who have highly processed food, red meat, or a diet that contains a lot of salted and pickled foods
- Stomach infection caused by Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) bacteria
- History of alcohol abuse
- No exercise
- A habit of improper cooking or storing of food
Signs and Symptoms
The most common symptoms of advanced stomach cancer are given below:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Frequent heartburn
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Constant bloating
- Early satiety Bloody stools
- Dull aching pain in the stomach after meals
How is it Diagnosed?
It can be diagnosed by following tests:
- By doing blood tests to look for anemia or nutritional deficiencies
- By doing gastroscopy in which a thin, flexible tube will be inserted with a small camera to look into the stomach
- By doing a barium follow-through study in which X-rays will be taken after drinking the radio-contrast agent
- By doing a computed tomography scan to take detailed pictures of the inside of the body
- By doing a biopsy in which a small piece of tissue from the stomach will be taken to look under a microscope for signs of cancer
What is the Treatment for it?
It is treated with various methods in which either one mode is used or combinations of them can be used. They are as follows:
How to prevent it?
It can be prevented in the following ways:
- By eating refrigerated foods rather than preserved foods (those which are salted, pickled, and smoked)
- By eating a healthy diet, such as choosing whole-grain bread, pasta, and cereals instead of refined grains, and eating fish, poultry, or beans instead of processed meat and red meat
- By doing physical activity and by maintaining ideal body weight
- By avoiding tobacco useBy treating H. pylori infection
Hi sir Good afternoon I have some skin problem on my penis skin I have check and treatment this problem by skin doctor. Since 3 months.
Sweda Vidhi (Sudation)
- Sweda means sweat which is the mala through which pitta is eliminated. The therapies which help in producing perspiration are called swedana.
- In Swedana, certain procedures are done to dilate the srotas and to make the body sweat. This is done after sneha therapy. Swedana works in conjunction with sneha to facilitate the removal of ama and mala from the srotas and dhatus and to transport them back to the kostha (Gastrointestinai tract).
- It can be done in specific parts or all over the body
- It is mainly indicated for kapha and vata diseases.
A. Types of swedana
It is classifted into 4 main types
Sweating using hot sand.Used in Ama vata (acute rheumatic conditions)
2. Upanaha sweda - Poultices
Powders of herbs and food grains are mixed with vinegar, oil and a little salt .warmed, applied on specific parts which are then covered by leaves and cloth tightly.It is done in night and removed in the morning
3. Drava sweda Fomentation with warm liquids
A.Pariseka - Dhara (pouring warm liquids). E.g. Decoctions of anti vata herbs are used in Ama vata
B.Avagaha - Tub bath
4. Usma sweda
a. Pinda sweda (fomentation using bolus)
b.Nadi sweda (fomentation using tube)
c.Kuti sweda (sweat house)
this all type of swedana done in our vishwavallabh ayurvedic panchakarma center,nashik-pune.
Signs of proper swedana
- Disappcarance of cold and pain
- Softness, alertness, free movements of joints, normal skin, normal appetite etc.
- If done in excess. pitta and rakta will be vitiated.
- Thirst,giddiness,pain, rashes can manifest.
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
This is an autoimmune disease and it affects the body in many ways. It is chronic in nature and you can manage the symptoms with proper treatment. It is one of the most common types of lupus and it usually causes anaemia and general weakness in the body coupled with joint pain and headaches. It is generally known to affect women than men as the estrogen hormone triggers this condition in many cases. As the symptoms of this condition are not specific to lupus, it is not an easy task to diagnose this condition. Once it is clear, doctors will begin proper treatment and you need to be watchful about the symptoms for a long time as this condition is chronic and there is no cure to this condition. You can, however, manage the symptoms by taking suitable medication. In rare cases, it can cause severe complications and this usually happens when you are suffering from this condition for a very long duration.
Symptoms of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Some of the common symptoms of this condition include severe fatigue along with pain in the joints. It can also cause swelling of the joints and this will be very painful. You need to consider these symptoms seriously and get suitable treatment at the right time to avoid further complications.
- It can also cause a headache as the immune system works harder than required to counter the allergic reaction in the body. This can affect the normal breathing and the supply of oxygen to the brain will be reduced leading to severe headaches.
- It is also common for people suffering from this condition to experience rashes on the nose and cheeks. This condition is also generally termed as butterfly rashes and it is easily visible on the face.
- It can also cause significant hair loss due to the overworking of the immune system and this can also become permanent hair loss when suitable treatment is not provided in a timely manner.
- Some people also experience issues with clotting of blood due to this condition. It can also cause anaemia and you will feel general weakness.
- Apart from that, there can be many other symptoms depending on which organ is affected by this condition. When it affects the heart region, symptoms like chest pain and other things are very common.
- When it starts affecting the skin, it can create rashes or another sort of inflammation as an allergic reaction. In the same manner, when the digestive tract gets affected due to this condition, it can cause diarrhoea and other related symptoms in the body.
Causes of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- The exact cause of this condition is not yet established and some factors are considered to trigger this condition in many individuals.
- Even though it is not a genetic disorder, it is likely to affect people having a family history of autoimmune disorders. If anyone in your family is suffering from this condition, you need to be careful about the symptoms and get suitable treatment.
- You will be surprised to know that exposure to UV light can also trigger such a condition in many people and some sensitive people develop this even after exposure for a few minutes. You should avoid getting outside during the peak sunlight period and stay away from trouble when you are allergic to such conditions.
- Similarly, taking certain medication can trigger this condition when it causes any side effects. If you notice such symptoms, you can talk to your doctor to get an alternate prescription to treat your problem.
- Exposure to certain viruses can also cause this condition and you have to treat such issues at the earliest to avoid further complications in future.
- When you are physically stressed too much, the immune system will work hard to bring it back to normal condition and this can sometimes cause this condition. In the same way, even emotional stress can mess up with the hormonal activity in the body and affect the immune system leading to this condition.
- Even trauma can induce such conditions in many individuals even though this will usually be a temporary reaction in most cases.
- Women are more likely to get affected with this condition and the estrogen hormone is known to trigger this condition. If you notice such symptoms during the monthly cycle, you need to take suitable medication to treat the issue. This condition is also common during pregnancy and the symptoms will usually last for a short duration in this case.
Diagnosis of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- The first step in diagnosis begins with a physical examination of the symptoms and this will give the doctors some idea about the overall nature of the problem. In this situation, the symptoms like sun rashes along with ulcers will give a clear indication of the problem. Some people may also experience hair loss and even show signs of hair loss and improper heartbeat.
- After this is done, further blood tests will be suggested as this will provide some clarity about the working of the antibodies in the body. When the immune system overreacts to certain situations, it can create more antibodies and this will be clearly understood after getting the results of blood tests.
- The kidneys will not be able to remove all the unnecessary proteins from the body in this case and you can get to know such abnormalities in the Urine test. This will also show the clear overworking of the immune system and doctors will begin suitable treatment based on the results of this test.
- Along with that, an X-ray of the chest region will also help to notice any inflammation in this area. This will also give a clear indication of any improper functioning of the lungs and heart and doctors can prescribe suitable medication to treat the condition.
- It can also be due to various autoimmune diseases and you need to discuss your medical history in a detailed manner with the doctors to aid them in the diagnostic process. Remember that a series of tests may be required before they identify the exact problem in this situation.
Prevention of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- You can take suitable precautionary measures to avoid this condition in the future. Remember that you need to be watchful about the symptoms and analyze what is causing them in your body. If it happens after you eat some food or after you are exposed to some environment, make sure to avoid them in the future.
- Remember that exposure to UV light can also trigger this condition in many individuals and you should note the changes in your body after you are exposed to sunlight. If you notice any rashes or other inflammation on the skin surface, you need to be careful next time and use suitable protection to avoid UV rays. You can use some creams and lotions that will protect your exposed skin from UV radiation.
- In the same manner, you can also avoid stress to a large extent and this will help you to prevent this condition in future. It is also important to engage in a limited physical activity as overloading your body can also trigger the immune system and it can overreact in some situations.
- Also, make sure that you eat a healthy and nutritious diet as this will keep your immune system functioning in proper order. You should also note that having certain vitamin and mineral deficiencies in the body can lead to problems with bones and joints and this can get inflammation easily at a later stage. On the other hand, when you exercise and eat a healthy diet, you will be able to avoid such complications.
Treatment for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- There is no specific way to treat this condition and only the symptoms have to be managed by choosing some medication. In this situation, it is important to know about the affected region in the body so that proper treatment can be given to providing some relief.
- When it comes to treating joint pain and other related issues due to this condition, some anti-inflammatory medication may be used as this will reduce the inflammation in the body.
- In the same manner, inflammation on the skin surface can also produce rashes and use steroids as medication or cream will provide suitable relief in this situation.
- It is also possible to slow down the immune system on a temporary basis by using some medication. However, this cannot be continued for a long duration and you need to choose this treatment only as a temporary solution.
- It is also noticed that using drugs that are used to treat malaria can give effective results in this situation.
- Apart from that, you should also make suitable changes to your diet and lifestyle as this can have a significant impact on your overall health condition. It is necessary to reduce stress and eat a healthy diet to keep your immune system in proper order.
Complications of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- The complications of this condition are many as this can affect various organs of the body in no time and cause severe damage when proper treatment is not provided at the right time.
- When it normally causes blood clots along with inflammation of the blood vessels in the body, it can lead to complications like vasculitis in many individuals.
- In extreme cases, it can even lead to a heart attack as it can cause inflammation of the heart region due to the autoimmune disorder.
- When this affects the brain region, it can cause a stroke in many cases. Many individuals also report seizures on a frequent basis when they are suffering from this condition.
- It is also known to impact the memory functioning of the brain and this can affect the overall ability of the person to handle various tasks in everyday life.
- It can also cause certain behavioural changes all of a sudden without any other health conditions. This should be noticed carefully as the person suffering may not be able to distinguish this as a symptom and other people in the family should identify such symptoms.
- When it affects the lining of the lungs region, it can lead to inflammation in that area and this causes shortness of breath and other complications in the long run.
- It can put a lot of pressure on the kidney as the body reacts aggressively to normal substances and produces antibodies in large quantities. In this situation, the overall functioning ability of the kidney can get reduced to a large extent and it can even lead to inflammation of this region or complete failure of the organ in extreme cases.
- You should be very careful about this condition during pregnancy as this can lead to various complications and even affect the newborn baby. In extreme stages, it can even cause miscarriage or other complications during delivery.
Myths about Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
Myth #1: This condition can be cured:
There is no cure for this condition and you should only manage the symptoms in the long run. Whenever you notice any symptoms, you need to treat them and there is no way of completely avoiding them in the future.
Myth #2: It cannot be caused by stress:
Most people do not realize the importance of leading a stress-free life and take it for granted. However, you need to understand that emotional, as well as physical stress, can trigger such conditions in the body and you will have to suffer a lot for a long duration. It is a good idea to relax once in a while to reduce the stress levels in the body.
You should understand that this is a chronic condition and there is no way to treat this permanently. However, the symptoms can be easily managed and you need to reduce the overactive immune system during this phase. It can be easily controlled with proper medication and you should try to avoid things that can trigger them in your body. If you notice that any medication is causing this condition, you can speak to your doctor to get some alternative medicine to treat the underlying issues.
This condition is very common and it appears as red rashes on the scalp and other regions of the body. The rashes will form flakes on the surface and it is also generally called dandruff. While the exact cause of this condition is not yet known, it is generally assumed that this happens due to weather conditions combined with a yeast infection on the scalp. In some cases, the medication you take for other diseases and stress can also increase the symptoms. It does not create too many complications and will usually subside on its own within a few weeks. In some cases, treatment is also not needed when the symptoms are not severe. However, in extreme conditions, even long-term treatment may not yield good results and patients suffer from this condition for many years.
Symptoms of Seborrheic Dermatitis
- The most common symptoms you notice is the skin flakes on the scalp region. This dandruff is a very common problem that affects many people. In rare cases, it can also be formed in the eyebrow region or the beard and moustache.
- The flakes are usually white in colour and they look oily when you peel them from the skin surface. When it affects the body, it can appear on the chest, groin area and even on the face.
- You can notice red skin in the affected area and there will be constant itching sensation in that area.
- The tendency to get this condition increases with cold weather conditions. It can also get aggravated due to stress and other medication.
- It looks very similar to other skin problems and you need to visit a dermatologist for the proper treatment.
- Even babies get affected with this condition and it usually affects the scalp region.
Causes of Seborrheic Dermatitis
- It is not clear as to what causes this condition and the most likely cause is said to be due to the yeast infection. Our skin secretes oil in a natural way and this keeps it protected from various external factors. The Malassezia fungus can affect this function and flakes can get formed on the skin surface.
- Other than that, this condition can also be triggered due to the improper response of the immune system. When it overreacts to some health condition, it can result in a sudden increase of dandruff on the scalp.
- Apart from this, even genetics plays a major role and this can increase with stress.
- Some medication can also trigger this condition when the immune system is not working at its best and this usually will be a temporary reaction.
- Certain other skin diseases like psoriasis and rosacea can also cause this condition in many people.
- People suffering from epilepsy or any other heart condition may be prone to getting this disease.
Diagnosis of Seborrheic Dermatitis
In most cases, the diagnosis is done through physical examination and there is no need for biopsy and other imaging tests. When you first approach your doctor with such symptoms, you may be referred to a dermatologist as these professionals specialize in handling such diseases. Remember that the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis are similar to that of other skin diseases and only a professional dermatologist will be able to identify the exact disease based on careful analysis of the symptoms. When the affected area is washed clean and analyzed carefully, the nature of the flares and the way they have spread across the scalp and other regions will give a clear indication about the condition. After this step, you may have to undergo a blood test in some cases to determine the suitability of some medication to treat the condition. Finally, the treatment will begin with the external application of creams and lotions to reduce the symptoms and you may have to make suitable changes to your lifestyle to avoid the problems in the future.
Prevention of Seborrheic Dermatitis
- Lifestyle changes: You may have to make suitable lifestyle changes to avoid this condition in the future. To begin with, you need to understand that this condition can get triggered due to external factors and you can try to avoid them as much as possible. When the weather condition is too cold, you can wear a cap to protect the scalp and this will reduce the irritation to some level. In the same manner, it is also important to wash your scalp regularly and keep it clean so that it does not become too oily. Also watch for symptoms regularly and approach your doctor whenever you notice anything on your scalp.
- Washing your hair regularly: When you keep your scalp clean, you will reduce the chances of getting this condition in the future by a huge margin. Make sure that you use a good shampoo that is well known to prevent dandruff and this will reduce the symptoms in a few weeks. Make sure that you consult your dermatologist before choosing the right shampoo and this is essential when you are using them for your kids.
- Self-care: Along with medication, you should also work hard and maintain your scalp in good health. Always put oil on your scalp before you wash your hair. This ensures that the scalp will loosen up dandruff and you can easily wash it with a good shampoo. This will also moisturize the scalp appropriately and provide relief from redness and itchiness. You can use olive oil or any other mineral oil that enriches your scalp with essential nutrients.
- Apart from these remedies, you should also take care not to use styling gels or any other cosmetic products on your scalp as this can trigger the occurrence of symptoms in quick time. Many such products contain alcohol and they can irritate the scalp and this leads to increased redness in some people. You will also notice that dandruff flares up after using such products. You can also consider using Aloe Vera in the gel form on the affected area. This can give you relief from itchiness and also reduce the redness of the scalp.
Treatment for Seborrheic Dermatitis-
- In most cases, this condition will go away after a few days or few weeks on its own and there is no need for any particular treatment. However, when you find the symptoms very hard to deal with, you can use an anti-dandruff shampoo that is readily available in the market and try to control the flares. Remember that dandruff will keep coming every now and then whenever it gets triggered due to environmental conditions or stress. In this regard, you must understand that you need to treat this as a lifelong condition and provide suitable treatment whenever it is needed in the future.
- When you want to choose the best shampoo to treat this condition, you can take care to ensure that it has salicylic acid or zinc pyrithione as one of its ingredients. This is well known to prevent the symptoms and you will get relief from dandruff in quick time. In the same manner, even ketoconazole shampoo is also good for your scalp when you are suffering from this condition.
- If your baby is suffering from this condition, you should always use a mild shampoo that does not harm the scalp in any manner. You can even use some mineral oil before you apply shampoo and this can soften the thick patches of dandruff. Be gentle when you remove the scales as any irritation can increase the symptoms in future. When you are taking the baby outside, always use sunscreen on the scalp as the skin in the affected area will be very sensitive to UV rays.
- Apart from these therapies, you can also use antifungal products that are available in the market and get temporary relief from the symptoms. Some doctors also recommend corticosteroid lotions to reduce the flaring and you can use them after careful consultation with your doctor.
- Finally, you need to make suitable changes to your lifestyle to avoid such problems in the future. Remember that stress can trigger this condition anytime in future and you need to be very careful about this factor. Along with this, you should also maintain a healthy diet as this will strengthen your immune system and your body will be in better condition to fight the disease.
- In severe cases, your doctor may even suggest you take antifungal medication and this can give you good relief when other methods are not giving good results. However, this medication may come with some side effects and you need to bear them for a few days to get relief from this condition.
- You can also use ointments that will reduce the flaring and this can be a good way to reduce the redness and itchiness of the scalp. Your doctor will prescribe such medication after carefully examining your symptoms and your overall health condition.
Complications of Seborrheic Dermatitis
- In rare cases, this condition can lead to complications when the problem is not properly diagnosed. As the symptoms of this condition are not specific to seborrheic dermatitis, it can sometimes be confused with other skin diseases and wrong medication may be used to treat this condition.
- In this situation, the scalp can get irritated and even the redness can get increased due to the use of such medication. In most cases, using anti-inflammatory drugs to treat this condition can result in flaring up of the symptoms as the steroids will trigger dandruff in an aggressive manner.
- For this reason, you should always approach a professional dermatologist when you are dealing with such symptoms and they will be able to clearly distinguish between various skin diseases and provide the proper treatment.
- In extreme cases of seborrheic dermatitis, hair loss can be seen due to itchiness in the affected area. Many people tend to scratch the area repeatedly to remove dandruff and this can result in hair loss in that particular region. However, this condition is temporary and you can see regrowth of hair in that area after the symptoms have reduced to some extent.
- In case of misdiagnosis of this condition, using medication that contains steroids can also lead to thinning of the skin layer in the affected area. You need to be careful while using medication and always consult your doctor and get the proper treatment.
Myths about Seborrheic Dermatitis
Myth #1: Seborrheic dermatitis is caused due to lack of hygiene
Remember that this can be caused even when you maintain your hygiene in proper order. Even babies get affected due to this condition and it has got nothing to do with keeping your scalp clean. The exact cause of this disease is not known and it can get triggered due to various factors.
Myth #2: Seborrheic dermatitis is contagious
you need not worry about catching this condition from someone else in your family. It is not contagious and you will not get seborrheic dermatitis from another person. However, it makes sense to avoid using the same towels when someone is having this condition in your family. This will help the patients to avoid infection and other complications.
Myth #3: Diet changes can cure seborrheic dermatitis
While diet and lifestyle changes can bring in some strength to your overall immune system, it can in no way cure this condition. The fact is that there is no permanent cure for this condition and you need to take care of your scalp forever to avoid the symptoms.
You can approach your doctor whenever you are facing such problems and get proper treatment at the right time. One thing you need to understand is that the symptoms can be confusing as they often overlap with other health conditions. For this reason, you should always approach a professional dermatologist and get the right treatment after careful diagnosis. Also, try to maintain a healthy lifestyle so that you can avoid the symptoms in the future. There is no cure for this condition and you have to treat this as a lifelong condition that keeps flaring up whenever it is triggered due to external factors.