Doctor in City Hospital
Submit a review for City HospitalYour feedback matters!
Alport Syndrome, first detected by Dr. A. Cecil Alport and named after him is a rare inherited disease. It affects the kidney and also the inner cochlea or ear and the eyes. Passed down through families, it is caused by genetic mutations that affect the type IV collagen family of proteins. Collagen is an important tissue that forms the basement structure of the kidney, inner ear and eye.
Types of Alport syndrome
- X-Linked Alport Syndrome: A most common form of Alport Syndrome, boys who are affected with this type tend to develop serious complications and kidney failure.
- Autosomal recessive Alport syndrome (ARAS): When both the parents carry the abnormal gene and pass it down to their offspring, this type of syndrome is caused. If affects the male and female with equal severity.
- Autosomal dominant Alport syndrome (ADAS): This happens when the child inherits the abnormal gene from one of the parents. Only one copy is needed to cause a mutation.
Signs and symptoms of Alport syndrome
With all types of Alport Syndrome, the tiny blood vessels of the kidney called glomeruli are damaged and the kidney will be unable to filter the toxins from the body. The most common symptoms include:
- Hematuria – Blood in the urine
- Proteinuria – Protein in the urine
- High blood pressure
- Edema – Swelling in the legs, ankle, feet and around the eyes
- Hearing and vision problems
- Flank pain
The following tests and examinations can be performed to assess the condition and type of Alport Syndrome:
- Urine test – It helps in finding the presence of blood or protein in your urine.
- Glomerular Filtration Rate – The blood work assesses the levels of waste and protein in your blood.
- Kidney Biopsy – A tiny piece of kidney is removed with special needle and analyzed
- Hearing Test – It checks, if hearing is affected
- Vision Test – This is conducted to check any abnormalities in vision
- Genetic Test – It determines the type of Alport syndrome and confirm the diagnosis
There is no specific treatment for Alport Syndrome. However, treatment aims to relieve the symptoms and slow the progression of kidney disease.
- Medications to control high blood pressure
- Diuretics or water pills
- Limiting salt or sodium intake in your diet
- Kidney transplantation if patient is progressing towards kidney failure
- Medications to slow down the onset of kidney damage
Awareness of family history of this disorder will help in detecting Alport Syndrome at an early stage and also help you take the right steps to prevent any further complications. Seek medical attention and contact a nephrologist immediately if you have a family history of this disease.
Dear Doctors I need your suggestion one of my friend he is from Pakistani he is suffering from kidney failure he want to make kidney transplant so what will be the process and requirement.
I have one kidney from birth and its normal but few big in size my stomach is to big. So That is why I drink CUMIN and LEMON in boil water is this way is correct for kidney? Or it can damage kidney Please tell me sir. And tell me how to loose belly fat.
People often confuse renal tumors with renal cancer. Not all renal tumors are malignant in nature. Some of them can be benign as well. Mentioned below are the renal tumors, both benign as well as malignant.
Benign Renal Tumors
As the term suggests, these tumors are noncancerous and do not metastasize. The benign renal tumors can be of the following types
- Renal Adenoma: One of the most common types of benign renal tumors, renal adenoma are asymptomatic, low-grade, solid tumors which are quite small in size. It is yet not known as to what triggers the occurrence of renal adenoma. The renal adenoma seldom interferes with the normal kidney function. There may, however, be a problem if this tumor grows in size, where they mimic the RCC (Renal cell carcinoma) in their symptoms.
- Angiomyolipoma: This type of benign renal tumor is rare and often triggered by a genetic mutation (inherited). Also called as Renal Hamartoma, the tumor is often found to be a complication associated with Tuberous Sclerosis (a genetic condition that results in tumor formation in different body parts including the kidney). Angiomyolipoma, not triggered by Tuberous Sclerosis is often found to affect women who are middle aged.
- Renal Oncocytoma: The trigger for Renal Oncocytoma is not known. Unlike the renal adenomas, renal oncocytoma can grow quite large in size and are usually asymptomatic, with males being more susceptible to the condition. Another striking feature about renal oncocytoma is that it can occur in the other body parts as well.
- Fibroma: As the name suggests, fibroma is benign tumors originating from the fibrous tissues on the kidneys or adjacent to it. These rare tumors are small in size, with the exact cause being unknown. Fibroma is asymptomatic, affecting women more than men.
- Lipoma: Mainly affecting middle aged women, lipomas are found to originate from the fat cells located within the kidney (renal capsule) or adjacent tissues. Lipomas can be painful and cause hematuria when they increase in size.
Malignant Renal Tumors
As the name suggests, there are cancerous tumors that can metastasize to other body parts. The malignant renal tumors can be of the following types
- Renal cell carcinoma (RCC): Known to develop in the kidney tubules, the cancerous outgrowths can cause renal obstruction. One of the most common types of renal cancer, RCC can affect one or both of the kidneys.
- Depending on the microscopic observation, RCC may further be divided into
- Clear Cell RCC: Accounting for nearly 80% of the total RCC, under a microscope, the clear cell RCC appears clear and pale.
- Papillary RCC: Accounting for 10-15 percent of RCC, the Papillary RCC is characterized by the formation of finger-like projections within the tumor.
- Chromophobe RCC: The Chromophobe RCC are large with microscopically appearing clear and pale.
- Collecting duct RCC: Being quite aggressive, cancer cells in collecting duct RCC results in the formation of irregular tubes inside the renal tumor
- Transitional cell carcinoma: Also referred to as Urothelial Cancer or Renal Pelvis Carcinoma, the transitional cell carcinoma forms at the merger point of the kidney and the ureter.
- Renal sarcoma: It is a rare type of renal cancer originating in the connective tissue of the kidney.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Staying hydrated and consuming plenty of fluid is the key to manage kidney stone. Fluid can help the stone pass through the urinary tract, as well as refrain the body from forming new stones. While drinking water itself is good, adding certain ingredients with water can improvise flushing of stones and managing the pain. It’s recommended that every person with kidney stone should drink at least 2 litres of water every day. .
Apart from consuming 12 glasses of water every day, here is a list of alternative methods to manage kidney stones:
- Lemon juice: Consuming 2-4 glasses of lemon juice can do wonders to reduce the symptoms of kidney stones. Lemon contains citrate, a chemical ingredient that prevents calcium formation inside the body. Citrate is also capable of breaking smaller calcium crystals and flushing them through the urinary tract. Apart from this, lemon contains vitamin C and is immensely beneficial for the body.
- Basil juice: Basil comprises of acetic acid that has the capability to break down kidney stones and reduce pain. Furthermore, basil juice can lower the uric acid level and reduce the chances of future kidney stone formation. Basil leaves can be consumed with water, tea or a smoothie. However, a person should refrain from consuming basil leaves, if he is suffering from low blood sugar, low pressure and increased bleeding.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is yet another agent that is immensely beneficial to get rid of kidney stones. Being alkaline in nature, it can increase the acidic level of the stomach and prevent stone formation. Apple cider vinegar has citric properties that can dissolve smaller stones of the kidney and flush them through the urinary tract. This should not be consumed if a person is suffering from diuretics, undertaking insulin and have digoxin.
- Celery juice: Celery juice can be consumed twice or thrice a day to get rid of kidney stones. It can also be used in salads or dishes for flavour and taste. It regulate urine flow, reduce pain and clear toxins from the body. People suffering from blood disorder problems should not consume celery.
- Pomegranate juice: Pomegranate juice can improve the overall function of the kidney. It can successfully lower the acidic level of the urine and reduce the chances of kidney stone formation in future. . People suffering from liver diseases and blood pressure should refrain from having this juice.
- Kidney beans: As its name indicates, the kidney bean broth can improve the overall health of the kidney and the urinary function. It can flush out kidney stones. Kidney beans soaked in water and 2-3 glasses consumed in a day can do wonders in removing the kidney stone. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am diabetes patient. My USG of kidney shows bulky means right kidney 10.9 and left one 11.4 cm. As my urine report blood is positive, leukocytes is positive, glucose is positive, nitrites is positive, color is Amber, clarity is cloudy.
Urinary calculus is commonly known as kidney stones. In ayurvedic literature it is referred as mutrashmari. Mutra means urine, ashmari means stone. It is a troublesome complaint which may become an emergency at any point of time. Though it is a structural condition, ayurveda offers varieties of remedies and treatment regimen.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of basil leaves juice with 1 teaspoon of honey, mix, take it early in morning
- Take 4 teaspoon horse gram, add half litre of water, hit his mixture up to it reduces to one fifth, collect soup, add 2 teaspoon crushed pomegranate seeds, mix, filter and take once a day.
- Take glass of tomato juice with pinch of salt and pipper every morning.
- Take watermelon juice daily.
- Take glass of lemon juice 4 times a day.
- Take 3 g gokhru (gokshura) and 7 g kulthi (horse gram), soak for 6 hours in a liter of water, in morning boil to reduce half, filter and take this in a day at regular intervals.
- Boil 2 figs- anjeer in a cup of water and take it in early morning.
- Regularly take celery.
- Drink plenty of purified water, coconut water, barley water every day.