Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Psychologists in India. You will find Psychologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Mr. Ravi Samuel
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Submit a review for Mr. Ravi SamuelYour feedback matters!
Stress is a very common problem in today’s world. There can be various reasons for stress like relationship problems such as interpersonal relationship difficulties, problems in handling social relationships, poor financial conditions, health issues, problems of coping with hurdles at the workspace and so on. Due to stress, our body can undergo a lot of chemical and physical changes. There can be an imbalance in the hormonal levels which may trigger physical changes such as weight loss.
So, due to the complications in this hectic world, each person is suffering from some amount of stress. We cannot escape from the common day to day problems and this may lead to an adverse effect on our health in the long run.
One should note that stress is not always bad, sometimes, it is important to experience stressful situations to increase the motivation to bring out the best in you. But in cases of stressful situations, the cortisol and adrenaline-like hormones are released. But when the stressful conditions are prolonged, the body release stress hormones more frequently and this may lead to the inflammation in the body at various location and lead to the weakening of immune system.
- Stress creates a lot of impact on the body weight and metabolism of our body. You can actually gain weight due to stress. It is because the adrenal glands stimulate the brain to release cortisol in a continuous manner to produce more glucose in the liver to keep your energy state high.
- The stress leads to increase in calorie intake as the person likes to eat a lot of fatty food and due to this, abdominal obesity increases. This can cause the greater risk for diabetes, heart diseases and weight issues.
- Also, the excess production of cortisol hormone can interfere with the production of testosterone and other hormones essential for regulation of metabolism. The lower level of testosterone causes loss of muscles, strength reduction and gain in weight. Males who face the problem of deficiency of testosterone, may face the higher risk of getting enlarged breasts, erectile dysfunctioning and depression.
- Also, the catabolic rate increases under the influence of cortisol. This will lead to the loss of muscle strength and reduction in protein synthesis lead to difficulty in building mass.
- Therefore, chronic stress can cause disruption in the functioning of hormones and decreases the testosterone levels which in turn can lower down the metabolism. It leads to increase in appetite and you may end up in eating junk food and this overeating can cause the increase in weight.
- It is really very important to have control over stress by eliminating the unnecessary tension by following certain ways. You can first identify what leads to stress and then the reasons responsible for the triggering of stressful situations. You can also opt for medications and other breathing techniques to keep yourself calm. You should always find time to exercise and it will help in reducing stress.
My friends having maladaptive physcology problem is there any cure. P.s. No hard medications as possible.
I am addicted to smoking. And I want to stop smoking. Because of this I am suffering lot of problems. So please suggest me how to stop this.
I lost my love, I always thinks about her I am feeling very depressed every time mind diverted, please help me!
A person with anxiety disorders is said to suffer from feelings of terror and anxiety pertaining to the future as well as to the current situation. These feelings manifest themselves physically in forms like shakiness, and heart palpitations. Though the exact cause of the condition is still not known, risk factors associated with the condition have been identified:
- Being female - It's said that women are twice at risk of developing anxiety disorders than men. Various factors have been found to increase this problem in women such as cultural pressures of putting all efforts in fulfilling the needs of others.
- Family history - Your risk of developing anxiety disorders increases if one of your family members suffers from the problem. Several studies show a strong connection between the fears of the parent and that of the child. Experts also believe that a child can also learn the phobias and fears of his or her parents by observing their reaction to a specific event.
- Type of personality - An individual's personality is also an indicator of his or her risk of suffering from anxiety disorders. Studies reveal that children who are shy and have a history of being bullied tend to develop anxiety disorders afterward. Similarly, children who worry a lot during uncertain situations are also more prone to developing anxiety disorders.
- A history of trauma - Anxiety disorders can also be triggered by traumatic events and individuals who have a family history of the condition, a psychological makeup that makes them prone to the condition or biochemical factors are more susceptible to falling for this condition.
- Medical conditions - Even though the cause and effect relationship between medical conditions and the disorder is yet to be ascertained, certain medical conditions can also augment one's risk for anxiety disorders. These medical conditions may be obstructive sleep apnea, migraines, irritable bowel syndrome and so on.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!