Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dietitian/Nutritionists in India. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dt. Ms. Minacshi PettukolaYour feedback matters!
I am a diabetic patient. Please provide me with a list of fruits, vegetables etc which are to be taken and which are to be avoided ?
I am girl. I have bigger nose and very wide between two eyes. And my ear is very away from my face. So I need reshape my ear and nose. So what is solution for this surgery.
In my pregnancy test one dark one light line docter advised me bed rest as my hormone lvl is low. please suggest me what to do.
Benefits of black sesame seeds
1. Anti-ageing properties: the chinese believe that the nutrients in black sesame seeds can help in postponing or reversing, certain age-related side effects. As per a study done by harvard university in 2010, black sesame seeds are rich in vitamin b and iron, and most people who have a vitamin b or iron deficiency show symptoms like hair turning gray, hearing loss and memory loss, all of which are the indicators of ageing.
2. Decreases the risk of cancer:
According to Dr. Ronald dephino, principal investigator, m. D. Anderson cancer centre, houston, the sesamin found in sesame seeds is found to protect the liver against the damage caused by free radicals in the body. Also, the seeds are rich in fiber, lignans (cell reinforcements) and phytosterol (phytochemicals), which can protect you against the development of colon cancer.
3. Relief for constipation and indigestion:
Dr. Amol ghosh from n. R. S. Hospial in kolkata, says, the black sesame seed can help in curing constipation due to the high fiber content and unsaturated fatty acid content. The oil found in the seed can lubricate your intestines, while the fiber in the seed helps in smooth bowel movements. These seeds also help in clearing up worms in your intestinal tract and improve the digestion process. grinding the seeds or soaking them overnight can help make the seeds more digestible.
4. Stabilizes your blood pressure:
Black sesame seeds are rich in magnesium that helps prevent hypertension. Polyunsaturated fats and the compound sesamin present in sesame oil are known to keep blood pressure levels in check.
5. For healthier bones:
According to Dr. Gargi sharma, nutritionist at aayna clinic in delhi, osteoporosis is a condition of fragile bones with an increased susceptibility to fracture. Bone mass tends to decrease after the age of 35, and bone loss occurs more rapidly in women after menopause. Black sesame seeds are abundant in calcium and zinc that your bones strong.
My wife aged 30 years has a obese abdomen after her 4th delivery by sygerin before which she has had not for the previous 3 normal deliveries, if there any medication to reduce it to or slim it normal position Thanks.
Healthy eating gives kids the energy they need for their busy days.
Here are some great ways to make it easier.
Breakfast is important: it can be up to 12 hrs since their last meal, so kids need to refuel for the day ahead. Give him healthy choices like cereal and reduced fat milk, toast, fresh fruit, eggs on toast, juice and reduced fat yoghurt.
Water works: get kids into the habit of drinking water to keep them hydrated throughout the day.
Snack smart: encourage your kids to take an interest in their health early in life by planning their own healthy snacks-this will help them look for a healthy diet when they get older.
Get cooking: food is not just about good nutrition; it's one of life's great pleasures. Transform your kids into young cooks-even young children can help peel carrots, pod peas, great cheese, put together tacos or design their own healthy pizza toping. If they've helped make it, they'll be more likely to enjoy eating it.
Slow and steady: encourage them to eat slowly. This prevents overeating and helps them recognize when they're full.
Eat at the table: eating snacks and meals sitting down at the table or kitchen bench instead of in front of the tv is good habit for the whole family.
Get a balance: variety and balance are the keep to helping a child enjoy a healthy diet. Aim to eat a variety of foods each day (this depends on the age of the child) including fruit, vegetables breads and cereals, lean meat or fish and reduced fat dairy products.
Tasty exploration: encourage kids to try different food. Exposure to lots of different tastes and flavours adds excitement to meals.
How fenugreek works?
Fenugreek seeds are rich in soluble fibre, which may help to lower the blood glucose level through delayed gastric emptying and slowed carbohydrate absorption. The amino acid contained in the seeds may also directly stimulate insulin secretion and reduce insulin resistance. Fenugreek may also increase the number of insulin receptors in red blood cells and improve glucose utilization in peripheral tissues.
How to use?
Take a teaspoonful of fenugreek seeds and soak in water the overnight. Eat these soaked in the morning. These seeds can taste bitter but over time you can adjust to them. Drink all the water and chew up the soaked seeds. You may need more water to push them down.
The bitter taste of fenugreek seeds can be minimized by toasting them, adding honey or buying de-bitterized seeds. Powdered seeds can also be useful.
The usual dose of fenugreek seeds is 5 to 30 grams with each meal or 15 to 90 grams all at once with one meal.
What are the effects of fenugreek seeds on diabetes?
In type ii diabetes, adding fenugreek seeds to a meal decreases the increase in blood glucose after the meal. Fenugreek seeds show improved blood glucose control and insulin function. It reduces the fasting blood glucose in both type I and ii diabetes.
Dyslipideamia and heart disease are common in diabetics. Fenugreek seeds promote heart health and help in lowering blood cholesterol levels.
What are the side effects of fenugreek seeds?
Fenugreek seeds are completely safe when used in moderation. Nausea, abdominal discomforts like diarrhea and/or gas are few minor side effects which usually subside after a few days of use. When used topically on skin watch for skin irritation and rashes. These seeds are not recommended in pregnancy, as it causes uterine contraction.
Day by day. My father's health is breaking down. In last 3 months he lost 4 kg of weight. This year in march he was attacked by pox. What should I do?
Your eyes are one of the most important sense organs, which help in perceiving up to 80 percent of all major impressions. All your important daily activity like reading, internet surfing, driving etc are done with the help of your eyes. You should never take your eyes for granted. There are many ways in which you can take care of your eyes to ensure that you see and experience the world at its very best.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking makes you vulnerable to a majority of health related problems. When it comes to the health of your eyes, smoking can place you at a risk of uveitis (inflammation of the middle layer of your eye which includes ciliary body, iris and choroid) and cataracts (clouding of the lens in your eyes leading to a blurry vision).
- Wear sunglasses: Proper sunglasses can protect you from the harmful ultra violet (UV) rays of the sun. You should still use sunglasses even if your contact lenses offer UV protection. Too much of UV rays can cause pingeucula (yellow bump on the eyeball) and other serious eye problems. Polarized lenses can help to give your eyes proper protection while driving.
- Screen time: Minimize the amount of time staring at the computer screen as it can cause
- Eye strain
- Dry eyes
- Head ache
- Back and shoulder pain
- Anti- Glare: Use an anti-glare screen on your computer at work so that the strain and pressure on your eyes are less.
- Regular exercise: Exercise such as walking can prevent degeneration of the macula (present in the center of the retina in your eyes) which typically occurs by the time you reach the age of 60.
- Don't Ignore: You should look at changes in your vision as an early warning sign. The changes would include difficulty to see in low light, hazy and double vision, along with abnormal swelling and severe pain in your eyes.
You should visit your eye doctor for check ups at least once every two years. Eye diseases like diabetic retinopathy have no early warning symptoms and can only be diagnosed through a comprehensive eye exam. You should also ensure that the prescription for your contact lenses and eye glasses are up to date. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a general physician.