Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

Dr. Venkatesh Mathan Kumar

Psychiatrist, Chennai

Dr. Venkatesh Mathan Kumar Psychiatrist, Chennai
Submit Feedback
Report Issue
Get Help

Personal Statement

I pride myself in attending local and statewide seminars to stay current with the latest techniques, and treatment planning....more
I pride myself in attending local and statewide seminars to stay current with the latest techniques, and treatment planning.
More about Dr. Venkatesh Mathan Kumar
Dr. Venkatesh Mathan Kumar is a trusted Psychiatrist in Janani Hospital, Chennai. You can visit him at Dr. Venkatesh Mathan Kumar@Arokya Hospital in Janani Hospital, Chennai. You can book an instant appointment online with Dr. Venkatesh Mathan Kumar on has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 35 years of experience on You can find Psychiatrists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.


Languages spoken


Book Clinic Appointment

Arokya Hospital

#32, Pillaiyar Koil Street, Nesapakkam, Landmark: Near To Pilliyar Kovil.Chennai Get Directions
View All

Consult Online

Text Consult
Send multiple messages/attachments
7 days validity
Consult Now


View All Services

Submit Feedback

Submit a review for Dr. Venkatesh Mathan Kumar

Your feedback matters!
Write a Review


Nothing posted by this doctor yet. Here are some posts by similar doctors.

I am a 22 year old boy, in a long term relationship. Since 5 years. Everything was normal till 3 years but since last 2 years I had been suffering from anxiety and a bit depression. The problem is that I hav become emotionless. I do not feel those emotions which once made me smile, made me cry, made me excited, neither in my relationship nor with anyone else. What could be the reason.

Reparenting Technique, BA, BEd
Psychologist, Bangalore
I am a 22 year old boy, in a long term relationship. Since 5 years.
Everything was normal till 3 years but since last...
Three years ago you were in late adolescence and obviously that it the last time some unresolved childhood issue will surface looking for a resolution. I feel that you need to go for counseling and explore what that issue is: I suspect from your description that it has to do with some rejection. The loss of affect may have to do with a defense against dealing with feelings. Kindly explore this with the counselor and you will find a lot of relief.
11 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

What are the best foods, exercises and practices if any for improving memory power and concentration?

Homeopath, Faridabad
Hi, Take homoeopathic medicine for increasing memory - Anacardium 200/ once daily. Management: -Meditate for at least 15 to 30 minutes each day physically changes your brain, making you less anxious, and more rational and empathetic. -Besides increasing your physical strength and flexibility, yoga changes your brain. Research suggests that in addition to reducing stress, anxiety, and depression, yoga protects the brain from shrinking with age. -Exercise daily as it would can help offset the cognitive decline brought on by aging and increasingly sedentary lifestyles. -Get enough sleep. On average, adults need between 7.5 and 9 hours of sleep each night. When you aren’t getting enough sleep, it affects your brain’s ability to do this, and your memory suffers. -Spend time with people whose company you enjoy, and who make you feel like the best version of you. -laughter can improve short-term memory in older adults. -Cutting down on your use of technology (i. E. Sitting in front of your computer, phone, or tablet) for even 30 minutes can improve your brain health and help you think more deeply. Homoeopathic medicines are very effective for increasing concentration and if done with yoga, will give you great results! But practice the following poses if you don’t have any medical condition or pregnancy or else take an advice from your concern doctor and then only perform these. 1. Shashankasana: Sit in Vajrasana with hands on the thighs. The upper body is straight and relaxed. Inhaling raise both arms above the head. Exhaling keep the back straight and bend upper body and arms forward from the hips, until arms and forehead touch the floor. The buttocks remain on the heels. Breathing normally remain in this position for a while. Relax the whole body, especially the shoulders, neck and back. Inhaling keep the back straight and raise the upper body and arms. Exhaling return to the starting position. Practice the exercise 3 times in total. Remain bending forward for sometime and consciously perceive the movement of the breath on the spine. 2. Virasana: Sit in Vajrasana. Hands rest on the thighs and the body is relaxed. Bring the left foot beside the right knee with the sole of the foot flat on the floor. Place the left elbow on the left knee and rest the chin in the hand. Right hand rests on the right thigh. Tuck the toes of the right foot under. The right knee remains in contact with the floor. Transfer the weight onto the right heel. Concentrate on a fixed point in front. Breathing normally remain in this position for as long as comfortable. Return to the starting position. Repeat on the other side. 3. Sit in Vajrasana. Body is straight and hands rest on the thighs. Relax the whole body. Inhaling stretch the arms above the head, then bring them behind the back and grasp the left wrist with the right hand. Exhaling bend the body forward from the hips, keeping the back straight, until the forehead touches the floor. The buttocks remain on the heels. Breathing normally concentrate on the whole body and relax. Remain in this position for as long as comfortable. Inhaling slowly bring the body upright. At the same time stretch the arms above the head. Exhaling return to the starting position.
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Hi I am 19 yrs old and I have speech problem. I can't pronounce'r' clearly. When I'm with friends, it sucks. please tell me any remedies?

General Physician, Gurgaon
Hello, This problem can be solved by Collection of Exercises, Speech therapy, treatment and home cure 1.Exercises are effective in treatment of physiological causes of stammering. In general, exercises are meant to provide strength to the organs associated with speech including tongue, lips, jaw, trachea and lungs. Kindly consult to good speech therapy clinic 2.Deep breathing exercise are very effective 3.chewing Indian gooseberry, Almonds, Black pepper, Cinnamon and dried dates are known to clear speech congestion 4.This problem can be solved by Meditation i can give you address of rajyoga meditation center near your house (this is free of cost)
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I am female of 34 years having fear from air travelling can anyone help me to get rid off?

DHMS (Diploma in Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery)
Homeopath, Hyderabad
I am female of 34 years having fear from air travelling can anyone help me to get rid off?
Hi, homoeopathy offers good solution based on such mental symptoms- take these two medicines one day before and on the date of journey.- 1. Arsenicum alb 200-- one dose (6 to 10 pills) in the morning and one in the evening 2. Gelsemium 200--one dose (6 to 10 pills) in the morning and one in the evening.
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Is Your Loved One Suffering From Depression? Know How to Handle Them!

Masters in Clinical Psychology & Certified Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Practioner, Certified Neuro linguistic programming Practioner, Masters in Clinical Psychology, Post Graduate Diploma in Child and ADolescent Counselling
Psychologist, Pune
Is Your Loved One Suffering From Depression? Know How to Handle Them!

Depression is such an ailment that may be intensely distressing and may lead to severe damage to the afflicted person and their close ones, if left without proper care and treatment. So if you are in charge of caring for patients affected with chronic depression, then it may seem challenging as well as equally rewarding. You will feel challenged when you're trying to figure out a possible solution to help the patient. Each patient is a distinct individual with varying needs contrary to the patients affected with diabetes or cardiac disorders where the treatments are properly schemed and structured.

Caring for yourself is also important-

When you are trying to deal with patients affected with depression, you will first have to properly recognize depression and anxiety. When someone you love is affected with depression, you will try your level best to help that person come out of the situation. However, note that it is also important to take care of your own mental as well as physical health. Because when you are trying to help a person come out of depression, it is likely that you too would face similar psychological distress. A recent study reported that caregivers of depressed people with bipolar disorder and severe depressive problems were more susceptible to psychological troubles than care providers of other healthcare needs like diabetes or cancer among general population. So it is really imperative to look after yourself as well.

Sticking to a well-regulated treatment plan-

Though social support is significant, it alone cannot help in suppressing depression. If you know a person encountering pangs of depression, advise him or her to seek professional assistance. Depression is such a clinical condition that requires to be dealt with medication, therapy or a balanced combination of both. You will have to make them understand that you care about them, but you alone cannot succeed in healing that person without proper medical guidance. Encourage such people to closely follow a physician’s advice and take proper medicines as recommended by the healthcare provider.

Insisting on following healthy habits-

You will have to try to encourage the patients in regulating their energies into doing something positive for both mind and body. This can be aptly done through exercise, which helps in lowering the risk of anxiety as well as depression with regular practice. This, along with the intake of a healthy balanced diet would also help them to recover faster.

While doing your bit to aid a person come out of depression, you should also take him or her to a responsive psychologist who can recommend faster methods of getting rid of depression permanently.

2702 people found this helpful

Hi i am 22 I dont have a girlfriend. Bt I like one friend f mine I want to make her girlfriend bt m afraid f saying her. What normally girls think for relationship. I hesitate whether she ll taught me after I said.

Psychiatrist, Amritsar
U can always express honestly. Show respect towards her. Dont overreact. Females like good manners, respect, love without any precondition. If she does not respond then let her go. Every one has his own feelings.
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I feel my memory is going to very weak right now I am looking for a job but in an interview I forgot everything felt like blank please tell me what should I do?

Reparenting Technique, BA, BEd
Psychologist, Bangalore
Either you had a panic attack or you are under undue stress. If you meet with a counselor and get that taken care of, you should be quite okay. In the meantime do some of these recommendations very faithfully: Daily exercise of at least half an hour is a must. Even if you go to a gym, ask for aerobic and/or callisthenic exercises with whatever else you are doing. A healthy body harbors a healthy mind. With regard to memory, it is very important that your brain and body is ideally rested to be able to recall whatever is required, rather comfortably. Puzzles pose problems to the brain that help it to use new pathways and neurons, which give the brain considerable exercise. It taxes the left brain to use logic to solve the myriad possibilities which other activities do not stimulate. Crosswords are excellent for vocabulary learning and use. Jigsaws and Rubik cube stimulate different permutations to finally settle on the most likely one. Picture completion and anagrams help approach problem-solving from several angles. Do Sudoku, and memory co-relation activities and skills. Have a good night’s sleep, have a good breakfast of more proteins, meditate often, remain free of stress, eat a lot of fiber (whole grains, fruits and vegetables), nuts, avocado, eat dark chocolate, consume less of fat and use olive oil instead, do Yoga meditation exercises, etc. You need to check out if you are stronger visual or auditory. The visual is a better mode than the auditory. However, if you combine the two modes, you will get the best concentration. Short-term memory is a faculty of the left brain, and long-term memory is a feature of the right brain. When people are stressed, they tend to favor the right brain and abandon the left brain, where short-term memory resides. So, it is really very simple: deal with the stress and activate left brain functions. Here are a few suggestions to activate left brain function: shut your left nostril and breathe, move your eyes from right to left and vice versa for at least half a minute at a time, and do callisthenic exercises with some form of counting, regularly. There is a new exercise called Super Brain Yoga, which is done by holding the right earlobe with your left thumb and index finger, and the left earlobe with your right hand’s thumb and index finger. In this position, you must squat down and rise up and do this for five minutes every day. If your home life is full of distractions and stress, it is likely to affect your memory, adversely. In that case, I suggest that the family goes for counseling too. The following foods do help too: Blueberries, walnuts, turmeric, Spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, acorn squash, green tea, oily fish, boiled egg, turkey, apples, oatmeal, leafy greens, lentils, pumpkin seeds, avocado, cinnamon, thyme, sunflower seeds, and red wine. Avoid sugar and junk food. You may also include these noted foods that are good for your brain health: Brain-Friendly Foods MIND stands for Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay. But the MIND approach “specifically includes foods and nutrients that medical literature and data show to be good for the brain, such as berries,” says Martha Clare Morris, ScD, director of nutrition and nutritional epidemiology at Rush University Medical Center. You eat things from these 10 food groups: •Green leafy vegetables (like spinach and salad greens): At least six servings a week •Other vegetables: At least one a day •Nuts: Five servings a week •Berries: Two or more servings a week •Beans: At least three servings a week •Whole grains: Three or more servings a day •Fish: Once a week •Poultry (like chicken or turkey): Two times a week •Olive oil: Use it as your main cooking oil. •Wine: One glass a day You avoid: •Red meat: Less than four servings a week •Butter and margarine: Less than a tablespoon daily •Cheese: Less than one serving a week •Pastries and sweets: Less than five servings a week •Fried or fast food: Less than one serving a week.
3 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Hi there, Actually I am a chain smoker and I have been smoking for last 5 years, which is not effecting my health And I want to quite, so can you please guide me to quite smoking?

Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine and Surgery (BAMS), Masters in psychology counselling
Psychologist, Hyderabad
Dear lybrate-user, it is good that you wants stop smoking a normal human takes oxygen into lungs 15 -20 times per minute (15 - 20 breaths) lungs mixes oxygen in blood and it purifies our blood, by smoking we are mixing not only oxygen adding and mixing bad elements like nicotine etc. In oxygen, that spoils our blood and our body all organs like lungs, heart, kidney etc. In our body. How to quit: by willingness and willpower" where there is a will there is a way" reduce one by one day by day if you need any support please inform.
12 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I am a vegetarian, 42 yrs old. Being a employee in a corporate office, I would like to look sharp, active and composed and feel & show confidence in my face and body language. Though I eat well, I am not able to maintain what I have described above. What should I do to maintain what I like to?

MBBS, Diploma in Psychological Medicine, MD - Psychiatry
Psychiatrist, Chennai
Conditions such as depression, strssors, thyroid dysfunction, sleep disordors, vitamin def such as B12 could be checked out/ruled out
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Hi, I M pursuing my masters.I am a drop out in 11th but have scored distinction in 10th board n 12th.But I still have that guilt n always find my family feeling ashamed of me for this.M in depression since last 7yrs,I don't speak much,always frown face,unfriendly, like to be alone n sleep a lot.I haven't concentrated on any work I have taken up since then.

(MRCPSYCH-UK), MD - Psychiatry, MBBS
Psychiatrist, Hyderabad
You could be suffering from Persistant Depressive disorder. You will definitely improve with medications and counseling. Kindly consult a psychaitrist for a resolution of your problems.
Submit FeedbackFeedback

How to stop smoking cigarettes and any anti nicotine tablet available or any other way to quit smoking?

Reparenting Technique, BA, BEd
Psychologist, Bangalore
Just the fact that you want to give up smoking is a good starting point. The habit can be very difficult to halt because of the many conditions attached to smoking. In fact these conditions can exist all through the day unlike other addictions. But your desire to want to stop is the most important factor. It is important to find out about the ill-effects of smoking to have a reason that alarms you about continuing in the habit. The information is really scary. The nicotine in tobacco smoke stimulates the heart beat to raise the blood pressure in no time at all. So you must avoid it like the plague: it is just very bad medicine for you. In fact it is highly toxic too. You will need to stop smoking or consuming any tobacco related items with immediate effect. You should start vigorous exercises, gradually increasing it over a period of time. Do deep breathing exercises every time you feel like smoking (try Yoga), and replace the oral urge with some healthy food substitute to satiate the need. You may also take hard candy or chewing gum. If the urge is too strong, then use nicotine chewing gum or nicotine patches, for a little while until the smoking drive reduces substantially. You may also join Smokers Anonymous in your city where the support is really extraordinary for like-minded people who are also in the same situation. Keep yourself occupied or engaged with interesting activities during the times when it is most tempting. Keep the company of non-smokers for some time i.e. at least for the first 21 days. Above all announce it to everyone that you have quit smoking. Here?s a piece of very good advice: even if you accidentally/willfully take a cigarette, it is not the end of the world ? you can start the cessation all over again. You must persevere with the best support until you defeat this addiction. Counseling is very useful in the initial stages and when temptations are at their highest. All the damage you incurred earlier because of the smoking can be reverted back to normal in quick time.
24 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Stomach ache wen I wake up early morning or at bed time. And as air passes it get well I am taken pan 40 in early morning before breakfast, afternoon and night from a week but not much improvement is seen. But gets som relief from pan 40. Please tel me the problem I am facing. I consume alcohol and smoke as well.

General Physician, Cuttack
Stomach ache wen I wake up early morning or at bed time. And as air passes it get well I am taken pan 40 in early mor...
Your problem is due to hyperacidity 1.Take bland diet, Avoid foods which cause acidity like spicy, oily, fatty and junk foods, onion, garlic, citrus fruit, tomato etc 2..Have proper Breakfast, Don’t skip or postpone your meal, Take home made food, Avoid food and water from outside, 3.Eat smaller meals at frequent intervals like 5-6 meals per day, and don't overeat. 4.Drink plenty of water. Take your meal regularly and timely. Avoid fasting, Don’t skip your breakfast. 5. Stop smoking, consumption of alcohol and tobacco, excess tea or coffee if you are having, 7. Avoid stress 8. Take one tablet of pan40 in the morning before breakfast daily for few days. 9. If no relief, Consult Gastroenterologist for further advice
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I am 26 year old man. I am suffering from psychological problem from last 1 year. My girl friend broke up with me (but I had not broke with her) 1 year back. Somehow I manage the situation and move on in life. But she keep on calling me 2-3 times month and some time 2-3 time a week also. Whenever I talked to her all past memories recollected in my mind & I goes into depression as it is impossible for me to talk to her as friend only. If I do not pick her call then I become anxious & restless & start thinking that may be she needed my help. Best thing is she never call me or text me but this is not happening. I had told her 3-4 times to not call me as I can not talk to you as friend only but she never listened to me. Please help me as I can't scold her or treat her badly. Thanks in advance.

MBBS, MD - Psychiatry
Psychiatrist, Mumbai
As long as you keep talking to her, taking her calls and keeping contact with her, you will not be able to move on. If you want to get over her and move on with your life, a clean break is advised. Ending a relationship is difficult enough but staying in touch with your ex girlfriend will keep your focus on her constantly. Take a hard look at why you are maintaining contact with her. She doesn't seem to be interested in getting back with you but is just contacting you when she wants something. This situation is keeping you stuck in a vicious cycle. Take a decision and break the pattern.
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I am a B. Tech student. I have written the gate exam second time. And it didn't go well. And after that I think I went to depression. I think I have lost myself. Please suggest something.

DHMS (Diploma in Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery)
Homeopath, Ludhiana
I am a B. Tech student. I have written the gate exam second time. And it didn't go well. And after that I think I wen...
By going into depression will not solve your problem, but you will have to find a solution of your present condition on your own and nobody will help you or guide you, you will have to use your own brain to come out of this depression and my homoeopathic medicines will help you in this direction but I want you only to take help of these medicines for few days and once normal, leave these medicines as I do not want jitesh to be medicine dependent. Most of the successful people in this world have made their own way in their own terms and conditions but you simply by saying depression seems that you are scared of this world. Do not be scared and come out of your own created web and be a man. You can do what others can do, you just need motivation and nothing else. Work hard on your goals, only then it will be yours. Sitting idle and giving the name to your scares as depression will end you nowhere but darkness. One day you will surely thank me for these suggestions homoeopathic medicine alpha ts (wilmar schwabe india) drink 20 drops in 20 ml fresh water 3 times daily for 15 days. Passiflora inc q (dr reckeweg) drink 40 drops in 20 ml fresh water 15 minutes before sleep bramari pranayam daily.
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Dear Doctor My son has been suffering from OCD for past more than a year, he tries to clean his TV screen repeatedly and checks his electronic gadgets. Has been under treatment for anxiety, depression and also OCD last two years. Present medication is Fludac, sized on and admenta. Not able to control his OCD and feels stressed all the time, is not able to concentrate and does not like to go to college, please advise. Very tormenting for him as well as his parents.

MD - Psychiatry
Psychiatrist, Chennai
I can understand the OCD symptoms being severe in intensity along with anxiety and depression. But whatever be the severity OCD symptoms can definitely be brought under control. What is the dose of fludac and sizodon. Admenta doesn't act on OCD symptoms. I am surprised why another OCD reducing ,medication has not been added. I think he needs revision of prescription, kindly take a 2nd opinion, from an experienced psychiatrist, he should be alright. Also, if possible combine CBT and Behavior modification technique from a a clinical psychologist, for better daily functioning. Wishes to your son for speedy remission.
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I am very sensitive feel pain when I saw any children or old age suffering for food or shelter 2ND problem is my mind gets very much disturbed when I try to find an answer to a question that after death what happens to the property of a human which is called soul I know the answer that it is a real fact but why it disturbs me please help out I have crossed a life with struggle like migration from Kashmir residing in tents for 7 years and now after a struggle am on respected position but again this question which is a point of disturbance Best regards.

MS - Counselling and Psychotherapy, Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology, Bachelor of Arts - Psychology and English Literature
Psychologist, Coimbatore
I am very sensitive feel pain when I saw any children or old age suffering for food or shelter 2ND problem is my mind...
Hi lybrate-user! You have gone through difficulties in life, struggled hard, as you told life in Kashmir is really tough, that is the reason your heart and mind is so soft and sensitive. I will suggest you it is up to you to carry out or not, you can do some social service like providing food for the poor, food or clothing or donation to the orphans or orphanage, which will give you emotional satisfaction. You need to keep going on and on right. There are people who are good as well as bad, it is a mixture of good and evil, you can't actually stay stagnant at one point and keep thinking about this 4G life, which is Kaliyug according to Lord Vishnu, if you do so people will cheat and let you down. You are good, be good, do good, live good, but do not interfere in others affair unless otherwise you have the power to do so, it is proverb survival of the fittest, that is this 4G LIFE AND WORLD. Everything has changed. So you need to do your duty alone cannot expect the result. Soul as you know is immortal, it takes the place of another body after one body is destructed just like tearing our clothes, that is the chain. Be strong. Be good. Live good till your breath. Take care.
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

My Pap smear showed moderate neutrophilic infiltrate. My gynecologist advised me to take zifi oz, Izra d and signoflam twice a day for 7 days. From 5th day onwards, I'm experiencing on and off itchy hives. Could this be side effects of any of these medicines? And what should I do further?

MBBS, MD - Obstetrtics & Gynaecology
Gynaecologist, Gurgaon
My Pap smear showed moderate neutrophilic infiltrate. My gynecologist advised me to take zifi oz, Izra d and signofla...
Seems to be Medicines effect, though ideally you should have got your Culture and sensitivity done too to see the type of Infection you had. Now that you have almost finished with the med effect get a repeat pap smear done from a different place and see for the results.
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I am suffering from depression from 2 years I had discontinued my medicine for last 6 months now negative thoughts always coming I i have no peace of mind suicide thoughts coming no interest in daily work please help.

Psychologist, Delhi
I am suffering from depression from 2 years I had discontinued my medicine for last 6 months now negative thoughts al...
Dear Lybrate user In this age of modernisation every thing is changing very rapidly specially moral values and humanity .Everyone is becoming self centred and thinking about themselves only But it does't mean there is nothing positive in this world, what it requires is slightly change in our perception ,Don't wait for condition to be good Do some efforts to make condition good, you are asking for help means you are ready to change this situation that's the positive point .think about few things whether any thing bothering you. You need to find the cause. You can take help of any counsellor regarding this. If you need my help you can contact the mean time do few things ,it will make difference-- 1.make some good friends. 2.Do some new activity .As per as research on human behaviour it is found that if we get something new intresting we forget everything for few days. Think in which activity you are intrested. 3. Try to interact with people as much as you can. I know if you will go around people mentally you will not be there but its ok slowly you will feel better. 4.make some plan with friends. 5.make yourself busy. 6.make short targets and work to do for particular day 7.your brain should be in active condition and its up to you that how can you make it in active condition you can join music class or dance class, or can take tution or can do painting or can go for long drive or make some friend on any social site or can try cooking. comedy show 9 Don't give time to yourself so that you don't get time to think 10 Last but most important do yoga ,meditation, deep breathing exercise such as inhale air forcibly and exhale air forcibly. Take care.
15 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback
View All Feed