Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Cardiologists in India. You will find Cardiologists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Cardiologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Balloon Angioplasty Procedure
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Holistic Heart Wellness & Health Care - Ayurveda
Mitral Valve Replacement Surgery
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Treatment of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart Att
Cardiac Ablation Procedure
Coronary Bypass Surgery
Carotid Angioplasty And Stenting Procedure
Cardiac Catheterization Procedure
Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (Icds) Tre
Angioplasty Stent Surgery
Preventing Stent Surgeries
Submit a review for Dr. VaishnaviYour feedback matters!
Hypertension or High Blood Pressure (HBP) is a long-term or chronic health condition where the pressure of the flow of blood is always high in the arteries. High blood pressure can develop over many years and affects everyone at some point in life but if not treated for a very long time, it can escalate the risks of a number of cardiovascular problems and chronic kidney disorders.
1. Primary hypertension - High blood pressure caused by genetic, prenatal or other natural causes like aging (people over 60 develop HBP) is known as primary hypertension.
2. Secondary hypertension - Secondary hypertension is that which is caused due to specific conditions, like kidney disorders, lung disorders etc.
Blood pressure depends on the amount of blood pumped by the heart and the radius of the blood vessels. The delicate balance can get disturbed due to a number of factors.
Primary hypertension may be caused by genetic factors. There are 35 identified genetic loci related to blood pressure. Mutations in these can cause chronic HBP. Other factors like maternal smoking, deficiency of vitamin D, deficiency of calcium, insufficient breast milk consumption also increase the risk of HBP.
Secondary hypertension is caused by a variety of conditions like hypothyroidism, hypothyroidism, nephritis, asthma, sleep apnea, depression, pregnancy etc. Overconsumption of caffeine, alcohol, sodium and illegal drugs may also be responsible for high blood pressure.
Hypertension may not show any warning symptoms for several years while it continues to develop. A few tell-tale signs are frequent throbbing headaches, shortness of breath, nosebleeds, excessive sweating but these only occur when there is an extremely serious medical complication.
Treatment and Prevention:
Hypertension is a common condition, especially after the age of 40. Medication may help control severely high blood pressure to an extent but certain lifestyle changes go a long way in both preventing and treating the disorder. Some of them are:
1. Taking regular blood pressure readings after the age of 25. A normal blood pressure is not more than 120/80 mm Hg.
2. Obesity causes hypertension. A normal Body Mass Index of 30kg/sq. m. is to be maintained.
3. The daily diet should include at least 4 to 6 portions of fruits and vegetables.
4. Salt intake is to be limited.
5. Drinking and smoking are to be minimized.
6. Stress and burnout should be avoided.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a cardiologist and ask a free question.
I have been suffering chest pain and breathe for the last one month. I have asked here and I was suggested to take steam and benadryl syrup. I took that but couldn't get relief. I feel dry cough, chest pain and breathe problem. Sometime not able to talk properly. Please be advised what what should I do?
My chest keeps paining suddenly sometimes, if I drink some water or eat some food my chest keeps paining a lot, what should I do?
BP 90/140 is good for 35 year old age man or not? If, no. please give direction for reduce BP level.
When I have this prob I mostly feel sleepy but when I try to sleep do not get sleep, dreams come Do not feel like doing anything nethr want to eat, heartbeat is fast Too many thinking rule my mind a bit of headache is also there please help me.
For lowering LDL and total cholesterol which is more effective between atorvastatin and simvastatin?
I am 60 years, been smoking since college. I have chest congestion and a bit of breathing problem. No stamina and run out of breath even when taking excitedly. Chest x ray is clean. I understand there is a way of cleaning lungs of nicotine. Please help.
I have read that norman heart rate is 72. My heart rate comes between 60 to 70. Why is it slower? Is it a bad sign? What to continue and discontinue?
Doctor I have skipped my pulse many time a day.(for the last 6 month) I am not sugar patient. Bp medicine taken Arbitel-Mt-20. For the last one year. Suggest me what to do. Fear of missed pulse in my mind.
I have chest pain and I contacted to a doctor and he tested my ECG and echo test. My ECG test and echo test are normal, then which disease may I have?
I am 21 years old suffering from high blood pressure. It generally increases when I got excited. How to control dis.
I am suffering from dry cough for the last 2 weeks and I have chest pain whenever I cough hard. Can you suggest what should be done?
I have a sugar & high BP patient from, last 20 days my Blood pressure not control so what can I do for control the BP.
I feel palpitations when I sleep in the afternoon. When I sleep at night sometimes in the starting I feel palpitations but I get sound sleep. I am taking embeta xr 75 mg in a day. Doctor told me for sleep apnea test that is also mild to moderate but treatment is not required. Why is this happening in afternoon nobody is able to identify. What should I do.in holter report average beat is 72.
Often times I feel little bit pain in my chest. Is this a gas problem or something else? please revert back.
I have bp. Most of the time when I check its high&i take medicine too. I need to check it at home. please suggest a good bp checking device.
My mother is suffering from hypertension her BP always remain 160 /100 & she has also cholesterol problem her chl 260 & tg is 230 & creatine is 1.10 she is taken olkem trio & a aztor asp so should she go with the same medicine & also tell me what precautions she will take please suggest immediately.
Heart failure occurs when the heart fails to pump blood around the body and organs for oxygen and nutrients. As blood moves through the heart and body at a slower rate, pressure in the heart increases. The chambers of the heart stretch to hold more blood to be able to pump through the body. This helps the blood to move but eventually the heart muscle walls weaken, unable to pump blood efficiently. The kidneys, in response cause the body, to retain fluids. The leakage of fluid in the tissues and the organs congests the heart, leading to heart failure.
Any of the following conditions can be responsible for weakening the heart and causing heart failure.
1. Coronary artery disease: this is a disease of the arteries supplying blood and oxygen to the heart that causes decreased blood flow to heart muscle. If the arteries get blocked or narrowed (due to the buildup of fatty deposits), the heart fails to get oxygen and nutrients, which may eventually lead to heart failure.
2. Heart attack: if the artery becomes suddenly blocked or the plaques formed by fatty deposits rupture, it can lead to a heart attack. This happens due to the formation of a blood clot which may block blood flow to an area of heart muscle.
3. High blood pressure: high blood pressure puts an extra strain on the heart for it to work harder to circulate blood throughout the body. As a result, the heart muscle may become stiff or weak to effectively pump blood.
4. Heart muscle weakness: this condition can have many causes including diseases, infections, drug and alcohol abuse. Genetic factors may also contribute to the weakening of heart muscles.
5. Other diseases: chronic diseases like diabetes, HIV, hyperthyroidism or a buildup of iron or protein can also lead to heart failure. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Cardiologist.