Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Anesthesiologists in India. You will find Anesthesiologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Anesthesiologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Trevor Nair
Cancer Pain Management
Epidural And Spinal Anesthesia Techniques
Diagnostic Cardiac Procedures
Treatment of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimu
Submit a review for Dr. Trevor NairYour feedback matters!
What are the symptoms of neck spasm and what precautions should be taken if a person is suffering from this.
I am from but studying in aurangabad from last 2 weeks I am suffering from pain in my both legs and I do not why first it was in the right leg now it occurs in both. please help me as my exams are coming.
What will be better to sleep with or without pillow I have low neck pain on beck of neck and left side.
I’m Dr. Shekhar Srivastav. I’m senior consultant of orthopedic at Sant Permanand hospital and I have clinic at Jagriti Enclave name Prime Specialty Clinic.
Today I ll be speaking on knee arthritis and its management, the causes of knee arthritis and how do we manage it. Now if we see the knee is compose of these two bones, this is a thigh bone and this is a leg bone and this forms a knee joint. Now the knee joint’s end of the bone is covered with cartilage. Now cartilage are cushion like structures which helps in shock absorptions and helps in smooth motion of the knee joint. Now when this cartilage get destroyed you get arthritis. So there are many causes of arthritis like infection it can be any inflammatory cause, trauma. But the most common cause is aging process. As we age due to wear and tear the cartilage gets destroyed and start getting this arthritis. So the patient will first complain of pain and stiffness while walking. Then he will have difficulty in climbing up the stairs or having difficulty walking long distances as the problem increases you will have problem in getting up from sitting position, complain of pain, stiffness and swelling in the knee joint and in the severe stages there will be the deformity of the knee. You must have seen your neighbors or your parents having bow legs which is because of advance form of arthritis of the knee joint the osteoarthritis of the knee joint. Now there are many factors which contribute to arthritis of the knee joint. The most common being is aging process i.e. because of wear and tear but we also see arthritis more in females or there is also some sort of family tendency it means that if your parents were having arthritis then there is slightly higher chance that you may develop arthritis. How can we prevent it? So there are various things which you can do to prevent the symptoms of arthritis.as you know that it is an aging process so it can’t be stopped but the pain or disability arising from it can be prevented. First of all you have to maintain your weight so, obesity is one of the major causes of the arthritis so you should prevent obesity, you should keep your muscles strong by doing exercises, you should keep your joints flexible by exercising by stretching exercises and then there are also some medications. Physiotherapy, medications they all helps in preventing arthritis. But if you don’t get better with that means arthritis is severe then in that case sometimes you need injections. Now injections are given inside the knee joints and if given judiciously they will give very good relief.in very severe cases when the joint is totally destroyed, the joint is deformed, the limb is not align properly then in that case surgery is needed. There are different type of surgeries for arthritis which will be decided by your orthopedic surgeon. Now we have arthroscopy which is just a key ball incision surgery or we can have alignment surgery. One of the most common procedure we perform is knee replacement. Now people have misconception that in knee replacement whole of the knee is removed, it’s not done in that way. We just gave shape at the end of the bone and we put cap over it just like this so you just gave shape at the end of the bone and you applied a cap over it similarly for the leg bone also. You put the cap over it and in between there is a plastic type thing which allows smooth motion of the knee joint. So these are the various causes and treatments of arthritis. The treatment varies according to the grade of arthritis and that is decided by your orthopedic surgeon.
If you want to know more about the problem or if you have any problem or if you want to contact us, you can contact me at lybrate or you can contact me at Sant Permanand hospital or in my clinic Prime Specialty Clinic at Jagriti Enclave. Thank you!
Is there a prescription for worn out cartilage of knee? I am 79 years old and have a pain in my left knee. I have been taking Conchiolinum and Apis Mel which have reduced water retention. Please advise.
First of I told you my symptom upper back pain like a pressure for few second some time pain in left shoulder but not along with and finger chest near shoulder it's all occurred when I am on rest when I am running no pain feel and not feel short breath and no sweating when I use stair no pressure on my chest and running no pressure on chest I have done 2d echo completely right ecg 4 time it's right lipid profile .total cholesterol is 179 LDL is 130 hdl is 52 trigelcride is 79 and vitamins d is low just 13 and b12 also low 191 and no sugar and bp is around 130 some time it's goes high mje problem kya h and also I check my electrolyte which is sodium is 132 which is low and potassium is 3.95 and chlorine is 97 my age is 25 and height is 169.5 cm and weight is 60 kg and suffering from insomnia now a days.
My mom is suffering from joint pain she is having more problems in her wrists these days. Please help.
Pain can be a debilitating condition if it is not managed in a timely manner and on a constant basis. One can experience pain in various parts of the body due to a variety of reasons. While the main reason includes conditions like arthritis, osteoporosis and another nerve, joint or muscle problems, there are many other kinds of pain that may occur due to accidents and sports injuries. Disc herniation and conditions like diabetes may also give rise to pinched nerves which can cause pain.
It is not possible to constantly pop pills and get injections for the pain that lasts for a prolonged time. Yet, this does not necessarily mean that you will have to live with the pain. There are a number of ways in which you can manage pain without having to take medicines at the drop of a hat. Here are a few measures that you can take in order to treat pain.
- Weight Loss: In case you are on the overweight side, it would be a good idea to lose those extra pounds and kilos. Excess weight usually puts pressure on the affected area and creates even more pain. Therefore, if you are more fit, there is less chance of suffering from extreme pain.
- Exercise: While rest is a good thing, being on your feet and moving at regular intervals is also required in order to deal with the pain. If you are constantly lying in bed in one position, then there will be pressure on the joints and the nerves, which can create even more pain. Therefore, you should keep changing your positions and take mild to moderate exercises like walking and swimming, in keeping with approval and recommendation from the doctor.
- Rest: Taking rest is just as important as exercise. When you are going through pain, it would be a good idea to give rest to the affected area so that there is less pressure on the same. You should rest in the proper position so that one does not twist or elevate the area in a wrong way.
- Physiotherapy: This is another method that most doctors recommend. Getting the right kind of physiotherapy is important as it can help in creating core strength for the surrounding muscles and joints of the affected area. This will keep the pain, inflammation and stiffness away.
- Hot and Cold Remedies: Heat therapy and ice therapy are two recommended ways of treating pain. If the injury is new and the pain acute, then one may resort to the use of ice packs to gently bring down the inflammation. Hot showers and heat packs can also bring relief to the area so that the pain is soothed away. One should be careful while using either method so that the temperature does not cause burns and rashes.
- Maintain Good Posture: Most people have poor posture when going about their daily activities, putting unnecessary strain on their backs. Little things add up. Keeping the right amount of curvature takes pressure off the nerves and will reduce pain. Get into the habit of sitting correctly. It may not feel comfortable initially because your muscles have not been conditioned to support you in the correct position.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!