Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gastroenterologists in India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. T.S.ChandrasekharYour feedback matters!
Hello sir this is kiran am suffering from GERD past 4 years I have done with endoscopy Dr. have mentioned me that I have Gerd how can survive from this disease permanently is there any solution?
I eat proper diet but I cannot gain weight. I have also digestion problems. What I can do to gain weight.
A fairly common disorder, which affects the intestines, irritable bowel syndrome affects many adults across the world. If you are suffering from this disorder then you would have problems with bowel movements, mostly the irregularity of it. Sometimes you may suffer from constipation, other times you may suffer from diarrhea and the type of stool will also vary often between thin and hard or soft and liquid.
Common symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
Some of the common symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome or IBS are as follows:
1. Constipation or diarrhea, the latter of which can become quite severe during certain episodes
2. Gas or bloating which can make you uncomfortable
3. Cramping around the stomach area especially the lower belly which tends to become worse after having food and better after bowel movements
4. Quality of stools may vary quite a lot from time to time such as very hard to lose
5. Stomach may start sticking out and become misshapen
6. May also come with sexual as well as urinary problems
Causes of Irritable bowel syndrome
The causes for irritable bowel syndrome vary from person to person. This disorder usually has triggers and yours may be different from someone else suffering from the same problems. However some general triggers and causes could be:
1. Hormonal problems - This is especially the case with women who tends to suffer From IBS more than men. Hormonal changes in the body such as before and after pregnancy and menopause or periods are known to be common.
2. Dietary causes-This is one of the major external triggers that have been reported by people. A variety of foods are known to have triggered or cause IBS. Some of the foods that have been implicated are beans, chocolate, cauliflower, cabbage or milk among many others.
3. Underlying illnesses - Sometimes IBS itself may be a symptom of a larger underlying problem such as gastrointestinal disorders, such as bacterial overgrowth and gastroenteritis.
4. Mental health and Stress issues - People going through psychological stress such as before exams or reviews have known to have IBS as stress becomes a trigger in their case. If you have mental health issues in the long run, these are also known to trigger or cause IBS.
Some of the treatment options for IBS are:
II. Mental health counseling
IV. Medications for bowel spasms
V. Medications for diarrhea or constipation
VI. Specialized medications for IBS for other underlying conditions. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.
Today I saw some blood in my stools. I was suffering from stomach infection last month. What is the reason for the blood.
My wife is getting severe abdominal pain after c-section since last 2 days (c-section and delivered baby girl 5 days back ).what is cause ?how long pain will be. How it will be treated?
Hi Dr. mujhe halki khansi sans lene me paroblme hai dil bahut dhadak raha h fefron me arkas sa lahta hai jaise kahin gas ruk jati h ush tarah se lagta hai.
I am 50 years old I am taking thyrox 25 tablet from 3 month my wt 1s 75 kg my liver is also fatty how can I reduce my weight.
Bleeding from anus when I go to toilet. I'm afraid if it is external hemorrhoids as I feel lumps and bulging near anus. Please suggest me what should I do?
I have hiper acidity, also I have back pain from last 6 months, my prolactin label is high, please advise what to do ?
Your stomach is lined with a mucosal membrane known as the mucosa and due to a variety of factors, it may become inflamed. This inflammation may cause a lot of problems and complications which are grouped under gastritis.
Symptoms of gastritis
- Upper abdominal pain,
- Reduction of appetite
- Blood in the stool amongst the others
Gastritis can be quite debilitating and limiting for the people affected by it.
The Ayurveda approach
Ayurveda is a holistic form of medicine which takes into account many factors rather than just the physical disposition and symptoms that strives to cure the patients of the illness in a well-rounded manner. To this effect, Ayurveda helps you treat this problem with multiple angles of attack such as herbal medications and special cleansing therapies among many others. Let’s take a look at some of the methods usually employed in various combinations among the patients.
- Changes in diet: Consuming any diet which has a lot of spicy and rich foods over prolonged periods may result in gastritis and other problems. If you already have gastritis, then certain other types of food also need to be excluded such as tea, coffee, sour foods, chilies and buffalo milk among others. These food groups are excluded as they may increase the acidity of the stomach which may cause an escalation of the problems. Some of the foods that may help with gastritis are grapes, pumpkins, bitter gourd, pomegranate, melons and cucumber, etc.
- Natural remedies: Some natural remedies that can be very effective in dealing with the symptoms of gastritis are mentioned below
- Ajwain and rock salt have been an age old remedy in treating multiple gastrointestinal disorders and can be effective in this case as well.
- Lemon juice is also very effective in treating symptoms or gastritis and also reducing inflammation.
- Take amla, ginger, and licorice either in a raw form or as a dried option or mixed with other things such as milk or honey. These help in regulating and reducing the acidity within the stomach.
- Ayurvedic medications: There are many specialized Ayurvedic medications which can be used to treat gastritis such as:
- Amalaki choorna
- Avipattikara choorna
- Sootashekhara rasa
- Sukumara Ghrita
- Dhatri Lauha
However, you should consult a specialist Ayurveda doctor as they can prescribe the correct medications for you after studying your specific symptoms.