Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Radiologists in India. You will find Radiologists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Radiologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Suseela
Diagnostic X- Ray
Bone Densitometry Procedure
Uterine Artery Embolization
Interventional Diagnostic Procedures
Angiography Radial Approach
Submit a review for Dr. SuseelaYour feedback matters!
Hello sir. I have lower back pain since 2 months back. I have done mri there is disk problem. What is permanent solution is surgery kindly help me.
Medical science constantly challenges the boundaries by finding not only the cures to the most dangerous diseases, but finds a way to prevent them even before they occur. With years of research, practice and data available for analysis, scientists are using advanced technology in combination with years of research to create a predicting mechanism for often fatal diseases like cancer.
Breast cancer screening has always been done with mammography. The fact is that this method is only 75% accurate, laden with false positives and misses a whole set of women totally- and that too when cancer has already developed. Part of the problem comes from the dense breast tissue which one in three women have. This tissue masks the lumps, which makes it difficult for mammograms to accurately screen cancer.
Some breakthrough scientific methods are changing this by drawing on years of research to predict this deadly disease, years before it can manifest itself.
A genetic test to predict cancer 10-11 years ahead of time. This test was performed to see how environmental factors could influence cancer, along with habits like smoking, abusing alcohol or hormones, genetic changes that occur and are put a large percentage of the women at a high risk of developing this disease.
A simple blood test is used for the genetic analysis of hereditary cancer. Researchers found a biological marker, methylation of the ATM gene, which has a very high ability to predict the risk of developing cancer, several years before diagnosis. 'Methylation' concluded that when one biological indicator is exposed to carcinogenic substances, or other abusive substances like tobacco and alcohol, it may trigger the development of cancer. On the flip side, this test will take time to reach the commercial market and even then cannot give an exact timeline as to when someone may develop the disease.
A simple blood test to predict breast cancer 5 years before it develops. This is the kind of medical miracle the world is looking for. Last year in April, researches in Denmark identified a simple blood test that can predict breast cancer five years before it actually develops with an accuracy of a whopping 80%.
It works by "measuring all of the compounds in the blood to build a 'metabolic profile' of an individual, in order to detect changes in the way chemicals are processed, during a pre-cancerous stage," says Laura Donnelly, health editor at The Telegraph, which covered this development. Danish researchers observed 57,000 participants over 20 years, gathering blood samples along the way, specifically comparing a set of 800 women who remained healthy or developed breast cancer within 7 years of their first blood sample. The researchers found they were able to predict, with 80 percent accuracy, which patients would be affected by the disease, just by looking at the metabolic profiles they built from the participants' blood samples. The results have been published in Metabolomics. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
Mai Dr. Arun Kumar Goel, Max Super Speciality Hospital, Vaishali, Ghaziabad mein Cancer Surgery department ka head hoon, aur breast oncology unit ka director bhi hoon.
Mere main area of interest me breast cancer ka management ek pramukh area hai, breast cancer mahilaon ka sabse common cancer hai jo major cities hai metropolitan Delhi- NCR, Bombay aur aisi cities mein. Aur iska jo incidence hai woh badhta ja raha hai jiske kai karan hai, isme breast cancer ke ilaj mein pichle 30-40 saalon mein bahut tarakki hui hai aur aaj ke din hum dekhte hain ki breast cancer ke marijoo ka survival rate hai woh 90% se upar hai, lekin itna achha survival achieve karne ke liye hame jo hai uski diagnosis bahut jaldi karni padti hai. Toh yeh ek bahut sabse important baat hai, jo sabse common symptom hai breast cancer ka woh hai breast mein ek lump ya ganth ka hona. Ab breast ki ganthe kuch cancerous hoti hai kuch non-cancerous hoti hai, lekin jab bhi koi ganth ho toh yeh possibility zaroor sochna chahiye ki kahi cancer to nahi hai aur turant ek cancer specialist ya breast surgeon se opinion lena chahiye. Cancer ki diagnosis banane ke liye usme kuch janche hoti hai jisme mammography ya ultrasound hota hai, fine needle aspiration cytology ya biopsy hoti hai aur kabhi kabhi breast ka MRI bhi kiya jata hai. Toh agar cancer confirm hota hai toh phir uske baad kuch staging test karte hain yeh dekhne ke liye ki bimari sharir mein kahin faili toh nahi hai, jyadatar cases me bimari localised hoti hai aur uska ilaj jo hai sabse pehle operation ya surgery ke dwara kiya jata hai jo meri main feild hai. Jyadatar logo ko breast cancer surgery mein jo pareshani hoti hai ki pehle ilaj hota tha usme purye breast ko remove kiya jata tha jise hum log mastectomy kehte thye, lekin agar mareez early stage mein aata hai ganth bahut badi nahi hai to pura breast nikalna zaroori nahi hai, hum log breast conservation surgery ke dwara breast ko bchaa sakte hain. Isme aage aur kafi advances huye hai aur aaj kal hum log jo approach follow karte hain jis bolte hain oncoplastic breast conservation surgery, jisme jo cosmetic results pehle se bhi bheter hai. Agar kuch marijoo mein pura breast nikalna zaroori bhi hota hai toh reconstruction bhi kiya ja sakta hai. Aur ek nai approach jo surgery mein aaj kal hum log use kar rahe hai jise kehte hain Sentinel lymph Node Biopsy, yeh armpit ki jo ganthe hoti hain nodes unke management ke liye ek latest approach hai aur iss approach ka istemal karne se jo hathon mein sujan aane ka risk hai Lymphedema wo kafi kam ho jati hai. Toh surgery basically jo ho jati hai uske baad kuch marijoo mein additional treatment ki zaroorat ho sakti hai jaise chemotherapy hai, radiotherapy hai, ya kuch dawaiya hai jo hormonal intervention karti hain. Toh surgery ke baad kafi marijoo mein jo pehela ilaj hoga woh chemotherapy hota hai, jo 4 se 8 cycle tak diya ja sakta hai. Radiotherapy jin marijoo mein hoti hai woh bhi again aaj kal karib 3 hafte mein puri ho jati hai jo ki pehle usme 6 se 7 hafte lagte thye, aur nahi radiation technology ke through jo side effects hai radiation ke wo kafi kam ho gaye hain. Isi prakar hormonal therapy jo hai woh yeh radiation or chemo khatam hone ke baad di jati hai jis mein sirf ek tablet hoti hai jo marijoo ko ghar pe regular istemal karna padta hai aur wo 5 se 10 saal tak use ki ja sakti hai. Ek aur important cheez yeh hai ki jo bhi cancer ke marij hote hain unko ek regular follow up pe chalna padta hai, toh ilaj pura hone ke baad har 3 mahine baad unhe apne surgeon ke pass follow up ke liye jana chahiye, jisme examination jo hai woh ek bahut important part hai. Phir uske baad kuch testing ho sakti hai jaise chhati ka x-ray hai, ultrasound hai, mammography hai, aur agar koi aur takleef hoti hai tu Bol Scan, MRI, CT ya Pet Scan bhi kiya ja sakta hai. Iske alawa breast cancer ke marijoo mein jo ek aur cheez hoti hai hum log ek jo usko promote karte hain woh hai support group ka concept, jisme breast cancer ke survival aapas mein milte hain, ek doosre se cheeze discuss karte hain aur support bhi provide kar sakte hain aur isse unki jo future life hai wo kafi better rehti hai. Toh mein yahi kahunga ke cancer se aapko waise bhi nahi darna chahiye aur breast cancer ke jo aaj ke din success rate hai wo bahut hi acchi hai toh bina darre janch karaye aur apna ilaj pura kare.
Dhanyavad, Thank you.
Even though brain aneurysms are becoming common these days, not all of them are required to be treated. In some cases, the physician may choose to observe an aneurysm closely before adopting any treatment measure. But in patients in whom an aneurysm has progressed to a severe level, there are two treatment options:
- Open surgical clipping
- Endovascular therapy or coiling
Open surgical clipping for brain aneurysms:
This procedure is typically performed by a neurosurgeon who makes an incision in the head. An opening in the bone is made, and then a clip is positioned by dissecting through the spaces of the brain. This aids in preventing the flow of blood into an aneurysm. In this procedure, the patient is required to stay in the hospital for two to three nights after which he or she is discharged.
Considerable modifications have been made in the open surgery techniques in the recent years. Neurosurgeons are now able to perform eye brow incisions or mini craniotomies for clipping an aneurysm. In these procedures, a small incision is cut out in the skin above the eyebrow for making a window. A tiny clip is placed across the mouth of an aneurysm to help it heal. But it is worthy of mention here that these are all invasive procedures and take relatively longer time to recover compared to the coiling process.
- This treatment is also performed by a neurosurgeon, and it has been proved that this process is exceptionally suitable for patients with a ruptured aneurysm. Endovascular coiling is often done in coalesce with an angiogram, where a catheter is inserted into the vessel over the hip, which is then gradually carried to the vessels of the brain and finally to an aneurysm.
- Then the coils are packed to the point where it rises from the blood vessel, which prevents the blood from flowing intothe blood vessel. Most patients undergoing this minimally invasive procedure can go home the day following the surgery. The success rate of this process is very high, and over 125,000 patients have been treated all across the globe with the help of detachable platinum coils.
- Over the last few years, a substantial amount of advancements have taken place in the endovascular techniques. Recent developments show the use of flow diverting embolization devices, which are similar to a stent and are placed in the primary vessel, adjacent to an aneurysm. It diverts the flow away from an aneurysm and therefore, allows the neurosurgeons to treat the brain aneurysms, which were previously considered inaccessible and untreatable.
Both the procedures are quite efficient in treating a brain aneurysm. The most suitable option is dependent on a host of factors such as size, shape, location and overall health condition of the patient. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Neurosurgeon.
Brain mapping is a technique where the biological quantities of a human brain are represented as spatial quantities resulting in maps. As with many other medical technologies, brain mapping is fast-evolving as well. Among several uses, brain mapping is chiefly used while performing surgery on the brain.
When surgery is to be performed on the brain such as surgery for epilepsy, the surgeon would want to comprehend how the brain areas are affected by seizures. The surgical intervention is meant for removing as much as seizure focus as possible while preserving crucial functions like understanding, speech, vision, movement, and sensation.
Why is brain mapping performed?
Brain mapping is a process which helps in identification of functions of various parts of the brain. Mapping the brain by stimulating different areas of the brain areas can aid in creating a map for a particular person. The map allows the doctor in understanding what parts of the brain are responsible for performing critical functions including sensation, movement, speech and other functions.
Which functions of the brain can be mapped electrically?
Typical areas of the brain which have motor, language, visual and sensory functions are needed to be mapped. When current is applied to a single area at a time, the doctor understands which part of the brain is responsible for which function.
When the patient is not able to speak due to the current, then the area is likely to be crucial for language function. If the limbs, face or trunk of the patient stop moving as the current passes, the area that is tested is responsible for movement. On the other hand, if the individual experiences tingling, numbing, and other sensations when the current is applied, it means that a sensory region is discovered.
How is electrical brain mapping performed?
Electrical brain mapping for guiding brain surgery for epilepsy can be performed in two distinct processes: directly during the surgery or in a two-stage procedure.
In the first stage of the process, the surgeon creates an opening in the skull which helps in exposing the surface of the brain. Small electrical contacts or electrodes are placed on the brain surface even though no brain tissue is removed. As soon as the electrodes are in the right position, the scalp is closed. The electrodes not only record the seizure of the patient electrically but also allow mapping of various areas of the brain. The last stage is surgery where abnormal brain tissues are removed.
Brain mapping process during surgery:
Electrical brain mapping may also be performed during the surgery which exposes part of the brain. This is termed as intraoperative brain mapping since it occurs while performing the main operation. The process of mapping may last for an hour to several hours at a stretch.
Brain mapping is also used to diagnose neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. In these cases, the brain map shows extreme shrinkage of the brain due to tissue loss. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Neurosurgeon.
Ayurveda is a form of medicine that has been practiced for thousands of years and has many effective cure for some of the most complex diseases. Cancer, in this day and age, is one such complex disease and its incidence is increasing rapidly. It is always recommended to consult a Ayurveda specialist for severe cancer. Some of the common ingredients for treatment of uterine cancer through Ayurveda are mentioned here.
- Turmeric: Already a staple spice in many Indian dishes, turmeric as a herb in raw form and as a spice in powdered form, is touted the new wonder herb all across the world. It has been used as a traditional healing herb in India since ages. It has also been seen to be a very effective anti-inflammatory agent and thus it is very effective in stopping the growth of cancer cells.
- Green tea from the Camellia Sinensis plant: Green tea has been known to be effective in treating multiple types of cancer, aid in weight loss and also facilitate detoxification. Regular consumption of green tea from the Camellia Sinensis plant is known to fight the growth of cancer cells within the body; thus is a very effective in treating uterine cancer as well.
- Ashwagandha: This herb is not only used in Ayurveda, but has also been adopted by homeopathy as conventional medicine to make extracts. Ashwagandha is an adaptogen, which means it can adapt to the requirements of the body and then make the changes to provide support to the necessary areas. It is also very good at preventing the growth of cancer cells.
- Garlic: This spice is known to be good for multiple forms of cancer as it contains allicin, which is being hailed as one of the best fighters of inflammatory diseases. It also contains other types of phytochemicals and thus helps in detoxifying the body. It is very effective in fighting cancer cells and can arrest the growth of cancer within the body.
- Ginger: Ginger is extremely effective in the treatment of many ailments, if consumed regularly in controlled amounts. It has been known to be very effective in the treatment of colon cancer. Due to its properties, it is also known to be effective in the prevention of uterine and many other forms of cancer.
Ayurveda, an enigmatic yet enthralling science offers numerous treatment methods for uterine cancer. Here are a few:
- Matra Basti: Matra Basti is a special treatment in traditional ayurveda for chronic constipation, low back pain, rheumatoid arthritis, obesity, and various neurological disorders like multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, dystrophy and atrophy of nerves and muscle. In this treatment, certain herbal oils and herbal extracts are applied through the rectum on a daily basis. Matra Vasti has a lubricating, balancing, nourishing, strengthening and pacifying effect. It also works as rejuvenator, immune-modulator and nutrient and subdues elevated vata dosha. The treatment lasts for a period of 3 to 7 days.
- Pichu Dharanam for Soothing at Advance Stages of Uterine Cancer: It is a special treatment modality in Ayurveda where sterile medicated cotton swab is kept inside the vagina for a specific period of time. This comes under local treatment modalities specific to gynaecological diseases in females and is also done in ante natal care. Pichu means “cotton ball”. Yoni pichu is the application of a sterile cotton swab soaked in medicated oil or ghee in the vagina.
- Abhyanham: Abhyanga is a form of Ayurvedic medicine that involves massage of the body with large amounts of warm oil. It’s a complete body massage and really effective. The Abhyangam massage therapy is very beneficial and prevents degeneration and ceases the aging process. This therapy needs more positions to massage and comparing to other massage therapy, Abhyangam is very special. It usually involves oils prepared with specialized Ayurvedic herbs and essential oils for lymph drainage, detox, and relaxation. It has seven positions and it treats the whole body. It assures new healthy physical changes.
- Nasyam: Nasyam or errhine therapy is an Ayurvedic treatment excellent remedy for chronic sinusuitis, headache, throat diseases, epilepsy, catarrh, migraine, voice constraint, eye diseases and cervical spondylitis. In Ayurveda, the application of medical oils or powders through the nostrils is called Nasya. It is said in classical texts that the nostrils are the doorway to the brain. Nasya is an important method of treatment for illnesses of the cranial region. Nasya treatment - the forehead and neck regions of the patient are gently massaged with a suitable oil to induce sweating. Thereafter the patient is made to lie down on his back with his head bent slightly back. Warm oil is then dripped into both nostrils which the patient draws in.