Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. SubbiahYour feedback matters!
Cervix is the tissue that connects the vagina and the uterus and is an important part of female reproductive system. Cervical cancer like any other form of cancer refers to an abnormal growth of cells on the cervix, one that if undetected at the initial stages, can involve tremendous complications which are often fatal. It is one of the most common ailments that women suffer from, making it only more important to be taken seriously and treated immediately.
Some of the visible symptoms of this ailment are:
- Abnormal bleeding from the vagina: Though menstruation is a natural occurrence in a woman's life, often times you can suffer from abnormal bleeding from the vagina, which may precede, succeed or occur between periods. Such abnormal bleeding is symptomatic of cervical cancer and you must visit a doctor immediately.
- Pain in the abdomen: In case you are suffering from cervical cancer, clear signals will be given by your body indicating that. One such signal is a nagging pain in the abdomen or in the pelvis. Though it may appear harmless, you must not treat it lightly and consult a doctor as soon as possible.
- Excruciating pain during periods: Experiencing pain during periods is a matter of such compliance that it seldom raises any concern. However, in certain cases the pain may be more than what you generally experience. In such a situation, it must not be dismissed entirely rather must be consulted with a doctor.
The most common test is used to diagnose cervical cancer is known as a pap test. In this particular examination, a sample of cells from your cervix will be taken by the doctor for examination. If the inference is reliant on the normal or the abnormal growth of these cells, the latter confirming the onset of the ailment.
In spite of being an extremely lethal ailment, over the years various treatments have evolved that successfully deal with this problem. Some of them are:
- Surgery: One of the effective and oft availed of treatment to treat cervical cancer is a surgery. Depending on the stage on which the disease is detected, doctors may suggest for a hysterectomy or removing the pelvic lymph nodes.
- Chemotherapy: This has emerged as the most sought after way of treating any form of cancer. The abnormal growth of cells that triggers cancer in the first place is deterred in this method by administering drugs to kill destroy them.
How the cancer can be detected? How we are able to know about it. What primary precautions can be taken by us?
I smoke 5 cigarette a day. I know that it is harmful. I heard that every smoker gets lungs cancer is that true or it causes to only chain smoker?
In my abdominal ultrasound my prostate is OK but I have lack morning erection. I feel pain in urethra during semen come. Is that any prostate problem? I am taking antibiotics for 1 month but not so much affect.
My wife feels pain in her right side breast in shoulder side. Please suggest & help as she is very worried.
She is being diagnosed with Carcinoma in Sigmoid colon 1st stage please suggest us with further procedure.
• Men who consume high saturated animal fat diet are two times more likely to experience disease progression after prostate cancer surgery than men with lower saturated fat intake.
• There is also shorter "disease–free" survival time among obese men who eat high saturated fat diet compared with non–obese men consuming diets low in saturated fat.
• Men with a high saturated fat intake had the shortest survival time free of prostate cancer (19 months)
• Non–obese men with low fat intake survived the longest time free of the disease (46 months).
• Non–obese men with high intake and obese men with low intake had "disease–free" survival of 29 and 42 months, respectively.
Take home messages
• High saturated fat diet has been linked to cancer of the prostate
• Reducing saturated fat in the diet after prostate cancer surgery can help reduce the cancer progression.
• Cancer prostate has the same risk factors as that of heart blockages and both are linked to high saturated fat intake.
• With an increase in number of heart patients, a corresponding increase in prostate cancer patients is also seen in the society.