Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sowmya Ragavan
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Sowmya RagavanYour feedback matters!
What is the cost of lupus anticoagulant test in bangalore as doctor has said me to do this test I am pregnant what is the use of it?
I am 33 years old and I have a problem of scanty periods, hair fall, mood swings and low libido.Please advise.
The countdown has already begun and 2 days are left for the arrival of 2016. The upcoming new year party is an occasion to dance, eat and rejoice with our friends and family. Everyone aspires to look gorgeous, look stunning and look beautiful. All that one need’s to do this party season is getting back in shape.
We need to make some healthy choices so that there is a steady weight loss. Take a look at some of the exciting tips for losing weight this party season.
Follow these tips and lose weight instantly this party season and to look stunning!
1. The Green Tea Effect - The best beverage
Consuming green tea more than twice a day shall keep the metabolism process active, this shall help in losing weight. The more the fat burning takes place, the lesser one needs to work on losing.
2. The Honey, Lemon and Luke warm water everyday
This amazing mixture should be consumed right in the morning before the breakfast on an empty stomach. Following this practice, it will not only help in reducing weight and make you look slim but also give you a glowing skin.
3. Yoghurt - A must-have dairy product
Yoghurt is a highly effective food which has to be included in the regular diet plan to make sure there is no fat accumulation around the tummy.
4. Exercise regularly for a healthy body
Regular exercise makes us active, fit and healthy. It also helps in burning calories. One must perform light exercises everyday for about half and hour to one hour.
5. A big No-No to Fatty foods
Avoid ghee, oil, butter, cheese, maida, potatoes, rice and sweetened products. We all may love non-vegetarian delicacies, but try to run away from spicy, oily and non-vegetarian food.
It is very difficult to resist ourselves and stick to a diet plan. But one can always give a try. After all, everybody appreciates a person with a sound mind and a healthy body. Give it a try, it will definitely do wonders.
Hello. Muje periods ka problem hai 29 days hogaya but still muje period nahi hua 3 weeks pehele pregnancy bhi check kiya negative hi aya. Kyu ayesa ho raha hai?
I had unprotected sex on 3rd day of period then I took only one dose of ipill within 5 hrs but the withdrawal bleeding didn’t occur I took an ipill 6 days ago what should I do now?
This month I visited Tirupati vth family for I used tablets to stop my period. My period is on 21st. I used 10 tablets nd stop. It's already 2 day I stop still I don't get my period. Am I pregnant. If am pregnant can I take pregnancy test now. Or I have to wait.
Hi doctor my name is pallavi. I am 32 years od. have one girl child 9 years old. E planning for one more child. E trying to conceive at 3 months. have very regular periods 29 days. Last month my period came 13. Bt this month my period come before 9 days .t first I have mild cramping in my abdominal area then brownish colour spotting .hen stop after few hrs it fully cramping and bleeding start flow was normal bt bleeding. It stop 5 days. My period length is 4 days bt again it start after one day little little and still have. Please doctor tell why thia type of happen and if it os period then this month when I ovulate?
Diabetes is a health condition that occurs due to the lack of insulin and when the body fails to regulate the blood sugar levels. It has been observed that it is a medical complication for many women during their pregnancy. It is best to follow some course of action in order to have a healthy pregnancy and avoid any complications. Diabetes is an autoimmune disease and it can be classed in to 2 categories or types. The type 1 diabetes requires use of insulin on daily basis and its symptoms include weight loss, blurred vision and increased urination. The symptoms of type 2 diabetes include kidney or bladder infection and it is the most common form of diabetes.
Do the babies also develop diabetes?
It is not necessary that babies who are born to diabetic mothers are also diabetic, but if diabetes is not controlled during pregnancy, there are chances that the baby will produce a large quantity of insulin while they are still in the womb. It is quite possible that the sugar levels would be low immediately after birth and a close watch of the newborn is a must till the body adjusts to the amount of insulin it makes.
It has been observed that large babies develop diabetes later in life, mostly type 2 diabetes, and are likely to become obese. It is very important that children are encouraged to develop regular exercise habits and healthy eating habits to reduce the chances of obesity.
Effect of Diabetes on Pregnant Women
There are chances that if a pregnant woman has diabetes, there are fluctuations in her blood sugar levels, this is because of the hormones that are associated with the pregnancy. It is very important that sugar levels are controlled at the time of conception as there is a greater risk of miscarriage or certain birth defects occuring. The pregnant woman is also at a higher risk of blood pressure which can result in premature birth and complications to the mother. The cause for concern for expectant mothers with diabetes is that the baby grows too large, especially if the diabetes is uncontrolled.
Normal Blood Sugar For Pregnant Women
The healthy blood sugar levels in a pregnant woman for fasting sugar should be less than 95mg/dL and the blood sugar level after one hour of eating should be 140mg/dL. The blood sugar level after 2 hours of eating should be 120mg/dL.
Gestational diabetes that begins during pregnancy has become very common and can lead to defects in the infant. If the blood sugar level is high, then it can lead to complications during labor due to excessive growth of the fetus. It is therefore best to maintain blood sugar levels to avoid risks for the child such as respiratory distress, low glucose levels and jaundice. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
No matter what your desired weight goal may be, you should never starve yourself to lose weight. This slows down your metabolism and is counterproductive. Eating a balanced meal along with exercise is the best diet plan. However, there are some foods that should be avoided.
- Aerated drinks: Aerated drinks like sodas and soft drinks are equivalent to junk food. They do not offer any nutritional value and can lead to weight gain instead. Aerated drinks have a high sugar content that influences the blood sugar levels. Aerated drinks also often leave you feeling thirstier instead of hydrated.
- Processed foods: Processed foods should be avoided whether you are on a diet or not. They contain preservative and harmful chemicals that can harm the body. They also have a high sugar content and unhealthy fat content. Processed foods include chips, pasta, pizza, burgers, noodles and cookies that can easily be made at home using fresh, healthier ingredients.
- Added sugars: Simply eliminating sugar from your diet in the form of jams, sweets, breads and cakes can have a big impact on your weight. Added sugars do not include food that is rich in natural sugars like fruits. Manmade sugar has no nutrient value and is very high in calories. Brown sugar or honey is a much healthier alternative to processed sugar and can be used to replace it.
- Deep fried food: The healthiest of ingredients if cooked in an unhealthy manner can rid it of nutrients and pack on calories instead. Deep frying should be completely avoided if you are trying to lose weight. Deep frying makes food difficult to digest and leads to fat absorption. Instead, try grilling or steaming your food or eat it raw if possible.
- White flour: White flour can lead to high blood pressure, cholesterol and weight gain. Instead replace white flour with whole wheat flour or oats to make it healthier without interfering too much with the taste.
- Desserts: Most desserts fall into the category of food to be avoided as they are heavy on sugar content and made with white flour. Many desserts also use a lot of creams that can lead to cholesterol problems.
However, not all desserts fall into this category. Ice lollies are a viable alternative to ice creams while muffins and frosting free cupcakes made with whole wheat flour can be used to replace pastries and cakes. Chopped fresh fruits are the healthiest way to end a meal on a sweet note. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.