Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. S SivakumarYour feedback matters!
Are you suffering from cancer? Your diet plays an important part when you are a undergoing cancer treatment. There are several types of food items, which are actually beneficial for healing cancer. By including these items in your regular diet, there are chances of better healing. Here are 10 food items that help in healing cancer:
- Green leafy vegetables: You must consume green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, collard greens, kale, watercress and arugula salad as they contain vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants. Also they are low in calories, sodium, fat and toxins and are a storehouse of antibacterial plus antiviral components, which inactivate carcinogens and help in killing program cancer cells. The formation of tumor is prevented. The chemicals turn into biological compounds and break down cancer cells.
- Cruciferous vegetables: These vegetables are capable cancer killers and are rich in vitamin C. All vegetables belonging to the brassica family of cruciferous vegetables contain isothiocyanates, which help in the prevention of cancer. Vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower also contain sulforaphanes and indoles, which protect the DNA structure.
- Berries: Berries contain antioxidants and proanthocyanidin antioxidants. These are capable of reducing free-radical damage. You should add blueberries, strawberries, goji berries and cherries to your diet.
- Fresh herbs and spices: Turmeric contains curcumin, which helps in reducing the tumor size and fighting breast and colon cancer. Its properties help in fighting inflammation. Other herbs such as ginger, garlic, oregano, basil and parsley help in boosting the body’s immunity.
- Organic meats: Organic meats such as chicken or beef liver are considered effective for cancer patients. This is because they are dense in nutrient content and contain vitamin B12 in high quantity. Consuming organic meat helps in the cleansing of your liver and removing toxins from the digestive tract.
- Cultured dairy products: Cultured dairy products contain probiotics or good bacteria. These help in promoting a natural bacterial balance in the intestinal microflora and increasing immunity. These food products prevent tumor growth and help with cell regeneration. You should have raw milk products like yoghurt, cheese and kefir.
- Nuts and seeds: Chia seeds and flax seeds provide omega-3 fatty acids and important minerals. Hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are also essential for a cancer patient.
- Healthy unrefined oils: Oils such as coconut, flax, extra-virgin olive oil and cod-liver oil nourish the gut and your immune functions are boosted.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are of different types and offer different benefits. In general, all mushrooms increase a body’s immunity to fight with cancer. You should add reishi, maitake and cordyceps mushrooms to your diet.
For consuming an ideal diet, which comprises cancer preventing and cancer-fighting foods, you should consult a dietitian.
The above food help in prevention and recovery from cancer. In any case, rest is equally important and also fluids. Diet to regular chemo session, one might feel anorexic with persistent nausea, so having them in small portions in advisable. One can opt for organic versions of these, to ensure good quality. Try avid consuming them absolutely raw, stir fry, boiled are some recommendable methods. Cancer can be patience testing disease to cope up with it best is to have a positive attitude for better recovery. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
My father(approx-90 yrs) had prostate problem in 2004 and had been operated in the same year but now (from Oct-2014) blood coming out time to time through urinal with burning sensation and clotted blood without blockage of urine.What will be the treatment please advise me ?
Hello Dr. My ultrasound report says- Liver- is mildly enlarged however of normal echoes GB, SPLEEN,PANCREAS, BOTH KIDNEY, urinary BLADDER AND PROSTATE are NORMAL. IMPRESSION- 1-mild nonspecific hepatomegaly. 2-Mild gaseous distended small bowel loops seen in mid to lower ABDOMEN. 3-Wall thickness and peristalsis of small and large bowel loops are normal. 4-Grossly normal scan of kub region and rest of abdominal organs. Plzz sugg. Me.
Hello sir, I want to know the symptoms of blood cancer and how it can be cured, my friend is suffering it.
Can coffee causes cancer. I often drink coffee during my exams more and some of friends said that drinking it more can cause cancer. Is it true?
I am 22 years old male and I want to ask you what is blood cancer and how it can be treated and how much money is required for treatment. In my city lots of people's dying due to blood cancer. Is there any medicine available for blood cancer?
What the tests will be done to determine if I have cancer? What are the risks associate with these tests?
My mother has tumor in her breast and doctor says operation. But she is not ready for that is their any other way?
Hello sir, now a days we all fear about cancer. It's really unpleasant term. If chest pain or heart disease is going regularly then is it cause for cancer? Chest pain means cancer? If I don't smoke or drinks.
Sir after surgery in Feb 2915 I was advised for radiotherapy by my oncologist but after going through the biopsy report the radiology doctor said it is not required if I insist then only he will give radiation .Other wise not required. Then I visited my my oncologist 4-5 times. He is saying everything is ok not to worry but I am really scared about the fibrosis. It's just like fungus. Every day I used to clean the same and very next day I found the same in plenty. Please suggest some remedy for fibrosis. Please.
I am 18 year old teenage girl. From last few weeks I'M feeling mild pain and abnormal swelling in breast. And size of my breast is increasing day by day. M getting concerned becz I do not like big boobs please help me What should I do.
Dear sir, I, 65 years old was had cancer in my UB but in 2009 my bladder was removed and so far I am regular under going required examination and the doctors says that now I am cancer free. I have learnt that the use of 1 tspf backing soda heated with 3 tspf of organic honey for 1 month eliminates all type of cancer, I wish to take it for 7 days as precautionary medicine. Kindly suggest will it be beneficial for me.
Actually last month my brother in law aged 44 expired due to metastatic cancer in pancreas & intrahepatic cancer in liver. I was surprised to see that being a fully fit man without any disease. Now I am very much tensed that it could happen with any one. Pl suggest me which/what type of test/treatment could be taken up as a precautionary step.
We live in an age where every single individual, more or less, is exposed to the risk of cancer. It is probably an unfavorable lifestyle we lead that deprives us of good health. This might alarm many but considerable changes in lifestyle can help you realize cancer as a preventable disease. Cancer does not only make you undergo severe suffering but it also affects your friends and family. The pallor of misery spreads wider than you think.
- Abstain from tobacco: Consuming raw tobacco or smoking tobacco can be equally detrimental to your health. Tobacco increases your chances of contracting the disease. As is known, passive smoking can also affect your health adversely. Tobacco can be the potential cause behind cancer of the mouth, throat, larynx, lungs, oral cavity and even the pancreas. It might harm your kidneys and cervix. It is upon you to quit tobacco at the earliest possible. One should also try and persuade friends and relatives to give up smoking.
- Drink alcohol in moderation: Complete abstinence from alcohol might not be possible if you have already been ushered into your work- life. The society might require you to be an occasional drinker. It is important to drink in moderation. Crossing the limit can propel consequences as serious as cancer of the stomach, pancreas, liver and the heart.
- A balanced and nutritious diet: Deciding on a plant- based diet or a Mediterranean diet can aid your fight against the risk of cancer. A Mediterranean diet will involve green leafy vegetables, lots of fresh fruits, whole grains, mixed nuts, legumes and also the use of extra- virgin olive oil. Fish can be a safe bet but red meat should be avoided. One must also try to avoid processed meat as they tend to make you prone to the risk of cancer.
- Immunization: Hepatitis B and HPV or Human papilloma virus vaccines are extremely necessary to protect you against the sexually transmitted types of cancer.
- Sun protection: Caring for your skin doesn't arise from vanity. Skin cancer is one of the most prevalent kinds of cancer; the chances of this disease can be restricted by remaining in shade especially during midday, by wearing covered clothes and by using a good sunscreen lotion repeatedly while outside.
- Exercise diligently: Did you think it was okay to have weaker muscles and bulging layers of fat? If yes, you probably have grown numb to the inadequacies you face in result. Unchecked fat can lead to obesity which further complicates health conditions. Metabolic activity differs from person to person. Regular exercising can help regulate metabolism according to the needs of your body. Physical exercise protects you against the risk of breast and colon cancer. Moderate or vigorous physical activity for 150 to 75 minutes a week respectively can reduce the risk of cancer. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Adopt a healthy lifestyle to reduce your risk of getting this disease:
1. Regular exercise - at least 30 mins of exercise 4 times a week
2. Avoid smoking
3. Avoid alcohol consumption
4. Over-weight and obese individuals have a higher incidence of breast cancer. Maintain your weight in the normal range (bmi - 18-25)
8. If there is a family history of breast cancer, do consult your oncologist to discuss your risk of breast cancer. Also discuss the need to getting genetic testing.
Breast cancer can also be detected early. Remember these three simple tips:
1. Be breast aware - do regular self examinations
2. Clinical breast examination by an experienced breast surgeon after the age of 35 years (annually)
3. Regular mammograms after 40 years of age
Cancer, the name itself sends chills down the spine! But every time we hear someone has cancer, though we feel sorry for them, we never think it could happen to us. But even though the probability of it may not be high at all, a disease that is rare can still hit you like a bolt from the blue! This is exactly the case with anal cancer, which is a very rare form of cancer. But, since the rates of its incidence are rising, it is well worth learning a few things about it.
Who is at Risk?
While it is unlikely that a person will contract anal cancer over the course of his life, asking himself a few questions about it so as to assess the risk he or she is at makes sense. To start off, age is an important factor. If a person is somewhere between middle age and old age, there is a far greater risk of anal cancer than a person who is not.
A person can easily reduce the risk of contracting anal cancer quite dramatically by doing something which is quite simple: refraining from anal sexual activity. This goes a rather long way as it means that a person is at a much lower risk of contracting HIV or HPV. HPV is far more common and affects most adults in sexual contact with each other. That being said, it is usually the type 16 variant of HPV which is linked to anal cancer. In order to reduce the chance of this, making good use of condoms is a very good idea but this does not eliminate the risk of transmission of HPV.
Smoking a cigarette may be great for a person to obtain a little bit of mental peace, but it has a really disastrous effect on the prospects of developing anal cancer at the same time. The chemicals that the body takes in are as harmful as they affect so many body tissues. There are many reasons to quit smoking but the fact that smokers have an eight time higher risk of developing anal cancer is probably among the good ones!
If a person is suffering from low immunity, it is quite possible that he or she is at a higher risk of developing the cancer, at least on a relative basis. This is because the ability of the body to fight back is lower. A person is especially weak after an organ transplant has taken place and if a person has HIV it further increases his or her risk of developing anal cancer.
Now, cutting the risk of anal cancer also involves possibly getting an HPV vaccination. The doctor is the person to talk to regarding this! When the risk of anal cancer is anyway minimal, it makes sense to cut it even further, by following a fit and healthy lifestyle.