Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Surgeons in India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Surgeons online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy Procedure
Treatment of Lumpectomy
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Kidney Stones Treatment
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Accident Injuries Treatment
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Prostate Laser Surgery
Urinary Incontinence Surgery
Stem Cell Transplant
Post Induction Therapy
Post Induction Transplant
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. S M RavishankarYour feedback matters!
When I sit on the chair for long time there is swelling in my foot. I also face this problem when I wear slippers and walk for long time.
I have lots of hair in my face My age 19 years please help me and because of this problem my periods are also not coming please help me about this.
I am 24 years female. I have a lump from anus to pernium. It is like skin and inside it something is at one side. Another is at lower anus. Sometimes blood on surface of stool. I am very much afraid .blood is seen only once in a month or like that but lump is there for around 3 months. Please help me. Am afraid if I have cancer. Marriage is fixed in may so before that I want to clear lump. Lump is the same colour as that skin on anus. Sometimes itching. Is there.
Skin complexion varies and is caused by the skin pigmentation known as ‘melanin’, produced by cells called melanocytes, which gives skin the colour. The more amount of melanin, the darker the complexion. Melanin has a protective effect against sun exposure, as it reduces damage caused by the sun on the skin. It is proven that people with a darker complexion (with more melanin) are less prone to damage from sun exposure.
What are they? Freckles are cells that contain more amount of melanin compared to the surrounding areas. It is a common sight where some people have small, tiny black/brown spots on their faces. These spots may also be present on the hands, elbows, neck, back, etc., but are most obvious in the face. These are known as freckles.
Causes: Freckles are very common, and they are triggered by exposure to sunlight. The melanocytes absorb the sun and produce more melanin, thereby causing freckles. They are a natural reaction of the skin to the sun.
It runs in families, and children are likely to have freckles if the parents had them.
It also depends on complexion – fair people are more prone to have freckles than dark people.
Tanning, whether done by the sun or in a salon, also increases the chances of having freckles.
In some people, the freckles appear in the summer and disappear in the winter.
While some precancerous lesions may start off as tiny brown spots and be mistaken for freckles, freckles per se are not cancerous.
Management: While there are stories that freckles are angel kisses, they are not true. Freckles do not bring any good luck charm and can be prevented and avoided to improve overall skin and esthetic appeal.
Prevention is the first option, and if you are genetically disposed to have freckles, it is best to take measures that can reduce freckles. Avoiding or reducing sun exposure and using good sun protection can help in reducing the number of freckles and the darkness of the freckles.
Freckles can be treated by one of the following:
Topical Creams- Though widely used, these contain bleaching agents which act on the entire skin and not just the freckles. Retin-A is one of the widely used products.
Laser- Considered the best method for freckle removal, a beam of the laser is used to get rid of the unwanted melanocytes which produce melanin. This not only reduces freckles, it also improves skin tone and colour.
Cryotherapy- Liquid nitrogen is used to freeze the melanin-producing cells, thereby removing freckles.
If you have freckles, try these measures for getting rid of them. Once that is done, preventing freckle formation with limiting sun exposure and sun protection is extremely essential. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.
My husband travels a lot and has lot of heat boils in the face and it keeps re appearing. Also the dandruff doesn't go off. Please advise a remedy for the same.
Laser hair removal is a permanent hair removal method that makes use of laser beams to reach the hair follicles before the light from the beam is absorbed by the same. This method is preferred by people who do not want to go in for traditional methods like waxing, tweezing and epilating as these require regular sessions and may not always be convenient.
So, here's all you need to know about laser hair removal:
- Precision: The laser beam that is set on to the skin gets absorbed by the pigment present in the hair follicles. Each pulse of this laser will take a nano second to treat many follicles at one time. The areas like the upper lip and the bikini line can be treated in a matter of minutes.
- Duration: Most people going through this treatment will require at least five to seven sessions so as to attain permanent hair loss.
- Preparation: The procedure does not merely consist of a process that zaps the unwanted hair. Considerable preparation has to go into it, especially since it a long term treatment method. Avoid waxing or electrolysis at least six weeks before the treatment as this may make the skin tender. Also, since the laser beams affect the hair roots that it can catch, it is best to have them grown out so that the procedure is more effective. Also, you will need to limit your time in the sun before going in for the procedure.
- Trimming: Before the procedure actually starts, the hair will require trimming. A few millimetres will be removed, just above the surface of the skin.
- Adjustments: Once the trimming is done, the laser equipment will be trained on your skin for a process of adjustment which will involve studying and adjusting as per the colour, thickness and the site of hair removal. Also, the adjustment will be done in terms of the skin colour.
- Protection: Before the laser pulses are administered, the expert will need to wear eye protection and cover the site of hair removal with a cooling gel that will protect the skin. Also, a test pulse will be administered on to a small patch first, in order to see if there is any reaction or inflammation.
- Aftermath: After the procedure, the application of anti-inflammatory creams and lotions will take place, following which the next session will be scheduled. Usually, the next session will be three to four weeks later.
You must make sure that you going to a well-known clinic where the laser hair removal process is conducted by an expert.