Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gynaecologists online in Chennai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Pregnancy and related Disorder
Treatment of Irregular Periods
Management of Pregnancy
Treatment of Ovarian Cysts
Management of Pregnancy Query
Management of Abortion
Treatment of Painful Periods
Avoiding Pregnancy Procedures
Treatment of Painful Sexual Intercourse
Treatment of Heavy Periods
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Treatment of Breast Pain
Treatment of Vaginal Discharge
Treatment of Miscarriage
Treatment of Vaginal Itching
Treatment of Fertility
Treatment of Delayed Periods
Treatment of Vaginal Infection
Submit a review for Dr. Premalatha BalachandranYour feedback matters!
The vagina is designed to keep itself clean with the help of natural secretions (discharge). Find out how to help your vagina keep clean and healthy ? and why you don?t need douches or vaginal wipes.
The vagina is a tube of muscle inside a woman?s body that runs from the cervix (the opening of the womb) to the vaginal opening. The external sex organs, which are called the vulva, surround the vaginal opening.
Looking after your everyday health can help keep your vagina in good shape, says Dr Suzy Elneil, consultant in urogynaecology at University College Hospital, London, and spokesperson for Wellbeing of Women. ?Generally, good vaginal health is maintained by making sure you?re in good general health,? she explains. ?This includes healthy diet and exercise. Normal exercise helps maintain good vaginal function, as walking and running helps the pelvic floor to tone up and helps ensure good general health.?
Find out more about having a healthy diet, exercise and keeping fit, and pelvic floor exercises.
Vaginal secretions or discharge
Other than your period as part of your natural menstrual cycle, it?s normal to produce clear or white secretions (discharge) from your vagina. This mucus is produced naturally from the neck of the womb, known as the cervix.
?Vaginal discharge is not ?always a bad sign?,? says Dr Elneil. ?There is a myth that copious clear or white discharge is associated with sexually transmitted infections. Changes in the amount of discharge can be 100% hormonal ? in other words, linked to the menstrual cycle, pregnancy or menopause.?
The character and amount of vaginal discharge varies throughout your menstrual cycle. Around the time that your ovary releases an egg (ovulation), your discharge usually becomes thicker and stretchy, like raw egg white.
Healthy discharge doesn?t have a strong smell or colour. You may feel an uncomfortable wetness, but you shouldn?t have any itching or soreness around your vagina. If there are any changes to your discharge that aren?t normal for you, such as a change in colour or if it starts to smell or itch, see your GP as you might have an infection.
You can find out more about vaginal discharge, pregnancy and the menopause.
Bacteria in the vagina
There are lots of bacteria inside the vagina, and they?re there to protect it. Professor Ronnie Lamont, spokesperson for the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, says: ?The vagina contains more bacteria than anywhere else in the body after the bowel, but the bacteria are there for a reason.?
The good bacteria inside the vagina:
Provide "numerical dominance: they outnumber other potential harmful bacteria that might enter the vagina
Help to keep the vagina?s pH balance (how acidic the vagina is) at an even level, which helps to keep the balance of bacteria healthy
Can produce bacteriocins (naturally occurring antibiotics) to reduce or kill other bacteria entering the vagina
Produce a substance that stops invading bacteria sticking to the vagina walls, which prevents bacteria from invading the tissues
If the balance of bacteria is disturbed, this can lead to infection and inflammation. Bacteria called lactobacilli help to keep the vagina?s pH balance at its normal low level (less than pH 4.5), which also prevents the growth of other organisms. If the pH of the vagina increases (in other words, if it gets less acidic), the quality or amount of lactobacilli can fall and other bacteria can multiply. This can result in infections such as bacterial vaginosis or thrush, which can cause symptoms including itching, irritation and abnormal discharge.
Washing your vagina
It?s a good idea to avoid perfumed soaps, gels and antiseptics as these can affect the healthy balance of bacteria and pH levels in the vagina, and cause irritation.
Use plain, unperfumed soaps to wash the area around the vagina (the vulva) gently every day. The vagina will clean itself inside your body with natural vaginal secretions (discharge). ?During your period, washing more than once a day may be helpful,? says Dr Elneil, who points out that keeping the perineal area (between the vagina and anus) clean is important too. ?Good perineal hygiene is necessary, by washing that area at least once a day using your normal bathing routines.?
?All women are different,? says Professor Lamont. ?Some may wash with perfumed soap and not notice any problems. But if a woman has vulval irritation or symptoms, then one of the first things you can do is to use non-allergenic, plain soaps to see if that helps.?
A douche flushes water up into the vagina, clearing out vaginal secretions. Some women use a douche to "clean" the vagina, but using a douche can disrupt the normal vaginal bacteria so it isn't recommended that you use one.
?I can?t think of any circumstances where douches are helpful, because all they do is wash out everything that?s in the vagina, including all the healthy bacteria,? explains Professor Lamont.
There is no evidence that douching protects against STIs or vaginal infections, and it may even increase the risk.
Scented wipes and vaginal deodorants
These perfumed products can disrupt the vagina?s healthy, natural balance. ?If nature had intended the vagina to smell like roses or lavender, it would have made the vagina smell like roses or lavender,? says Professor Lamont.
Washing with water and a plain soap should be all you need to keep your vagina healthy. It?s normal for the vagina to have a scent. ?Vaginal odour can change at different times of the reproductive cycle and shouldn?t always be thought of as being a sign of infection or illness,? says Dr Elneil.
If you?re worried about the way your vagina smells, if the smell is unpleasant, or you?re using perfumed products to cover up your vagina?s smell, you should see your GP. You might have an infection that needs treatment.
Im 36 years old. I hv two grown up kids. My problem is I hv not got my periods which was due on 2-11-16. My husband uses condom whenever we hv sex. And he never ejaculate inside me. Wat may be the result of delay in periods. Im worried.
This month I visited Tirupati vth family for I used tablets to stop my period. My period is on 21st. I used 10 tablets nd stop. It's already 2 day I stop still I don't get my period. Am I pregnant. If am pregnant can I take pregnancy test now. Or I have to wait.
I am 22 years old. My delivery date is 7 th February. But now is 11th July. Till now I have no period. What can I do? Please give me suggestion.
Does sweet decreases sex drive in female. Can you suggest what amount of sweet is fine for sex drive.
Sir I am 22 year old girl and my periods start on 13-14 day of every months and I want to sex without any protection so give me advice on what time I do sex there is zero chance of pregnancy.
I had sex with ma bf n that is unprotected on 15 jan n after dat I take ipill n I had bleeding for 4 days but dat to light flow on 21 jan n again v had sex on 2 feb bt dat he came inside I think n after that I take another pill n I hd bleeding again on 8 of feb please help me.
I got married in june and attained pregnancy in July but miscarriage occurred in Sep. BUT after that seven months passed I am getting pregnant. Test like thyroid. starch test. Were referred ok. please tell me exact problem.
Hi sir, I am a 22 year old. I had miscarriage 5 month ago, bleeding happened for 20 days for 2 months. I consulted with a Dr. And done a ultrasound. Dr. said everything is okay. She gave me pain killer that worked my pain gone lesser. But after 2 month in my blood reports I found hormone levels r very high and its started to pain very heavily again the same pain that I had during miscarriage. I do not know what to do. Where to go. Kindly guide me why this happening again after 5 months?
My gynac has given Letroz (letrozole tablets) along with Alivher ES (sildenafil citrate and estradiol valerate tablets). On cycle day 5 my follicle size was 14 mm, can I conceive in this month?
HI, I need to check about pregnancy. My wife had her last period on Jan 29th 2017 and every month she get her period 5-6 days early. This month it should have happened on 23-24 Feb but it didn’t happen and on 27th Feb night there was light bleeding not red color & she had all those pregnancy symptoms. But on 28th Feb the bleeding was more and she had cramp also, the bleeding is more than usually period. Let me know about this. She had head spin also from last 4 days. Please help me with this. And I had one doubt will it bleed before pregnancy when egg attached & if yes how long Thank you.
I am 27 yr old unmarried female with t3 and t4 normal, tsh 4.2 after taking 25mcg thyronorm tablet, containing left ovarian cyst of 22×24 mm in size. I am taking ocp and metformin twice daily still bleeding very less 2 days with scanty flow lh value 6.11, Fsh 5.15 Prolactin 27.92 and hb 13.6 on 2nd day of period. Kindly help me reason of scanty period and what should be done.
Is there any medicine to increase the level of regestrone n is it harmful to take regestrone tablets.
Radiology is a specialized branch of science concerned with the treatment and diagnosis of diseases through high energy radiation or X-rays. Interventional radiology also known as vascular radiology is a subspecialty of radiology. Interventional radiology involves the use of a variety of techniques for diagnosing or treating a particular disease. Some of these techniques are Ultrasound, MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) and X-ray among the others.
Radiology has several advantages. Six prime advantages of Radiology are mentioned below:
- Radiology and Interventional radiology are sometimes completely non-invasive or less invasive methods of diagnosis and treatment. These diagnostic and treatment procedures involve the use of digital imaging or photographic images and needle insertion.
- Radiology is a less expensive method of treatment as compared to other surgical or medicinal treatment procedures.
- Blood vessel diseases like narrowing of arteries, which obstructs smooth flow of the blood, hemorrhage, blood clots and vein blockage can be easily treated with the help of radiology.
- Radiology can effectively treat benign or malignant tumors. It destroys the tumor in situ (original position of growth) and also counters tumors that has spread to other parts of the body due to metastasis( the process through which cancer cells spread from its original position to the other organs of the body).
- The procedure of radiology can also be used for inserting feeding tube into a patient's body or for the purpose of draining out fluids from the abdominal region or chest.
- Radiology is considered to be a popular treatment for treating different stone diseases such as kidney stones or gallstones.
All radiological procedures are conducted by or under the supervision of experienced specialists known as Radiologists.
I am 24 years old male and going to have sex first time that's why don't want to use any protection but don't want pregnancy also. Please suggest needful.
What is meant by d and c is it done to a women who is not pregnant yet. Is it safe are not please reply.
Hi sir I am ravi. My wife have not getting period in this month. Last 4th april period came. I am using condom what should I do? Please reply.
What is the feasible time to get pregnant after periods kindly suggest we trying from last three months.
For our bodies and psyches to work ideally, all parts of our systems require a sufficient supply of blood. At the point when blood is flowing as it needs to, our cells get the fuel that they need to carry out their functions. However, when the blood supply gets off course or the circulation is compromised, a great deal can go wrong.
Poor circulation happens when blood cannot satisfactorily move through veins, vessels and supply routes. It is frequently brought about by plaque development, which obstructs the flow of the blood through its assigned channels. It might likewise be a consequence of a stationary way of life, or poor cardiovascular capacity. One regular indication of below average course is frosty cool hands and feet. However, here are some of the herbs that can help improve the blood circulation:
- Gingko biloba: Most renowned for its impact of upgrading memory and intellectual execution, gingko biloba finishes this errand by enhancing flow all through the brain. The cancer-prevention agent mixes found in gingko biloba additionally increase blood circulation to all parts of the body. It may enhance sexual dysfunction caused by poor flow to the privates. These staggering tree leaves additionally boost energy levels, and are particularly noted for enhancing circulation through the eyes, avoiding eye problems, including those which may lead to visual impairment.
- Cayenne pepper: The warming impression that cayenne pepper makes in your body is an indication that it is giving a push to your flow. This notable flavor, which initially hails from India, enhances flow, as well as splits up the plaque improving the supply route dividers. It tries to detoxify the blood, and in addition, reinforce cardiovascular muscles. Also, cayenne helps in assimilation, supplement retention, modifying red platelets and has been seen to dial down the heart palpitations, apart from offering common alleviation from pain and aggravation.
- Hawthorn: Hawthorn is a bush identified with rosebush, which develops wild in woody ranges around the world. Concentrates are got from the leaves, flowers and berries of the hawthorn shrub. The oligomeric procyanidins found in hawthorn may enhance general flow by relaxing veins, and guarding them from harm. This, as a result, can bring down pulse, enhance cardiovascular capacity and keep heart diseases at bay. Hawthorn has additionally been found very useful for individuals who have encountered and are recovering from heart attacks. These advantages incorporate decreasing anxiety and facilitating neck pain.
- Ginger root: While ginger is best known for helping in processing, it likewise has the quality of regulating the blood flow. Like different herbs and flavors that support course, it transports supplements all through the body productively. Ginger may bring down LDL "bad" cholesterol. Along these lines, it lessens the danger of heart illness. For women encountering their menstrual cycle, ginger can be exceptionally beneficial, as it has blood-stimulating properties that can decrease stomach cramping.
- Pine bark extract: Pine bark extract is taken from the internal bark of a pine tree species. It contains active compounds that can help to both reinforce veins and improve the immune system. This can bring down circulatory strain, and guarantee that all phones get a sufficient supply of oxygen. This concentrate may also help in diminishing edema (irritation brought about by liquid development in tissues) of the legs. Pine bark fundamental oil can be profoundly helpful for this reason. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.