Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Prema Krishnaswami
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Prema KrishnaswamiYour feedback matters!
Hi. I am 5 week pregnant. Whenever I sleep on right side I feel some kind a pain in my stomach. Is it safe to sleep on right side?
Please suggest. Is pregnancy possible by rubbing penis on vagina .but there is no ejaculation takes place and penis is not inserted and girls is virgin.Please suggest.
As it is rightly said ‘Nutrition starts at Conception’. Diet plays a vital role in physical and mental development of the child right from the conception. An expectant mother must make sure to follow the right diet.
There is much hyped misconception about following healthy dietary habits during pregnancy for benefit of her little one, but that’s untrue. If a to be mother manages to follow a good and nutritionally adequate diet, it will in fact help her as well to achieve healthy weight gain, comfortable child birth and most importantly helping her body to prepare for post-delivery weight loss. A physically and mentally fit mother makes a happy and active child.
By following a healthy and balanced diet throughout her 9 months and 9 days of pregnancy will immensely benefit her unborn. Inclusion of foods from all the food groups will be an added benefit. The following content will help an expectant mother to make wise choices during her pregnancy, making sure she remains healthy throughout.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates form nearly 55 to 60% of total calorie consumption in Indian diets. They are majorly divided into two types i.e. Simple and Complex variants. A child bearer should opt for the complex carbohydrates in form of wholegrains like whole wheat, bajra, sorghum (jowar), finger millet (ragi / nachni), oats, etc. in her diet as they have higher fiber content with preserved vitamins and minerals. Simple carbohydrates majorly include more of refined products (maida, packaged foods), which should be used in limits or avoided throughout the pregnancy phase, as they do not provide any nourishment.
- Proteins: Proteins are said to be the building blocks of the body, involved in steady metabolism and repair of the damaged tissues, making them an integral part of mother’s and baby’s nourishment. Consuming protein rich foods like eggs, low fat dairy, pulses, yogurts, soy and its products at least 3 to 4 times a day, helps optimise the recommended daily allowance (RDA) intake of protein per day. Vegetarian mothers have to be more careful and be innovative to make sure that their protein consumption is not compromised.
- Fats: Fats play an important role in transporting Fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K to liver. Fat intake should not be completely discouraged during pregnancy, since it is a concentrated form of energy and is actively involved in hormone making mechanism in the body. Fat intake is important, but within prescribed limits and there should be insistence on inclusion of good fats. Keeping diet restricted in bakery products, fried foods and junk foods will massively help in preventing inappropriate weight gain and also reducing the possibility of potential risk factors during & post pregnancy. Omega 3 fats present in walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, spinach should be taken as it tremendously helps in mental development of the growing baby.
Macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins and fats) intake through daily allowance will make sure an expectant mum gets her required nutrition. However, nutrients like Iron, calcium, folic acid, B complex vitamins also play a vital role in maintenance of healthy pregnancy. Daily allowance should be met by consuming green leafy vegetables, nuts, fresh fruits, etc.
Apart from getting daily calories allowance, it is equally important to stay hydrated. Water aids digestion, which helps to keep constipation at bay and also helps in maintaining optimal levels of amniotic fluid in the amniotic sac.
Expectant mother should divide her meals in small and frequent portions to combat acidity, bloating which are most common troubles associated with pregnancy. She should highly be motivated to be physically active and get adequate rest as well.
A special attention should be given to keep salt and sugar intake to minimal, as they contribute to unnecessary weight gain and bloating. They are also known to delay the labour process.
Conclusion / Bottom line
Maternal Nutrition plays a vital role in maintaining a healthy and blissful pregnancy. It is highly recommended to seek nutrition advice from a nutrition expert preferably before planning a child as a healthy diet will help in conception as well as during & post pregnancy.
Yesterday I had taken misoprostol 2 tablet at morning thn the cramp and bleeding starts and when I had taken last 2 dose at evening I was able to feel the pain and bleeding like I was in a mornings. I don't understand why.
If my wife gets her periods after every 30 days or so, how effective would be the calendar method to avoid pregnancy? Is it safe even if the days are less than 30?
Fluid Collection in IVF-Myths and Facts
IVF is a finer treatment option for childless couples but it needs a better understanding before opting for it.It has lots of Myths and Facts associated with it.Patients often have fear of side effects of medicines used to stimulate their ovaries to grow their eggs.
One such side effect is Accumulation of fluid in the body what we call medically as OHSS (Ovarian Hyper stimulation Syndrome) but its not a uniform feature in all IVF patients.OHSS has a tendency to happen in selective group of patients with high risk factors which can be predicted and prevented.So via this write up our focus is on to single out such predisposing factors so that appropriate measures can be taken on time.Its not only duty of a treating doctor but a patient also needs to be aware than landing up with sudden surprises and bitter experiences.
Why is it a concern?
• Marked increase in patient population in infertility clinics
• Changing lifestyle
• Advances in the field of ART – act as a Double edged sword with pros and cons
• ART technology – is more patient friendly, with less complication with cost still a limiting factor with no 100% guarantee
What is OHSS?
It is a Life Threatening medical (Iatrogenic, drug induced) Complication and unique to the treatment of infertility with an an acute onset but reversible in nature with enlarged ovaries with cysts and fluid accumulation in body cavities to variable extent depending on gravity and grade
What are types of OHSS ?
Mild, Moderate, Severe and Critical
Who all have risk to develop OHSS?
• Young age, Low body mass index
• Higher doses of exogenous gonadotropins
• HighEstradiol levels with rapid rise
• Previous episodes of OHSS
• Multiple developing follicles(20-25)
• Exogenous hCG for superovulation/ luteal support
• Multiple Pregnancy
• Serum factors increasing permeability of blood vessels
I am 35 year old female I have been fading to get pregnant, I consulted with doctor and after the check up he told me I have polyester ovarian, and pute on matformin, is their any chance I get pregnant.
I"M married 4 month back and we decided to go for baby but still now no sign of pregnancy, Want to ask gynecologist.
Thirty is more or less the age by which you can consider yourself a woman of the world. You have toiled hard to get into a comfortable space at work and are into a stable relationship as well. An important aspect to not ignore is your sexual life. Be equipped with the right ideas and ways to enjoy that aspect of your life.
Some facts and tips for the women of today.
1. Safety is foremost: meaningless hookups or otherwise - you cannot be careless; safety must be your priority.
2. Express yourself: men are bad at guessing. They will not be able to guess what you like and how you like it. Tell the man exactly what you expect.
3. Live in the moment: a quickie is never a bad idea. Having frequent sex has its perks for your mood as well as overall health. An impromptu quickie will only put a spring to your steps.
4. Watch each other pleasuring self: it is not just for visual appeal, it is in fact educative - you get to study exactly what type of touch, speed, grip, etc gives him the most pleasure. He gets to know the same about you.
5. Take the initiative: most men like being shown that they are desired too. Why should he always initiate sex. Take the lead.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on consult.